Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
5 La. Cops Plead
Not Guilty in Deadly
Arrest of Black Motorist
Apr 12, 2023 1:20 AM CDT
5 La. Cops Plead Not Guilty in Deadly Arrest of Black Motorist
Ronald Greene was killed in 2019
- The five Louisiana law enforcement officers charged in the death of Ronald Greene pleaded not guilty when they were arraigned Tuesday, CNN reports. They include four Louisiana state troopers and a Union Parish deputy, one of whom has since been fired for an unrelated excessive force incident. They are next...
Man Found Dead on Work Trip
Encountered Drugs, Prostitutes
Mar 30, 2023 9:30 AM CDT
Man Found Dead on Work Trip Encountered Drugs, Prostitutes
Nathan Millard, found with fentanyl in system, died of accidental drug overdose: report
- Nathan Millard, the Georgia businessman whose body was found wrapped in plastic in Baton Rouge earlier this month, died of an accidental drug overdose, authorities say. A toxicology report shows the 42-year-old father of five had fentanyl, cocaine, and ethanol (alcohol) in his system at the time of death. Police...
This Is the Most Stressed
State in America
Mar 28, 2023 1:30 PM CDT
This Is the Most Stressed State in America
Mississippi needs to meditate, per WalletHub, while Minnesota seems to be handling its tension just fine
- Need to squeeze one of those stress balls more than you used to? It could have something to do with where you live. WalletHub looked at all 50 states to see which ones were the most afflicted by anxiety and tension, examining more than three dozen metrics across four main...
State Relents on Taking
'Neuty' From Couple
Mar 18, 2023 4:50 PM CDT
State Relents on Taking 'Neuty' From Couple
Louisiana family's nutria is invasive species that needs to be kept at zoo, wildlife officials had said
- After a public outcry, Louisiana officials have decided a couple can keep their pet. Denny and Myra Lacoste had afoul of state law by having a 22-pound nutria—a beady-eyed, orange-toothed, rat-tailed rodent commonly considered a wetlands-damaging pest—as a pet that frolics with their dog, snuggles in their arms,...
State Has Kept Thousands
in Prison Past Release Dates
Jan 26, 2023 5:20 PM CST
State Has Kept Thousands in Prison Past Release Dates
Over four months, Louisiana released 4K late, Justice Department finds
- A federal investigation has found that Louisiana often keeps inmates in prison after they're scheduled for release—sometimes for as long as three months. A report by the Justice Department, blaming "systemic violations," says from January to April 2022, almost 27% of inmates freed by the state'...
Police: LSU Student Was Raped
Before She Was Hit by Car
Jan 26, 2023 8:57 AM CST
Police: LSU Student Was Raped Before She Was Hit by Car
3 men and a juvenile charged in Madison Brooks case
- An intoxicated 19-year-old Louisiana State University student was raped in the back of a car before she was struck and killed by a vehicle in a Baton Rouge neighborhood in the early hours of Jan. 16, authorities say. Three adult males and a juvenile have been charged in connection with...
in This State
Now Have an
Jan 3, 2023 11:58 AM CST
Porn Perusers in This State Now Have an Extra Step
New law in Louisiana mandates commercial porn sites in that state ask for ID showing age verification
- A year ago, during an interview with radio host Howard Stern, singer Billie Eilish confessed to a pornography addiction that started at age 11, calling it a habit that "really destroyed my brain." Professional counselor and sex addiction therapist Laurie Schlegel, who also happens to be a Republican...
In Freezing Weather,
Worker Throws Water
on Homeless Woman
Dec 30, 2022 10:20 AM CST
In Freezing Weather, Worker Throws Water on Homeless Woman
Baton Rouge worker was fired from store, faces criminal charge
- A worker at a convenience store in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, was fired and charged with a misdemeanor after video emerged of her throwing a bucket of water on a homeless woman sitting outside the store on a freezing cold day. The video shows 33-year-old Kasey Weber shouting "move it"...
Boy, His Mom
Killed by Tornadoes
That Swept the South
Dec 15, 2022 2:23 AM CST
Boy, His Mom Killed by Tornadoes That Swept the South
Widespread destruction reported
- The severe storm system currently lashing the US brought at least 21 tornadoes that ripped through Louisiana over a 24-hour period Tuesday into Wednesday. A total of 49 tornado reports came in across the South during that time period, including twisters in Mississippi, Texas, Alabama, and Florida, and CNN reports...
Dec 14, 2022 9:50 AM CST
College Player's First Points 'Electrified' the Crowd
Watch Hansel Emmanuel, who has just one arm, make a crowd-pleasing dunk for NSU
- Hansel Emmanuel scored his very first points as a college basketball player over the weekend, but that achievement for Louisiana's Northwestern State University is earning more headlines than your run-of-the-mill player's first baskets. That's because the 6-foot-6 teen has just one arm, though that hasn't stopped...
3 'Human Jukebox' Members
Killed in Highway Crash
Dec 7, 2022 6:05 PM CST
3 'Human Jukebox' Members Killed in Highway Crash
Southern University marching band members were hit by 18-wheeler
- Southern University's famous marching band, known as the Human Jukebox, suffered a terrible loss Tuesday night when two tuba players and a percussionist were killed in a crash in northwest Louisiana. Police say Broderick Moore, 19; Tyran Williams, 19; and Dylan Young, 21, were killed when they were hit...
Teen Being Robbed Calls
911, Talks to Her Mom
Nov 7, 2022 10:10 AM CST
Teen Being Robbed Calls 911, Talks to Her Mom
Teri Clark, a New Orleans dispatcher, handles most harrowing call of her career
- In the annals of memorable 911 calls, this one stands out. When 16-year-old Tenia Hill called police in New Orleans to report a robbery in progress, her own mother answered, reports WDSU . Tenia had been working her part-time job at a McDonald's when an armed robber forced her and...
Latest Woe: Thieves
Nov 2, 2022 7:52 AM CDT
Century-Old Wreck's Latest Woe: Thieves
4 pieces stolen from Brookhill Ferry in Baton Rouge, La., with 2 still missing
- Four pieces of a century-old shipwreck visible for the first time in decades as a result of low water levels along the Mississippi River have been stolen. Louisiana state archaeologist Charles McGimsey says he caught one man carrying away a piece of the Brookhill Ferry, located near downtown Baton Rouge,...
3 Exonerated After 28 Years as
Prosecutors Point to Killer Cop
Oct 20, 2022 9:50 AM CDT
3 Exonerated After 28 Years as Prosecutors Point to Killer Cop
Ex-cop Len Davis, now on death row, covered up crimes by his drug dealer associates
- Three men imprisoned for 28 years were wrongfully convicted of murder in a 1994 drive-by shooting, now linked to two former police officers who happened to arrive on the scene before the lone eyewitness even finished calling 911, a New Orleans court heard Wednesday. Bernell Juluke, Kunta Gable, and Leroy...
5 Missing Texas Boys
Found, in Another State
Oct 19, 2022 9:20 AM CDT
5 Missing Texas Boys Found, in Another State
Mom, boyfriend arrested in Baton Rouge, La.
- Five siblings who went missing from the Cypress, Texas, area early Tuesday have been found, albeit in another state. Harris County Constable Ted Heap says that the boys, ranging in age from 7 to 14, were located safe in Baton Rouge, La., and their mother and her boyfriend have been...
Stranded Boaters Fend Off
Sharks During Rescue
Oct 10, 2022 1:23 PM CDT
Stranded Boaters Fend Off Sharks During Rescue
Two rescued by Coast Guard had hand injuries from fighting off the sharks
- Two people from a sunken fishing boat were fending off sharks in the Gulf of Mexico when a crew rescued them and one other person from waters off the Louisiana coastline, the Coast Guard said. The agency launched a search after a relative reported that the three men failed to...
She Traveled 1.4K Miles
With an Unviable Fetus
for an Abortion
Sep 15, 2022 7:55 AM CDT
She Traveled 1.4K Miles With an Unviable Fetus for an Abortion
Nancy Davis says Louisiana's strict abortion law needs to change
- After learning in late July that her 10-week-old fetus was without the top of its skull and would die shortly after birth, Nancy Davis faced another difficulty. The 36-year-old Louisiana woman says Woman's Hospital in her home city of Baton Rouge refused to terminate the pregnancy for fear that...
Baggage Handler Killed in
Freak Accident at NOLA Airport
Sep 1, 2022 12:05 PM CDT
Baggage Handler Killed in Freak Accident at NOLA Airport
Jermani Thompson was unloading baggage from a flight that had landed
- A 26-year-old employee at the New Orleans airport was killed in a freak accident on Tuesday night. Jermani Thompson was working on the tarmac where planes are parked and was in the process of offloading luggage from a Frontier flight that had landed when her hair became caught in the...
Conspiracy Drama Complicates
Decision on Voting Machines
Aug 13, 2022 1:35 PM CDT
Conspiracy Drama Complicates Decision on Voting Machines
Louisiana's equipment is outdated, but Trump supporters push for paper ballots
- The need for Louisiana to replace its voting machines is not in dispute. They are badly outdated—deployed in 2006—and do not produce paper ballots critical to ensuring election results are accurate. What to do about them is another story, the AP reports. The drama includes allegations of bid-rigging,...
He May Have Served More
Time in Solitary Than Anyone
Aug 5, 2022 11:43 AM CDT
He May Have Served More Time in Solitary Than Anyone
Albert Woodfox, 75, released from prison in 2016, spent 43 years in solitary confinement
- Albert Woodfox, a member of the "Angola Three" who was thought to have spent more time in solitary confinement than any other person in US history, has died at the age of 75, reports the
. Woodfox's brother and legal team said he died of complications from COVID....
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
UNLV Shooter Was a 67-Year-Old Professor: Sources
Celebs' Jilted Exes Are Now Dating Each Other
This Could Be Behind 'Mystery' Dog Illnesses
Deputy Killed in Police Chase of Senator's Son
Trump Sets in Motion Fight That May Go to Supreme Court
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.