Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Woman Sues After Cops Use
Rape Kit DNA to Arrest Her
Sep 13, 2022 12:37 PM CDT
Woman Sues After Cops Use Rape Kit DNA to Arrest Her
She reported sexual assault in 2016, was arrested in theft case in 2021
- A woman whose own rape kit was used against her by police now wants some payback. The woman identified only as Jane Doe has sued the city of San Francisco for unspecified damages over the case that made national headlines, reports BuzzFeed . After the woman reported a sexual assault to...
Unknown Soldier Is
Unknown No More
Jun 22, 2022 1:01 PM CDT
Unknown Soldier Is Unknown No More
British soldier who died in WWI is identified via DNA as 2nd Lt. Osmund Bartle Wordsworth
- For more than a century, the British soldier lay in an anonymous grave, one of so many unidentified victims buried beneath the killing fields of World War I. But now, his headstone finally bears a name: 2nd Lt. Osmund Bartle Wordsworth—a great-great-nephew of English poet William Wordsworth—who was...
Quest to Free Inmate With DNA
Test Made Things Worse
Jun 17, 2022 5:10 PM CDT
Quest to Free Inmate With DNA Test Made Things Worse
New evidence implicates him in another murder he'd been acquitted of 25 years ago
- DNA evidence has increasingly been used to help free persons wrongly convicted of crimes they didn't commit. In a three-decade-old case out of Florida, however, authorities say it did just the opposite and proved that a man acquitted of murder was actually the killer all along. Per the
Solves Pompeii Mystery
May 27, 2022 8:40 AM CDT
DNA Sequencing Solves Pompeii Mystery
Man who didn't try to flee had spinal condition, researchers say
- Scientists say they have fully sequenced the DNA of a Mount Vesuvius victim for the first time—and the genetic information explains why the Pompeii resident didn't flee the eruption nearly 2,000 years ago. According to research published in the journal
, the man's DNA sequence...
30 Years Later,
in Ditch Has
Apr 14, 2022 10:10 AM CDT
30 Years Later, Female Found in Ditch Has a Name
Margaret Ann Sniegowski Jr., 17, IDed thanks to DNA evidence; now it's a homicide investigation
- For three decades, the identity of a body found along an Indiana highway remained unknown, a cold case that stumped Boone County officials. Now, a name to that body, thanks to a curious sister and advances in genetic genealogy. FOX59 details the case of 17-year-old Ohioan Margaret Ann Sniegowski Jr....
Sources: Wildly Long Table for
Putin, Macron Was No Accident
Feb 11, 2022 7:20 AM CST
Sources: Wildly Long Table for Putin, Macron Was No Accident
Members of French leader's team say he feared DNA being swiped, wouldn't take COVID test
- The Citizen Kane-like table that Emmanuel Macron and Vladimir Putin sat at earlier this week during their talks on the Russia-Ukraine standoff wasn't just symbolic. Two members of the French leader's team tell Reuters that Macron was told he had to take a Russian COVID test before meeting...
Scientists Are Vacuuming
DNA Out of Thin Air
Jan 13, 2022 11:29 AM CST
Scientists Are Vacuuming DNA Out of Thin Air
Researcher envisions worldwide monitoring system for wildlife using environmental DNA
- More than a decade ago, research began to describe the detection of DNA released by organisms into their environments. For the last several years, this environmental DNA has allowed scientists, including those at the US Geological Survey , to get a handle on the distribution and abundance of small, rare, or...
40 Years After Couple's Murder,
Their Baby Is Still Missing
Jan 12, 2022 10:40 AM CST
40 Years After Couple's Murder, Their Baby Is Still Missing
Female named Hollie Marie by her parents would be closing in on 42 now
- Harold Dean Clouse gathered up his wife, Tina Gail Linn, and new baby, Hollie Marie, and moved from Florida to Texas, with a promise of a well-paying job as a carpenter. "I can take better care of Tina and the baby," Clouse's mother recalls him saying. Instead,...
For the First Time, Tree DNA
Leads to a Conviction
Nov 10, 2021 6:25 PM CST
For the First Time, Tree DNA Leads to a Conviction
Timber poacher Justin Wilke gets 20 months
- DNA evidence is now solving crimes against trees as well as crimes against people. Justin Andrew Wilke, ringleader of a group of timber poachers that operated in Washington state's Olympic National Forest, was sentenced to 20 months in federal prison earlier this week after the first federal trial to...
DNA on Beer Cans Helps
Solve 25-Year-Old Murder
Nov 9, 2021 9:50 AM CST
DNA on Beer Cans Helps Solve 25-Year-Old Murder
Kenneth Stough Jr. is accused of killing a convenience store manager in Orlando in 1996
- A discarded Budweiser beer can has led authorities to a man accused of stabbing a convenience store manager 73 times in 1996. Terrence Paquette, 31, was preparing to open the Lil' Champ Food Store in Orlando, Fla., before 6am on Feb. 3, 1996, when he was gruesomely attacked, per KIRO...
Sitting Bull's Closest
Living Relative Is Found
Oct 28, 2021 2:32 AM CDT
Sitting Bull's Closest Living Relative Is Found
Ernie LaPointe's longstanding claim of lineage has been confirmed
- The great-grandson of the iconic Native American chief Sitting Bull is 73 years old and living in South Dakota. DNA analysis has confirmed that the chief, whose Lakota name was Tatanka-Iyotanka, is the great-grandfather of Ernie LaPointe, the
reports. LaPointe had long claimed he and his sisters are Sitting...
The Paintings Remain Missing,
but Authorities Say There's DNA
Sep 22, 2021 1:00 PM CDT
The Paintings Remain Missing, but Authorities Say There's DNA
Nils M has been charged in the Netherlands
- His resume fits: a Dutch man identified as Nils M spent five years behind bars in connection with the 2012 theft of a 17th-century church vessel from a museum whose doors he blasted open. Prosecutors allege he struck again following his release. The 59-year-old was arrested in April and stands...
DNA Evidence Solves Crime,
This Time With a Twist
in case you missed it
Jul 17, 2021 8:31 AM CDT
DNA Evidence Solves Crime, This Time With a Twist
For the first time, tree DNA was used in a federal criminal trial
- That prosecutors used DNA evidence to convict a criminal isn't too surprising. But in this case—a first—the DNA came from a tree, reports the
. A jury in Tacoma, Wash., convicted 39-year-old Justin Wilke last week of illegal tree harvesting in Olympic National Forest, per the...
Mom Arrested in Newborn's
Death, 14 Years Later
Jul 8, 2021 9:40 AM CDT
Mom Arrested in Newborn's Death, 14 Years Later
Another cold case helped along by DNA evidence in 2007 homicide in Pennsylvania
- "Baby Mary Anne" would have been 14 this year, had she not been killed as a newborn and dumped in a trash bin at a Pennsylvania YMCA. Now, justice may be around the corner, thanks to DNA evidence that has helped along yet another cold case. PennLive.com reports...
14 Da Vinci Descendants
Jul 6, 2021 10:45 AM CDT
14 Da Vinci Descendants Are Uncovered
New study traces his family tree through 21 generations
- Leonardo da Vinci didn't have any children of his own, but a comprehensive investigation of his family history has turned up 14 living male relatives, reports ZME Science . The study in the
journal has increased the previous estimate of living relatives from two and might shed light...
Jun 10, 2021 10:15 AM CDT
DNA Cracks 65-Year-Old 'Lovers' Lane' Double Murder
The presumed killer, Montana native Kenneth Gould, is dead
- The children of a Montana native who died almost a decade and a half ago have learned the man with no known criminal history was in fact a double murderer. It wasn't a skeleton in the closet, but rather genetic genealogy that supplied the shock. Since 1956, detectives have...
Member of Doomed 1845
Arctic Expedition Is Identified
May 6, 2021 8:57 AM CDT
Member of Doomed 1845 Arctic Expedition Is Identified
John Gregory left a wife and kids at home
- It was his very first time at sea. It did not go well. Warrant Officer John Gregory is the first member of the doomed 1845 expedition in search of the fabled Northwest Passage to the East to be identified by DNA. All 129 explorers perished, most on King William Island...
Identical Twins Have
Telltale Genetic Differences
Jan 7, 2021 4:40 PM CST
Identical Twins Have Telltale Genetic Differences
Study of sequenced DNA reveals genetic differences
- If you’re an identical twin who’s always resisted being called a clone of your sibling, scientists say you have a point. Identical twins are not exactly genetically the same, new research shows, per the AP . Scientists in Iceland sequenced DNA from 387 pairs of identical twins—those derived...
DNA Triggers Arrest in
35-Year-Old Cold Case
Sep 12, 2020 4:30 PM CDT
DNA Triggers Arrest in 35-Year-Old Cold Case
Officials and family hold an emotional press conference in Rochester
- Wendy Jerome was brutally raped, killed, and left by a dumpster 35 years ago—a crime officials say has finally been solved with DNA testing, CNN reports. The news emerged at an emotional press conference Friday in Rochester, New York. "I never thought I would see this day, and...
DNA Slavery Study
Jul 24, 2020 12:20 PM CDT
DNA Slavery Study Yields Surprises
More enslaved people came to the US from Nigeria than previously thought, researchers say
- Using historical records has been the most traditional way to shed light on the dark stain of slavery in the United States. Now, per new research that the
calls "the largest DNA study to examine African ancestry in the Americas," gene analysis is helping put more pieces...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Philadelphia Cuts Down Brewery's Entire Hop Crop
Captain Who Fatally Cut Parasail Line Arrested
US Has Been Quietly Warning Russia Not to Go Nuclear
Dow Closes at New Low for 2022
Lawyer: School Officials Gave Shooter Bag Holding His Gun
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.