Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Inmates Sue Prison Over
Forced Labor in Fields
Sep 16, 2023 12:50 PM CDT
Inmates Sue Prison Over Forced Labor in Fields
Punishment for not meeting quotas can include solitary confinement, filing says
- Men incarcerated at Louisiana State Penitentiary filed a class-action lawsuit Saturday, contending they have been forced to work in the prison's fields for little or no pay, even when temperatures soar past 100 degrees. They described conditions as cruel, degrading, and often dangerous, the AP reports. The men, most...
Cops: He Got Away With Murder
—Until 2nd in Same Place
Sep 15, 2023 11:31 AM CDT
Cops: He Got Away With Murder —Until 2nd in Same Place
July beating death made police revisit December death in same Louisiana apartment
- When Christina Hobbs was found dead in her Louisiana apartment in December, authorities concluded she'd died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound. Some seven months later, authorities concluded that the 26-year-old had in fact been murdered only after a man with which she was involved allegedly killed a second woman...
Priest Charged 24 Years After
Admitting to Child Sex Acts
Sep 8, 2023 9:09 AM CDT
Priest Charged 24 Years After Admitting to Child Sex Acts
Lawrence Hecker indicted on rape, kidnapping charges in Louisiana
- A 91-year-old retired Catholic priest, previously named by the Archdiocese of New Orleans as being "credibly accused" of sexual abuse, is now facing charges over the alleged sexual assault of a teenage boy in 1975. A Louisiana state grand jury has indicted Lawrence Hecker on felony charges including aggravated...
Aug 10, 2023 9:15 AM CDT
Governor Slams 'Absurd' Reason for Rebuffing Death-Row Inmates
Louisiana's John Bel Edwards asks pardons board to commute death sentences for 56 prisoners
- A mass petition from 56 Louisiana inmates seeking commutations from their death sentences has seemingly made its way to Democratic Gov. John Bel Edwards, who this week sent a letter to the state's Board of Pardons to ask for movement on this front. Per the Louisiana Radio Network , the...
SCOTUS Delivers Good News
to Black Voters in Louisiana
Jun 26, 2023 3:06 PM CDT
SCOTUS Delivers Good News to Black Voters in Louisiana
It's now more likely the state will have to redraw congressional map to have a 2nd mostly Black district
- The Supreme Court on Monday paved the way for Louisiana to have to redraw its congressional map to add a second mostly Black district. In lifting a hold they had placed on a lower court's order, the justices revived revived Black Louisianans' optimism of creating a second such...
Texas to Overheated Locals:
Cut Back on Power to Save Grid
Jun 21, 2023 9:07 AM CDT
Texas to Overheated Locals: Cut Back on Power to Save Grid
Other parts of South also suffering from sweltering temps, post-storm power outages
- Texas' power grid operator asked residents Tuesday to voluntarily cut back on electricity due to anticipated record demand on the system, as a heat wave kept large swaths of the state and southern US in triple-digit temperatures. On the last day of spring, the sweltering heat felt more like the...
'High Schooler,' 17, Actually
a 28-Year-Old Woman: Cops
in case you missed it
Jun 18, 2023 4:05 PM CDT
'High Schooler,' 17, Actually a 28-Year-Old Woman: Cops
Woman allegedly wanted to learn English, had recently arrived in US
- A 28-year-old woman and her mother were arrested Tuesday morning in Louisiana and accused of an odd scheme. Police say Marta Elizeth Serrano-Alvarado, 46, enrolled her adult daughter Martha Jessenia Gutierrez-Serrano in Boutte's Hahnville High School for the 2022-23 school year, passing her off as a 17-year-old by using...
Get Ready to
Jun 14, 2023 11:08 AM CDT
Deep South, Get Ready to Get Walloped
Severe thunderstorms, winds, tornadoes, hail blowing through on Wednesday
- Americans in the Deep South might want to find a nice Yankee cousin to visit for a couple of days, because the weather is looking to be, shall we say, unpleasant? As Weather.com reports, a strong jet stream is ripping through the region starting Wednesday, bringing with it severe...
Sheriff: Man Shot Girl, 14,
May 9, 2023 2:55 PM CDT
Sheriff: Man Shot Girl, 14, Playing Hide-and-Seek
Louisiana man told investigators he saw shadows outside his home
- A Louisiana man is facing multiple charges after allegedly opening fire on young people who were playing hide-and-seek on his property. Authorities say David V. Doyle, 58, shot a 14-year-old girl in the back of the head early Sunday,
reports. She was hospitalized with non-life-threatening injuries and Doyle...
He Didn't Do It; It Took
29 Years to Free Him
May 9, 2023 5:22 AM CDT
Stepdaughter Insisted He Didn't Do It; It Took 29 Years to Free Him
Louisiana man served 29 years behind bars for rape he didn't commit
- For more than 20 years, Patrick Brown's stepdaughter insisted to prosecutors that Brown did not rape her when she was 6 years old—but nothing was done until Monday, when the Louisiana man was finally released after serving 29 years in prison for the crime he did not commit....
5 La. Cops Plead
Not Guilty in Deadly
Arrest of Black Motorist
Apr 12, 2023 1:20 AM CDT
5 La. Cops Plead Not Guilty in Deadly Arrest of Black Motorist
Ronald Greene was killed in 2019
- The five Louisiana law enforcement officers charged in the death of Ronald Greene pleaded not guilty when they were arraigned Tuesday, CNN reports. They include four Louisiana state troopers and a Union Parish deputy, one of whom has since been fired for an unrelated excessive force incident. They are next...
Man Found Dead on Work Trip
Encountered Drugs, Prostitutes
Mar 30, 2023 9:30 AM CDT
Man Found Dead on Work Trip Encountered Drugs, Prostitutes
Nathan Millard, found with fentanyl in system, died of accidental drug overdose: report
- Nathan Millard, the Georgia businessman whose body was found wrapped in plastic in Baton Rouge earlier this month, died of an accidental drug overdose, authorities say. A toxicology report shows the 42-year-old father of five had fentanyl, cocaine, and ethanol (alcohol) in his system at the time of death. Police...
This Is the Most Stressed
State in America
Mar 28, 2023 1:30 PM CDT
This Is the Most Stressed State in America
Mississippi needs to meditate, per WalletHub, while Minnesota seems to be handling its tension just fine
- Need to squeeze one of those stress balls more than you used to? It could have something to do with where you live. WalletHub looked at all 50 states to see which ones were the most afflicted by anxiety and tension, examining more than three dozen metrics across four main...
State Relents on Taking
'Neuty' From Couple
Mar 18, 2023 4:50 PM CDT
State Relents on Taking 'Neuty' From Couple
Louisiana family's nutria is invasive species that needs to be kept at zoo, wildlife officials had said
- After a public outcry, Louisiana officials have decided a couple can keep their pet. Denny and Myra Lacoste had afoul of state law by having a 22-pound nutria—a beady-eyed, orange-toothed, rat-tailed rodent commonly considered a wetlands-damaging pest—as a pet that frolics with their dog, snuggles in their arms,...
State Has Kept Thousands
in Prison Past Release Dates
Jan 26, 2023 5:20 PM CST
State Has Kept Thousands in Prison Past Release Dates
Over four months, Louisiana released 4K late, Justice Department finds
- A federal investigation has found that Louisiana often keeps inmates in prison after they're scheduled for release—sometimes for as long as three months. A report by the Justice Department, blaming "systemic violations," says from January to April 2022, almost 27% of inmates freed by the state'...
Police: LSU Student Was Raped
Before She Was Hit by Car
Jan 26, 2023 8:57 AM CST
Police: LSU Student Was Raped Before She Was Hit by Car
3 men and a juvenile charged in Madison Brooks case
- An intoxicated 19-year-old Louisiana State University student was raped in the back of a car before she was struck and killed by a vehicle in a Baton Rouge neighborhood in the early hours of Jan. 16, authorities say. Three adult males and a juvenile have been charged in connection with...
in This State
Now Have an
Jan 3, 2023 11:58 AM CST
Porn Perusers in This State Now Have an Extra Step
New law in Louisiana mandates commercial porn sites in that state ask for ID showing age verification
- A year ago, during an interview with radio host Howard Stern, singer Billie Eilish confessed to a pornography addiction that started at age 11, calling it a habit that "really destroyed my brain." Professional counselor and sex addiction therapist Laurie Schlegel, who also happens to be a Republican...
In Freezing Weather,
Worker Throws Water
on Homeless Woman
Dec 30, 2022 10:20 AM CST
In Freezing Weather, Worker Throws Water on Homeless Woman
Baton Rouge worker was fired from store, faces criminal charge
- A worker at a convenience store in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, was fired and charged with a misdemeanor after video emerged of her throwing a bucket of water on a homeless woman sitting outside the store on a freezing cold day. The video shows 33-year-old Kasey Weber shouting "move it"...
Boy, His Mom
Killed by Tornadoes
That Swept the South
Dec 15, 2022 2:23 AM CST
Boy, His Mom Killed by Tornadoes That Swept the South
Widespread destruction reported
- The severe storm system currently lashing the US brought at least 21 tornadoes that ripped through Louisiana over a 24-hour period Tuesday into Wednesday. A total of 49 tornado reports came in across the South during that time period, including twisters in Mississippi, Texas, Alabama, and Florida, and CNN reports...
Dec 14, 2022 9:50 AM CST
College Player's First Points 'Electrified' the Crowd
Watch Hansel Emmanuel, who has just one arm, make a crowd-pleasing dunk for NSU
- Hansel Emmanuel scored his very first points as a college basketball player over the weekend, but that achievement for Louisiana's Northwestern State University is earning more headlines than your run-of-the-mill player's first baskets. That's because the 6-foot-6 teen has just one arm, though that hasn't stopped...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Surfer Hit the Water, Heard 'Crunch, Crunch, Crunch'
'Like Living in a Horror Film' After Minks Escape From Farm
Boston College Suspends Swimming, Diving Teams
One Republican Comes to Garland's Defense in Hearing
Suspect in Murder of Illinois Family Found Dead in Vehicle
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.