Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
great white shark
Stories 21 - 40 |
We May Never Hear
From 'Diplomat for
the Ocean' Again
Apr 14, 2020 9:29 AM CDT
We May Never Hear From 'Diplomat for the Ocean' Again
Battery on transmitter for Katharine the great white shark is beyond expected life, emitting weak pings
- Katharine, the great white shark with thousands of fans , has resurfaced for the first time in nearly a year. The 14-foot-long shark tagged as a juvenile off the coast of Cape Cod in August 2013 was last heard from off the coast of Charleston, SC, in May 2019 . The following...
One-Ton Great White
Frolicking Off Florida Coast
Oct 29, 2019 7:42 AM CDT
One-Ton Great White Frolicking Off Florida Coast
Unama'ki, 2nd largest white shark tracked in NW Atlantic by nonprofit, started out in Nova Scotia
- A giant she-shark has been working her way down the East Coast from Canada, and her latest sighting is in the waters off of Florida. CNN reports the 1-ton great white—named Unama'ki, a term used by the Mi'kmaq First Nations people to mean "land of the...
Great White Leaves Water
to Steal Family's Catch
Jul 21, 2019 11:15 AM CDT
Great White Leaves Water to Steal Family's Catch
Shark takes fish off line in Cape Cod Bay
- A family fishing in Cape Cod Bay had an up-close and personal encounter with a great white shark that leaped out of the water to snatch a fish they had caught right off the line. Doug Nelson, of Franklin, who caught the leaping shark on video on Saturday, told New...
Long Island Gets
a First-Time Visitor
May 21, 2019 6:03 AM CDT
Long Island Gets a First-Time Visitor
A Great White named Cabot drops by Long Island Sound
- A 9-foot-long great white shark turned his nose into Long Island Sound en route from Delaware, marking a first for the ocean research group that tracks him. "Be advised! For the first time ever, we are tracking a white shark in the Long Island Sound," OCEARCH tweeted Monday...
Massive Great White
Off SC Isn't Alone
May 16, 2019 10:50 AM CDT
Massive Great White Off SC Isn't Alone
Luna, Katharine among OCEARCH sharks pinging off East Coast
- Think twice before dipping your toes off the Carolinas. OCEARCH is currently tracking at least eight great white sharks in that region, including a 15-foot female that's among the two largest sharks ever tagged by the nonprofit ocean research group. Luna—named for Lunenburg, Nova Scotia, where the shark...
This Might Be Great White
Sharks' Biggest Advantage
in case you missed it
Feb 23, 2019 7:30 AM CST
This Might Be Great White Sharks' Biggest Advantage
Decoded genome sheds light on how they heal their own wounds, stay healthy
- Scientists for the first time have decoded the genome of the great white shark, and the results show that humans have much to learn from the long-lived creatures. The sharks' genes seem especially suited to healing their own wounds and warding off illness, reports
. "These include DNA sequences...
With One of
Jan 18, 2019 1:00 PM CST
She Swam With One of Biggest Sharks Ever Seen
In fact, it might be THE biggest ever
- Two shark researchers who came face to face with what could be one of the largest great whites ever recorded are using their encounter as an opportunity to push for legislation that would protect sharks in Hawaii. Ocean Ramsey, a shark researcher and conservationist, told the AP that she encountered...
Shark Sightings, Encounters
off Cape Cod Up in 2018
Aug 31, 2018 5:40 PM CDT
Shark Sightings, Encounters off Cape Cod Up in 2018
This month brought the first attack on a human since 2012
- As another beach season draws to a close on Cape Cod, researchers are trying to figure out what's driving the increase in shark sightings and encounters—including Massachusetts' first attack on a human since 2012. One prominent researcher suggests the presence of younger and smaller great white sharks this...
Shark's Sudden U-Turn
'Could Mean Something Big'
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jul 15, 2018 2:30 PM CDT
Shark's Sudden U-Turn 'Could Mean Something Big'
Great white just headed into deep waters off the Carolinas, and it could mean she's pregnant
- We can't exactly give EPT tests to sharks in the wild to find out if they're pregnant, but scientists think there may be another clue. Shark-tracking group OCEARCH tells the
News & Observer
it's been following a great white named Miss Costa, and the nearly 1,700-pound...
Jun 21, 2018 5:37 PM CDT
Investigation Into Shark's Death Turns Criminal
Juvenile male washed ashore on California beach
- A great white shark with cuts and puncture wounds on its body washed ashore, dead, on a beach in Aptos, Calif., Sunday, and law enforcement officials with the state Department of Fish and Wildlife are investigating. The male shark, believed to be a juvenile, weighed about 500 pounds and was...
She Was Kayaking,
Then a 'Big Bang'
Oct 23, 2017 10:15 AM CDT
She Was Kayaking, Then a 'Big Bang'
Sarah Williams, her dad recount frightening experience in Australia
- It was "everything you picture in the
movie," minus the bloody death. A 15-year-old Australian teen relates her harrowing encounter with what's believed to have been a great white shark on Sunday. ABC reports Sarah Williams was fishing for squid in a kayak off the Normanville...
Inside the Quest for the
Shark Repellent 'Holy Grail'
Aug 31, 2017 6:48 PM CDT
Inside the Quest for the Shark Repellent 'Holy Grail'
'It just consumed me'
- "I have yet to see an anti-shark device that I, somebody who studies sharks and shark attacks, would plop down money for," ichthyologist George Burgess says. But that hasn't stopped shark experts and entrepreneurs from chasing the "holy grail" of a completely effective shark repellent,
'Biggest Scam of 2017': Phelps'
Race Against a Great White
Jul 24, 2017 7:03 AM CDT
'Biggest Scam of 2017': Phelps' Race Against a Great White
Fans didn't realize he'd be racing against computer-generated sharks, not real ones
- It was supposed to be the event of the summer. Well, OK,
event of the summer—but Michael Phelps fans still had high hopes for the swimming champ's much-hyped race Sunday against a bunch of sharks. They didn't read the fine print, however, and
Michael Phelps' Next Opponent
Has Never Heard of Him
Jun 16, 2017 2:30 PM CDT
Michael Phelps' Next Opponent Has Never Heard of Him
Because it's a dang great white shark
- Is he high ? Mashable reports Michael Phelps will race a great white shark for Discovery Channel's inescapable Shark Week. The mechanics of the race are unclear—Mashable is concerned the shark won't understand it's supposed to race the Olympian, not eat him—and a press release...
'There's a Shark in My Boat!'
Fisherman Gets Big Surprise
May 29, 2017 7:29 AM CDT
'There's a Shark in My Boat!' Fisherman Gets Big Surprise
The 440-pound visitor was nearly 9 feet long
- An Australian fisherman was nearly the catch of the day when a great white shark leaped into his boat. Terry Selwood, 73, was moored off New South Wales on Saturday afternoon when the 440-pound, 9-foot uninvited guest landed in his 15-foot boat. "I caught a blur of something,"...
Washing Ashore in South Africa:
Great Whites With No Livers
May 12, 2017 4:04 PM CDT
Washing Ashore in South Africa: Great Whites With No Livers
Researchers think orcas are killing them
- Over four days in early May, three dead great white sharks washed ashore in South Africa—with their livers missing. Researchers with the Dyer Island Conservation Trust did necropsies and came to the conclusion that, based on the sharks' injuries, orcas likely killed them and ate their livers, the researchers...
Cape Cod's Hot New
Tourists: Great Whites
Mar 12, 2017 9:37 AM CDT
Cape Cod's Hot New Tourists: Great Whites
Number of sharks is on the rise as predators follow seals
- Great white sharks are discovering what tourists have known for years: Cape Cod is a great place to spend the summer. The latest data from a multiyear study found that the number of sharks in waters off the vacation haven is on the rise, Greg Skomal, a scientist with the...
Fans Freak as
Returns to Florida
Jan 12, 2017 10:03 AM CST
Fans Freak as Famous Shark Returns to Florida
Welcome back, Katharine
- One of the world's most famous sharks has returned to Florida to the delight of her 43,000 Twitter followers. The 14-foot-long great white, Katharine, tagged off Cape Cod by OCEARCH in 2013, stuck her dorsal fin out of the water Sunday long enough for her tracker to register...
Terrifying Video Shows
Great White Shark
Breaching Diver Cage
Oct 14, 2016 12:34 PM CDT
Terrifying Video Shows Great White Shark Breaching Diver Cage
But videographer says shark was not attacking
- Going scuba diving specifically to spot great white sharks maybe already didn't sound like a super safe idea, and after watching the terrifying video captured by a California man on vacation in Mexico, you may take it off your bucket list once and for all. The man captured the...
Boy, 6, Hooks
Great White Shark
Off Cape Cod
Jul 12, 2016 12:40 AM CDT
Boy, 6, Hooks Great White Shark Off Cape Cod
Texas family cut fishing line to free it
- "We're going to need a bigger boat." That's what Lars White told his 6-year-old son, Blake, after the boy hooked a great white shark while fishing Saturday off Cape Cod, Mass., the AP reports. The Houston resident told the
Cape Cod Times
that the 10- to...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Former WWE Star Sentenced to 17 Years After Fatal DUI Crash
Pence: Errant Comma in Book Affects Meaning of Trump Line
Google Maps: We're Going to Scrap That Desert Detour
Dolly Parton's Sister Has a NSFW Message for Critics
Sandy Hook Families Give Alex Jones Options for Paying
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.