Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
In a Shot at Apple, Europe
Plans New Law on Chargers
Sep 23, 2021 11:17 AM CDT
In a Shot at Apple, Europe Plans New Law on Chargers
Legislation would require that phones, etc., use universal charger, a USB-C
- Anyone who's fought with a tangle of wires hunting for the right charger may find themselves cheering a proposed law in Europe: It would require that all phones, tablets, and all other such electronic devices use the same type of charger—a USB-C, reports the BBC . Apple is already...
Epic CEO on
Sep 23, 2021 1:14 AM CDT
Epic CEO on Fortnite Drama: 'Apple Lied'
Tim Sweeney says Apple told Epic the game would be 'blacklisted' until case is resolved
- Tim Sweeney, CEO of Fortnite maker Epic Games Inc., said Wednesday it’s been told by Apple that the game will be “blacklisted from the Apple ecosystem” until the companies’ legal case is resolved and all appeals are exhausted, which could take as long as five years, the AP...
iPhones of the Future
May Keep Tabs on
Your Mental Health
Sep 21, 2021 8:21 AM CDT
iPhones of the Future May Keep Tabs on Your Mental Health
Apple has teamed up with Biogen, UCLA to study depression, anxiety, cognitive decline
- We rely on our devices for practically everything these days, and Apple apparently hopes we'll soon check our iPhones to get a better handle on our mental health. The tech giant has previously teamed up with UCLA on mental health research, and with pharmaceuticals company Biogen on studying cognitive...
Apple Introduces iPhone 13
Sep 14, 2021 6:28 PM CDT
Apple Introduces iPhone 13
Latest model will have up to 1 terabyte of storage
- Apple has unveiled its next iPhone line-up, including a model that offers twice the storage available in earlier versions and other modest upgrades to last year’s editions that proved to be a big hit among consumers devouring the latest technology during the pandemic. From the AP :
Apple Issues iPhone
Update After Hack
Sep 14, 2021 12:17 AM CDT
Apple Issues iPhone Update After Hack
Though such schemes 'are not a threat to the overwhelming majority of our users'
- Apple released a critical software patch to fix a security vulnerability that researchers said could allow hackers to directly infect iPhones and other Apple devices without any user action, the AP reports. Researchers at the University of Toronto's Citizen Lab said the security issue was exploited to plant spyware...
Apple: Don't Attach iPhones
to High-Power Motorcycles
Sep 13, 2021 6:45 PM CDT
Apple: Don't Attach iPhones to High-Power Motorcycles
Company says it can permanently damage camera
- The iPhone apparently was not born to be wild. Apple warned users last week that attaching iPhones to powerful motorcycles exposes the devices to " intense high-amplitude vibrations" that could damage camera systems, the BBC reports. A support document released Friday states that vibrations "transmitted through the chassis and...
a Blow to Apple
Sep 10, 2021 12:26 PM CDT
Judge's App Store Ruling a Blow to Apple
Restrictions have been loosened—good news for app developers, and possibly consumers
- A federal judge ordered Apple to dismantle part of the competitive barricade guarding its closely run App Store, threatening one of the iPhone maker's biggest moneymakers. It could potentially also save app developers billions of dollars that could encourage them to lower the prices paid by consumers, per the...
Rival Hires Away
Apple's Car Boss
Sep 8, 2021 6:10 PM CDT
Rival Hires Away Apple's Car Boss
Doug Field will lead Ford's technology efforts
- Apple has been working on a car project since 2014, but little is publicly known about its progress; the company hasn't acknowledged its existence. However it's doing, Project Titan appears to have been slowed now that Ford has hired the project's top executive, the
Apple's Plan to Start Scanning
Your Photos Worries Some
Aug 6, 2021 6:53 AM CDT
Apple's Plan to Start Scanning Your Photos Worries Some
Privacy advocates say feature, which looks for child porn, could be misused
- Child protection advocates are praising Apple's plan to roll out new anti-child-pornography features later this year—but privacy advocates worry about what else it might lead to. The company says the software, called neuralMatch, will scan images on a user's iPhone before they are uploaded to the iCloud...
3 Tech Giants Report
of More Than $50B
Jul 27, 2021 6:27 PM CDT
3 Tech Giants Report Combined Profits of More Than $50B
Apple, Microsoft, Alphabet have more than doubled in value during pandemic
- Three tech companies— Apple, Microsoft, and Google owner Alphabet—reported combined profits of more than $50 billion in the April-June quarter, underscoring their unparalleled influence and success at reshaping the way we live. The results served as another reminder of the clout they wield and why government regulators are growing...
Jun 14, 2021 11:46 AM CDT
Justice Official Leaving Amid Records Seizure Controversy
John Demers is resigning as assistant AG for national security after Apple subpoenas
- The Justice Department’s top national security official is resigning from his position after revelations that the department secretly seized records from Democrats and members of the media. John Demers will leave his post as assistant attorney general for national security by the end of next week, a Justice Department...
New Apple Features
Include 'Universal Control'
Jun 7, 2021 5:50 PM CDT
New Apple Features Include 'Universal Control'
Company unveils changes at virtual conference
- Apple announced out a slew of new features at its annual developers' conference Monday, including what it calls "Universal Control." The feature will allow users to move content between multiple devices, including iPads, using a single keyboard and mouse, CNET reports. The new features unveiled on the first...
App Store Trial Could
Reshape Mobile Market
May 3, 2021 6:25 PM CDT
App Store Trial Could Reshape Mobile Market
Apple v. Epic Games had a chaotic start Monday
- A court battle that could reshape the market for apps on mobile devices got underway Monday—and the Epic Games v. Apple trial had a chaotic start. The dispute began when Apple kicked Epic's "Fortnite" game off the App Store . A court conference call allowed callers to listen...
New iPhone Feature Adds
to Zuckerberg-Cook Tension
Apr 27, 2021 4:39 PM CDT
New iPhone Feature Adds to Zuckerberg-Cook Tension
Users can choose to not allow tracking for ad purposes, striking at Facebook's model
- A new privacy feature released Monday reflects the widening gulf between Facebook and Apple—and their leaders. The feature makes iPhone owners choose whether to let apps like Facebook track them across other apps, a practice that's central to targeting users with tailored ad content. Should iPhone users reject...
In North Carolina, a
'Doubling Down' by Apple
Apr 26, 2021 11:27 AM CDT
In North Carolina, a 'Doubling Down' by Apple
Company says it's building new $1B campus in Raleigh-Durham area
- North Carolina is getting a major new tenant, with promises of thousands of jobs coming with it. Apple announced Monday it will be building a new campus in the Raleigh-Durham area, set to house 3,000 employees who will work in jobs involving artificial intelligence, software engineering, and machine learning,...
Parler Cleared for
App Store Return
Apr 19, 2021 1:57 PM CDT
Parler Cleared for App Store Return
Apple says Parler has agreed to make changes
- In what Republican Rep. Ken Buck calls a "huge win for free speech," Apple has decided to allow social media app Parler to return to the App store. In a letter Buck tweeted Monday, Apple exec Timothy Powderly said Apple has approved a version of the app with...
Apple for $600K
Mar 31, 2021 7:19 AM CDT
Man Blames Apple for $600K Bitcoin Theft
Scam cryptocurrency app was downloaded from the 'trusted' App Store
- Apple says its App Store is "the world's most trusted marketplace for apps," where each submission is carefully reviewed. Still, one app on iOS was able to steal $1.6 million in bitcoin from at least five people, reports the
. On Feb. 1, Phillipe Christodoulou...
Apple Hits Huge Milestone,
Investors Are Unimpressed
Jan 28, 2021 7:14 AM CST
Apple Hits Huge Milestone, Investors Are Unimpressed
Company reports $111B earnings in Q1
- Wednesday was a tough day for tech stocks and things didn't improve for Apple in after-hours trading—despite the fact that it had just reported record-breaking results. The company reported a record $111.4 billion in revenue for its fiscal first quarter, well ahead of expectations and up 21%...
Parler CEO After Apple, Google
Play Moves: 'We Won't Cave!'
Jan 9, 2021 8:30 AM CST
Parler CEO After Apple, Google Play Moves: 'We Won't Cave!'
Google Play has yanked the Parler app, and it looks like Apple is about to
- On the same day Twitter permanently banned President Trump due to what it says was a risk of further incitement of violence, another social media platform found itself contending with its own troubles related to the same. CNN Business reported Friday that Google Play has yanked the app for Parler,...
Have Bought Tesla
Dec 23, 2020 12:01 AM CST
Elon Musk: Apple Could Have Bought Tesla
But Tim Cook wouldn't meet with him, Musk says
- Apple is reportedly working on its own electric car, but it apparently could have owned Tesla. Elon Musk on Tuesday revealed that, "during the darkest days of the Model 3 program," he tried to sell his company to Apple. "I reached out to Tim Cook to discuss...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Longtime ESPN Journalist Comes Out as Transgender
Illinois Has a New Name for 'Delicious' Invasive Species
Her Photo Was Used for Story About 'Fat' Women. Now She's Suing
Cops Can't Find Mom, Kids Who Were Staying With Flash Star
They Were Barred From Guarding Chauvin, Just Got $1.5M
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.