Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
What He Said
Aug 10, 2022 8:37 AM CDT
Musk Does What He Said He Wouldn't
Billionaire sells $6.9B in Tesla stock in case his $44B purchase of Twitter goes through
- Elon Musk has reneged on his vow not to sell more Tesla stock. The billionaire just sold $6.9 billion in stock in the company ahead of a court battle that could force him to follow through on his earlier offer to buy Twitter. He sold 7.92 million shares...
Tesla Autopilot May Have
a Motorcycle Problem
Aug 5, 2022 3:49 PM CDT
Tesla Autopilot May Have a Motorcycle Problem
Authorities investigating two fatal crashes
- Two crashes involving Teslas apparently running on Autopilot are drawing scrutiny from federal regulators and suggest a potential new hazard on US freeways: The partially automated vehicles may not stop for motorcycles. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration sent investigation teams to two crashes last month in which Teslas collided...
Tesla Sells 3/4
of Its Bitcoin
Jul 21, 2022 1:01 AM CDT
Tesla Sells 3/4 of Its Bitcoin Holdings
Amid ongoing production issues
- Tesla had what the
describes as a "shaky" second quarter, reporting a 32% drop in profit from the first quarter's record levels and having a difficult time meeting demand due to production issues. Amid all this, it has sold 75% of its bitcoin holdings, $936 million worth,...
Tesla to Cough Up
$105K in Teen's
Jul 20, 2022 6:55 AM CDT
Tesla to Cough Up $105K in Teen's Fatal Crash
Carmaker found 1% liable after deactivating speed limiter
- Tesla was negligent in deactivating a speed limiter on a Model S driven by an 18-year-old who crashed in 2018, killing himself and a passenger, though the driver and his father were 99% at fault, a Florida jury has found. According to a National Transportation Safety Board report, Barrett Riley...
Jun 22, 2022 7:55 PM CDT
Musk Says New Tesla Factories Are Burning Cash
CEO calls Austin and Berlin plants 'gigantic money furnaces' because of supply chain, battery issues
- At some point, the Tesla factories that opened in Texas and Germany earlier this year will pay off. But at the moment, CEO Elon Musk says, they're money pits. "Both Berlin and Austin factories are gigantic money furnaces right now," he said, per Forbes . "It's...
Caught Fire,' Kept Igniting
Jun 22, 2022 10:40 AM CDT
Tesla 'Spontaneously Caught Fire,' Kept Igniting
Electric vehicle had been damaged in a crash weeks before
- A Tesla Model S had been sitting in a scrapyard for three weeks following a collision when it spontaneously burst into flames this month, then kept re-igniting, transforming into "a heap of melted and burned metal," per the
. The Sacramento Metropolitan Fire District described how the...
Tesla Leads Carmakers
in Undesirable Category
Jun 15, 2022 6:55 PM CDT
Tesla Leads Carmakers in Undesirable Category
Their vehicles with autopilot crash more than those of other manufacturers
- Teslas with autopilot have made plenty of headlines in recent years, including in a handful of fatal crashes. But new data released by the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration reveals that crashes are more common than previously known. Teslas have been in 273 crashes since last July, accounting for almost...
Does Your Tesla
for No Reason?
You're Not Alone
Jun 3, 2022 10:22 AM CDT
Does Your Tesla Suddenly Brake for No Reason? You're Not Alone
NHTSA: More than 750 Tesla owners have reported 'phantom braking' phenomenon
- More than 750 Tesla owners have complained to US safety regulators that cars operating on the automaker's partially automated driving systems have suddenly stopped on roadways for no apparent reason. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration revealed the number in a detailed information request letter to Tesla that was...
Elon Musk Has 'Super Bad
Feeling' About Economy
Jun 3, 2022 8:37 AM CDT
Elon Musk Has 'Super Bad Feeling' About Economy
He says Tesla needs to cut 10% of jobs
- Just days after he declared that working from home was unacceptable, Elon Musk has decided some Tesla employees don't need to come back at all. In an email to execs seen by Reuters, the Tesla CEO says he is planning to cut around 10% of jobs at the company...
Elon Musk Takes
Rigid Stance on Remote Work
Jun 1, 2022 11:16 AM CDT
Elon Musk Takes Rigid Stance on Remote Work
Email posted to Twitter purportedly tells Tesla staff remote work only OK past 40-hour mark
- Elon Musk has made clear to his Tesla workforce that remote work is not acceptable. Nor is it "acceptble," as the subject line of an email apparently sent to Tesla employees Tuesday and later posted to Twitter made clear. The brief email explains that "anyone who wishes...
I See Elon Musk as an
Emperor Without Clothes
May 27, 2022 9:20 AM CDT
I See Elon Musk as an Emperor Without Clothes
Edward Niedermeyer has been digging into Musk, Tesla since 2015
- For Edward Niedermeyer, it's plain as day: The emperor—that would be Elon Musk—has no clothes. It's an opinion Niedermeyer has held for years, and he hasn't been quiet about it (see his 2019 publication of the book
Ludicrous: The Unvarnished Story of Tesla Motors
Judge Says Musk Made
Knowingly False Statements
May 12, 2022 4:59 AM CDT
Judge Says Musk Made Knowingly False Statements
Next, a jury will need to decide how much damage he caused
- In a pre-trial ruling, a federal judge in California has determined that Elon Musk was "inaccurate and reckless" when—out of the blue one summer morning in 2018—he tweeted, "Am considering taking Tesla private at $420. Funding secured.” Musk had indeed talked to Saudi investors about...
New Ford Ad Doesn't Mention
Musk, but It Doesn't Have To
May 5, 2022 7:30 PM CDT
New Ford Ad Doesn't Mention Musk, but It Doesn't Have To
Spot mocks loudmouths who want to 'fly away on their personal spaceships'
- Ford is out with a new TV spot that
says "appears to be a subtle shot" at Elon Musk in the auto wars. That might be understating things. While the ad does not mention Musk by name, the implication is clear and full of snark. “Right...
Musk Loses Bid to End
Restrictions on His Tweets
Apr 28, 2022 6:32 AM CDT
Musk Loses Bid to End Restrictions on His Tweets
Judge says Tesla CEO can't back out of 2018 agreement with regulators
- Elon Musk has vowed to make Twitter "an inclusive arena for free speech" if his deal to buy the company goes through—but his own tweets will remain restricted. A federal judge in New York has rejected Musk's bid to end an agreement with the Securities and Exchange...
Sank Tuesday, and
the Questions Began
Apr 27, 2022 8:56 AM CDT
Tesla Shares Sank Tuesday, and the Questions Began
The big one: If share value keeps dropping, how does that impact the Twitter deal?
- Tuesday wasn't a good day for the markets in general, but it was particularly unkind to Tesla, whose shares closed down 12.2%. That erased more than $125 billion from the electric vehicle maker's market value, and it has some analysts wondering whether that could turn into an...
Tesla Shares Surge on
News of Another Stock Split
Mar 28, 2022 8:45 AM CDT
Tesla Shares Surge on News of Another Stock Split
Meanwhile, CEO Elon Musk has COVID
- Shares of Tesla rose sharply Monday after the electric car maker announced its second stock split in less than two years. The company said in a regulatory filing, and also in a tweet , that it plans to make a request at its upcoming annual shareholders meeting to increase its number...
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Mar 26, 2022 12:40 PM CDT
'People Should Not Drive Teslas Over My House'
Tesla police name TikTok star as person of interest in car stunt
The LAPD may have their man. Police have named TikTok star Dominykas Zeglaitis as a "person of interest" in a Tesla stunt that resulted in what they consider to be a hit-and-run crash, reports
. One big reason: Zeglaitis (@dominykas) has been claiming credit for the airborne...
Student Who Vanished on
'Erratic' Road Trip Found Dead
Mar 7, 2022 1:46 PM CST
Student Who Vanished on 'Erratic' Road Trip Found Dead
Chris Liang's body was found in crashed Tesla
- A missing University of San Francisco student has been found dead in the wreckage of the Tesla he rented for what his brother calls an impulsive and "erratic" road trip. In an Instagram post late last week, Jerry Liang said family members were extremely worried about 21-year-old Chris Liang,...
Ford Is Breaking Up
Mar 2, 2022 11:10 AM CST
Ford Is Breaking Up
CEO says restructuring will help company beat the competition in electric vehicles
- Ford will split its electric vehicle and internal combustion operations into two distinct but strategically interdependent businesses as part of a major restructuring to accelerate its adaptation of new technology, the Detroit automaker said Wednesday, adding its transformation into an EV company is accelerating. Ford Model e—to be led...
Biden's SOTU Triggers More
Bashing From Elon Musk
Mar 2, 2022 7:37 AM CST
Biden's SOTU Triggers More Bashing From Elon Musk
Tesla CEO, who's long had a beef with president, was apparently torqued Tesla wasn't mentioned
- Iowa's governor wasn't the only one to take aim at President Biden's State of the Union speech on Tuesday night. Elon Musk, who's long irked Biden's team for his constant criticism of the White House, didn't seem happy that during the annual address Biden...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Agent on Rushdie: 'The News Is Not Good'
They Were Enjoying Happy Hour. Then, 'Pure Panic'
Sinema Received $1M Haul, Then Killed Tax Hike on Rich Investors
Tons of Dead Fish in River: 'Most Likely Dealing With a Crime'
After Guilty Verdict, Defendant Downs Drink in Court and Dies
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.