Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Sitting Bull's Closest
Living Relative Is Found
Oct 28, 2021 2:32 AM CDT
Sitting Bull's Closest Living Relative Is Found
Ernie LaPointe's longstanding claim of lineage has been confirmed
- The great-grandson of the iconic Native American chief Sitting Bull is 73 years old and living in South Dakota. DNA analysis has confirmed that the chief, whose Lakota name was Tatanka-Iyotanka, is the great-grandfather of Ernie LaPointe, the
reports. LaPointe had long claimed he and his sisters are Sitting...
The Paintings Remain Missing,
but Authorities Say There's DNA
Sep 22, 2021 1:00 PM CDT
The Paintings Remain Missing, but Authorities Say There's DNA
Nils M has been charged in the Netherlands
- His resume fits: a Dutch man identified as Nils M spent five years behind bars in connection with the 2012 theft of a 17th-century church vessel from a museum whose doors he blasted open. Prosecutors allege he struck again following his release. The 59-year-old was arrested in April and stands...
DNA Evidence Solves Crime,
This Time With a Twist
in case you missed it
Jul 17, 2021 8:31 AM CDT
DNA Evidence Solves Crime, This Time With a Twist
For the first time, tree DNA was used in a federal criminal trial
- That prosecutors used DNA evidence to convict a criminal isn't too surprising. But in this case—a first—the DNA came from a tree, reports the
. A jury in Tacoma, Wash., convicted 39-year-old Justin Wilke last week of illegal tree harvesting in Olympic National Forest, per the...
Mom Arrested in Newborn's
Death, 14 Years Later
Jul 8, 2021 9:40 AM CDT
Mom Arrested in Newborn's Death, 14 Years Later
Another cold case helped along by DNA evidence in 2007 homicide in Pennsylvania
- "Baby Mary Anne" would have been 14 this year, had she not been killed as a newborn and dumped in a trash bin at a Pennsylvania YMCA. Now, justice may be around the corner, thanks to DNA evidence that has helped along yet another cold case. PennLive.com reports...
14 Da Vinci Descendants
Jul 6, 2021 10:45 AM CDT
14 Da Vinci Descendants Are Uncovered
New study traces his family tree through 21 generations
- Leonardo da Vinci didn't have any children of his own, but a comprehensive investigation of his family history has turned up 14 living male relatives, reports ZME Science . The study in the
journal has increased the previous estimate of living relatives from two and might shed light...
Jun 10, 2021 10:15 AM CDT
DNA Cracks 65-Year-Old 'Lovers' Lane' Double Murder
The presumed killer, Montana native Kenneth Gould, is dead
- The children of a Montana native who died almost a decade and a half ago have learned the man with no known criminal history was in fact a double murderer. It wasn't a skeleton in the closet, but rather genetic genealogy that supplied the shock. Since 1956, detectives have...
Member of Doomed 1845
Arctic Expedition Is Identified
May 6, 2021 8:57 AM CDT
Member of Doomed 1845 Arctic Expedition Is Identified
John Gregory left a wife and kids at home
- It was his very first time at sea. It did not go well. Warrant Officer John Gregory is the first member of the doomed 1845 expedition in search of the fabled Northwest Passage to the East to be identified by DNA. All 129 explorers perished, most on King William Island...
Identical Twins Have
Telltale Genetic Differences
Jan 7, 2021 4:40 PM CST
Identical Twins Have Telltale Genetic Differences
Study of sequenced DNA reveals genetic differences
- If you’re an identical twin who’s always resisted being called a clone of your sibling, scientists say you have a point. Identical twins are not exactly genetically the same, new research shows, per the AP . Scientists in Iceland sequenced DNA from 387 pairs of identical twins—those derived...
DNA Triggers Arrest in
35-Year-Old Cold Case
Sep 12, 2020 4:30 PM CDT
DNA Triggers Arrest in 35-Year-Old Cold Case
Officials and family hold an emotional press conference in Rochester
- Wendy Jerome was brutally raped, killed, and left by a dumpster 35 years ago—a crime officials say has finally been solved with DNA testing, CNN reports. The news emerged at an emotional press conference Friday in Rochester, New York. "I never thought I would see this day, and...
DNA Slavery Study
Jul 24, 2020 12:20 PM CDT
DNA Slavery Study Yields Surprises
More enslaved people came to the US from Nigeria than previously thought, researchers say
- Using historical records has been the most traditional way to shed light on the dark stain of slavery in the United States. Now, per new research that the
calls "the largest DNA study to examine African ancestry in the Americas," gene analysis is helping put more pieces...
Killer IDed in 38-Year-Old Cold
Case, but He Won't Go to Prison
Jun 27, 2020 7:30 AM CDT
Killer IDed in 38-Year-Old Cold Case, but He Won't Go to Prison
Harold Warren Jarrell, suspected of murdering 8-year-old Kelly Ann Prosser in Ohio, died in 1996
- In September 1982, 8-year-old Kelly Ann Prosser was abducted while walking home from school in Columbus Ohio, then beaten, sexually assaulted, and strangled to death. Her body was discovered in a field two days later, but her killer was never found. Now, nearly four decades later, authorities say they have...
40 Years After Calif.
Apr 28, 2020 10:15 AM CDT
Neighbor Arrested 40 Years After Calif. Woman's Murder
Philip Wilson, 71, identified via familial DNA, accused of killing 20-year-old Robin Brooks
- Since 1980, Maria Arrick has hoped her sister's killer would be caught. A day before the 40th anniversary of Robin Brooks' rape and murder, police in Sacramento, Calif., apparently found their man. Brooks' 71-year-old former neighbor, Philip Wilson, was arrested at his Sacramento home on Thursday and charged with...
1963 Killing May Be Solved—
but Suspect May Not Be Alive
Apr 27, 2020 4:03 AM CDT
1963 Killing May Be Solved— but Suspect May Not Be Alive
Authorities have been searching for months with no luck
- Margaret "Peggy" Beck was serving as a counselor for the first time at a Girl Scout camp in Colorado on the night of Aug. 18, 1963, when her tent mate got sick and went to the infirmary for the rest of the evening. So Beck, 16, was alone in...
For Gene Editing,
a 'New Frontier'
Mar 4, 2020 8:34 AM CST
For Gene Editing, a 'New Frontier'
If deemed safe, scientists hope for widespread use of CRISPR procedure inside patients' bodies
- "We literally have the potential to take people who are essentially blind and make them see." Those are the attention-grabbing words of Charles Albright, the chief scientific officer at Editas Medicine, which is sponsoring a study to wield DNA technology in a novel way: edit genes using the...
Judge Orders Subway to Pay
Big Bucks in Chicken Lawsuit
Mar 1, 2020 1:00 PM CST
Judge Orders Subway to Pay Big Bucks in Chicken Lawsuit
But it's unclear whether the chain did anything wrong
- A CBC report on Subway's chicken sandwiches is going to cost the chain fairly big bucks—regardless of the report's accuracy, the CBC reports. A judge has ordered Subway to reimburse the CBC $500,000 in legal costs after the chain tried to sue over the eye-grabbing 2017...
How 29-Year-Old's Arrest Led
to Alleged 'Pillowcase Rapist'
Jan 24, 2020 9:05 AM CST
How 29-Year-Old's Arrest Led to Alleged 'Pillowcase Rapist'
Authorities believe Robert Eugene Koehler was building a 'dungeon' under his Florida home
- More details are trickling out on a Florida man police believe raped more than 40 women in the Miami area over a five-year stretch in the '80s. In a Thursday presser, Miami-Dade State Attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle said the DNA of registered sex offender Robert Eugene Koehler has been...
40 Years Later,
Found in Cave
Jan 1, 2020 9:35 AM CST
40 Years Later, Headless Torso Found in Cave Identified
It took a lot of work to finally ID the body as that of an outlaw who killed his wife in Idaho
- The headless torso that was found in a remote Idaho cave 40 years ago has finally been identified as belonging to an outlaw who killed his wife with an ax and was last seen after escaping from jail in 1916, the AP reports. Clark County Sheriff Bart May said Tuesday...
Pizza Hut's Door
Meets Robber's Face
Dec 20, 2019 11:29 AM CST
Pizza Hut's Door Meets Robber's Face
That face-plant proved key in helping police nab a suspect in New Mexico
- A locked door in a New Mexico Pizza Hut may have helped bust an armed robber who pulled off two crimes in one day back in June. The
Las Cruces Sun-News
has video from June 25, showing a man trying to run out of the Las Cruces restaurant about 10:...
For 12 Years, She Was
Known Only as Lavender Doe
in case you missed it
Nov 24, 2019 2:00 PM CST
For 12 Years, She Was Known Only as Lavender Doe
Then volunteers dug into her DNA
- She was given the name "Lavender Doe" by a stranger—a commenter on a true-crimes website that recounted the slim details of the young woman's case. She was found dead, her body on fire, on Oct. 29, 2006, near Longview, Texas. She was at most 25, blond, and...
Cops: Serial Rapists Who Struck
in 1990s Found With Genealogy
Nov 20, 2019 10:50 AM CST
Cops: Serial Rapists Who Struck in 1990s Found With Genealogy
Including the so-called 'Potomac River Rapist'
- Police say two serial rapists have been caught—one in California and one in South Carolina—thanks to genetic genealogy. Giles Daniel Warrick, accused of sexually assaulting 10 women and killing one in Washington, DC, and Maryland in the 1990s, was arrested last week in Conway, SC, after authorities connected...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Investigation Lobs Disturbing Allegations Against Candy Giant
A 'Familiar Maternal Face on TV' Dead at 93
Morgan Names Royals Who Made Alleged Racist Comments
Couple's NC Wyeth Windfall Collapses
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.