Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
She Disappeared in 1972.
Now, 'Finally,' Search Is Over
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jun 11, 2022 4:15 PM CDT
She Disappeared in 1972. Now, 'Finally,' Search Is Over
Remains found in 1974 identified as 15-year-old Florida girl
- In 1974, the remains of a teenage girl were found in Florida's Palm Beach County. Nearly five decades later, she finally has a name: Authorities have identified her as Susan Gale Poole, who was 15 when she went missing just before Christmas in 1972, Local 10 reports. They believe...
Arrest Is Made in Spate
of Hospital Deaths in 2002
May 20, 2022 10:57 AM CDT
Arrest Is Made in Spate of Hospital Deaths in 2002
Jennifer Anne Hall's lawyer says she is being wrongly accused—again
- In the five months that Jennifer Anne Hall was a respiratory therapist at Hedrick Medical Center in 2002, the rural Missouri hospital experienced 18 "code blue" incidents—an alarming increase in sudden cardiac arrest events for a hospital that historically averaged one of them a year, according to a...
Police: DNA Match Solves
Murder After 34 Years
May 17, 2022 6:25 PM CDT
Police: DNA Match Solves Murder After 34 Years
But it won't be possible to prosecute the suspect
- Almost exactly 34 years ago—May 23, 1988—two of Lucille Hultgren's many friends stopped by her house to check on her after she didn’t show up for church, only to find her body. The 79-year-old was a recent widow and mother of two adult sons. The coroner...
26 Years After Murder,
Note to Cops Leads to Arrest
May 5, 2022 6:05 PM CDT
26 Years After Murder, Note to Cops Leads to Arrest
Jade Benning accused of stabbing boyfriend Christopher Harvey in Santa Ana, California
- For more than two decades, police in Southern California wondered who killed 22-year-old Christopher Harvey in his own apartment. Then they got a major hint contained in an anonymous note. The letter, submitted to police in January 2020, implicated Harvey's live-in girlfriend Jade Benning, who'd pointed the finger...
'I Pushed a Bloke.
He Went Over the Edge'
May 2, 2022 12:02 PM CDT
'I Pushed a Bloke. He Went Over the Edge'
Australian court hears confession in 1988 murder of American Scott Johnson
- A man told police he killed American mathematician Scott Johnson in 1988 by pushing the 27-year-old off a Sydney cliff in what prosecutors describe as a gay hate crime, a court heard on Monday. Scott White, 51, appeared in the New South Wales state Supreme Court for a sentencing hearing...
Madeleine McCann: Suspect
Declared Ahead of Deadline
Apr 22, 2022 6:33 AM CDT
Madeleine McCann: Suspect Declared Ahead of Deadline
German national Christian Brueckner is currently incarcerated
- Portuguese prosecutors have identified a formal suspect in the 2007 disappearance of Madeleine McCann. Prosecutors in Faro, the main city of the Algarve region, said Thursday that a suspect had been formally identified a day earlier, per the BBC . Though prosecutors didn't name the individual, they said he had...
She Went Out for
a Run in 1998 and
Never Came Home
Apr 19, 2022 3:45 PM CDT
She Went Out for a Run in 1998 and Never Came Home
'Dateline' resurfaces the case of Tera Smith
- The case of a California 16-year-old who vanished after going out for a run in 1998 is back in the spotlight thanks to
, which has delved into the case of Tera Smith. NBC News reports mother Marilyn told
her recollection of August 22, 1998: The two had run...
29 Years Later
Apr 19, 2022 3:03 AM CDT
Victim of 'Happy Face Killer' Identified, 29 Years Later
Patricia Skiple was found dead in 1993
- A victim of the Happy Face Killer has been identified nearly 30 years after her body was left near a California highway, authorities said Monday. Patricia Skiple of Colton, Ore., had been known only as “Blue Pacheco" for the color of her clothing until genetic genealogy was used to...
30 Years Later,
in Ditch Has
Apr 14, 2022 10:10 AM CDT
30 Years Later, Female Found in Ditch Has a Name
Margaret Ann Sniegowski Jr., 17, IDed thanks to DNA evidence; now it's a homicide investigation
- For three decades, the identity of a body found along an Indiana highway remained unknown, a cold case that stumped Boone County officials. Now, a name to that body, thanks to a curious sister and advances in genetic genealogy. FOX59 details the case of 17-year-old Ohioan Margaret Ann Sniegowski Jr....
Apr 11, 2022 9:15 AM CDT
Mystery of Her 1982 Murder May Be Solved
Authorities in Georgia charge Marcellus McCluster in death of Rene Dawn Blackmore
- A long-unsolved murder of an Army private in Georgia may have been cracked. Authorities in Georgia have charged Marcellus McCluster, 64, with killing Rene Dawn Blackmore in 1982, when she was a private at Fort Benning, reports Fox 8 . The 20-year-old Blackmore vanished while returning to her barracks on the...
33 Years Later,
'Days Inn Killer'
Apr 6, 2022 6:53 AM CDT
33 Years Later, 'Days Inn Killer' Has Been Identified
DNA analysis leads to cold case resolution, points finger at a dead man
- In 1987, Vicki Heath was murdered in Kentucky; two years later, Margaret "Peggy" Gill and Jeanne Gilbert were killed in Indiana. More than three decades later, Indiana State Police say they've identified the man who murdered them and sexually assaulted another woman in Indiana in 1989, CNN reports....
YouTube Divers Say They
Found Man Missing Since 2003
Mar 22, 2022 12:31 AM CDT
YouTube Divers Say They Found Man Missing Since 2003
Family called in 'Adventures With Purpose' team
- James Amabile was on his way to pick up his daughters from a babysitter in Dec. 2003, and had told the babysitter he was running late. The 38-year-old never arrived, and was never seen again, the
reports. Now, a scuba diving team that is dedicated to helping families...
15 Years After
Mar 21, 2022 9:50 AM CDT
15 Years After Teen's Murder, Her Roommate Is Charged
Police arrest Nichole Rice, 34, in connection with fatal stabbing of Anita Knutson, 18, in Minot, ND
- Nearly 15 years after a North Dakota teen was found murdered in her home, a crack has finally been made in the case. Police in Minot say that Nichole Rice, 34, has been arrested in connection with 18-year-old Anita Knutson's killing, after more than 10 years in which "...
34 Years After Murder, Killer
Identified From a Single Hair
Mar 18, 2022 10:28 AM CDT
34 Years After Murder, Killer Identified From a Single Hair
'Closure is everything,' says son who was 2 when Diane Dahn was killed
- On May 2, 1988, 2-year-old Mark Beyer was found wandering on his own in a San Diego-area apartment complex. His mother had been stabbed to death in their apartment. After 34 years, police have identified the killer, and Beyer, now 36, says he finally has closure—"and closure is...
'Little Miss Nobody' Identified
as Girl Abducted in 1960
Mar 16, 2022 6:58 AM CDT
'Little Miss Nobody' Identified as Girl Abducted in 1960
Body of little girl found in 1960 identified as Sharon Lee Gallegos
- “Little Miss Nobody” finally has a name. The Yavapai County Sheriff's office said Tuesday the previously unidentified little girl whose burned remains were found over 60 years ago in the Arizona desert was 4-year-old Sharon Lee Gallegos of New Mexico, the AP reports. The child's remains were...
One Mystery Solved, Another
Reopened in Grisly Find
Mar 14, 2022 8:33 AM CDT
One Mystery Solved, Another Reopened in Grisly Find
Decapitated head found in Illinois in 1993 identified as Susan Lund of Tennessee
- Forensic sleuthing has solved one 29-year-old mystery—the identity of a woman whose head was found in an Illinois park in 1993. But the development has raised a new question: Who killed the woman newly identified as Susan Lund of Tennessee? As Clarksville Now reports, Lund was a 25-year-old mother...
Boys Identified 70 Years
After Bludgeoning by Hatchet
Feb 16, 2022 10:05 AM CST
Boys Identified 70 Years After Bludgeoning by Hatchet
David and Derek D'Alton named as Vancouver's 'Babes in the Woods'
- For almost 70 years, they've been known as the "Babes in the Woods." Now, thanks to DNA, police in Vancouver, Canada, say they finally know the names of two young victims who were found bludgeoned to death by a hatchet in Vancouver's Stanley Park in 1953....
in case you missed it
Feb 13, 2022 5:10 PM CST
58-Year-Old Murder Case Cracked by College Student
Finding Marise Chiverella's killer was 'hardest thing that I've ever done,' says Eric Schubert
- Pennsylvania state police have identified a man who raped and murdered a 9-year-old girl 58 years ago—with help from a college student. Marise Ann Chiverella was abducted while walking to school in Hazleton, 80 miles north of Philadelphia, on March 18, 1964. Her raped and strangled body was found...
He Recalled a Story His Dad
Told Him, Helped Solved Case
Feb 9, 2022 9:55 AM CST
He Recalled a Story His Dad Told Him, Helped Solved Case
Sheriff's office says the 1972 Durham case is now closed
- A crack in the decades-old case came in 2019. Shane Birt agreed to be interviewed for a book on notorious Georgia crimes, including a case his father had participated in, reports the
. He recounted a story his father, Billy Sunday Birt, had told him during a prison visit:...
2008 'Lane Bryant' Murders
Receive New Interest
Feb 2, 2022 3:29 PM CST
2008 'Lane Bryant' Murders Receive New Interest
2 new detectives have been put on the case
- A mass murder that took place at a Chicago-area Lane Bryant 14 years ago remains unsolved, but authorities hope a new pair of detectives will change that, FOX 32 reports. Four customers and two employees—all women—were shot at close range during what was likely an attempted robbery at...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Collins on Roe Ruling: 'I Feel Misled'
Garland Warns States About Abortion Pills
Experts Are Raising Eyebrows at Laundrie Confession
Missing at Sea for 11 Days, Va. Couple Emerges
Drought Ruins Crops, Shuts Off Milan's Fountains
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.