Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
She Turned to Podcasters Over
Sister's Killing. It Ended Badly
Dec 8, 2023 12:27 PM CST
She Turned to Podcasters Over Sister's Killing. It Ended Badly
The 'New York Times' looks at how families can be retraumatized by online sleuthing
- Liz Flatt was 8 when her sister, Debbie Sue Williamson, was murdered in 1975. The cold case continued to haunt her into adulthood, so in 2016, she decided to make a new push to get the crime solved. The years that followed brought her to CrimeCon, where she met George...
Her Body Was Found by
Rock Climbers 26 Years Ago
Dec 1, 2023 3:40 PM CST
Her Body Was Found by Rock Climbers 26 Years Ago
Authorities finally have a name for apparent homicide victim found in Nevada
- For more than a quarter of a century, investigators in Nevada were unable to identify a body found by rock climbers in rural Washoe County—though since people don't tend to bury themselves under piles of rocks, they deduced that she was a homicide victim. With the help of...
Mom Arrested 35 Years After
Girl Found Dead in Concrete
Nov 14, 2023 7:49 AM CST
Mom Arrested 35 Years After Girl Found Dead in Concrete
Kenyatta Odom, 5, was killed by her mother and the mother's boyfriend in 1988: Georgia indictment
- A man was walking through the woods near Millwood, Georgia, days before Christmas in 1988, when he came upon a TV cabinet encased in concrete, which he correctly viewed as suspicious, per WVIT . He called the Ware County Sheriff's Office, which sent detectives to investigate. "I really was...
2 Podcast Fans Help Right
a Decades-Old Wrong
Oct 28, 2023 8:30 AM CDT
2 Podcast Fans Help Right a Decades-Old Wrong
They brought 'Crime Junkie' case to husband's dad, who was chief of police in Odessa, Texas
- In some ways, the exoneration of James Reyos in Odessa, Texas, has a familiar ring to it. A reexamination of evidence from a decades-old murder convinced the state's highest court to clear him earlier this month, as the
recounts. But the story has a unique twist: Reyos,...
Writer May Have Cracked
Ocean City Cold Case
Oct 15, 2023 1:10 PM CDT
Writer May Have Cracked Ocean City Cold Case
Ocean City's 'Fudge King,' Harry Anglemyer, was murdered in 1964
- Who killed New Jersey's Fudge King? That's the question writer Tom Donaghy grappled with for several years, detailing the twisty true-crime account in Atavist Magazine . As a kid visiting the Jersey Shore, Donaghy was a frequent visitor of the Copper Kettle, a fudge shop that wiped out all...
Podcast Sparks Probe Into
Mystery Serial Killer 'Bible John'
Oct 12, 2023 9:05 AM CDT
Podcast Sparks Probe Into Mystery Serial Killer 'Bible John'
Police allegedly concealed identity of man thought to have killed 3 women in Glasgow
- Scottish police are reexamining three unsolved murders attributed to the country's most notorious alleged serial killer following an award-winning BBC podcast that suggested a police coverup. Journalist Audrey Gillan's
Bible John: Creation of the Serial Killer
, released in late 2022, told how Helen Puttock, Jemima MacDonald, and Patricia...
63 Years After
Girl Was Killed,
a New Sketch
Oct 11, 2023 3:00 AM CDT
63 Years After Girl Was Killed, a New Sketch of Suspect
Teen's sister, who was with her when she was abducted, helped to create it
- On the night of November 13, 1960, Ohio 14-year-old Nancy Eagleson was walking home from the movies with her 5-year-old sister, Sheryl, when a man drove up to the pair, asking them if they needed a ride home before forcing Nancy into the car and pushing Sheryl aside. Nancy was...
Crews Cleaning Storm Debris
May Have Solved a Cold Case
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Oct 7, 2023 4:05 PM CDT
Crews Cleaning Storm Debris May Have Solved a Cold Case
Officials think remains in Florida river were those of Alabama's James Aaron Toole, who vanished in '95
- Twenty-eight years ago, an Alabama father set out on a road trip to Florida, never to be seen again. Now, a cleanup crew clearing debris from August's Hurricane Idalia may have solved the missing-persons cold case of James Aaron Toole, after stumbling upon human remains in a Chevy Cavalier...
Cops Seek Former Friend in
Woman's 1995 Cold Case
Sep 26, 2023 10:25 AM CDT
Cops Seek Former Friend in Woman's 1995 Cold Case
'Finding Carlos is of critical importance' to solving Maria Telles-Gonzalez's killing, authorities say
- A woman's body was found in a drainage ditch off Interstate 95 in Yemassee, South Carolina, on May 24, 1995. She was wearing only underwear and had no possessions. Apart from a couple of scars, there were no identifiers. As a result, it took authorities more than 27 years...
Man Walks Into FBI Office,
Confesses to Unsolved Murder
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Sep 16, 2023 4:55 PM CDT
Man Walks Into FBI Office, Confesses to Unsolved Murder
John Michael Irmer now charged in 1979 death of Susan Marcia Rose
- In 1979, 24-year-old Susan Marcia Rose was found dead of multiple blunt force injuries to her head on a Boston street, and her murderer was never caught. But last month, John Michael Irmer walked into an FBI field office in Oregon, where he was living, and confessed to the crime,...
39 Years After 'Baby Mary'
Found Dead, an Arrest
Sep 11, 2023 1:58 AM CDT
39 Years After 'Baby Mary' Found Dead, an Arrest
New Jersey mother charged in her newborn's death
- Almost four decades ago, two boys reported to police that they'd found the body of a baby in a secluded, wooded part of New Jersey on the morning of Christmas Eve in 1984. Responding officers found the newborn girl's body, with the umbilical cord still attached, wrapped in...
NY to Revisit Case of Kids Who
Set Out for Concert, Vanished
Aug 30, 2023 2:13 PM CDT
NY to Revisit Case of Kids Who Set Out for Concert, Vanished
'Rolling Stone' looked at the 50-year search for Mitchel Weiser and Bonnie Bickwit
calls them "extraordinary developments" in the wake of its investigation into the 1973 disappearance of Mitchel Weiser, 16, and Bonnie Bickwit, 15. The two New Yorkers set out for the Summer Jam concert and vanished—and now Gov. Kathy Hochul has told the State Police to...
DA: We Know Who Killed
the 'Lady of the Dunes'
Aug 29, 2023 8:29 AM CDT
DA: We Know Who Killed the 'Lady of the Dunes'
Authorities conclude Guy Rockwell Muldavin killed wife Ruth Marie Terry on Cape Cod in 1974
- Authorities in Massachusetts on Monday concluded a woman whose mutilated body was discovered on Cape Cod nearly 50 years ago was killed by her husband. The announcement by the Cape and Islands District Attorney Robert Galibois brings to a close one of the state's most famous cold cases, per...
37 Years Later,
Cops Think They
Know What Happened
to Missing Teen
Aug 29, 2023 2:00 AM CDT
37 Years Later, Cops Think They Know What Happened to Missing Teen
Susan Robin Bender might have been killed, buried in Yosemite National Park
- Nearly four decades after a California 15-year-old went missing, authorities may know what happened to her. The case of Susan Robin Bender , who hasn't been seen since 1986, was reopened in 2021, and earlier this month, police announced an arrest had been made. Court documents indicate the suspect may...
36 Years Later, Police
Solve Hiker's Murder
Aug 28, 2023 11:55 AM CDT
36 Years Later, Police Solve Hiker's Murder
Cathy Sposito was killed by a high school student in Arizona, says sheriff
- A young college student who was brutally killed on a popular hiking trail in Arizona decades ago was the victim of a serial predator who took his own life years later, authorities say. Yavapai County Sheriff David Rhodes announced that DNA evidence indicates Bryan Scott Bennett was the man responsible...
Mother Sentenced in Slaying
of Her Newborn in 1992
Aug 23, 2023 5:51 PM CDT
Mother Sentenced in Slaying of Her Newborn in 1992
Infant girl was found in a South Carolina river
- A South Carolina woman was given a life sentence Wednesday in the 1992 death of her newborn daughter. Stacy Michelle Costner Rabon, 50, had been found guilty of homicide by child abuse this month by a York County jury. She'll be eligible for parole in 2031 because she was...
Blood, Hair Yield Leads in
AC/DC Manager's 1993 Murder
Aug 22, 2023 12:00 PM CDT
Blood, Hair Yield Leads in AC/DC Manager's 1993 Murder
Inquiry identifies person of interest, long since dead
- Australian authorities say they've identified a person of interest in the murder of AC/DC manager Crispin Dye some three decades after the fact. Dye, 41, a musician in his own right, was celebrating the release of his first solo album under the name "Cris Kemp" in a suburb...
Her Name Was
Unique. The Dangers
She Faced Were 'Common'
Aug 20, 2023 9:01 AM CDT
Her Name Was Unique. The Dangers She Faced Were 'Common'
'Washington Post' looks back on coverage of murdered mom, what everyone got wrong
- When Monica Hesse was a young reporter, she covered the story of Unique Harris, a 24-year-old single mom of two young boys who vanished from her DC apartment in October 2010, while she was hosting a sleepover for her kids and their 9-year-old cousin. It was a case that went...
After Citizen's Tip, a Big
Find in a South Florida Lake
in case you missed it
Aug 13, 2023 3:30 PM CDT
After Citizen's Tip, a Big Find in a South Florida Lake
Investigators looking into missing-persons cold cases find 32 vehicles submerged in Doral
- Divers in South Florida on the hunt for evidence tied to missing-persons cold cases have hundreds of sites on their "to search" list—but they may have just hit the motherlode at one location. CNN reports that a diving team from the nonprofit United Search Corps found 32 cars...
Cops: For Years, Girl's Killer
Acted Like 'Friend' of the Family
Jul 25, 2023 9:15 AM CDT
Cops: For Years, Girl's Killer Acted Like 'Friend' of the Family
Former pastor David Zandstra charged with 1975 killing of another pastor's daughter
- A former Pennsylvania pastor who reported the disappearance of a neighboring pastor's daughter when she failed to turn up at summer Bible camp in 1975 has admitted to murdering the girl who refused to remove her clothing for him. Eight-year-old Gretchen Harrington had set out from her home on...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
6 Teens Guilty for Role in Teacher's Beheading
U Penn President Steps Down After Outcry
Tomato Mysteriously Lost in Space Turns Up 8 Months Later
She Turned to Podcasters Over Sister's Killing. It Ended Badly
Evert Reveals 'Diagnosis I Never Wanted to Hear'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.