Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
There's a Big Problem With
Apple's Automatic 911 Calls
Feb 3, 2023 1:16 PM CST
There's a Big Problem With Apple's Automatic 911 Calls
Call centers are overwhelmed with calls triggered when there is no emergency
- Emergency call centers in various states that have been inundated with false calls and officials are pointing the finger at a single culprit: Apple. Since 2018, Apple devices have been able to detect when a user suffers a hard fall . If a fall is detected, the device buzzes and sends...
Apple Users Get Hit With
Surcharge for Twitter Blue
Dec 12, 2022 10:35 AM CST
Apple Users Get Hit With Surcharge for Twitter Blue
Blue check mark system is back, but some will be paying more than others
- Twitter's blue check-mark system under Elon Musk didn't go so well when it was launched last month, thanks to a proliferation of phony accounts, and it was suspended almost as soon as it began. Now it looks like the paid subscription program is coming back, though some people...
Lawsuit: Apple AirTags
Are a Stalker's Dream
Dec 6, 2022 5:17 PM CST
Lawsuit: Apple AirTags Are a Stalker's Dream
Women suing company say devices are 'unreasonably dangerous'
- Apple says its AirTag tracking devices are "designed to track items not people"—but a lawsuit filed Monday calls them "unreasonably dangerous" products that make life easy for stalkers. The proposed class-action lawsuit was filed in federal court in California by two women who said ex-partners used...
Mark Zuckerberg Has
a Problem With Apple, Too
Dec 1, 2022 12:17 PM CST
Mark Zuckerberg Has a Problem With Apple, Too
CEOs of Meta, Spotify, Fortnite also complain of company's 'monopoly'
- Elon Musk may have eased his censure of Apple , but his initial attacks have ushered in a heap of criticism from elsewhere. Fellow billionaire Mark Zuckerberg echoed Musk's complaints that Apple has too great a hold on the app market on Wednesday. "Apple has sort of singled themselves...
Between Twitter, Apple
Dec 1, 2022 12:03 AM CST
Everything's Apparently Cool Between Twitter, Apple
Elon Musk tweets that 'misunderstanding' has been 'resolved'
- The Twitter-Apple war is over before it began. Elon Musk had on Monday started a feud with Apple because, he said, Apple was threatening to remove the Twitter app from its App Store, but on Wednesday, Musk tweeted that he had a "good conversation" with Apple CEO Tim Cook...
Apple Music Reveals
No. 1 Song of the Year
Nov 29, 2022 11:16 AM CST
Apple Music Reveals No. 1 Song of the Year
'Stay' by The Kid Laroi and Justin Bieber tops the list
- "Stay," the smash hit by The Kid Laroi and Justin Bieber, topped Apple Music's global songs chart in 2022 as the giant music streamer released its end-of-year lists and provided listeners with data on their own most listened-to tunes. Some details, per the AP :
Musk Declares 'War' on Apple
Nov 28, 2022 7:20 PM CST
Musk Declares 'War' on Apple
He accuses company of threatening to block Twitter from App Store
- Elon Musk had another busy day Monday on Twitter—the CEO slammed Apple over issues including free speech and posted a meme suggesting he was ready to "go to war" with the company over App Store policies. "What's going on here @tim_cook?" Musk tweeted to the Apple...
Ex-Employee Admits to
Defrauding Apple of $17M
Nov 2, 2022 12:58 AM CDT
Ex-Employee Admits to Defrauding Apple of $17M
Dhirendra Prasad worked as a buyer in the supply chain
A former Apple employee pleaded guilty Tuesday to defrauding the tech giant out of more than $17 million over seven years while he worked as a buyer for Apple's Global Service Supply chain, federal prosecutors said. Prasad admitted the fraud involved “taking kickbacks, inflating invoices, stealing parts,...
Apple to Adopt
Oct 26, 2022 10:30 AM CDT
'No Choice': Apple to Adopt USB-C Chargers
Greg Joswiak confirms company will comply with new laws, despite its opposition
- Apple has "no choice" but to begin making iPhones with a USB-C port, rather than one to fit its Lightning cables, an official has confirmed. Greg Joswiak, Apple's senior vice president of worldwide marketing, tells the
Wall Street Journal
that "we'll have to comply" with new...
At a Second Apple Store,
Workers Vote to Unionize
Oct 15, 2022 2:10 PM CDT
At a Second Apple Store, Workers Vote to Unionize
Labor movement has been gaining strength since pandemic hit
- Workers at an Apple store in Oklahoma City have voted to unionize, marking the second unionized Apple store in the US in a matter of months, according to the federal labor board. The vote on Friday signaled another win for the labor movement, which has been gaining momentum since the...
Super Bowl Has Its Halftime Act
Sep 25, 2022 3:15 PM CDT
Super Bowl Has Its Halftime Act
Rihanna will headline show in Arizona
- The drama involving the selection of the headliner for the next Super Bowl's halftime show is over, but the hype is just beginning. Rihanna will take the stage Feb. 12 in Arizona, per the
. An NFL executive welcomed the singer with a statement calling her "a...
Steve Jobs' Daughter Posts
Meme Mocking New iPhone
in case you missed it
Sep 11, 2022 3:00 PM CDT
Steve Jobs' Daughter Posts Meme Mocking New iPhone
Widely-posted meme suggests iPhone 14 is identical to iPhone 13
- Steve Jobs' youngest child responded to Apple's Wednesday announcement of the new iPhone 14 with a meme mocking the latest version of the smartphone. The widely shared meme shows a man holding up a new shirt that is identical to the shirt he's already wearing, and it reads,...
Holds the Line
Sep 7, 2022 5:25 PM CDT
Apple Unveils Latest iPhones, Holds the Line on Prices
Top models can send SOS by satellite
- Apple's latest lineup of iPhones will boast better cameras, faster processors, and a longer-lasting battery at the same prices as last year's model, despite the inflationary pressure that has driven up the cost of many other everyday items. That decision, revealed Wednesday during Apple's first in-person product...
Apple Warns of
Serious Security Flaw
Aug 19, 2022 12:00 AM CDT
Apple Warns of Serious Security Flaw
Owners of iPhones, iPads, and Macs put on alert
- Apple disclosed serious security vulnerabilities for iPhones, iPads and Macs that could potentially allow attackers to take complete control of these devices, the AP reports. Apple released two security reports about the issue on Wednesday, although they didn’t receive wide attention outside of tech publications. Apple’s explanation of...
Lawsuit for $50M
Jul 20, 2022 3:19 PM CDT
Apple Settles 'Butterfly' Keyboard Lawsuit for $50M
Customers in 7 states could get up to $395
- If you bought a MacBook laptop between 2015 and 2019, Apple might owe you up to $395. The company has agreed to pay $50 million to settle legal action brought by customers in seven states over its "butterfly" keyboards, the BBC reports. The keyboards were notorious for having problems...
It's a First for Apple, but
One the Company Fought
Jun 19, 2022 6:33 AM CDT
It's a First for Apple, but One the Company Fought
Workers in Maryland vote to create a labor union
- This is one trend that Apple wanted no part of—workers at one of its retail stores in Maryland have voted to create the company's first labor union. Employees at the Towson store near Baltimore voted 65-33 on Saturday to create the Apple Coalition of Organized Retail Employees, which...
Apple Won't Like New
EU Rule on Charging Cords
Jun 8, 2022 10:30 AM CDT
Apple Won't Like New EU Rule on Charging Cords
USB-C cable will be required for devices, from phones to headphones to GPS units, from 2024
- Forget rummaging through the junk drawer. Soon, Europeans will need to reach for just one cable to charge their smartphones and other devices, the AP reports. European Union officials said they inked a provisional agreement Tuesday that will require a uniform charging cord in the 27-nation bloc. The new rules,...
Apple to Let You 'Unsend'
a Text for First Time
Jun 7, 2022 8:50 AM CDT
Apple to Let You 'Unsend' a Text for First Time
Feature, along with the ability to edit texts, will be part of iOS16 update
- Apple unveiled a series of updates on the way for various products Monday, but the ones drawing the most attention involve texting. For the first time, iPhone users will be able to edit and even "unsend" texts, reports the Verge . However, they'll have to act fast: "Users...
Apple Previews Changes
to iPhone Software
Jun 6, 2022 5:11 PM CDT
Apple Previews Changes to iPhone Software
iOS 16 will give screen a new look
- Apple on Monday provided a peek at upcoming tweaks to the software that powers more than 1 billion iPhones and rolled out two laptops that will be the first available with the next generation of a company-designed microprocessor. As usual, Apple spent most of the opening day of its annual...
Parents Sue Apple
May 18, 2022 5:10 PM CDT
Parents Sue Apple After Allegedly Damaging Amber Alert
Say the volume of it tore their then-12-year-old's eardrum
- A Texas couple is blaming their 12-year-old son's "permanent hearing loss" on Apple, and on Monday they sued. Carlos Gordoa and Ariani Reyes of San Antonio allege their now-14-year-old, identified as BG, was watching Netflix on his iPhone using his AirPods Pro in 2020 when an Amber Alert...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Here's What People Are Saying After Biden's State of the Union
Elian Gonzalez Is Making Headlines Again
Romney Had It Out With George Santos at SOTU
After Tyre Nichols' Beating, a Pic Began Making the Rounds
As Quake Toll Surges, More Questions About 1999 Tax
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.