Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Wreck of Ship That Tried
to Warn the Titanic Is Found
Sep 29, 2022 12:08 PM CDT
Wreck of Ship That Tried to Warn the Titanic Is Found
SS Mesaba was hit by a German torpedo in the Irish Sea years later
- The Titanic has long slumbered on the seabed—as has the ship that sent the Titanic an iceberg warning hours before the Titanic fatefully hit that very thing in 1912. Now, researchers have identified the resting spot of the SS Mesaba, which was hit by a German torpedo in the...
Look at Titanic
Sep 6, 2022 7:11 AM CDT
Footage Offers 'Unprecedented' Look at Titanic
First 8K video of shipwreck emerges; meanwhile, tourists are heading down to see it for $250K a pop
- An underwater tourism company has emerged with new footage of the wreckage of the RMS Titanic, and it's jaw-dropping in its clarity—the highest-quality recording of the ship since it sank during its 1912 maiden voyage. The haunting one-minute clip released to the public by OceanGate Expeditions, which has...
'Is There in the Tree Rings'
Aug 31, 2022 12:55 PM CDT
Shipwreck's Story 'Is There in the Tree Rings'
Tree ring data suggests it's the Dolphin, which was lost in 1859
- "For me, the story is there in the tree rings." That's the takeaway of a dendrochronologist—an expert in dating events and artifacts from tree rings—who was part of a team that used tree ring data from a shipwreck found in Argentina in 2004 to determine...
First US Navy Destroyer
Sunk by Enemy Fire Is Found
Aug 21, 2022 3:45 PM CDT
First US Navy Destroyer Sunk by Enemy Fire Is Found
Tales of kindness, bravery surround 1917 sinking of USS Jacob Jones
- The first US Navy destroyer to be sunk by enemy fire—specifically a torpedo shot from a German submarine—has been discovered more than a century after ending up in a watery grave. The USS Jacob Jones was sent to the submarine-infested waters around the UK to help safeguard supply...
Captain Cook's Endeavour
Is Being Wrecked Again
Aug 15, 2022 3:00 AM CDT
Captain Cook's Endeavour Is Being Wrecked Again
This time apparently by shipworms, the so-called 'termites of the ocean'
- The shipwreck in Rhode Island's Newport Harbor that is believed by many to be that of Captain Cook's HMB Endeavour is reportedly in rough shape. Marine biologist Reuben Shipway, who is an expert on shipworms (the so-called "termites of the ocean"), tells the
After 366 Years
on Sea Floor
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Aug 6, 2022 6:00 AM CDT
Jewels, Gold Recovered After 366 Years on Sea Floor
The Nuestra Señora de las Maravillas had already been salvaged many times
- The Nuestra Señora de las Maravillas (Our Lady of Wonders) sank in the Bahamas in 1656, laden with gold and jewels. The Spanish shipwreck had already been salvaged many times in the following centuries, and yet another expedition was recently launched—and turned out to be very worthwhile, the...
in case you missed it
Jun 26, 2022 7:35 AM CDT
Divers Make Herculean Find at Antikythera Wreck
Once giant boulders were removed, head of Hercules statue found in 1900 emerged
- Marine archaeologists have better access to the world's richest ancient shipwreck after boulders were lifted from the Roman-era Antikythera wreck that yielded the famous Antikythera Mechanism calculator, revealing new treasures within. In addition to human teeth, the lead weight for an anchor, iron nails, and the base of a...
Texas Explorer Finds
the Deepest Shipwreck Ever
Jun 25, 2022 10:00 AM CDT
Texas Explorer Finds the Deepest Shipwreck Ever
USS Samuel B. Roberts went down in WWII fighting Japanese warships in Philippine Sea
- In its determined last stand in October 1944, the Sammy B took on the Japanese during a World War II battle that eventually sent it down to the ocean floor. The US Navy destroyer (official name: the USS Samuel B. Roberts) remained lost to humankind for nearly 80 more years—...
May Have Inspired
Jun 17, 2022 10:38 AM CDT
Wreck That May Have Inspired
Discovery of hull timbers in Oregon sea caves echoes Spielberg's cult classic
- Remains of a legendary 17th-century shipwreck that reportedly inspired the cult classic
have been found—though not by a band of hilarious misfits. Pieces of the hull of the Spanish galleon
Santo Cristo de Burgos
were raised from sea caves in a state-protected area of Manzanita, Oregon, this...
It Sank in 1682. Its Discovery
Has Been a Secret for 15 Years
Jun 10, 2022 12:45 PM CDT
It Sank in 1682. Its Discovery Has Been a Secret for 15 Years
Gloucester was carrying the future King James II when it met its demise off coast of England
- A royal shipwreck discovered off the coast of England is being called "the single most significant historic maritime discovery" for the country in four decades. Found by amateur divers in 2007 but only revealed this week, the wreck of the Gloucester—which ran aground and sank on May 6,...
Scientists Hunt for Remains
of Colonists' Act of Rebellion
May 11, 2022 1:30 PM CDT
Scientists Hunt for Remains of Colonists' Act of Rebellion
The HMS Gaspee was burned off Rhode Island in 1772
- A new effort is underway to find the remains of a British ship that Rhode Island colonists burned 250 years ago, marine archaeologists and state officials announced Tuesday. The June 10, 1772, burning of the HMS Gaspee was an an act of rebellion that some proud Rhode Islanders maintain was...
Only Whaler Known to Go Down
in Gulf Found 190 Years Later
Mar 23, 2022 2:31 PM CDT
Only Whaler Known to Go Down in Gulf Found 190 Years Later
Find sheds light on 'how people of color succeeded as captains and crew members'
- Roughly 15 years before Herman Melville introduced the world to Moby Dick, a whaling ship from Massachusetts sank near the mouth of the Mississippi River. Nearly 190 years later, experts say, it’s still the only whaler known to have gone down in the Gulf of Mexico, where the threat...
'We Have Made Polar History':
The Endurance Is Found
Mar 9, 2022 8:33 AM CST
'We Have Made Polar History': The Endurance Is Found
Incredibly well-preserved shipwreck discovered some 10K feet down in Weddell Sea
- Ernest Shackleton wrote that his ship the Endurance sank in "the worst portion of the worst sea" in 1915. Now, more than a century later, its wreckage has been found some four miles from where the ship's captain believed it went down. "We have made polar history...
'Holy Grail' of Shipwrecks Is
Caked in Gold and Controversy
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Feb 19, 2022 4:30 PM CST
'Holy Grail' of Shipwrecks Is Caked in Gold and Controversy
Colombia moves toward excavation of the San Jose despite disputed claim of ownership
- Colombia's government is taking steps to recover the so-called "holy grail" of Spanish colonial shipwrecks—thought to hold up to $20 billion worth of gold, silver, and precious stones—from its waters and at the same time taking heat from others with claims to the centuries-old treasure. As...
Search Is On for the
'Most Unreachable Wreck'
Feb 6, 2022 10:40 AM CST
Search Is On for the 'Most Unreachable Wreck'
Team heads to Weddell Sea to find Ernest Shackleton's 'Endurance'
- Ernest Shackleton set off for Antarctica in 1914, hoping to be the first person to cross the frozen continent . He didn't even get to try. In early 1915, his ship
became stuck in pack ice in the Weddell Sea, about 100 miles from Vahsel Bay, before sinking to...
May Be Found
Feb 3, 2022 7:45 AM CST
Captain Cook's Legendary Ship May Be Found
Researchers bicker over confirmation of wreck off Rhode Island
- The long-lost
, which Capt. James Cook used to sail the South Pacific while claiming New Zealand and Australia for Great Britain in 1770, has reportedly been found. Kevin Sumption, director of the Australian National Maritime Museum, announced Thursday that "the final resting place of one of the most...
for Wreck Find Life
6 Miles Below Sea
in case you missed it
Jan 15, 2022 6:30 AM CST
Scientists Looking for Wreck Find Life 6 Miles Below Sea
Search for USS Johnston turns up deepest squid and jellyfish ever found
- A dive last year to the depths of the Philippine Sea not only revealed a closer look at the deepest shipwreck ever , but signs of life few suspected to be hiding up to 6 miles beneath the waves. Days before researchers came across the presumed wreckage of the USS Johnston,...
A 'Stunning Revelation'
About Wrecked Slave Ship
Dec 22, 2021 12:26 PM CST
A 'Stunning Revelation' About Wrecked Slave Ship
Clotilda has been buried for decades in a section of river that hasn't been dredged
- Researchers studying the wreckage of the last US slave ship , buried in mud on the Alabama coast since it was scuttled in 1860, have made the surprising discovery that most of the wooden schooner remains intact, including the pen that was used to imprison African captives during the brutal journey...
Belonged to One of
the First Christians
Dec 22, 2021 10:10 AM CST
Shipwreck Ring Belonged to One of the First Christians
Ring inscribed with 'Good Shepherd' among Roman-era treasures found off Israel
- A gold ring belonging to one of the first Christians is among the treasures pulled from a Roman-era shipwreck off Israel, researchers say. Also discovered in the wreck off the ancient port of Caesarea is a bronze eagle figurine, bells meant to keep evil spirits at bay, various pottery, and...
2 Years Later, a
Task Is Complete
Oct 27, 2021 11:06 AM CDT
2 Years Later, a Most 'Complicated' Task Is Complete
Coast Guard dragged away final section of Golden Ray cargo ship following 2019 capsizing
What they thought might take months actually took years—more than two, to be exact—but the Golden Ray cargo ship's last section was on Monday yanked out of St. Simons Sound, where it overturned off the coast of Georgia in September 2019. "We have completed the...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Boomers Throw a Wrench Into Housing Market
The Opioid Crisis Is Crossing Over to Something Darker
Dolly Parton's Sister Has a NSFW Message for Critics
Mother of Burlington Suspect: He Thinks 'World Is a Mess'
Here's Merriam-Webster's Word of the Year for 2023
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.