Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
McConnell Fights Off
Nov 16, 2022 12:41 PM CST
McConnell Fights Off Leadership Challenge
Senate minority leader won 37-10 against Rick Scott
- Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell easily defeated a leadership challenge from Sen. Rick Scott Wednesday. Insiders tell Axios that McConnell won 37 votes to Scott's 10, while a motion to delay the vote introduced by Sen. Ted Cruz was defeated 32-16. McConnell, who has led Senate Republicans since 2007,...
Nov 13, 2022 8:59 AM CST
New DC Question: Is McConnell in Trouble?
Critics in Senate are grumbling about losing to Democrats, want leadership election delayed
- Soon after news broke Saturday night that Democrats had clinched control of the Senate , conservative Sen. Josh Hawley of Missouri delivered his succinct assessment: "The old party is dead," he tweeted , per Fox News . "Time to bury it. Build something new." The details of what that...
Insults His Wife
Oct 1, 2022 7:45 AM CDT
Trump Says McConnell Has 'Death Wish,' Insults His Wife
Former president uses racial slur against Elaine Chao in social media post
- The longtime Donald Trump-Mitch McConnell feud reached new levels on Friday after a social media post by the former president. Per CNN , a stopgap funding bill to prevent a government shutdown, with funds also allocated for aid to Ukraine and disaster relief, passed the Senate and House on Thursday and...
McConnell Distances Himself
From Graham's Abortion Bill
Sep 13, 2022 7:47 PM CDT
McConnell Distances Himself From Graham's Abortion Bill
GOP strategist calls bill 'politically inexplicable' with midterms looming
- Sen. Lindsey Graham introduced a bill to bring in a nationwide ban on abortion after 15 weeks Tuesday—and his fellow Republicans didn't exactly embrace it. With Democratic candidates including John Fetterman in Pennsylvania putting abortion rights at the center of their campaigns, GOP strategists said it was a...
in Senate Races
Aug 19, 2022 1:01 PM CDT
McConnell Worried About 'Candidate Quality' in Senate Races
Minority leader thinks the race for control of the chamber is too close to call
- Historically speaking, the party of the sitting US president loses ground in the midterms , ceding seats in the House or Senate, or both if it's a particularly brutal bloodbath. But Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell is holding off on proclaiming any kind of premature victory in his own chamber...
Voting 95-1, Senate Backs
Sweden, Finland Joining NATO
Aug 3, 2022 7:10 PM CDT
Voting 95-1, Senate Backs Sweden, Finland Joining NATO
McConnell had lobbied Republicans, saying a larger alliance will make US safer
- Russian aggression helped bring Republicans and Democrats together on Wednesday, as the Senate voted 95-1 to endorse letting Finland and Sweden join NATO. A two-thirds vote would have been sufficient, but Minority Leader Mitch McConnell had been lobbying his members, the
New York Times
reports. Since Russia invaded Ukraine, McConnell...
Rand Paul Get
Into a Rumble
Jul 19, 2022 6:18 AM CDT
Mitch McConnell, Rand Paul Get Into a Rumble
The 2 Kentuckians butt heads over anti-abortion lawyer's judicial nomination getting pulled
- Sen. Rand Paul on Monday accused Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell of cutting “a secret deal with the White House that fell apart,” blaming a lack of communication by his fellow Kentuckian for the failure of a federal judicial nomination, the AP reports. Further exposing long-simmering tensions between...
GOP Senators Make
Unannounced Trip to Kyiv
May 14, 2022 2:25 PM CDT
GOP Senators Make Unannounced Trip to Kyiv
Zelensky welcomes display 'of bipartisan support'
- The latest unannounced trip to Ukraine by US politicos was made Saturday by four Republican senators, including Minority Leader Mitch McConnell. President Volodymyr Zelensky welcomed the visit as "a strong signal of bipartisan support for Ukraine," the
reports. The meeting was announced Saturday by Zelensky's...
Audio Clip on Trump Appears
to Contradict McCarthy's Claim
Apr 22, 2022 8:25 AM CDT
Audio Clip on Trump Appears to Contradict McCarthy's Claim
He talks about calling then-president after Capitol riot to recommend Trump resign
- House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy might be in some hot water politically over a newly released audio clip. On Thursday morning, the
New York Times
reported that McCarthy told other House GOP leaders a few days after the Capitol riot that he would call then-President Trump and encourage him to...
Mitch McConnell's Decision
on Ketanji Brown Jackson: No
Mar 25, 2022 12:15 AM CDT
Mitch McConnell's Decision on Ketanji Brown Jackson: No
The Republican says he will vote against her Supreme Court nomination
- The Senate is on track to confirm Ketanji Brown Jackson as the first Black woman on the Supreme Court in April, with the
Wall Street Journal
reporting GOP senators signaled on Thursday that they don't intend to make any moves that would seriously delay or block her confirmation. But...
Mar 1, 2022 7:28 AM CST
McCarthy, McConnell Slam Fellow GOPers Over America First Event
'Unacceptable,' McCarthy said of Gosar, Taylor Greene's appearances at white nationalist forum
- Marjorie Taylor Greene has already received a slap on the wrist from the chairwoman of the RNC for her appearance Friday at a white nationalist conference. Now, the Georgia congresswoman—and fellow GOPer Rep. Paul Gosar, of Arizona, who appeared virtually at the America First Political Action Conference—are on...
Trump: McConnell Does Not
Speak for the GOP
Feb 10, 2022 12:43 AM CST
Trump: McConnell Does Not Speak for the GOP
McConnell had criticized RNC resolution censuring panel members
Former President Trump issued a lengthy statement Wednesday slamming Mitch McConnell a day after the Senate minority leader's comments on Jan. 6. "Mitch McConnell does not speak for the Republican Party, and does not represent the views of the vast majority of its voters," Trump said....
After Graham Balks at Pardons
for Rioters, a Trump Slam
Feb 2, 2022 11:50 AM CST
After Graham Balks at Pardons for Rioters, a Trump Slam
'He's a RINO,' former president tells Newsmax
- Donald Trump has added another Republican to his list of supposed RINOs : his ally Lindsey Graham. The former president lobbed the insult—that's "Republican in name only"—at the Republican senator from South Carolina on Tuesday after Graham refused to back the idea of presidential pardons for...
Mitch McConnell Contrasts
Black Voters, American Voters
Jan 21, 2022 6:38 AM CST
Mitch McConnell Contrasts Black Voters, American Voters
Senator's rep says he misspoke, critics disagree
- Asked Wednesday to respond to voters of color concerned that they will be unable to vote in the midterm elections without passage of the John Lewis Voting Rights Advancement Act, Mitch McConnell put it this way : "The concern is misplaced because if you look at the statistics, African American...
Only 3 Federal
Most in US
Dec 27, 2021 8:18 AM CST
Only 3 Federal Officials Viewed Favorably by Most in US
John Roberts, the Fed's Jerome Powell, and Anthony Fauci
- Gallup put the names of 11 federal officials in front of Americans in a new survey, and only three registered positive ratings from the majority of respondents. The clear No. 1 was Supreme Court Justice John Roberts (60%), followed by Fed chief Jerome Powell (53%) and Dr. Anthony Fauci...
Senate Hopeful Falsely Claimed
He Finished College
Dec 19, 2021 8:30 AM CST
Senate Hopeful Falsely Claimed He Finished College
Herschel Walker didn't get his degree
- Herschel Walker's campaign proudly touts the Senate hopeful's small town roots, Olympic accomplishments, and business credentials. It also used to say Walker graduated from the University of Georgia, which he was attending in 1981 when he won the Heisman. However, an
story following up on that...
Dec 17, 2021 2:05 PM CST
Trump's Push to Oust McConnell Is Misfiring
Politico: Not a single Republican senator is on board
- Donald Trump has escalated his attacks on Mitch McConnell of late, but Politico reports that the former president's push to oust McConnell as Senate Republican leader is fizzling. Not a single GOP senator has expressed support for the idea, and the story notes that only two GOP senatorial candidates...
McConnell Tried to Bar Trump
From Inauguration, Book Says
Nov 15, 2021 2:55 PM CST
McConnell Tried to Bar Trump From Inauguration, Book Says
Former president responds by calling senator 'old crow'
- Sen. Mitch McConnell wanted to shut Donald Trump out of President Biden’s inauguration, a new book claims. ABC News Washington correspondent Jonathan Karl says in
that the Kentucky Republican was more concerned with the danger of giving the outgoing president an opportunity to disrupt the peaceful transfer of...
GOP Turns Back
Voting Rights Bill
Oct 20, 2021 6:45 PM CDT
GOP Turns Back Voting Rights Bill
Democrats to lobby each other on changing filibuster rule after another loss
- Republican senators put a stop Wednesday to Democratic legislation to overhaul elections. The Freedom to Vote Act needed 60 votes; the count was 49-51, the Hill reports. "For every two steps forward, sometimes there are those who try to pull us one step back," Sen. Chuck Schumer said....
Oct 7, 2021 7:47 PM CDT
Debt Ceiling Deal Clears Senate
We're good until December
The Senate dodged a US debt disaster Thursday night, voting to extend the government’s borrowing authority into December and temporarily avert an unprecedented federal default that experts warned would devastate the economy and harm millions of Americans. The vote of 50-48 in support of the bill to raise...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Paramedic Tried to Save Crash Victim, Later Learned It Was Her Girl
Shooter's 'Death Note' Calls Out Walmart Workers
Man Solves 15-Year-Old Disneyland Riddle
Missing Cruise Passenger Turns Up Alive in Gulf Next Day
King's Secret Code Is Broken 500 Years Later
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.