Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
34 Years After Murder, Killer
Identified From a Single Hair
Mar 18, 2022 10:28 AM CDT
34 Years After Murder, Killer Identified From a Single Hair
'Closure is everything,' says son who was 2 when Diane Dahn was killed
- On May 2, 1988, 2-year-old Mark Beyer was found wandering on his own in a San Diego-area apartment complex. His mother had been stabbed to death in their apartment. After 34 years, police have identified the killer, and Beyer, now 36, says he finally has closure—"and closure is...
'Little Miss Nobody' Identified
as Girl Abducted in 1960
Mar 16, 2022 6:58 AM CDT
'Little Miss Nobody' Identified as Girl Abducted in 1960
Body of little girl found in 1960 identified as Sharon Lee Gallegos
- “Little Miss Nobody” finally has a name. The Yavapai County Sheriff's office said Tuesday the previously unidentified little girl whose burned remains were found over 60 years ago in the Arizona desert was 4-year-old Sharon Lee Gallegos of New Mexico, the AP reports. The child's remains were...
One Mystery Solved, Another
Reopened in Grisly Find
Mar 14, 2022 8:33 AM CDT
One Mystery Solved, Another Reopened in Grisly Find
Decapitated head found in Illinois in 1993 identified as Susan Lund of Tennessee
- Forensic sleuthing has solved one 29-year-old mystery—the identity of a woman whose head was found in an Illinois park in 1993. But the development has raised a new question: Who killed the woman newly identified as Susan Lund of Tennessee? As Clarksville Now reports, Lund was a 25-year-old mother...
Boys Identified 70 Years
After Bludgeoning by Hatchet
Feb 16, 2022 10:05 AM CST
Boys Identified 70 Years After Bludgeoning by Hatchet
David and Derek D'Alton named as Vancouver's 'Babes in the Woods'
- For almost 70 years, they've been known as the "Babes in the Woods." Now, thanks to DNA, police in Vancouver, Canada, say they finally know the names of two young victims who were found bludgeoned to death by a hatchet in Vancouver's Stanley Park in 1953....
in case you missed it
Feb 13, 2022 5:10 PM CST
58-Year-Old Murder Case Cracked by College Student
Finding Marise Chiverella's killer was 'hardest thing that I've ever done,' says Eric Schubert
- Pennsylvania state police have identified a man who raped and murdered a 9-year-old girl 58 years ago—with help from a college student. Marise Ann Chiverella was abducted while walking to school in Hazleton, 80 miles north of Philadelphia, on March 18, 1964. Her raped and strangled body was found...
He Recalled a Story His Dad
Told Him, Helped Solved Case
Feb 9, 2022 9:55 AM CST
He Recalled a Story His Dad Told Him, Helped Solved Case
Sheriff's office says the 1972 Durham case is now closed
- A crack in the decades-old case came in 2019. Shane Birt agreed to be interviewed for a book on notorious Georgia crimes, including a case his father had participated in, reports the
. He recounted a story his father, Billy Sunday Birt, had told him during a prison visit:...
2008 'Lane Bryant' Murders
Receive New Interest
Feb 2, 2022 3:29 PM CST
2008 'Lane Bryant' Murders Receive New Interest
2 new detectives have been put on the case
- A mass murder that took place at a Chicago-area Lane Bryant 14 years ago remains unsolved, but authorities hope a new pair of detectives will change that, FOX 32 reports. Four customers and two employees—all women—were shot at close range during what was likely an attempted robbery at...
He Plunged From Cliff in 1988.
34 Years Later, an Admission
Jan 20, 2022 3:35 PM CST
He Plunged From Cliff in 1988. 34 Years Later, an Admission
Australia's Scott White confesses in court to killing American Scott Johnson
An Australian man has admitted to murdering an American mathematician who fell to his death from a cliff in Sydney in 1988, reports the AP . Scott White admitted in court that he killed Scott Johnson, whose death was initially ruled a suicide. The 27-year-old Johnson was gay, and prosecutors...
11 Years After Girl's Murder,
Mother's Ex Is Indicted
Jan 4, 2022 1:49 PM CST
11 Years After Girl's Murder, Mother's Ex Is Indicted
Shawn Adkins accused of killing 13-year-old Hailey Dunn in 2010
- She posed for a Christmas Day photo with her mom and her mom's live-in boyfriend in 2010. But 13-year-old Hailey Dunn of Colorado City, Texas, would not live to see the new year, and a new indictment accuses the live-in boyfriend of her murder. Shawn Adkins, 35, was indicted...
Girl's Alleged Killer Arrested
43 Years Later
Dec 21, 2021 9:35 AM CST
Girl's Alleged Killer Arrested 43 Years Later
Mark Stanley Personette, 76, may have more victims, say police
- A man was arrested in Colorado on suspicion of killing a teenage girl in San Francisco more than four decades ago—and detectives say he may be a suspect in other unsolved homicides, per the AP . Mark Stanley Personette, 76, was arrested in suburban Denver last week following a joint...
Decades-Old Human Remains
Belong to 1960s Guitarist
in case you missed it
Dec 18, 2021 5:00 PM CST
Decades-Old Human Remains Belong to 1960s Guitarist
Frank Little Jr. was a member of the O'Jays
- The remains of a man have been identified almost 40 years after they were found—and it turns out he was once a member of an R&B group that has a place in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Frank "Frankie" Little Jr. was a guitarist for...
Police Find Remains After
a Death-Row Confession
Dec 13, 2021 11:41 AM CST
Police Find Remains After a Death-Row Confession
David Neal Cox admitted killing sister-in-law before he was executed in Mississippi
Authorities in Mississippi have found the body of a woman after a death-row inmate confessed just before his execution. David Neal Cox, convicted of murdering his wife, told authorities before he died that he also killed sister-in-law Felicia Cox and told them where to find her body. On Sunday,...
DNA Solves Case of Waitress
Killed in Restaurant Bathroom
Dec 10, 2021 1:19 PM CST
DNA Solves Case of Waitress Killed in Restaurant Bathroom
Danny Lamont Hamilton allegedly drowned Priscilla Lewis in 1996
- A DNA match has helped cold case investigators solve the killing of a San Francisco Bay Area waitress whose body was found in a restaurant's basement bathroom 25 years ago, authorities said Thursday. A murder charge was filed by prosecutors against prison inmate Danny Lamont Hamilton, alleging he drowned...
'For 45 Years, We've Looked for
This Young Man and This Car'
Dec 8, 2021 1:35 PM CST
'For 45 Years, We've Looked for This Young Man and This Car'
Kyle Wade Clinkscales' car is found in an Alabama creek
- Investigators have discovered the 1974 Pinto a 22-year-old student was driving on his way back to Auburn University from Georgia when he disappeared more than 45 years ago, sheriff's officials announced Wednesday. Kyle Wade Clinkscales' car was pulled from a creek around Cusseta, Alabama, on Tuesday after a man...
DNA Suggests Her 2001 Killer
Was Also a Pallbearer
Dec 6, 2021 12:34 PM CST
DNA Suggests Her 2001 Killer Was Also a Pallbearer
Investigators say David Reed beat his half sister to death with a conch shell
- After Rose Marie Moniz was found dead in a pool of blood in her New Bedford, Mass., home in March 2001, investigators determined the 41-year-old had been beaten to death with a fireplace poker, a cast-iron kettle, and a conch shell. Investigators say DNA evidence from the last item has...
Mother Who Left Infant
in Field Is Sentenced
Dec 2, 2021 6:30 PM CST
Mother Who Left Infant in Field Is Sentenced
Theresa Bentaas receives 10 years, with nine suspended
- A South Dakota judge on Thursday sentenced a woman to 10 years in the state prison system for her infant son's 1981 death that went unsolved for decades. Judge Bradley Zell called the sentencing of 60-year-old Theresa Bentaas a decision that he belabored for weeks, in part because it...
A 'Mount Everest' of
Cold Case Probes
Has Been Solved
Nov 22, 2021 3:31 AM CST
A 'Mount Everest' of Cold Case Probes Has Been Solved
More than 62 years later, 9-year-old's killer identified
- Nine-year-old Candice "Candy" Rogers was selling Camp Fire mints in her neighborhood in Spokane, Wash., in March 1959 when she disappeared. Sixteen days later, her body was found in woods a few miles from her home; she had been strangled with her own slip, the Daily Beast reports. More...
A 1908 Death That Inspired
Nov 13, 2021 10:23 AM CST
A 1908 Death That Inspired
New book looks at the unsolved murder of Hazel Drew in Sand Lake, New York
- If you're a
fan, you may want to put this upcoming book on your reading list.
Murder at Teal's Pond: Hazel Drew and the Mystery That Inspired Twin Peaks
, is set to be released Jan. 1, and as the name implies, it's about the murder...
DNA on Beer Cans Helps
Solve 25-Year-Old Murder
Nov 9, 2021 9:50 AM CST
DNA on Beer Cans Helps Solve 25-Year-Old Murder
Kenneth Stough Jr. is accused of killing a convenience store manager in Orlando in 1996
- A discarded Budweiser beer can has led authorities to a man accused of stabbing a convenience store manager 73 times in 1996. Terrence Paquette, 31, was preparing to open the Lil' Champ Food Store in Orlando, Fla., before 6am on Feb. 3, 1996, when he was gruesomely attacked, per KIRO...
Cops Arrest Parents of Baby
Found Dead in Trash in 1991
Oct 27, 2021 11:25 AM CDT
Cops Arrest Parents of Baby Found Dead in Trash in 1991
Infant boy suffered blunt force trauma, asphyxiation: authorities
- North Carolina police say they've arrested the parents of an infant found dead in a trash can rack some 30 years ago. It was April 4, 1991, that the decomposed remains of an infant boy were discovered in Nags Head in North Carolina's Outer Banks. Authorities determined the...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Anne Heche's Cause of Death Revealed
After Failed Effort to Help New Orleans, Brad Pitt Settles
Lowe's Makes Big Move to Help Workers With Inflation
Trump Donors Respond to Push After FBI Search
20-Year-Old Makes $110M on Bed Bath & Beyond Stock
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.