Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Soccer's 'Golden Boy' Exits
Sudden Brain Surgery
Nov 4, 2020 9:50 AM CST
Soccer's 'Golden Boy' Exits Sudden Brain Surgery
Diego Maradona recovering well as of Tuesday night
- Fans of Diego Maradona can breath a sigh of relief following news that the Argentinian soccer legend has successfully undergone surgery to remove a blood clot on his brain. The 60-year-old "Golden Boy" was hospitalized with dehydration, depression, and anemia in La Plata on Monday before an MRI revealed...
As Docs Operated on Her
Brain, She Stuffed 90 Olives
Jun 10, 2020 11:45 AM CDT
As Docs Operated on Her Brain, She Stuffed 90 Olives
Woman prepares classic Italian snack in under an hour while surgeons removed brain tumor
- Playing instruments while your brain is getting operated on is so last decade . Ask "Donna," who recently whipped up a traditional Italian snack while surgeons were removing a tumor from her left temporal lobe. The BBC and ABC News report that the 2.5-hour procedure took place recently...
Her Skull Was Open.
Still, She Played
Feb 20, 2020 9:55 AM CST
Her Skull Was Open. Still, She Played
Dagmar Turner hopes to return to her orchestra after removal of brain tumor
- An orchestra violinist should be able to play under almost any circumstance. In the middle of brain surgery isn't one of them. But Dagmar Turner has managed that feat. The 53-year-old was diagnosed with a slow-growing brain tumor in 2013 after suffering a seizure while playing with the Isle...
in Woman's Brain
Jun 5, 2019 12:34 PM CDT
Doctors Found Tapeworm Egg in Woman's Brain —and Cheered
They'd expected to find a cancerous tumor
- A New York woman was super pumped to learn she had a "gross" tapeworm egg in her brain—because it meant the lump wasn't a cancerous tumor as doctors had suspected. "What we saw in surgery was not at all what we were expecting," Dr. Jonathan...
NFL Star's Wife Back in
Hospital After Brain Surgery
Apr 26, 2019 2:28 PM CDT
NFL Star's Wife Back in Hospital After Brain Surgery
'I thought I could power through the pain,' Kelly Stafford says
- Kelly Stafford has returned to the hospital and been placed back on pain medication and steroids, MSN reports. The wife of Detroit Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford recently underwent brain surgery to remove a tumor. "They told me tapering off the steroids was going to be very difficult," she...
Wife of NFL QB
Had Lucky Break
During Brain Surgery
Apr 22, 2019 8:25 AM CDT
Wife of NFL QB Had Lucky Break During Brain Surgery
It relates to an 'abnormal vein'
- An "abnormal vein" threw a kink into Kelly Stafford's brain surgery Wednesday, stretching the procedure from an expected six hours to 12, but thanks to a neurosurgeon, the wife of Detroit Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford is now in recovery mode, per the
Detroit Free Press
. "Now I...
Allman Brothers' Dicky Betts
Has Emergency Brain Surgery
Sep 21, 2018 1:01 PM CDT
Allman Brothers' Dicky Betts Has Emergency Brain Surgery
Manager says it was a success and thanks fans
- Dicky Betts had been on the mend from a "minor stroke" he suffered in August, and just one week ago the Allman Brothers Band guitarist was said to be "raring to go" in preparations for upcoming November shows, per a message his manager posted on Facebook . But a...
As Doctors Operated
on Her Brain, She
Gave Them a Concert
Apr 2, 2018 8:59 AM CDT
As Doctors Operated on Her Brain, She Gave Them a Concert
Woman plays flute during deep brain stimulation in Houston
- To be a professional flute player with uncontrollable shaking of the head and hands is less than ideal, and after years of battling a neurological disorder called essential tremor , Anna Marie Whitlock Henry decided she'd had enough. So the 63-year-old underwent brain surgery last week to remedy the tremors—...
Wrong Patient Gets Brain
Surgery Due to Hospital Mix-Up
Mar 2, 2018 5:31 PM CST
Wrong Patient Gets Brain Surgery Due to Hospital Mix-Up
CEO of Kenyatta National Hospital suspended
- Doctors at a hospital in Kenya were two hours into brain surgery to remove a patient's blood clot when they discovered to their shock there was no clot, the Daily Nation reports. They had the wrong patient. According to the BBC , the patient they were operating on simply needed...
on Hold After
Trebek Has Brain Surgery
Jan 5, 2018 6:22 AM CST
on Hold After Trebek Has Brain Surgery
Host is recuperating from procedure in December
- Alex Trebek has a "slight medical problem," in his words—but it's serious enough that
is now on hiatus. NBC News reports the 77-year-old game show host underwent brain surgery to remove blood clots on Dec. 16 at Los Angeles' Cedars-Sinai Medical Center and is now...
Teen to Aetna After Brain
Surgery Denied: 'Screw You'
Dec 12, 2017 9:51 AM CST
Teen to Aetna After Brain Surgery Denied: 'Screw You'
Parents of girl wracked by seizures now trying to come up with $300K on their own
- When Cara Pressman gets seizures, she describes it as "like having a nightmare but while you're awake," giving her the chills and the shakes and causing her to zone out for up to two minutes. So the 15-year-old, who a release says is from New York and...
How a Neurosurgeon
Brought Down Napoleon
Jul 30, 2015 8:06 AM CDT
How a Neurosurgeon Brought Down Napoleon
Russian general's remarkable brain surgery saved his life, resulted in visionary strategy
- As Napoleon Bonaparte's forces moved toward Moscow in the autumn of 1812, Russian General Mikhail Kutuzov burned his own city, fled east, and left Moscow open to invaders. But what some supposed were the actions of a madman instead proved visionary, as Napoleon's troops couldn't handle the...
Brain Surgery Uncovers
Woman's 'Evil Twin'
Apr 23, 2015 2:57 AM CDT
Brain Surgery Uncovers Woman's 'Evil Twin'
'Tumor' turned out to have hair, bone, and teeth
- A PhD student who was having a lot of trouble concentrating discovered she had something strange on her mind—an embryonic twin complete with hair, bone, and teeth. A surgeon made the disturbing find when he reached into the brain of 26-year-old Yamini Karanam to extract what was thought to...
Surgeon Walked 6 Miles
in Snowstorm to OR
Jan 31, 2014 7:04 AM CST
Surgeon Walked 6 Miles in Snowstorm to OR
Dr. Zenko Hrynkiw helped out a few stranded strangers along the way
- You think you're dedicated to your job? Probably not compared to this guy: Dr. Zenko Hrynkiw was needed for an emergency brain surgery at Birmingham, Alabama's Trinity Medical Center on Tuesday morning, but he was six miles away at another hospital. With a snowstorm raging and traffic at...
Former F1 Champ
in Ski Crash
Dec 29, 2013 4:32 PM CST
Former F1 Champ Suffers 'Severe Brain Trauma' in Ski Crash
Michael Schumacher in critical condition at French hospital
- Seven-time Formula One champion Michael Schumacher was hospitalized with a head injury today after a skiing accident in the French Alps, French authorities and his manager said. The French Mountain Gendarmerie said Schumacher was wearing a helmet when he had a hard fall at the Meribel resort and initially described...
Tainted Brain Surgery Tools Exposed 13 to Fatal Disease
Sep 5, 2013 12:40 AM CDT
Tainted Brain Surgery Tools Exposed 13 to Fatal Disease
But sterilizing wouldn't have eliminated Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease
- As many as 13 brain surgery patients are being monitored for symptoms of a "rapidly progressive and always fatal" brain disease they may have gotten while under the knife. Instruments contaminated with Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease, a rare, incurable disorder similar to mad cow disease, were used on eight patients at...
A's Pitcher Still in
Sep 8, 2012 9:58 AM CDT
A's Pitcher Still in Danger After Line Drive Hits Him
Brandon McCarthy had brain surgery this week
- The Oakland A's are in the thick of a playoff race, but players have a way more pressing situation to keep an eye on: A's pitcher Brandon McCarthy is in the hospital recovering from brain surgery after getting hit on the head by a line drive Wednesday. McCarthy...
Iraq Vet Wounded in
Occupy Protest Wakes Up
Oct 28, 2011 7:49 AM CDT
Iraq Vet Wounded in Occupy Protest Wakes Up
Occupy protests around the country hold candlelight vigils for Scott Olsen
- Scott Olsen, the 24-year-old Iraq war veteran who suffered a fractured skull when police raided the Occupy Oakland camp on Tuesday, is awake and lucid, and doctors have upgraded his condition from critical to fair, Reuters reports. “He’s able to understand what’s going on,” a hospital...
Mary Tyler Moore
May 12, 2011 11:26 AM CDT
Mary Tyler Moore to Undergo Brain Surgery
Rep says the procedure is 'fairly routine'
- Mary Tyler Moore will undergo brain surgery, her rep tells
. A meningioma, a benign tumor on the brain's lining tissue, will be removed. Her rep says Moore's neurologist "has been monitoring this for years" and that the procedure is "fairly routine." Click for a...
Only 5% Survive
Gunshot to the Head
TRAGEDY IN ARIZONA
Jan 9, 2011 5:40 AM CST
Only 5% Survive Gunshot to the Head
Even with survival comes high risk of long-term brain damage
- The survival rate of a gunshot wound to the head, as Arizona Rep Gabrielle Giffords suffered yesterday, is about 5%, and 3% of those who do survive carry lasting neurological deficiencies, such as loss of memory loss or motor skills, reports Fox News . The next three to four days are...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Boy Dies After 'the Most Exciting Moment of His Life'
Woman Dies After a Fall on Southwest Airlines' Jet Bridge
Dances With Wolves Actor Arrested in Sex Cult Case
Baby Didn't Have Ticket for Flight. His Parents Left Him Behind
Prosecutors: Baldwin Was on His Phone During Gun Training
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.