Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
New Sign of
Life on Mars
Jun 22, 2019 12:30 PM CDT
Mars Rover Finds Possible New Sign of Life on Mars
The Curiosity rover detected a puff of gas
- It's been a while, but Martian methane is back. NASA's Curiosity rover detected rich amounts of methane in the planet's air on Wednesday, reigniting hope of life on Mars, the
New York Times
reports. "Given this surprising result, we've reorganized the weekend to run a...
NASA Invites Millions
on the Next Mars Mission
May 22, 2019 7:23 PM CDT
NASA Invites Millions on the Next Mars Mission
Or at least their names. And it's easy to join
- Giddy-up, you're going to Mars—or your name is, if you're up for it. NASA is offering to take a huge list of names on board the Mars 2020 rover's life-hunting trip, Space.com reports. The space agency will let anyone sign up and "share in...
NASA Sends Rover Its Final
Wake-Up Song, Gets Silence
Feb 13, 2019 2:00 PM CST
NASA Sends Rover Its Final Wake-Up Song, Gets Silence
Billie Holiday can't rouse the Mars rover Opportunity
- NASA's Opportunity, the Mars rover that was built to operate for just three months but kept going and going, was pronounced dead Wednesday, 15 years after it landed on the red planet. The six-wheeled vehicle that helped gather critical evidence that ancient Mars might have been hospitable to life...
Mars Opportunity Rover May
Have Died 'Honorable Death'
Jan 27, 2019 2:35 PM CST
Mars Opportunity Rover May Have Died 'Honorable Death'
It hasn't been heard from since massive dust storm over the summer
- "This could be the end" for NASA's Mars Opportunity rover, the principal investigator for the mission, Steven W. Squyres, tells the
New York Times
. The rover marked the 15th anniversary of its touchdown on the red planet Thursday—silently, the AP reports. It hasn't been heard from...
Screams, Applause, Laughter
as Spacecraft Lands on Mars
Nov 26, 2018 2:27 PM CST
Screams, Applause, Laughter as Spacecraft Lands on Mars
The three-legged InSight spacecraft traveled 300M miles
- A NASA spacecraft designed to burrow beneath the surface of Mars landed on the red planet Monday after a six-month, 300 million-mile journey and a perilous, six-minute descent through the rose-hued atmosphere. Flight controllers at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California, leaped out of their seats and erupted...
Scientists Are Excited About
the Next Mars Destination
Nov 20, 2018 7:11 AM CST
Scientists Are Excited About the Next Mars Destination
2020 rover will land on site of ancient delta
- Between 3.5 billion and 3.9 billion years ago, when simple life forms were emerging on Earth, a river flowed through a delta system into a lake on Mars, then a warm and wet planet. NASA plans to send a rover there to see if any traces of life...
Why NASA Is Closely Watching
a Gargantuan Dust Storm
Jun 13, 2018 7:43 AM CDT
Why NASA Is Closely Watching a Gargantuan Dust Storm
The Opportunity rover is stuck in it on Mars
- To call the Martian dust storm gargantuan wouldn't be an overstatement: As of Tuesday, it covered a quarter of the planet, making it the size of North America and Russia combined, per Space.com . And the Opportunity rover is in the middle of it. That's of concern. The...
'Building Blocks of Life'
Found on Mars
Jun 7, 2018 1:55 PM CDT
'Building Blocks of Life' Found on Mars
Latest discoveries are the best evidence yet of life on the red planet
- New Mars discoveries are advancing the case for possible life on the red planet, past or even present. Scientists reported Thursday that NASA's Curiosity rover has found potential building blocks of life in an ancient Martian lakebed. Hints have been found before, but this is the best evidence yet,...
Mars Lander to
Plummet 2.3 Miles
Nov 24, 2016 5:15 PM CST
Glitch Caused Mars Lander to Plummet 2.3 Miles
It thought it had landed, but it was mid-air
- The European Space Agency's Mars lander ended up as a smudge on the red planet's surface because of what Gizmodo calls a "crazy miscalculation." According to a report released by the ESA, the Schiaparelli lander had deployed its parachute and was descending normally when the device...
Blue Martian Sunset
May 12, 2015 3:51 AM CDT
Rover Captures Blue Martian Sunset
Curiosity took image between dust storms
- After nearly three years on Mars, NASA's Curiosity rover has captured one of its most stunning otherworldly images yet: a blue Martian sunset. The newly released image was taken on April 15 between dust storms when the thin atmosphere was still full of particles, reports CNET . "The colors...
More Clues to
Dec 9, 2014 3:23 AM CST
Rover Finds More Clues to Martian Life
Curiosity discovers planet was ripe for life billions of years ago
- There's still no proof there was ever life on Mars, but evidence is starting to pile up that conditions were once ripe for life to begin, NASA scientists say. The Curiosity rover's exploration of the Gale Crater has found signs that liquid water flowed on the planet's...
Mars Find: Is That
a Thigh Bone?
Aug 21, 2014 7:00 AM CDT
Latest Weird Mars Find: Is That a Thigh Bone?
But hey, it's no jelly doughnut
- First, Mars was thought to be invaded by jelly doughnuts . Now, some are claiming the latest photos from NASA's Curiosity rover show proof of human or animal life on the Red Planet. UFO Blogger first discovered what it calls a "fossilized thigh bone" in a photo snapped by...
May 13, 2014 3:24 PM CDT
Pope Francis: Sure, I'd Baptize Martians
He says church can't close its doors to anyone, or any being
- If our travelers to Mars encounter any little green men, Pope Francis says the Catholic Church would be happy to make a few converts. In an unusual message about the inclusiveness of Catholicism, Francis went to other-worldly extremes to make his point, reports the
"If, for example,
Apr 8, 2014 1:18 AM CDT
'Mystery Light' Spotted in Mars Photo
NASA says blip was caused by cosmic rays
- Is there life on Mars—and has it left its lights on? A strange blip of light in a photo snapped April 3 by NASA's Curiosity rover has excited UFO enthusiasts, the
reports. While experts suspect a pixel problem, some believe the light shining upward signals Martians....
Lays to Rest
Feb 14, 2014 4:52 PM CST
NASA Lays to Rest Mars' Rock Mystery
Rover kicked it into camera's view, says NASA
- Remember when the weird "jelly doughnut" object on Mars made news last month? NASA scientists were happily baffled after it suddenly appeared in images taken by the Opportunity rover. They're baffled no more: Scientists today said they're sure that the object is indeed a rock that got...
This Is What
Earth Looks Like
Feb 6, 2014 6:01 PM CST
This Is What Earth Looks Like From Mars
Curiosity rover photographs our planet
- The Mars rover Curiosity paused last week to take a photo of its home planet, and NASA points out that Earth is "shining brighter than any star in the Martian light." If you look carefully—one of the images provides help—you can pick out the moon just...
Feb 1, 2014 7:45 AM CST
NASA Sued Over Mystery Mars Rock
Critic thinks it's a sign of life, wants a more thorough investigation
- NASA says it's a rock, a weird one for sure, but "clearly a rock." One critic, however, thinks it just might be evidence of life on Mars, and he's sued the space agency to demand a closer investigation, reports the
. The strangeness began last...
Mars Rover Finds Evidence
of 'Very Earth-Like' Lake
Dec 9, 2013 3:30 PM CST
Mars Rover Finds Evidence of 'Very Earth-Like' Lake
It might have supported life for millions of years
- The Curiosity rover has discovered evidence of an ancient freshwater lake on Mars that was brimming with the key chemicals necessary to support microbial life, and its findings suggest that it could have held that life more recently than we thought—and possibly for millions of years before that. "...
Water on Mars—a
Sep 27, 2013 7:50 AM CDT
We've Found Water on Mars—a 'Surprising Amount'
Two pints per cubic foot of soil, to be exact
- If you hear a dull roar, it's probably just the collective scream of science buffs the world over. NASA's Curiosity rover has found water in Mars' soil, and the BBC describes it as a "surprising amount." The find occurred at the hands of Curiosity, which scooped...
of Life on Mars
Sep 19, 2013 4:19 PM CDT
Rover Curiosity Deflates Hopes of Life on Mars
It can't find any trace of methane
- If there are any little green men on Mars, or at least little green microbes, the Mars rover Curiosity can't find any trace of them. NASA reported today that a series of tests turned up no signs of telltale methane, reports Space.com . The results are especially disappointing given...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
She Ditched Broadway Dreams, Became Flo From Progressive
Pentagon: US Ships Were Attacked in Red Sea
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
Your Walking Speed Affects Health Benefits
'Unapproved' Schools Illustrate an Education Trend
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.