Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Mars Rover's 'Pet Rock'
Disappears After 439 Days
Apr 25, 2023 1:30 AM CDT
Mars Rover's 'Pet Rock' Disappears After 439 Days
Perseverance had a traveling companion for more than half its mission
- After being together for more than half of Perseverance's mission, the NASA Mars rover and its so-called "pet rock" have separated. A rock managed to lodge itself in the rover's front left wheel on Feb. 4, 2022, almost a year after Perseverance landed on the red planet...
Spectacular Martian Sunset
Mar 8, 2023 7:30 PM CST
Curiosity Captures Spectacular Martian Sunset
Image shows 'some of the most clearly visible images of sun rays we've ever seen on Mars'
- Martian sunsets can be on the gloomy side, but NASA's Curiosity rover captured a spectacular one last month. The rover's official account tweeted an image of the phenomenon this week, saying, "My team says these are some of the most clearly visible images of sun rays we'...
China's Mars Rover
Hasn't Moved in Months
Feb 24, 2023 7:40 AM CST
China's Mars Rover Hasn't Moved in Months
Zhurong's roaming days might be over
- China's first Mars rover appears to have finished roaming. CNET reports that images from NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter show the solar-powered Zhurong rover has been inactive since September 2022 and possibly longer. The rover, which entered a planned hibernation in May last year, didn't budge between an...
Audio Sent Back From
Mars Is First of Its Kind
Dec 14, 2022 10:55 AM CST
Audio Sent Back From Mars Is First of Its Kind
NASA's Perseverance rover got caught in a dust devil and recorded what it sounded like
- NASA's Perseverance rover was caught in a dust devil on Mars. As a result, we have the first-ever recording of a Martian dust devil, this one more than 400 feet tall and 80 feet across, per the AP . Martian dust devils are common, particularly at Perseverance's landing site...
Earth Isn't Ready for What
We've Collected on Mars
Sep 24, 2022 4:00 PM CDT
Earth Isn't Ready for What We've Collected on Mars
A high-containment lab, unlike any currently in existence, has to be built
- Last week brought the news that NASA's Perseverance rover had collected four "scientifically compelling" rock samples from Mars' Jezero Crater, in a location where a river and lake came together eons ago. It's a major move forward in the search for ancient life on Mars, though those...
Mars Rover Makes
Unexpected, Trashy Find
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jun 25, 2022 7:45 AM CDT
Mars Rover Makes Unexpected, Trashy Find
It's certainly not the only bit of space trash on the red planet
- Earthlings have officially littered on another planet, and it’s spreading in unexpected ways. Per the
the Mars rover Perseverance captured an image of a shiny, foil-like object stuck between two rocks. It's certainly a sign of life, but not the type Perseverance is hoping to find on...
Perseverance Pays Off: Rock
Sample Collected on Mars
Sep 2, 2021 5:20 PM CDT
Perseverance Pays Off: Rock Sample Collected on Mars
Rover had to drive to a second location to get a good sample
- NASA’s newest Mars rover has successfully collected its first rock sample for return to Earth, after last month’s attempt came up empty. The Perseverance rover's chief engineer, Adam Steltzner, called it a perfect core sample, per the AP . "I’ve never been more happy to see...
NASA Says Soft Rock
Caused Mars Sample Fiasco
Aug 11, 2021 5:46 PM CDT
NASA Says Soft Rock Caused Mars Sample Fiasco
And it's not talking about Air Supply
- NASA is blaming unusually soft rock for last week’s sampling fiasco on Mars. The Perseverance rover came up empty after attempting to collect its first core sample on the red planet for eventual return to Earth. Data beamed back last Friday showed that the rover drilled to the proper...
NASA Puzzled by Rover's
Failure to Collect Martian Rock
Aug 9, 2021 4:25 PM CDT
NASA Puzzled by Rover's Failure to Collect Martian Rock
Perseverance's hardware was working, but sample tube was empty
- The Perseverance Mars rover's first effort to collect a rock sample was not a success—but NASA scientists plan to persevere. The rover, which landed in the Jezero crater in February, attempted to collect a core sample and seal it in a titanium tube but the mission team was...
China's Mars Rover Sends
Back Proof of Landing
May 19, 2021 9:35 AM CDT
China's Mars Rover Sends Back Proof of Landing
First 2 pics show Zhurong is successfully communicating from Utopia Planitia
- China has become only the second nation after the United States to successfully put a craft on Mars and operate it for a significant amount of time, reports the BBC . Its Zhurong rover touched down on the red planet over the weekend, and now we have the first photos as...
Mars Rover Fans Get
Special Easter Surprise
Apr 6, 2021 8:59 AM CDT
Mars Rover Fans Get Special Easter Surprise
2 new 'Easter eggs' revealed, including spacecraft's unique ID number and 2 tiny 'tattoos'
- The Perseverance rover took its first spin on Mars last month, to the delight of all its fans back on Earth, but NASA had even more excitement to offer over the holiday weekend. Per CBS News , the space agency chose Easter Sunday to reveal additional "Easter eggs"—jokes,...
Part of the Wright Brothers'
1st Airplane Is on Mars
Mar 24, 2021 8:26 AM CDT
Part of the Wright Brothers' 1st Airplane Is on Mars
The helicopter Ingenuity features a postage-size piece of muslin
- A piece of the Wright brothers' first airplane is on Mars. NASA’s experimental Martian helicopter holds a small swatch of fabric from the 1903 Wright Flyer, the space agency revealed Tuesday. The helicopter, named Ingenuity, hitched a ride to the red planet with the Perseverance rover, arriving last month....
Takes First Spin
Mar 5, 2021 5:05 PM CST
Perseverance Takes First Spin on Mars
Rover travels 21 feet in a test drive
- There's no chance of rain, so it might be a good time to wash Perseverance. Mission controllers took the rover out for a 33-minute test drive Thursday, covering 21 feet of the dusty surface of Mars, NASA reports. They liked the way it handled. "The rover’s six-wheel...
Feb 22, 2021 6:20 PM CST
NASA Releases First-Ever Martian Audio, Video
They're the 'closest you can get to landing on Mars without putting on a pressure suit'
- A big Red Planet first from NASA: The agency has released the first-ever video of a Mars landing and the first audio sent back from the planet. The high-definition video was recorded by videos on the entry capsule and the Perseverance rover itself during its successful landing Thursday. "The...
Stunning Mars Images
Rival Moon Landing's
Feb 19, 2021 5:30 PM CST
Stunning Mars Images Rival Moon Landing's
- Photos sent back from Mars by NASA's Perseverance rover already are joining the album of iconic pictures of space exploration, putting them alongside such indelible images as Buzz Aldrin standing on the moon in 1969. "We can only hope, in our efforts to engineer spacecraft and explore our...
Here Are the First Images From
NASA's Perseverance Rover
Feb 19, 2021 1:16 AM CST
Here Are the First Images From NASA's Perseverance Rover
The black and white images show the surface of Mars
- NASA's Perseverance, the biggest and most advanced rover the agency has ever sent, landed on Mars Thursday to cries of jubilation from ground controllers at the space agency’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California. Minutes later, the rover sent back its first two images from the red planet,...
The '7 Minutes of Terror'
Are Nearly Upon Us
Feb 18, 2021 6:56 AM CST
The '7 Minutes of Terror' Are Nearly Upon Us
Mars rover Perseverance will attempt to land on the red planet this afternoon
- NASA is bracing itself for "seven minutes of terror" Thursday afternoon. Its Perseverance rover is set to touchdown on Mars around 3:55pm ET, but that it'll do so in one piece is no sure thing. Perseverance will essentially have that short period to go from traveling in...
NASA Just Launched Its
Biggest-Ever Mars Rover
Jul 30, 2020 7:48 AM CDT
NASA Just Launched Its Biggest-Ever Mars Rover
Perseverance will seek signs of ancient life
- The biggest, most sophisticated Mars rover ever built—a car-size vehicle bristling with cameras, microphones, drills, and lasers—blasted off Thursday as part of an ambitious, long-range project to bring the first Martian rock samples back to Earth to be analyzed for evidence of ancient life. NASA’s Perseverance rode...
China's Launch Was a Success.
'7 Minutes of Terror' Is to Come
Jul 23, 2020 9:20 AM CDT
China's Launch Was a Success. '7 Minutes of Terror' Is to Come
Nation just sent its first unmanned Tianwen-1 rover to Mars
- It's a big first for China: the independent launch of an unmanned probe to Mars. Riding a Long March 5 rocket out of the Wenchang Space Launch Center in Hainan province, the Tianwen-1 rover was sent into space at around 12:40pm local time on Thursday. "I now...
7th Grader Names Mars Rover
Mar 5, 2020 3:33 PM CST
7th Grader Names Mars Rover
Meet Perseverance, due to launch in July
- NASA's next Mars rover finally has a name. Perseverance, a six-wheeled robotic explorer, will blast off this summer to collect Martian samples for eventual return to Earth, the AP reports. The name was suggested by Alex Mather, a Virginia seventh-grader, as part of a naming contest for US schoolchildren....
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
9-Year-Old Who Vanished While Camping Is Found Safe
She's Expected to Be a Senator in 2 Days
Crews Cleaning Storm Debris May Have Solved a Cold Case
Married Couple Killed by Grizzly Bear in Banff
Costco's Newest Product Keeps Selling Out in Just 'Hours'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.