Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Dec 17, 2021 2:05 PM CST
Trump's Push to Oust McConnell Is Misfiring
Politico: Not a single Republican senator is on board
- Donald Trump has escalated his attacks on Mitch McConnell of late, but Politico reports that the former president's push to oust McConnell as Senate Republican leader is fizzling. Not a single GOP senator has expressed support for the idea, and the story notes that only two GOP senatorial candidates...
McConnell Tried to Bar Trump
From Inauguration, Book Says
Nov 15, 2021 2:55 PM CST
McConnell Tried to Bar Trump From Inauguration, Book Says
Former president responds by calling senator 'old crow'
- Sen. Mitch McConnell wanted to shut Donald Trump out of President Biden’s inauguration, a new book claims. ABC News Washington correspondent Jonathan Karl says in
that the Kentucky Republican was more concerned with the danger of giving the outgoing president an opportunity to disrupt the peaceful transfer of...
GOP Turns Back
Voting Rights Bill
Oct 20, 2021 6:45 PM CDT
GOP Turns Back Voting Rights Bill
Democrats to lobby each other on changing filibuster rule after another loss
- Republican senators put a stop Wednesday to Democratic legislation to overhaul elections. The Freedom to Vote Act needed 60 votes; the count was 49-51, the Hill reports. "For every two steps forward, sometimes there are those who try to pull us one step back," Sen. Chuck Schumer said....
Oct 7, 2021 7:47 PM CDT
Debt Ceiling Deal Clears Senate
We're good until December
The Senate dodged a US debt disaster Thursday night, voting to extend the government’s borrowing authority into December and temporarily avert an unprecedented federal default that experts warned would devastate the economy and harm millions of Americans. The vote of 50-48 in support of the bill to raise...
Democrats Say They'll
Take Deal on Debt Limit
Oct 6, 2021 5:50 PM CDT
Democrats Say They'll Take Deal on Debt Limit
Mitch McConnell offered short-term extension
Both sides claimed victory Wednesday after Democratic senators agreed to accept Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell's offer of a short-term deal on raising the debt limit, Politico reports. After a closed-door caucus meeting, Senate Democrats said they were prepared to accept the Republican's offer of an emergency...
Biden Tells GOP to 'Get Out
of the Way' on Debt Limit
Oct 4, 2021 5:25 PM CDT
Biden Tells GOP to 'Get Out of the Way' on Debt Limit
McConnell says Dems must handle issue alone
- President Biden on Monday urged Republican senators to “get out of the way” and let Democrats suspend the nation’s debt limit, hoping to keep the US government from bumping dangerously close to a credit default as Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell refuses to lend his party’s help....
Colbert Uses Willy Wonka
to Explain Congress
Sep 30, 2021 10:10 AM CDT
Colbert Uses Willy Wonka to Explain Congress
He sings about 'reconciliation' in a top hat
- Congress is nearing the end of a monumental week , one in which lawmakers are trying to avert a shutdown as they consider two huge pieces of legislation that could decide the fate of President Biden's legislative agenda. Stephen Colbert attempted to explain all this Wednesday night, in particular the...
Trump, McConnell's Icy
Relationship Just Got Icier
Sep 20, 2021 9:03 AM CDT
Trump, McConnell's Icy Relationship Just Got Icier
'WSJ' report says former president is seeking GOPers to challenge the ex-Senate majority leader
- If you've been wondering about Sen. Mitch McConnell's standing in the eyes of former President Trump—well, it doesn't appear to be too high. The
Wall Street Journal
reports that Trump has been gunning for the Senate minority leader from Kentucky, working behind the scenes to find...
McConnell: 'There Isn't
Going to Be an Impeachment'
Sep 1, 2021 6:20 PM CDT
McConnell: 'There Isn't Going to Be an Impeachment'
'The way these behaviors get adjusted in this country is at the ballot box'
- Some Republicans are calling for President Biden to be impeached over his handling of the withdrawal from Afghanistan—but Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell says it's not going to happen. For starters, he noted at an event in Kentucky on Wednesday, Republicans do not control Congress. "The president...
McConnell Brings Up Polio
Jul 29, 2021 7:10 PM CDT
Urging Vaccinations, McConnell Brings Up Polio
Senator survived that disease as a boy, before a vaccine was developed
- Sen. Mitch McConnell, who would have benefited from a vaccine for another disease decades ago, is urging his constituents to be vaccinated against the coronavirus. The Senate minority leader has recorded a 60-second radio commercial that began airing Thursday on 100 stations in Kentucky, CNN reports. When he was a...
to Pick 'Desert Island'
Jun 30, 2021 12:40 PM CDT
McConnell Asked to Pick 'Desert Island' Democratic President
Not Jimmy Carter
- It's a twist on the stranded-on-a-desert-island question. On Tuesday, Mitch McConnell wasn't asked what book or movie he'd want to be stuck with, but rather which living Democratic president he'd want to be saddled with. How the question was posed at a Kentucky Chamber of Commerce...
Jun 18, 2021 7:32 AM CDT
McConnell Responds to Manchin's Voting Law Pitch
Senate minority leader says 'plan endorsed by Stacey Abrams is no compromise'
- On Thursday, Sen. Joe Manchin offered up a long list of reforms to proposed voting rights legislation that he hoped would appeal to both Democrats and Republicans. But by later that day, the GOP made clear the compromise effort wasn't drawing them in. Per Axios , Senate Minority Leader Mitch...
McConnell: GOP Would
Block Biden SCOTUS Picks
Jun 14, 2021 12:35 PM CDT
McConnell: GOP Would Block Biden SCOTUS Picks
He says GOP-controlled Senate would block picks in 2024 and possibly 2023
- History could end up repeating itself if Republicans win back control of the Senate and President Biden has a Supreme Court vacancy to fill. Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell told radio host Hugh Hewitt Monday that if he becomes majority leader again, the Senate will block any Supreme Court pick...
GOP Uses Filibuster
to Derail Jan. 6 Inquiry
May 28, 2021 12:15 PM CDT
GOP Uses Filibuster to Derail Jan. 6 Inquiry
Measures comes up short of necessary 60 votes in the Senate
- The bill to create a bipartisan commission to investigate the Jan. 6 attack on the US Capitol attracted the support of six Republican senators Friday, but it wasn't enough. The vote was 54-35, Politico reports. No Democrat was opposed, so the procedural vote would have needed 10 GOP votes...
Is Wrong' About
May 25, 2021 12:54 PM CDT
McCarthy: 'Marjorie Is Wrong' About Holocaust
Jewish group asks lawmaker to educate herself
- After thinking about it for a few days, Republican congressional leaders have slammed Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene's likening of coronavirus rules to the Holocaust. House Republican Leader Kevin McCarthy and Senate Minority Leader did not hedge in their statements Tuesday. "Marjorie is wrong, and her intentional decision to...
Back Jan. 6 Probe
May 19, 2021 6:25 PM CDT
35 Republicans Back Jan. 6 Probe
House sends plan for bipartisan commission to Senate
- Thirty-five House Republicans joined Democrats on Wednesday in voting to create a bipartisan commission to investigate the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol, risking the wrath of former President Trump and flouting GOP leaders who condemned the proposal as unfairly partisan and unnecessary. The mavericks were led by New York...
Lawmakers Agree to Deal
to Investigate Capitol Attack
May 14, 2021 11:19 AM CDT
Lawmakers Agree to Deal to Investigate Capitol Attack
House could vote on proposed bipartisan commission next week
- House lawmakers have reached a bipartisan deal to investigate the Jan. 6 attack on the US Capitol, and it does not include a look at violence alleged to have come from left-wing groups last summer, as some Republicans had hoped. The proposed 10-person commission would focus only on the attack...
Expect Major Pushback
From CEOs on Voting Laws
Apr 12, 2021 9:40 AM CDT
Expect Major Pushback From CEOs on Voting Laws
More than 100 business leaders talk strategy on Zoom call, despite McConnell warning
- Last week, Mitch McConnell warned American businesses to stay out of politics amid the fallout over Georgia's new voting restrictions . CEOs do not appear to be heeding the warning. Coverage:
reports that more than 100 chief executives and corporate leaders spoke on a Zoom
Apr 11, 2021 2:30 PM CDT
In Speech, Trump Calls McConnell a 'Loser'
Former president also says he's disappointed in Mike Pence
- It was supposed to be a unifying weekend for the Republican Party featuring former President Trump. Ahead of the invitation-only speech to top donors at Trump’s new home inside his Mar-a-Lago resort, the former president’s advisers said he would emphasize his commitment to his party. But Trump veered...
Drink Coca-Cola, Too'
Apr 6, 2021 12:24 PM CDT
McConnell: 'Republicans Drink Coca-Cola, Too'
He says it's 'stupid' for corporations to wade into political issues
- Mitch McConnell is doubling down on his criticism of corporations that get political. The Senate Republican leader said Tuesday “it's quite stupid” for corporations to speak out politically, intensifying his warnings for big business to stand down. Speaking in Kentucky, McConnell said he still wants companies to give...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Boy Dies After 'the Most Exciting Moment of His Life'
Baby Didn't Have Ticket for Flight. His Parents Left Him Behind
Woman Dies After a Fall on Southwest Airlines' Jet Bridge
1 Killed, 2 Hurt in Rampage on DC Metro
Dances With Wolves Actor Arrested in Sex Cult Case
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.