Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Volunteers to Help Niger Junta
Aug 19, 2023 4:30 PM CDT
Volunteers to Help Niger Junta Overwhelm Organizers
US ambassador, delegation from West Africa nations arrive to try to head off fighting
- A call for civilians to support Niger's junta against a possible military intervention by West African nations brought too many volunteers to count, resulting in a halt to the process. The crowd gathered Saturday outside a stadium in Niamey was larger than the organizers had anticipated, Reuters reports. "...
Try Deposed Prez
for 'High Treason'
Aug 14, 2023 9:30 AM CDT
Niger's Coup Leaders: We'll Try Deposed Prez for 'High Treason'
New regime says Mohamed Bazoum will face prosecution
- Niger's mutinous soldiers said they'll prosecute deposed President Mohamed Bazoum for "high treason" and undermining state security, in an announcement hours after the junta said they were open to dialogue with West African nations to resolve the mounting regional crisis. If found guilty, Bazoum could face the...
Aug 13, 2023 10:10 AM CDT
Niger's Junta Solidifies Grip
US may have to recognize military rulers, analysts say
- One week after a deadline passed for mutinous soldiers in Niger to reinstate the country's ousted president or face military intervention, the junta has not acquiesced. No military action has been taken, and the coup leaders appear to have gained the upper hand over the regional group that issued...
'I Write This as a Hostage'
Aug 4, 2023 6:28 AM CDT
Niger's President: 'I Write This as a Hostage'
Mohamed Bazoum warns of 'devastating consequences' if coup isn't quashed
- The overthrown president of Niger, detained by soldiers at the presidential palace in Niamey for the past week, is speaking out via the
. "I write this as a hostage"—"one of hundreds of citizens who have been arbitrarily and illegally imprisoned," reads the message...
US Orders Partial
Aug 3, 2023 1:47 AM CDT
US Orders Partial Embassy Evacuation in Niger
Though the mission will remain open
- With coup leaders in Niger refusing to back down and the French embassy in the country having been attacked Sunday, the United States has ordered some of the staff of its embassy in the country to be evacuated. "Given ongoing developments in Niger and out of an abundance of...
6 African Nations Now Form
a Continent-Wide 'Coup Belt'
Aug 1, 2023 11:52 AM CDT
6 African Nations Now Form a Continent-Wide 'Coup Belt'
From Sudan in the east to Guinea in the west
- Take a map of Africa, shade in the nations that have had military coups over the last few years, and you'll see the pattern: It's what Declan Walsh in the
New York Times
calls a "coup belt" stretching across the entire continent. It goes from Guinea on...
West Africa Gives Niger
Coup Leaders an Ultimatum
Jul 31, 2023 8:28 AM CDT
West Africa Gives Niger Coup Leaders an Ultimatum
They have 7 days to reinstate President Mohammed Bazoum
- West African nations have given Niger's coup leaders one week to reinstate President Mohammed Bazoum. Should that not come to pass, "the use of force" could follow, warned the 15-nation regional bloc known as ECOWAS on Sunday. The development came two days after the soldiers who staged the...
Coup Leaders Introduce
Niger's New Ruler
Jul 28, 2023 4:55 PM CDT
Coup Leaders Introduce Niger's New Ruler
Commander of presidential guard, which is detaining the president, will run transitional body
- The soldiers who staged a coup returned to TV on Friday, telling Niger that the commander of the presidential guard is the nation's new leader. Col. Maj. Amadou Abdramane, who also spoke to the nation on Wednesday to announce the overthrow , said on state television that Gen. Abdourahmane Tchiani...
Niger Soldiers Tell Nation They
'Put an End to the Regime'
Jul 26, 2023 8:00 PM CDT
Niger Soldiers Tell Nation They 'Put an End to the Regime'
President Mohamed Bazoum apparently is being held by guards
- A group of soldiers in Niger said Wednesday on national TV that they had successfully carried out a coup—suspending all national institutions and closing the nation's land borders. Col. Maj. Amadou Abdramane, with nine uniformed men standing behind him, announced that the constitution is no longer in effect,...
Kidnapped in 2016,
US Aid Worker Is Freed
Mar 20, 2023 10:45 AM CDT
Kidnapped in 2016, US Aid Worker Is Freed
Jeff Woodke was held hostage in Niger by unknown group
- An American aid worker who was kidnapped in the West African nation of Niger more than six years ago has been released from custody, the Biden administration said Monday. "I'm gratified & relieved to see the release of U.S. hostage Jeff Woodke after over 6 years in...
'They Were All Dead': SEAL
Team Saves US Missionary
Oct 31, 2020 11:00 AM CDT
'They Were All Dead': SEAL Team Saves US Missionary
Philip Walton is rescued from captors in Nigeria, officials say
- The Navy's elite SEAL Team 6 rescued an American hostage Saturday in an operation that apparently killed most of his captors, ABC News reports. According to US officials, the commandos managed to free 27-year-old Philip Walton in Nigeria while killing six of his seven captors. "They were all...
20 Die in Stampede for
Food Aid at Refugee Camp
Feb 18, 2020 12:31 AM CST
20 Die in Stampede for Food Aid at Refugee Camp
Refugees in Niger hadn't received food previous day
- A local official says at least 20 people died in a stampede in Niger as they were being given food and goods at a refugee camp. Diffa governor Issa Lamine says 15 women and five children were killed and 16 others were injured Monday at the camp in the southeast...
Report: Deadly Niger Ambush
Caused by Numerous Failures
May 10, 2018 3:45 PM CDT
Report: Deadly Niger Ambush Caused by Numerous Failures
Investigators interviewed 143 witnesses, examined evidence
- The Defense Department found no single cause, but rather “individual, organizational and institutional” errors, including insufficient training and preparation, caused the death of four US soldiers and at least five Nigerien soldiers in a bloody Special Forces mission in Niger, according to an eight-page summary report. The Oct. 4...
Report: Soldier Ambushed
in Niger Wasn't Captured
Dec 17, 2017 3:30 PM CST
Report: Soldier Ambushed in Niger Wasn't Captured
Investigation found Sgt. La David T Johnson fought to the end
- An American soldier killed during an ambush in Niger with three comrades wasn't captured alive by the enemy or executed at close range, the AP has learned. A military investigation found evidence he apparently fought to the end. Dispelling a swirl of rumors about how Sgt. La David T...
More Remains of US Soldier
Killed in Niger Ambush Found
Nov 21, 2017 12:29 PM CST
More Remains of US Soldier Killed in Niger Ambush Found
What exactly happened to Sgt. La David Johnson remains a mystery
- The military and an FBI team that traveled to the site of an October ambush in Niger have found more remains of Sgt. La David Johnson, who was killed in the ambush, CBS Miami reports. His body was recovered by African forces two days after the attack, his hands tied...
Report: US Soldier
Was Bound, Executed
Nov 11, 2017 10:56 AM CST
Report: US Soldier Was Bound, Executed
Villagers in Niger say he was found 2 days after ambush
- Sgt. La David Johnson, one of four American soldiers killed after an ambush in Niger last month, was found with his hands tied after having apparently been executed by militants, villagers say. Tongo Tongo resident Adamou Boubacar tells the
that children found Johnson's body two days after...
Report: Niger Militants
Kidnapped US Soldier
Nov 4, 2017 7:40 AM CDT
Report: Niger Militants Kidnapped US Soldier
Sergeant's body was found 2 days later
- One of four American soldiers killed in Niger last month may have been kidnapped by ISIS-linked militants before he was executed, sources say. A village elder in northern Niger tells CBS that a battle raged for more than two hours after a group of Green Berets was ambushed by attackers...
Nigerien Soldier: Ambushed
Troops 'Ready to Fight Till End'
Oct 27, 2017 10:31 AM CDT
Nigerien Soldier: Ambushed Troops 'Ready to Fight Till End'
Meanwhile, officials and lawmakers seek answers in 'shifting narrative' of Oct. 4 attack
- New details have emerged regarding the attack that left four US soldiers dead in Niger, labeled by some as a "massive intelligence failure." Per the
New York Times
, which interviewed military officers, Pentagon officials, and lawmakers, Staff Sgt. Bryan Black, Staff Sgt. Jeremiah Johnson, Staff Sgt. Dustin Wright,...
Official: US Believes Villager
Set Niger Ambush in Motion
Oct 25, 2017 4:53 AM CDT
Official: US Believes Villager Set Niger Ambush in Motion
Slain soldiers had little to no combat experience
- The US military believes someone in a Niger village may have tipped off attackers to the presence of US commandos and Nigerien forces in the area, setting in motion the ambush that killed four Americans, a senior defense official said Tuesday. The official says the Army Green Berets and about...
Niger Survivor, Official:
'Morphed' Mission Created Risk
Oct 24, 2017 5:49 PM CDT
Niger Survivor, Official: 'Morphed' Mission Created Risk
Sources say mission changed when team was on its way back
- A survivor of the ambush on US Special Ops forces in Niger offers new details of the Oct. 4 attack to ABC News , declaring that Sgt. La David Johnson was killed while going "above and beyond" to defend others in the group. "He died fighting for his brothers...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Multiple People Now 'on the Radar' in JonBenet Case
Family in 'Unbearable Pain' After Mother Found in Gator's Jaws
'Nightmare' Exodus Begins Amid Fears of Ethnic Cleansing
Fans Boo as Miami Dolphins Opt Not to Go for NFL Record
Forget WFH. It's Time to WFG
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.