Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
As Graduation Was Ending,
Students Were Given a Big Gift
Jun 2, 2021 7:40 AM CDT
As Graduation Was Ending, Students Were Given a Big Gift
Ohio's Wilberforce University wipes away debt for graduating students
- What's better than hearing your name read aloud at commencement? This: As Saturday's graduation ceremonies came to a close, Ohio's Wilberforce University President Elfred Anthony Pinkard let the 2020 and 2021 graduates know they would all be exiting without any student debt to the university. Cleveland.com...
University Uses COVID Relief
to Cancel Student Debt
May 16, 2021 9:30 AM CDT
University Uses COVID Relief to Cancel Student Debt
Delaware State just nuked $700K in loans
- An historically Black university has canceled $730,655 in student debt. Per CNN , Delaware State University is issuing relief for recent graduates who've been hit particularly hard due to the pandemic and is doing so with the help of federal dollars provided through American Rescue Plan for COVID-19 relief....
She's Paid $60K on Student
Debt of $78K, Now Owes $100K
Mar 19, 2021 3:37 PM CDT
She's Paid $60K on Student Debt of $78K, Now Owes $100K
Molly Webster writes of her uphill battle against interest on her loans
- Molly Webster is a science reporter for the popular Radiolab show, but her op-ed in the
New York Times
is on a different topic entirely: student debt. "I have a secret shame," she begins. "I am 38 years old and I carry enormous federal student loan debt,...
Biden Shuts Down $50K
Student Debt Idea in 6 Words
Feb 17, 2021 11:00 AM CST
Biden Shuts Down $50K Student Debt Idea in 6 Words
'I will not make that happen'
- President Biden on Tuesday slammed the door shut on a proposal to erase $50,000 in federal student loan debt per borrower with six words: "I will not make that happen," he said at a CNN town hall. But NBC News reports he did indicate that he was...
Judge Wipes Out
a Student Loan Tab
in case you missed it
Jan 12, 2020 4:20 PM CST
Judge Wipes Out a Student Loan Tab
$220K decision reflects the rethinking of standards for helping borrowers
- Kevin J. Rosenberg borrowed about $116,500 between 1993 and 2004 to get him through the University of Arizona, where he earned a history degree, and Cardozo Law School. With interest, that debt grew to $221,400, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. In 2018, Rosenberg filed Chapter 7 bankruptcy, unable...
Their Daughter Wanted
a Pricey College. They Said No
Dec 27, 2019 11:59 AM CST
Their Daughter Wanted a Pricey College. They Said No
Slate essay suggests parents have a duty to help their children avoid a costly mistake
- In an essay at Slate , Melody Warnick writes how she and her husband made the difficult decision to quash their teenage daughter's hopes of going to a fancy—meaning expensive—art school out of state upon graduation. Warnick feels like a "monster" for doing so, but the middle-class...
Is the Solution to the
Student Debt Crisis
Hiding in Kentucky?
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Dec 8, 2019 2:30 PM CST
Is the Solution to the Student Debt Crisis Hiding in Kentucky?
Berea College has taken a novel approach for more than a century
- Could the answer to our student-debt woes be hiding rural Kentucky? Maybe, writes Holly Honderich for the BBC . And if it is, it's an answer that was arrived at in 1892. That's the year Berea College, which was founded nearly four decades prior, ceased charging tuition. Honderich explains...
Med School Is on Us,
Sep 17, 2019 4:44 PM CDT
Med School Is on Us, Cornell Decides
School will cover all costs for anyone qualifying for financial aid
- Student debt is a burden for many college graduates. For new doctors, the need to repay loans can drive them to higher-paying specialties rather than family medicine. "We have been planning, strategizing, and raising money" to address the student debt issue, says the dean of Cornell University's medical...
Student Debt Is the Worst
in These 10 States
Jul 10, 2019 5:47 PM CDT
Student Debt Is the Worst in These 10 States
Going to school in South Dakota could leave you with a big tab by graduation
- One of the "hot-button" issues in the upcoming presidential election is how students will pay for their education, WalletHub notes—and to put things in geographical context, it's analyzed the numbers to see which states have the most and least student debt. The site looked at a dozen...
Sanders to Propose
to an 'Absurdity'
Jun 24, 2019 9:02 AM CDT
Sanders to Propose 'Revolutionary' End to an 'Absurdity'
Presidential contender wants to wipe out all $1.6T of student loan debt in the US
- The first debates for Democratic presidential contenders are taking place Wednesday and Thursday, but one candidate isn't keeping a major proposal under wraps until then. Per Vox , Sen. Bernie Sanders on Monday is set to unveil legislation in support of a "College for All" proposal that calls for...
Man Who Fled US After
Ruined My Life'
Jun 13, 2019 2:00 AM CDT
Man Who Fled US After Graduation: 'College Ruined My Life'
Student loan debt made living in America unbearable for Chad Albright, and others
- You just graduated college. What are you doing next? The answer was not "going to Disney" for these three grads profiled by CNBC —it was fleeing to Ukraine, Japan, and even a jungle in India, all to escape the crushing debt from their student loans back in the...
Behind College Offer: The
Richest Black Person in US
May 20, 2019 12:20 PM CDT
Behind College Offer: The Richest Black Person in US
Robert F. Smith is paying off the class debt at Morehouse College
- It will be hard to top as a commencement speech going forward. Billionaire Robert F. Smith told 2019 graduates of Atlanta's Morehouse College in his speech Sunday that he would pay off all their student loans. Morehouse is a historically black college, and Smith is considered to be the...
Billionaire Stuns Grads
With Commencement Pledge
May 20, 2019 12:33 AM CDT
Billionaire Stuns Grads With Commencement Pledge
Robert F. Smith will pay off the loans of Morehouse College students
- Billionaire investor Robert F. Smith received an honorary degree from Morehouse College during graduation ceremonies Sunday—and he told the rest of the Class of 2019 that they wouldn't have to worry about repaying student debt. "This is my class and I know my class will pay this...
Warren Unveils Audacious
Student Debt Plan
Apr 22, 2019 10:10 AM CDT
Warren Unveils Audacious Student Debt Plan
She would wipe it out entirely for most
- Elizabeth Warren is out with what might be her most controversial policy proposal yet ahead of the 2020 election: She wants to wipe out a large chunk of the student debt now held by Americans, reports HuffPost . "The time for half-measures is over," Warren writes in a blog...
The Reality of Living With
a $100K Student Loan Debt
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Aug 26, 2018 2:30 PM CDT
The Reality of Living With a $100K Student Loan Debt
MH Miller is due to have it paid off in 2032
- "I have come to think of my debt as like an alcoholic relative from whom I am estranged, but who shows up to ruin happy occasions." MH Miller's description of his roughly decade-old student loan debt might not be extreme enough. In a lengthy piece for the...
How One Man Racked
Up $1M in Student Debt
May 26, 2018 2:00 PM CDT
How One Man Racked Up $1M in Student Debt
Orthodontist and his wife lived frugally but the bills kept piling up
- Mike Meru has a staggering student-loan problem: He owes lenders $1,060,945.42. He is making payments, but still, his debt grows $130 every day. And the 37-year-old orthodontist is not alone. There are currently 101 borrowers who owe more than $1 million in student loans, and there are...
Defrauded Students Getting
Debt Relief—25 Years Later
Aug 10, 2017 7:11 PM CDT
Defrauded Students Getting Debt Relief—25 Years Later
Government settles lawsuit filed by students of shuttered for-profit college
- One of the largest for-profit college chains in the US was shuttered in 1994 after federal investigations revealed it had defrauded thousands of students by falsely certifying them for federal loans. Ever since, the US government has been collecting on federal student loan debt left behind by students of Wilfred...
Could Wipe Out
$5B in Student Loans
Jul 18, 2017 3:42 AM CDT
Paperwork Errors Could Wipe Out $5B in Student Loans
Courts are throwing out National Collegiate's cases
- One of the biggest holders of private student loans appears to have flunked Bookkeeping 101—and that could be very good news for a lot of borrowers. The National Collegiate Student Loan Trust, a group of 15 trusts holding 800,000 student loans worth around $12 billion, has been pursuing...
Unpaid Student Debt
Below Poverty Line
Dec 25, 2016 1:05 PM CST
Unpaid Student Debt Sending Seniors Below Poverty Line
Report: Social Security garnishments rising among older Americans
- Can federal student loan debt follow you into your golden years? It can and it is, per a report released Tuesday. The Department of Education last year garnished $171 million from Social Security checks going to Americans ages 50 and up, reports Consumerist . Since most of those affected are aging...
Student Debt Forgiveness to
Cost Taxpayers $108B: Report
Dec 1, 2016 1:48 PM CST
Student Debt Forgiveness to Cost Taxpayers $108B: Report
Government Accountability Office says that's how much will be forgiven in coming years
- A new report out of the Government Accountability Office reveals that the federal government will forgive at least $108 billion in student loan debt in the coming years, a higher amount than official estimates out of the federal government's Education Department, the
reports. The GAO report, which...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Investigation Lobs Disturbing Allegations Against Candy Giant
A 'Familiar Maternal Face on TV' Dead at 93
Morgan Names Royals Who Made Alleged Racist Comments
Couple's NC Wyeth Windfall Collapses
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.