Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
As Glacier Ice Melted,
Another Grisly Find
Jul 29, 2023 2:40 PM CDT
As Glacier Ice Melted, Another Grisly Find
Cops say body found near Matterhorn is German mountaineer who went missing 37 years ago
- DNA tests have confirmed that the body recently found on a glacier southeast of the famed Matterhorn peak is that of a German mountaineer who disappeared 37 years ago, police in southwestern Switzerland said Thursday. Increasing glacier melt, which many scientists blame on global warming, has spurred a recent increase...
Court Filing Reveals DNA
Evidence Against Kohberger
Jun 22, 2023 5:35 AM CDT
Court Filing Reveals DNA Evidence Against Kohberger
DNA on knife sheath a 'statistical match' to suspect
- DNA on a knife sheath found at the home where four University of Idaho students were stabbed to death last fall is a "statistical match" to that collected from suspect Bryan Kohberger, prosecutors disclosed in a court filing. In the June 16 filing, prosecutors said the STR profile, a...
in 1999 Deaths
of Teenage Girls
Jun 15, 2023 5:55 PM CDT
Killer Receives Life Sentence in 1999 Deaths of Teenage Girls
DNA testing tied Coley McCraney to the slayings
- An Alabama judge sentenced a man to life imprisonment without possibility of parole on Thursday, bringing a close to the case of the slayings of two teenage girls in 1999. Coley McCraney was convicted of capital murder in April by a jury that decided the sentence, which the judge was...
Amateur Sleuth Sues FBI
Over DB Cooper's Clip-On Tie
Mar 9, 2023 7:05 PM CST
Amateur Sleuth Sues FBI Over DB Cooper's Clip-On Tie
Eric Ulis wants to find DNA, then enter it in ancestry databases
- Eric Ulis said last fall that he thinks he knows the identity of DB Cooper, as the man who jumped out of a plane with $200,000 after a 1971 skyjacking is known, but he needs the FBI's cooperation to prove it. Ulis sued the FBI on Wednesday in...
Sweet Potato Leads to Arrest
in Massachusetts Cold Case
Mar 1, 2023 11:10 AM CST
Sweet Potato Leads to Arrest in Massachusetts Cold Case
Officials were able to match DNA from the root vegetable left at the scene with suspect
- After Todd Lampley was shot in the bedroom of a Massachusetts home on February 27, 2011, police recovered evidence outside the bedroom window: shell casings, a cellphone, and a sweet potato. Twelve years later, there's finally an arrest in the case, and authorities say DNA left on that sweet...
A 52-Year-Old Piece of
Evidence Leads to Killer
Feb 22, 2023 12:00 PM CST
A 52-Year-Old Piece of Evidence Leads to Killer
Vermont police say Rita Curran was killed by her upstairs neighbor
- A cigarette butt was found next to 24-year-old Rita Curran's body in 1971. Some 52 years later, it would unmask her killer. The
reports that officials in Burlington, Vermont, on Tuesday said genetic genealogy has identified the late William DeRoos as the killer. He and his then-wife...
Study 'Opens Door Into a Past
That Has Basically Been Lost'
Dec 7, 2022 2:20 PM CST
Study 'Opens Door Into a Past That Has Basically Been Lost'
Oldest DNA tells us what life once occupied Greenland
- Scientists discovered the oldest known DNA and used it to reveal what life was like 2 million years ago in the northern tip of Greenland. Today, it’s a barren Arctic desert, but back then it was a lush landscape of trees and vegetation with an array of animals, even...
One of US' Oldest Kidnapping
Cases Has a Surprise Ending
Nov 28, 2022 9:10 AM CST
One of US' Oldest Kidnapping Cases Has a Surprise Ending
Melissa Highsmith, abducted as a baby in 1971, meets parents, siblings for first time
- Last month, Jeff Highsmith vowed to not give up looking for his sister, Melissa Highsmith, who was kidnapped as a baby in Fort Worth, Texas, more than 50 years ago. "I have to try," he said of his recently ramped-up efforts to find his older sibling, spurred by...
Double Killer's Mistake:
He Spit on a Sidewalk
Nov 1, 2022 10:35 AM CDT
Double Killer's Mistake: He Spit on a Sidewalk
Geovanni Borjas pleads no contest to raping, killing Michelle Lozano and Bree'Anna Guzman
Walking along a California street, Geovanni Borjas did the seemingly innocuous: He spit on a sidewalk. But it wasn't innocuous at all for the killer, whose spit matched DNA on two murder victims. On Monday, the 38-year-old pleaded no contest to the first-degree murders and forcible rapes of...
Texas Schools Sending Home
'Incredibly Triggering' DNA Kits
Oct 19, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
Texas Schools Sending Home 'Incredibly Triggering' DNA Kits
The kits, intended to help locate a missing child, have taken on a macabre meaning after Uvalde
- Texas public schools are sending students home with DNA kits meant to help identify them in an emergency—a move parents say is a horrifying reminder of inaction on gun violence in the wake of the shooting at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde. Parents aren't required to use the...
Woman Sues After Cops Use
Rape Kit DNA to Arrest Her
Sep 13, 2022 12:37 PM CDT
Woman Sues After Cops Use Rape Kit DNA to Arrest Her
She reported sexual assault in 2016, was arrested in theft case in 2021
- A woman whose own rape kit was used against her by police now wants some payback. The woman identified only as Jane Doe has sued the city of San Francisco for unspecified damages over the case that made national headlines, reports BuzzFeed . After the woman reported a sexual assault to...
Unknown Soldier Is
Unknown No More
Jun 22, 2022 1:01 PM CDT
Unknown Soldier Is Unknown No More
British soldier who died in WWI is identified via DNA as 2nd Lt. Osmund Bartle Wordsworth
- For more than a century, the British soldier lay in an anonymous grave, one of so many unidentified victims buried beneath the killing fields of World War I. But now, his headstone finally bears a name: 2nd Lt. Osmund Bartle Wordsworth—a great-great-nephew of English poet William Wordsworth—who was...
Quest to Free Inmate With DNA
Test Made Things Worse
Jun 17, 2022 5:10 PM CDT
Quest to Free Inmate With DNA Test Made Things Worse
New evidence implicates him in another murder he'd been acquitted of 25 years ago
- DNA evidence has increasingly been used to help free persons wrongly convicted of crimes they didn't commit. In a three-decade-old case out of Florida, however, authorities say it did just the opposite and proved that a man acquitted of murder was actually the killer all along. Per the
Solves Pompeii Mystery
May 27, 2022 8:40 AM CDT
DNA Sequencing Solves Pompeii Mystery
Man who didn't try to flee had spinal condition, researchers say
- Scientists say they have fully sequenced the DNA of a Mount Vesuvius victim for the first time—and the genetic information explains why the Pompeii resident didn't flee the eruption nearly 2,000 years ago. According to research published in the journal
, the man's DNA sequence...
30 Years Later,
in Ditch Has
Apr 14, 2022 10:10 AM CDT
30 Years Later, Female Found in Ditch Has a Name
Margaret Ann Sniegowski Jr., 17, IDed thanks to DNA evidence; now it's a homicide investigation
- For three decades, the identity of a body found along an Indiana highway remained unknown, a cold case that stumped Boone County officials. Now, a name to that body, thanks to a curious sister and advances in genetic genealogy. FOX59 details the case of 17-year-old Ohioan Margaret Ann Sniegowski Jr....
Sources: Wildly Long Table for
Putin, Macron Was No Accident
Feb 11, 2022 7:20 AM CST
Sources: Wildly Long Table for Putin, Macron Was No Accident
Members of French leader's team say he feared DNA being swiped, wouldn't take COVID test
- The Citizen Kane-like table that Emmanuel Macron and Vladimir Putin sat at earlier this week during their talks on the Russia-Ukraine standoff wasn't just symbolic. Two members of the French leader's team tell Reuters that Macron was told he had to take a Russian COVID test before meeting...
Scientists Are Vacuuming
DNA Out of Thin Air
Jan 13, 2022 11:29 AM CST
Scientists Are Vacuuming DNA Out of Thin Air
Researcher envisions worldwide monitoring system for wildlife using environmental DNA
- More than a decade ago, research began to describe the detection of DNA released by organisms into their environments. For the last several years, this environmental DNA has allowed scientists, including those at the US Geological Survey , to get a handle on the distribution and abundance of small, rare, or...
40 Years After Couple's Murder,
Their Baby Is Still Missing
Jan 12, 2022 10:40 AM CST
40 Years After Couple's Murder, Their Baby Is Still Missing
Female named Hollie Marie by her parents would be closing in on 42 now
- Harold Dean Clouse gathered up his wife, Tina Gail Linn, and new baby, Hollie Marie, and moved from Florida to Texas, with a promise of a well-paying job as a carpenter. "I can take better care of Tina and the baby," Clouse's mother recalls him saying. Instead,...
For the First Time, Tree DNA
Leads to a Conviction
Nov 10, 2021 6:25 PM CST
For the First Time, Tree DNA Leads to a Conviction
Timber poacher Justin Wilke gets 20 months
- DNA evidence is now solving crimes against trees as well as crimes against people. Justin Andrew Wilke, ringleader of a group of timber poachers that operated in Washington state's Olympic National Forest, was sentenced to 20 months in federal prison earlier this week after the first federal trial to...
DNA on Beer Cans Helps
Solve 25-Year-Old Murder
Nov 9, 2021 9:50 AM CST
DNA on Beer Cans Helps Solve 25-Year-Old Murder
Kenneth Stough Jr. is accused of killing a convenience store manager in Orlando in 1996
- A discarded Budweiser beer can has led authorities to a man accused of stabbing a convenience store manager 73 times in 1996. Terrence Paquette, 31, was preparing to open the Lil' Champ Food Store in Orlando, Fla., before 6am on Feb. 3, 1996, when he was gruesomely attacked, per KIRO...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Law Would Jail Parents Whose Children Aren't Vaccinated
Incurable Disease Plaguing Young Stone Cutters
Congressman Pulled Fire Alarm Amid Capitol Hill Scramble
No Shutdown: Congress' Surprise Deal Is Approved
Costco's Newest Product Keeps Selling Out in Just 'Hours'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.