Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Twitter Sued for Not Paying
Rent on Its Headquarters
Jan 24, 2023 6:08 PM CST
Twitter Sued for Not Paying Rent on Its Headquarters
Company's London landlords are also suing
- More landlords are taking Twitter to court over unpaid rent, this time at the social media company’s headquarters in San Francisco and its British offices—the latest sign that owner Elon Musk's extreme cost-cutting strategy includes simply not paying the bills. Twitter is facing a lawsuit over allegations...
One of Crosby's Final Tweets
Offered Thoughts on Heaven
Jan 20, 2023 11:06 AM CST
One of Crosby's Final Tweets Offered Thoughts on Heaven
'Overrated' and 'cloudy,' the singer-songwriter wrote on the day he died
- David Crosby died Wednesday at the age of 81, and he showed up on Twitter just hours before his passing to make a cheeky observation that turned out to be eerily prescient. Crosby retweeted another post speculating on who might be barred from heaven, based on the things they'd...
Soars on Musk's Twitter
Jan 19, 2023 1:29 PM CST
Climate Misinformation Soars on Musk's Twitter
Tweets containing terms linked to climate change denial rose 300% last year
- Search for the word "climate" on Twitter and the first automatic recommendation isn't "climate crisis" or "climate jobs" or even "climate change" but instead "climate scam." Clicking on the recommendation yields dozens of posts denying the reality of climate change and making misleading...
At Twitter's Fire Sale,
Bird Statue Sells for Wild Price
Jan 19, 2023 1:00 AM CST
At Twitter's Fire Sale, Bird Statue Sells for Wild Price
Auction has now closed
- The most expensive item sold at an auction of Twitter paraphernalia ? A statue of the company's bird logo, which went for around $100,000. The BBC , which has a photo of that and other items, was tracking prices as the auction neared its conclusion; final prices have not...
Options' for Musk
Jan 18, 2023 7:38 AM CST
As Advertisers Flee Twitter, 'Unpalatable Options' for Musk
Reports: 500 big advertisers have ditched since October, revenue is down 40% year over year
- In his own words, Elon Musk has been "cutting costs like crazy" since his takeover last year of Twitter, in an effort to fend off an expected negative cash flow for the company of about $3 billion in 2023. Now, multiple outlets are adding details on how dire the...
A Concerning New Group Pops
Up With Twitter's Blue Checks
Jan 17, 2023 8:09 AM CST
A Concerning New Group Pops Up With Twitter's Blue Checks
Taliban officials, supporters were seen with the marks on their accounts, though now they're gone
- Twitter's blue check marks have had a rough go since the platform was taken over by Elon Musk, with the paid Twitter Blue subscription attracting phony accounts and plenty of criticism. The site says it has since made tweaks, but now there's a new issue surrounding the verification...
House GOPer Sends Letter
to Yellen on Hunter Biden
Jan 12, 2023 10:40 AM CST
House GOPer Sends Letter to Yellen on Hunter Biden
Republicans have started their probe into president's son, as well as into Joe Biden's finances
- In October, federal agents announced they'd gathered enough evidence to justify charging Hunter Biden with crimes. Now, House Republicans have jump-started their long-desired investigation of the president's son, as well as the involvement of ex-Twitter employees in handling reporting on him. Per the Hill , a letter sent Wednesday...
Report: Twitter Abruptly
Closes Asia Headquarters
Jan 12, 2023 6:56 AM CST
Report: Twitter Abruptly Closes Asia Headquarters
Sources say Singapore office was closed for non-payment of rent
- Employees at Twitter's Asia headquarters found out on very short notice Wednesday that they would be working from home, insiders say. Sources tell Bloomberg that workers at the Singapore headquarters were told via email that they had to clean out their desks and be out of the building by...
Latest Suit Against
Twitter Seeks $400K
Jan 11, 2023 9:55 AM CST
Latest Suit Against Twitter Seeks $400K
Canary Marketing said its invoices haven't been paid since the takeover
- Add this to the tally of recent Twitter woes: another lawsuit over alleged nonpayment of services. This one was filed Friday by marketing firm Canary Marketing, which SF Gate reports "designs merchandise for major brands, including LaCroix, Gatorade, Slack, and KFC." It has counted Twitter among those clients...
Has Now Lost
the Most Money
Dec 31, 2022 10:02 AM CST
Elon Musk Has Now Lost the Most Money in History
Bloomberg reports he has become the first person to lose $200B
- A little over a year ago, Elon Musk was sitting on the astronomical sum of about $340 billion in net worth, making him the richest human on the planet by a wide margin. Today, Bloomberg reports that Musk has became the first person in history to
$200 billion. The...
Report: Things Are
Getting Messy at Twitter HQ
Dec 30, 2022 7:39 AM CST
Report: Things Are Getting Messy at Twitter HQ
- Elon Musk has been "cutting costs like crazy," as he put it, at Twitter in a bid to reverse what he says is a projected negative cash flow of roughly $3 billion next year. The
New York Times
speaks with largely unnamed sources who detail the shape those...
Musk: I'll Keep Tesla Stock
for 18 Months
Dec 23, 2022 4:35 PM CST
Musk: I'll Keep Tesla Stock for 18 Months
Stock's value has plunged since Twitter purchase
- CEO Elon Musk says he won't sell any more shares in Tesla for 18 months or more, likely an attempt to comfort shareholders of the electric vehicle company who have watched the stock lose nearly half of its value since Musk's purchase of Twitter. "I'm not...
Elon Musk Says He'll
Resign as Twitter CEO
Dec 20, 2022 8:38 PM CST
Elon Musk Says He'll Resign as Twitter CEO
He says it'll happen 'as soon as I find someone foolish enough to take the job'
- After a period of uncertainty, Elon Musk has confirmed that he plans to abide by the results of a poll that asked whether he should step down as Twitter CEO, which ended with 57.5% in favor of resignation. "I will resign as CEO as soon as I find...
Twitter Rival Is Growing Fast
Dec 20, 2022 8:11 PM CST
Twitter Rival Is Growing Fast
Mastodon says number of active users went from 300K to 2.5M month-on-month
- While Twitter is in no danger of being trampled by Mastodon any time soon, the rival social media platform has been growing at an explosive pace since Elon Musk took charge of Twitter. According to a blog post Tuesday from Mastodon founder Eugen Rochko, the number of monthly active users...
Snoop Dogg Has a
Dec 19, 2022 12:29 PM CST
Snoop Dogg Has a Twitter Suggestion
In poll, 81% of more than 2M voters say he should replace Elon Musk
- The Yes side won in Elon Musk's poll on whether he should step down as head of Twitter—and while he hasn't said who will replace him if he keeps his promise to abide by the results, another poll has suggested a candidate. Snoop Dogg tweeted a poll...
Twitter Poll Wants Musk Out
as CEO. He Promised to Abide
Dec 19, 2022 6:31 AM CST
Twitter Poll Wants Musk Out as CEO. He Promised to Abide
Most users want him to step down
- Should Elon Musk step down as CEO of Twitter? He commissioned a new poll of users asking that question and promised to abide by the results. By Monday morning, the results were in: The majority of the approximately 17 million voters called for him to step down, 57.5% to...
Twitter (Briefly) Disallows
Promotion of Rivals
Dec 18, 2022 5:15 PM CST
Twitter (Briefly) Disallows Promotion of Rivals
New policy is deleted, replaced with a poll asking users their opinion on it
- Once again, a new Twitter policy has been swiftly rescinded. On Sunday, the platform said it would no longer let users promote accounts on rival platforms. But after what CNN describes as an "immense backlash," Twitter removed the blog post and tweet thread announcing the new policy. Instead,...
Musk Goes Back
to Twitter Investors
Dec 17, 2022 2:05 PM CST
Musk Goes Back to Twitter Investors
Proposal for another round of funding again is based on a $44 billion valuation
- Elon Musk has made investors an offer they might be able to refuse: Buy more shares of Twitter at $54.20, the price he paid in October when he took over the company—though the billionaire has since conceded he overpaid. A Tesla investor who said he chipped in less...
of Twitter Jail,
but EU, UN
Dec 17, 2022 8:30 AM CST
Musk Lets Journos Out of Twitter Jail, but EU, UN Are Ticked
United Nations calls the bans a 'dangerous precedent'; EU threatens sanctions
- "The people have spoken." That was Elon Musk's overnight tweet on Friday announcing the results of his most recent poll, which asked his followers when to unsuspend the various reporters Twitter suspended earlier in the week for what Musk claims was real-time "doxxing" on his location....
Twitter Abruptly Suspends
Numerous Tech Journalists
Dec 16, 2022 5:04 AM CST
Twitter Abruptly Suspends Numerous Tech Journalists
Musk claims they violated new policy on revealing locations
- Elon Musk's claims to be a "free speech absolutist" were questioned once again Thursday night when Twitter abruptly suspended the accounts of numerous journalists who had been reporting on the CEO, including tech journalists from the
New York Times
, CNN, and Mashable. Musk claimed they...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Woman, 29, Arrested After Enrolling at NJ High School
Five Fired Memphis Cops Are Charged With Murder
The Suspects in Calif. Shootings Are 'Particularly Stunning'
Popular Disney Ride Has Closed, and It's Getting 'Weird'
Lawsuit: Woman, 97, Froze to Death in View of Facility's Security Cameras
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.