Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Musk Clashes With Prince
Over Twitter Takeover
Apr 15, 2022 11:27 AM CDT
Musk Clashes With Prince Over Twitter Takeover
He fires back after Saudi shareholder Prince Alwaleed bin Talal rejects takeover bid
- In the latest twist in Elon Musk's quest to buy Twitter, the Tesla CEO is clashing with a billionaire Saudi prince. Musk fired back Thursday after Prince Alwaleed bin Talal, a major Twitter shareholder, said he rejects Musk's takeover bid, al-Jazeera reports. "I don't believe that...
2 Trump Team Alums
Score Hefty Saudi Deals
Apr 11, 2022 12:36 PM CDT
2 Trump Team Alums Score Hefty Saudi Deals
NYT: Jared Kushner gets $2B and Steven Mnuchin $1B for respective investment funds
- Two big names from the Trump administration have struck lucrative deals with Saudi Arabia for their investment funds. The
New York Times
reports that Jared Kushner received $2 billion from the nation's Public Investment Fund for his firm Affinity Equity and that former Treasury chief Steven Mnuchin got $1...
Turkey Moves Khashoggi
Murder Trial to ... Saudi Arabia
Apr 7, 2022 7:43 AM CDT
Turkey Moves Khashoggi Murder Trial to ... Saudi Arabia
Country is now accused of trying to cover up its findings as it seeks to restore relations
- A court in Turkey has transferred the trial over Jamal Khashoggi's murder to Saudi Arabia, which is unlikely to even hear it, wiping away hopes from some human rights advocates that justice can finally be achieved for the journalist who was killed and dismembered inside the Saudi Consulate in...
in One Day
Mar 12, 2022 12:05 PM CST
Saudi Arabia Executes 81 in One Day
Toll is a modern-day high for the kingdom
- Saudi Arabia on Saturday executed 81 people convicted of crimes including killings and belonging to militant groups, the largest known mass execution carried out in the kingdom in its modern history. The number of executed surpassed even the toll of a January 1980 mass execution of the 63 militants convicted...
After 20 Years, Suspected
'20th Hijacker' Leaves Gitmo
Mar 7, 2022 5:35 PM CST
After 20 Years, Suspected '20th Hijacker' Leaves Gitmo
Mohammad Ahmad al-Qahtani has been flown back to Saudi Arabia
- A Saudi prisoner at the Guantanamo Bay detention center who was suspected of trying to join the 9/11 hijackers has been sent back to his home country for treatment for mental illness, the Department of Defense said Monday. Mohammad Ahmad al-Qahtani was flown to Saudi Arabia, to a treatment facility,...
Biden May Visit
Mar 7, 2022 5:24 AM CST
Biden May Visit Saudi Arabia
As cost of oil continues to rise
- Since his election in 2020, President Biden hasn't spoken with Saudi Arabia's crown prince and de facto ruler directly, connecting only with his father , King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud. It's not clear whether that might change any time in the near future, but what is clear,...
'I Do Not Care'
Mar 3, 2022 11:08 AM CST
Saudi's MBS: 'I Do Not Care' if Biden Dislikes Me
Crown prince talks to 'Atlantic,' again denies role in Khashoggi murder
is out with an interview of Saudi Arabia's Mohammad bin Salman , his first with a non-Saudi outlet in about two years. The 36-year-old crown prince has been keeping a relatively low profile since the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi , and that factored heavily in the talk. Some...
Feb 23, 2022 1:20 AM CST
Phil Mickelson Apologizes After Saudi League Comments
Pro golfer said he would consider playing for Saudi Arabia despite its record on human rights
Phil Mickelson is sorry. In a tweeted statement Tuesday, the golfer apologized for the "reckless" comments that came out last week, and insisted he has always had the best interests of golf, his peers, his sponsors, and fans of the sport at heart. "There is the problem...
Saudis Release Princess
Who Spent 3 Years in Detention
Jan 10, 2022 4:01 AM CST
Saudis Release Princess Who Spent 3 Years in Detention
Princess Basmah said to be seeking medical care
The Saudi princess who spent three years in state prison despite no charges having been filed against her is now free. Princess Basmah bint Saud bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, an outspoken human and women's rights advocate and critic of her cousin the crown prince and the country's...
Saudi Activist Sues
Aided UAE Hacking
Dec 10, 2021 4:05 PM CST
Saudi Activist Sues Americans Who Aided UAE Hacking
Loujain al-Hathloul, who led push for women to drive, was imprisoned and tortured
- Three former US intelligence and military officers have admitted in a separate case that they helped the United Arab Emirates with hacking operations. Now they're being sued by a Saudi women's rights activist who says the assistance of the three men led to her iPhone being hacked by...
Camel Beauty Pageant
Cracks Down on Cheaters
Dec 9, 2021 11:37 AM CST
Camel Beauty Pageant Cracks Down on Cheaters
Some animals had been given Botox injections
- The world's biggest camel beauty pageant has returned after a year off—and with it, the perennial controversy over suspiciously beautiful camels. The BBC reports that more than 40 camels have been disqualified from the King Abdulaziz Camel Festival in Saudi Arabia because of cosmetic procedures including Botox injections,...
Khashoggi Arrest Falls Apart
Dec 8, 2021 10:30 AM CST
Khashoggi Arrest Falls Apart
Man arrested in Paris isn't the right Khaled Alotaibi
Officials didn't get their guy after all. ABC News reports the man arrested Tuesday at Paris' Charles de Gaulle Airport in connection with the 2018 murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi at Saudi Arabia's consulate in Istanbul was the wrong man. In what was apparently a case of...
Calls to Cancel
Saudi Arabia Gig
Dec 6, 2021 4:05 PM CST
Bieber Rejects Calls to Cancel Saudi Arabia Gig
Singer played to packed crowd in Jeddah
- Justin Bieber sang his hits to a crowd in Saudi Arabia Sunday night, delighting the kingdom's Beliebers but dismaying human rights groups. The Canadian, whose Jeddah concert was part of Saudi Arabian Grand Prix events, had been urged to stay away because of the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi...
Sister of Death Row Inmate
Makes Plea to Race Car Driver
Dec 2, 2021 11:05 AM CST
Sister of Death Row Inmate Makes Plea to Race Car Driver
She asks Lewis Hamilton to use his clout to free her sibling in Saudi Arabia
- The sister of a man who was sentenced to death in Saudi Arabia is asking seven-time Formula One champion Lewis Hamilton to help save her brother's life. Zeinab Abu Al-Kheir told the AP in a telephone interview that Hamilton's declaration two weeks ago in Qatar that F1 is...
Japan Does a 180 on
Controversial Omicron Policy
Dec 2, 2021 12:07 AM CST
Japan Does a 180 on Controversial Omicron Policy
And more on what omicron means around the globe
Just one day after announcing a recommendation that quickly became quite controversial, Japan is changing its tune. The country's transport ministry on Thursday said it was retracting its request that airlines stop taking reservations for people coming in to Japan until the new year, the AP reports.
Nov 21, 2021 6:40 PM CST
Khashoggi Fiancee to Bieber: Cancel Show
He is scheduled to play in Saudi Arabia
- Justin Bieber is slated to play a show next month in Saudi Arabia at a Formula One race. Slain journalist Jamal Khashoggi’s fiancée is one of many vocal critics asking him to pull out of the commitment. In an open letter on the
opinion section, Hatice...
Execution of Man
Convicted of Murder
When He Was 14
Has Been Blocked
Nov 15, 2021 2:31 AM CST
Execution of Man Convicted of Murder When He Was 14 Has Been Blocked
Human rights watchers had questioned Saudi Arabia's claims of reform
The conviction of a Saudi man sentenced to death in a controversial case has been overturned by Saudi Arabia's top court, human rights groups announced last week. Abdullah al-Huwaiti, now 19, was found guilty of killing a police officer after robbing a jewelry store when he was 14,...
Gulf Countries Ban
Nov 5, 2021 3:58 AM CDT
Gulf Countries Ban
Censors objected to same-sex kiss
- The latest Marvel movie comes out in the US on Friday, but in Saudi Arabia and other Gulf countries, the release date for
has been shifted from Nov. 11 to possibly never. Sources tell the
that Disney was not willing to make cuts demanded by censors in...
Exiled Security Official Calls
Saudi Prince a 'Psychopath'
Oct 25, 2021 2:16 PM CDT
Exiled Security Official Calls Saudi Prince a 'Psychopath'
Saad Aljabri said he fears for his life in 60 Minutes interview
- An exiled former security official for the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia called the crown prince and de facto ruler of the kingdom a "psychopath" and a "killer," in an interview on CBS ’s
. Saad Aljabri lives in Canada now, but back in 2014 he...
Oil Giant Sets Net-Zero Target
Oct 24, 2021 10:10 AM CDT
Oil Giant Sets Net-Zero Target
Saudi Arabia makes announcement ahead of global climate summit
- Saudi Arabia, one of the world's largest oil producers, has announced it aims to reach "net zero" greenhouse gas emissions by 2060, joining more than 100 countries in a global effort to curb man-made climate change. Although the kingdom will aim to reduce emissions within its own borders,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Gunman Sent Message: 'Going to Shoot Elementary School'
'She Is Gone,' Texas Man Sobbed Into Phone
Details Emerge About Teen Shooter in Texas
Beto O'Rourke Interrupts Abbott's Press Conference
Senator's Angry, Heartbroken Speech on Texas School Shooting Goes Viral
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.