Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
great white shark
Stories 1 - 20 |
Great White Begins
His Summer Vacation
Off Long Island
Jun 7, 2023 8:42 AM CDT
Great White Begins His Summer Vacation Off Long Island
400-pound Jekyll was spotted over the weekend off of Quogue
- Last year saw a good number of shark sightings and even attacks off the coast of Long Island, and the summer 2023 season has already kicked off with the former. NBC New York reports that a great white was spotted Friday night and had neared the coastline by Sunday morning....
She Cooked and
Ate a Great White.
Now, an Apology
Feb 22, 2023 2:30 AM CST
She Cooked and Ate a Great White. Now, an Apology
Chinese food blogger was fined $18.5K after noshing on protected species, showing it online
- Chinese food blogger Tizi is apologizing after one of her viral social media videos showed her eating what turned out to be a protected great white shark. She insists the online seafood seller from whom she procured the shark, and with whom she had worked before, assured her it was...
Great White Does U-Turn
After Hitting Jersey Shore
May 11, 2022 10:25 AM CDT
Great White Does U-Turn After Hitting Jersey Shore
But Ironbound will be back north soon
- Ironbound sounds like a good name for a massive floating vessel. This Ironbound is pretty close to that. A huge great white shark who was so christened when it was tagged on October 3, 2019, off Nova Scotia has recently been spotted off the US coast. CNN reports Ironbound pinged...
Shark Attack Was
So Brutal It Lost a Tooth
Mar 30, 2022 10:35 AM CDT
Shark Attack Was So Brutal It Lost a Tooth
Great white carried out fatal Dec. 24 assault on Tomas Butterfield in Morro Bay, Calif.
- A California bodyboarder killed on Christmas Eve met a great white shark, who left huge bite marks and a tooth behind, according to an autopsy report. Tomas Abraham Butterfield, 42, of Sacramento left his mother's home in Morro Bay, which he was visiting for the holidays, to head to...
Our Vision of Legendary
Shark Is Flawed
Feb 10, 2022 2:03 PM CST
Our Vision of Legendary Shark Is Flawed
Researchers say we actually don't know what giant megalodon looked like
- We know
was a massive shark, about three times as long as the largest great white shark ever recorded. But we don't know much else about the appearance of the beast that swam around Earth's oceans between 3.6 million and 15 million years ago, despite...
Study Delves Into Why
Sharks Bite Humans
in case you missed it
Oct 31, 2021 12:10 PM CDT
Study Delves Into Why Sharks Bite Humans
'We just happen to look like their food'
- Australian researchers say a GoPro and an underwater scooter have helped deepen our understanding of why great white sharks bite humans—namely, that in some cases it really is a case of mistaken identity. Their study, published in the
Journal of The Royal Society Interface
, involved using that camera and...
Calif. Surfer 'Still in Disbelief
I'm Alive' After Shark Attack
Oct 8, 2021 10:10 AM CDT
Calif. Surfer 'Still in Disbelief I'm Alive' After Shark Attack
Great white clamped down on Eric Steinley's left leg, damaging artery
Two surgeries later, Eric Steinley is "still in disbelief that I'm alive" after coming face to face with a great white shark. The surfer says he was dragged underwater Sunday at California's Salmon Creek Beach when a great white confirmed to be at least 10 feet...
Jun 6, 2021 11:30 AM CDT
Tiger Sharks Are Pretty Brave During Hurricanes
Other species flee, but one species seems to see opportunity
- Researchers have found before that smaller types of sharks flee shallow water as a hurricane approaches. But it looks like one response doesn't fit all large sharks, a study published in
Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science
indicates. Tiger sharks didn't go anywhere as Hurricane Mathew neared the Bahamas...
6 Years After Shark Attack,
Man Who Lost Leg
Allowed to Keep Tooth
May 4, 2021 4:49 PM CDT
6 Years After Shark Attack, Man Who Lost Leg Allowed to Keep Tooth
Australian authorities decided to make an exception
- Under South Australian state law, great white sharks are a protected species and it is illegal to possess any part of them—but authorities decided to make an exception for a surfer who argued that since a shark got his leg, he should be allowed to keep its tooth. Chris...
Man Explains What
Great-White Attack Felt Like
Dec 8, 2020 5:08 PM CST
Man Explains What Great-White Attack Felt Like
Surfer had to paddle to shore then walk 1K feet for help
- Dion Lynch says it felt like "being hit by a truck." ABC reports he was sitting on his board in the waters off Kangaroo Island, and turned to the left to see what had barreled into him—and saw the shark as it let go. It was a...
Off California Coast,
It's a Shark Baby Boom
Nov 6, 2020 1:00 PM CST
Off California Coast, It's a Shark Baby Boom
But people are 'not on the menu,' researcher says
- Baby sharks are thriving off the coast of California, researchers say—and when they go hunt, they're a lot more interested in stingrays than people. Chris Lowe, director of the shark lab at California State University, Long Beach, says he's tagged 38 juvenile great white sharks so far...
Long-Lived Great White
Given a Fitting Name
Oct 6, 2020 12:29 PM CDT
Long-Lived Great White Given a Fitting Name
'Queen of the Ocean' is tagged and released off Nova Scotia
- We may be losing our link to one great white shark, but we have another, much larger one to fascinate us in Katherine's place. Off the east coast of Canada, OCEARCH, the nonprofit that tracks marine life, has just tagged a female great white measuring just over 17 feet...
Shark That Killed Woman
in Maine Was Great White
Jul 28, 2020 5:34 PM CDT
Shark That Killed Woman in Maine Was Great White
Researcher identified shark through tooth fragment
- Authorities in Maine said Tuesday the shark that killed a woman in a rare attack off the state's coast was a great white, the same type of shark that served as the inspiration for the movie
. The shark bite killed Julie Dimperio Holowach, 63, of New York City,...
Extremely Rare: Maine
Swimmer Killed in Shark Attack
Jul 28, 2020 4:00 AM CDT
Extremely Rare: Maine Swimmer Killed in Shark Attack
It may have been a great white, expert says
- In what an expert says is a tragic first in Maine, a swimmer was killed in a shark attack Monday afternoon. The woman was swimming off Bailey Island in Harpswell when she was attacked; two kayakers brought her and another woman who was swimming with her to shore. The victim...
Killed by a
Jul 12, 2020 12:50 PM CDT
Teen Surfer Killed by a 'Really Big Great White'
Mani Hart-Deville, 15, lost his life in Australia on Saturday
- A teen surfer died Saturday after a suspected shark attack left him with severe leg injuries, Australia's News Network reports. Seems 15-year-old Mani Hart-Deville was surfing in New South Wales, Australia, when the shark bit him and other surfers dragged the wounded boy to shore on Wooli Beach. "...
Cape Cod Warns About
Getting Back in the Water
Jun 30, 2020 2:55 PM CDT
Cape Cod Warns About Getting Back in the Water
They say great white sharks are coming close to shore
- Cape Cod's beaches and towns may be quieter because of the coronavirus pandemic, but officials are reminding visitors ahead of the July 4th holiday that the famous Massachusetts getaway remains a popular destination for other summertime travelers: great white sharks. Cape Cod National Seashore Chief Ranger Leslie Reynolds warned...
Jun 7, 2020 8:27 AM CDT
Shark Kills Aussie Surfer
Great white kills 60-year-old in 3rd fatal attack this year
- A great white shark attacked a 60-year-old Australian surfer Sunday morning, causing injuries to the man's left leg that proved fatal despite two men who fought off the shark and dragged the victim to shore for first aid, reports Sky News . The beach in South Kingscliff, New South Wales,...
Shark Kills Calif. Surfer
May 10, 2020 6:11 AM CDT
Shark Kills Calif. Surfer
26-year-old man was within 100 yards of shore at Manresa State Beach
- A surfer was killed in a shark attack off a Northern California beach, state park officials said Saturday. The 26-year-old man was surfing off Manresa State Beach on the northern end of Monterey Bay around 1:30pm when he was attacked by an unknown shark species, the California State Parks...
We May Never Hear
From 'Diplomat for
the Ocean' Again
Apr 14, 2020 9:29 AM CDT
We May Never Hear From 'Diplomat for the Ocean' Again
Battery on transmitter for Katharine the great white shark is beyond expected life, emitting weak pings
- Katharine, the great white shark with thousands of fans , has resurfaced for the first time in nearly a year. The 14-foot-long shark tagged as a juvenile off the coast of Cape Cod in August 2013 was last heard from off the coast of Charleston, SC, in May 2019 . The following...
One-Ton Great White
Frolicking Off Florida Coast
Oct 29, 2019 7:42 AM CDT
One-Ton Great White Frolicking Off Florida Coast
Unama'ki, 2nd largest white shark tracked in NW Atlantic by nonprofit, started out in Nova Scotia
- A giant she-shark has been working her way down the East Coast from Canada, and her latest sighting is in the waters off of Florida. CNN reports the 1-ton great white—named Unama'ki, a term used by the Mi'kmaq First Nations people to mean "land of the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
26-Year-Old Tech CEO Found Dead in Baltimore
Judge Rules Trump Committed Fraud
3 Boys 'Paid the Ultimate Price' for Mom's Addiction
Young Baltimore Tech CEO Allegedly Killed by Violent Repeat Offender
We Have a Date for Mass Extinction of Mammals
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.