Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Supreme Court to Decide
Fate of Student Debt Relief
Dec 1, 2022 2:56 PM CST
Supreme Court to Decide Fate of Student Debt Relief
Justices keep pause on Biden's debt-canceling plan in place now
- The Supreme Court on Thursday said the Biden administration program to cancel student loans will remain blocked for now, but the justices agreed to take up the case in late winter. The court's decision to hear arguments relatively quickly means it is likely to determine whether the widespread loan...
Biden Is Extending
Student Loan Pause
Nov 22, 2022 5:39 PM CST
Biden Is Extending Student Loan Pause
Pause on repayments will continue while debt cancellation plan faces legal challenges
- President Biden announced Tuesday that his administration will extend the pause on federal student loan payments while the White House fights a legal battle to save his plan to cancel portions of the debt. "It isn't fair to ask tens of millions of borrowers eligible for relief to...
Appeals Court Grants Injunction
Blocking Student Debt Plan
Nov 14, 2022 4:18 PM CST
Appeals Court Grants Injunction Blocking Student Debt Plan
Courts have kept Biden's forgiveness plan from getting started
- A federal appeals court granted a preliminary injunction Monday pausing President Biden's program to wipe clean billions of dollars in student debt, the AP reports. Six states challenging the plan had asked the 8th Circuit Court of Appeals in St. Louis for an injunction while issues around the case...
Lawsuit Seeks to Block
Biden Loan Forgiveness Plan
Sep 27, 2022 5:55 PM CDT
Lawsuit Seeks to Block Biden Loan Forgiveness Plan
Plaintiff argues that he'll be forced to pay state income tax on forgiven debt
- President Biden's student loan debt forgiveness plan is being challenged by a lawsuit seeking to block it just before it can take effect. In the lawsuit filed in the US District Court for the Southern District of Indiana Tuesday, public interest lawyer Frank Garrison argues that he will be...
CBO to Biden: Here's
Your Student Debt Price Tag
Sep 27, 2022 6:15 AM CDT
CBO to Biden: Here's Your Student Debt Price Tag
$400B over the next 30 years, it estimates
- President Biden’s plan for student debt cancellation will cost the federal government about $400 billion over the next 30 years, according to new estimates from the Congressional Budget Office. The figures were released Monday in response to a request from Republican lawmakers who oppose Biden’s plan in large...
Critics Call Biden Student Debt
Plan a 'Regressive Mistake'
Aug 25, 2022 7:22 AM CDT
Critics Call Biden Student Debt Plan a 'Regressive Mistake'
'WaPo' calls it 'ill-conceived and misdirected'
- President Biden rolled out his long-awaited plan for federal student loan debt forgiveness on Wednesday—but while it will erase student debt for an estimated 20 million Americans and reduce it for many millions more, the list of people criticizing the plan is a long one, including those who say...
Report: Biden Will
Make Big Student Loan
Aug 23, 2022 6:01 PM CDT
Report: Biden Will Make Big Student Loan Announcement Wednesday
Insiders say debt forgiveness plan will include $125K income cap
- President Biden on Wednesday is set to announce his long-delayed move to forgive up to $10,000 in federal student loans for many Americans and extend a pause on payments to January, the AP reports, citing three people familiar with the plan. Biden has faced pressure from liberals to provide...
Decision on Student Loans
Coming in 'Next Week or So'
Aug 22, 2022 3:00 AM CDT
Decision on Student Loans Coming in 'Next Week or So'
Nobody has been required to make a student loan payment since March 2020
- The Biden administration will announce something about student loans "within the next week or so." Per the Hill, Education Secretary Miguel Cardona promised on Sunday's
Meet the Press
that an announcement is forthcoming ahead of an Aug. 31 deadline, after which loan payments are scheduled to resume....
Graduation Got Even Sweeter
May 16, 2022 7:45 PM CDT
Graduation Got Even Sweeter
Evan Spiegel and Miranda Kerr pay off student debt for LA school's Class of 2022
- Evan Spiegel, who later co-founded Snapchat, has fond memories of taking summer classes at Otis College of Art and Design while in high school. "It changed my life and made me feel at home," Spiegel said, the
Los Angeles Times
reports. "I felt pushed and challenged to...
Debt Forgiveness May Turn
Good Choices Into 'Sucker's Bet'
May 6, 2022 12:30 PM CDT
Debt Forgiveness May Turn Good Choices Into 'Sucker's Bet'
Two columnists worry about the fairness of wiping out student loans
- Progressives are pushing President Biden to make a dramatic move to wipe out a large chunk of student debt before the midterms. Sen. Elizabeth Warren, for example, wants the president to use his executive authority to cancel $50,000 in debt per person, which she argues would eliminate the loans...
Don't Expect a Huge Number
on Biden's Student Loan Salve
Apr 29, 2022 12:46 PM CDT
Don't Expect a Huge Number on Biden's Student Loan Salve
President still considering 'some debt reduction,' but not the $50K-per-borrower some Dems want
- Reducing, or outright eliminating, debt for the 43 million people who've borrowed money via federal student loans has long been a top priority on progressives' wish list. And President Biden is seriously considering "some debt reduction," he announced this week, though advocates shouldn't get their hopes...
Big Help Coming for
Millions of Student
Apr 20, 2022 7:04 AM CDT
Big Help Coming for Millions of Student Loan Borrowers
Retroactive help is on the way from the federal government
- After years of lawsuits and pressure from lawmakers, activists, and others, the US Department of Education will offer retroactive assistance to millions of borrowers who utilized income-driven repayment (IDR) plans. Among those raising awareness of the issue was NPR , which this month released an investigation revealing how the plans, which...
Student Loan Servicer Must
Cancel Debt of 66K Borrowers
Jan 13, 2022 2:15 PM CST
Student Loan Servicer Must Cancel Debt of 66K Borrowers
Navient settles claims of predatory lending
- Navient, one of the nation's large student loan servicers, has settled allegations of predatory lending practices for $1.85 billion, Pennsylvania's attorney general said Thursday. The settlement requires the company to cancel the debt of 66,000 borrowers, a total of $1.7 billion, and to pay $95...
NYU Diplomas Often Come
With a Large Burden
Dec 26, 2021 2:20 PM CST
NYU Diplomas Often Come With a Large Burden
'Wall Street Journal': Grads and parents have unusually high debt loads
- The story begins with an anecdote about a 28-year-old woman selling her eggs—five times, actually—to make ends meet. The twist is that she has a master's from NYU, and the
Wall Street Journal
reports that her plight will be familiar to other grads from the school. "...
'Gold Mine' for Schools
Is Misery for Grad Students
Jul 11, 2021 6:15 AM CDT
'Gold Mine' for Schools Is Misery for Grad Students
Wall Street Journal looks at how elite programs saddle students with lifelong debt
- Congratulations, you've been accepted to Columbia University's film program. Welcome to your lifetime of debt. That's not quite the greeting new grad students receive, but it ends up being the unwelcome reality for all too many, reports the
Wall Street Journal
. The newspaper takes a lengthy look...
America's Student Debt
Total Getting $500M Lighter
Jun 16, 2021 11:05 AM CDT
America's Student Debt Total Getting $500M Lighter
Loan relief granted to former ITT Tech students
- The Education Department said Wednesday it's erasing student debt for thousands of borrowers who attended a for-profit college chain that made exaggerated claims about its graduates' success in finding jobs and students' ability to transfer credits elsewhere. The Biden administration said it's approving 18,000 loan forgiveness claims...
As Graduation Was Ending,
Students Were Given a Big Gift
Jun 2, 2021 7:40 AM CDT
As Graduation Was Ending, Students Were Given a Big Gift
Ohio's Wilberforce University wipes away debt for graduating students
- What's better than hearing your name read aloud at commencement? This: As Saturday's graduation ceremonies came to a close, Ohio's Wilberforce University President Elfred Anthony Pinkard let the 2020 and 2021 graduates know they would all be exiting without any student debt to the university. Cleveland.com...
University Uses COVID Relief
to Cancel Student Debt
May 16, 2021 9:30 AM CDT
University Uses COVID Relief to Cancel Student Debt
Delaware State just nuked $700K in loans
- An historically Black university has canceled $730,655 in student debt. Per CNN , Delaware State University is issuing relief for recent graduates who've been hit particularly hard due to the pandemic and is doing so with the help of federal dollars provided through American Rescue Plan for COVID-19 relief....
She's Paid $60K on Student
Debt of $78K, Now Owes $100K
Mar 19, 2021 3:37 PM CDT
She's Paid $60K on Student Debt of $78K, Now Owes $100K
Molly Webster writes of her uphill battle against interest on her loans
- Molly Webster is a science reporter for the popular Radiolab show, but her op-ed in the
New York Times
is on a different topic entirely: student debt. "I have a secret shame," she begins. "I am 38 years old and I carry enormous federal student loan debt,...
Biden Shuts Down $50K
Student Debt Idea in 6 Words
Feb 17, 2021 11:00 AM CST
Biden Shuts Down $50K Student Debt Idea in 6 Words
'I will not make that happen'
- President Biden on Tuesday slammed the door shut on a proposal to erase $50,000 in federal student loan debt per borrower with six words: "I will not make that happen," he said at a CNN town hall. But NBC News reports he did indicate that he was...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Boy Dies After 'the Most Exciting Moment of His Life'
Woman Dies After a Fall on Southwest Airlines' Jet Bridge
Dances With Wolves Actor Arrested in Sex Cult Case
Baby Didn't Have Ticket for Flight. His Parents Left Him Behind
Prosecutors: Baldwin Was on His Phone During Gun Training
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.