Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Twitter Closes Offices as
Hundreds Reject Ultimatum
Nov 18, 2022 5:29 AM CST
Twitter Closes Offices as Hundreds Reject Ultimatum
Sources say critical engineering teams have been gutted
- Elon Musk's ultimatum for Twitter employees to pledge to be "extremely hardcore" was rejected by many workers—perhaps more than the company's new owner bargained for. The Verge reports that according to internal Slack messages and tweets from departing employees, hundreds of employees chose not to respond...
Astronomer's Meteor Video
Was Way Too Sexy for Twitter
Nov 17, 2022 1:15 PM CST
Astronomer's Meteor Video Was Way Too Sexy for Twitter
Mary McIntyre's account was locked for 3-plus months after automated tools flagged the clip
- Astronomers think celestial bodies are sexy, so much so that they often post about them on social media. For one UK space scientist, however, her video of a Perseid fireball over the summer was deemed too sexy for Twitter, resulting in her getting locked out of her account for three-plus...
Musk: 'I Frankly Don't Want
to Be the CEO of Any Company'
Nov 16, 2022 2:46 PM CST
Musk: 'I Frankly Don't Want to Be the CEO of Any Company'
The CEO/CEO/CEO testified in a Tesla shareholder trial in Delaware
- Elon Musk is a CEO in triplicate: It's the title he has at Tesla, SpaceX, and now Twitter. But as he tells it, he'd prefer the count to be zero. Musk said as much from the witness stand Wednesday while in a Delaware court where he was battling...
Twitter Employees Get
an Ultimatum From Elon Musk
Nov 16, 2022 7:52 AM CST
Twitter Employees Get an Ultimatum From Elon Musk
They have until 5pm Thursday to decide if they're ready to be 'hardcore'
- Those who remain employed by Twitter were given an ultimatum on Wednesday morning by Elon Musk, and they reportedly have until 5pm ET Thursday to make up their minds. The
reports staffers were sent an email from Musk that contained a link to an online form. The email...
the 'Cat's Paws'
Nov 15, 2022 6:40 AM CST
Trump Re-Ups Fight Against the 'Cat's Paws' of Twitter
Former president files lawsuit in appeals court regarding his ban on social media platform
- Elon Musk has previously said he would lift former President Trump's Twitter ban, and now it looks as if it might be just a matter of time before that happens. Trump doesn't seem to want to wait for the social media platform's answer on that, however: On...
Senator to Elon Musk: 'Fix Your
Companies. Or Congress Will'
Nov 14, 2022 7:00 AM CST
Senator to Elon Musk: 'Fix Your Companies. Or Congress Will'
Dem Sen. Ed Markey of Mass. got into it with the Twitter CEO over the weekend
- Elon Musk had it out over the weekend with a US senator on the platform he now owns. Axios reports that Democratic Sen. Ed Markey of Massachusetts kicked things off on Friday with a letter to Musk that he posted on Twitter , asking Musk to fill him in on how...
Twitter Pulls Check Marks
as Tumblr Matches the Deal
Nov 11, 2022 5:15 PM CST
Twitter Pulls Check Marks as Tumblr Matches the Deal
Fake accounts sprang up immediately
- Twitter has suspended the chaotic sale of its $7.99-a-month blue check mark after one day, when it became clear the internet could not be trusted to use it responsibly. The verification badge, which the company no longer verifies, immediately began showing up on fake accounts, the
In First Address to Twitter Staff,
Musk Warns of 80-Hour Weeks
Nov 11, 2022 5:37 AM CST
In First Address to Twitter Staff, Musk Warns of 80-Hour Weeks
He also discussed plans for platform to offer financial services, spoke of bankruptcy
- Elon Musk warned of possible bankruptcy Thursday when he addressed Twitter employees for the first time since taking over the company, insiders say. The Verge says it has obtained a recording of the session, in which Musk took questions from employees and discussed offering banking services through Twitter. He said...
Executives Quit Twitter
Nov 10, 2022 4:50 PM CST
Security, Compliance Executives Quit Twitter
FTC warns company, which risks violating consent decree
- Federal regulators expressed alarm Thursday after several privacy and security executives resigned from Twitter. Those leaving include the chief information security officer, chief privacy officer, and chief compliance officer, the
reports. The news was met with a warning from the Federal Trade Commission, which said it could take...
Is Over at Twitter
Nov 10, 2022 9:50 AM CST
Musk Says Remote Working Is Over at Twitter
'Work from home forever' policy has been axed
- Twitter employees who made it through last week's mass layoffs got their first email from their new boss late Wednesday—and he wasn't delivering good news. Elon Musk told employees that the "work from home forever" policy i ntroduced in May 2020 is now history, and that,...
Twitter Does a Crazy Flip-Flop
on Its New Gray Label
Nov 9, 2022 10:30 AM CST
Twitter Does a Crazy Flip-Flop on Its New Gray Label
'I just killed it,' says Elon Musk
- Pour one out for Twitter's gray "official" designation, which lasted all of a hot minute. Just hours after the new verification feature was rolled out, Elon Musk killed it, and he said exactly that: "I just killed it," he tweeted in reply to a tweet about...
Elon Musk Is Wildly Successful.
That Won't Help Him at Twitter
Nov 8, 2022 4:08 PM CST
Elon Musk Is Wildly Successful. That Won't Help Him at Twitter
He's facing a human problem, not an engineering one
- Elon Musk has been at the helm of Twitter for less than two weeks, and at the
, Charlie Warzel writes that he's bungling it, badly. Warzel zeroes in on freewheeling tweets, advertisers running for the exits, and a train-wreck layoff process as proof that what "casual observers"...
Musk Hits Out at the Twitter
Alternative Snagging His Users
Nov 8, 2022 12:15 PM CST
Musk Hits Out at the Twitter Alternative Snagging His Users
Mastodon has drawn nearly 500K users since Musk's Twitter takeover
- Elon Musk has a new problem on his hands: Under his leadership, some users are fleeing Twitter for a lesser-known, non-profit social media site called Mastodon, which Musk has insulted in a number of deleted tweets. What you need to know:
: Mastodon, founded in 2016 by software developer
Nov 8, 2022 10:25 AM CST
After Musk Suspends Her, Kathy Griffin Finds Workaround
Comedian begins tweeting from the account of her late mother
- Comedian Kathy Griffin seems to have found a way around her recent banishment from Twitter. After her own account was suspended—because she impersonated Elon Musk (as did other celebrities unhappy with new verification rules)—Griffin began tweeting from her late mother's account , reports
. From there, she called...
Nov 7, 2022 5:50 PM CST
Elon Musk: Vote GOP
Twitter's new owner unfollows his guidance about political neutrality
- Elon Musk abandoned the customary political neutrality of social media bosses on Monday, urging a Republican victory in Tuesday's midterm elections. In a tweet addressed to "independent-minded voters," Twitter's new owner wrote, "Shared power curbs the worst excesses of both parties, therefore I recommend voting...
Whoops: Twitter Asks Some
Laid-Off Workers to Return
Nov 7, 2022 7:42 AM CST
Whoops: Twitter Asks Some Laid-Off Workers to Return
Mistaken layoffs illustrate the chaos of last week
- The thing about laying off 50% of your employees in a single day is that you're bound to make mistakes. Bloomberg reports that Twitter is now reaching out to "dozens" of laid-off workers and asking them to return. It seems the company either laid these particular employees off...
For First Time,
Nov 7, 2022 6:23 AM CST
For First Time, Zuckerberg Readies Mass Layoffs
Meta, parent of Facebook, will reportedly lay off thousands of people this week
- Twitter employees aren't the only tech staffers facing a bleak November : Facebook parent company Meta is expected to announce its biggest wave of layoffs since Mark Zuckerberg founded it in 2004, reports the
New York Times
. The numbers are unclear, but
Wall Street Journal
predicts "many thousands" of...
Twitter Rolling Out
Nov 7, 2022 12:03 AM CST
Twitter Rolling Out $8 Monthly Fee... After Midterms
Critics say the new verification system isn't up to snuff
- Twitter won't roll out its new $7.99 "blue check" subscription service until after Tuesday's midterm elections, a source tells CNN . The news comes amid concerns that the new system would have made it easier to spread misinformation ahead of Election Day. Meanwhile, celebs were impersonating Musk...
UN Official Makes
Public Plea to Musk
Nov 6, 2022 11:40 AM CST
UN Official Makes Public Plea to Musk
Letter expresses apprehension over Twitter's direction under new owner
- Worried about the way Elon Musk's stewardship of Twitter is beginning, a UN official has made a public plea to the billionaire to ensure the platform reflects respect for human rights. Volker Türk, high commissioner for human rights, wrote an open letter to the new owner, the
Jack Dorsey Apologizes
to Twitter Employees
Nov 5, 2022 3:30 PM CDT
Jack Dorsey Apologizes to Twitter Employees
Co-founder says he expanded the company too fast
- Jack Dorsey tweeted his regrets Saturday for the mass layoffs at Twitter, saying he expanded the company too rapidly. A day after new owner Elon Musk began cutting half of Twitter's workforce, the company's co-founder tweeted a message to the "past and present" staff, CNBC reports. "...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Oxford Dictionary Picks Its Word of the Year
What We Know About the Power Station Sabotage in NC
Jury Hears Suspect Describe Killing 4 Sex Workers
For Flyers in Europe, No More 'Airplane Mode'
82-Year-Old Arrested Over Her Unpaid $77 Trash Bill
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.