Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Jun 22, 2022 11:05 AM CDT
Divers Make Herculean Find at Antikythera Wreck
Once giant boulders were removed, head of Hercules statue found in 1900 emerged
- Marine archaeologists have better access to the world's richest ancient shipwreck after boulders were lifted from the Roman-era Antikythera wreck that yielded the famous Antikythera Mechanism calculator, revealing new treasures within. In addition to human teeth, the lead weight for an anchor, iron nails, and the base of a...
May Have Inspired
Jun 17, 2022 10:38 AM CDT
Wreck That May Have Inspired
Discovery of hull timbers in Oregon sea caves echoes Spielberg's cult classic
- Remains of a legendary 17th-century shipwreck that reportedly inspired the cult classic
have been found—though not by a band of hilarious misfits. Pieces of the hull of the Spanish galleon
Santo Cristo de Burgos
were raised from sea caves in a state-protected area of Manzanita, Oregon, this...
It Sank in 1682. Its Discovery
Has Been a Secret for 15 Years
Jun 10, 2022 12:45 PM CDT
It Sank in 1682. Its Discovery Has Been a Secret for 15 Years
Gloucester was carrying the future King James II when it met its demise off coast of England
- A royal shipwreck discovered off the coast of England is being called "the single most significant historic maritime discovery" for the country in four decades. Found by amateur divers in 2007 but only revealed this week, the wreck of the Gloucester—which ran aground and sank on May 6,...
Scientists Hunt for Remains
of Colonists' Act of Rebellion
May 11, 2022 1:30 PM CDT
Scientists Hunt for Remains of Colonists' Act of Rebellion
The HMS Gaspee was burned off Rhode Island in 1772
- A new effort is underway to find the remains of a British ship that Rhode Island colonists burned 250 years ago, marine archaeologists and state officials announced Tuesday. The June 10, 1772, burning of the HMS Gaspee was an an act of rebellion that some proud Rhode Islanders maintain was...
Only Whaler Known to Go Down
in Gulf Found 190 Years Later
Mar 23, 2022 2:31 PM CDT
Only Whaler Known to Go Down in Gulf Found 190 Years Later
Find sheds light on 'how people of color succeeded as captains and crew members'
- Roughly 15 years before Herman Melville introduced the world to Moby Dick, a whaling ship from Massachusetts sank near the mouth of the Mississippi River. Nearly 190 years later, experts say, it’s still the only whaler known to have gone down in the Gulf of Mexico, where the threat...
'We Have Made Polar History':
The Endurance Is Found
Mar 9, 2022 8:33 AM CST
'We Have Made Polar History': The Endurance Is Found
Incredibly well-preserved shipwreck discovered some 10K feet down in Weddell Sea
- Ernest Shackleton wrote that his ship the Endurance sank in "the worst portion of the worst sea" in 1915. Now, more than a century later, its wreckage has been found some four miles from where the ship's captain believed it went down. "We have made polar history...
'Holy Grail' of Shipwrecks Is
Caked in Gold and Controversy
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Feb 19, 2022 4:30 PM CST
'Holy Grail' of Shipwrecks Is Caked in Gold and Controversy
Colombia moves toward excavation of the San Jose despite disputed claim of ownership
- Colombia's government is taking steps to recover the so-called "holy grail" of Spanish colonial shipwrecks—thought to hold up to $20 billion worth of gold, silver, and precious stones—from its waters and at the same time taking heat from others with claims to the centuries-old treasure. As...
Search Is On for the
'Most Unreachable Wreck'
Feb 6, 2022 10:40 AM CST
Search Is On for the 'Most Unreachable Wreck'
Team heads to Weddell Sea to find Ernest Shackleton's 'Endurance'
- Ernest Shackleton set off for Antarctica in 1914, hoping to be the first person to cross the frozen continent . He didn't even get to try. In early 1915, his ship
became stuck in pack ice in the Weddell Sea, about 100 miles from Vahsel Bay, before sinking to...
May Be Found
Feb 3, 2022 7:45 AM CST
Captain Cook's Legendary Ship May Be Found
Researchers bicker over confirmation of wreck off Rhode Island
- The long-lost
, which Capt. James Cook used to sail the South Pacific while claiming New Zealand and Australia for Great Britain in 1770, has reportedly been found. Kevin Sumption, director of the Australian National Maritime Museum, announced Thursday that "the final resting place of one of the most...
for Wreck Find Life
6 Miles Below Sea
in case you missed it
Jan 15, 2022 6:30 AM CST
Scientists Looking for Wreck Find Life 6 Miles Below Sea
Search for USS Johnston turns up deepest squid and jellyfish ever found
- A dive last year to the depths of the Philippine Sea not only revealed a closer look at the deepest shipwreck ever , but signs of life few suspected to be hiding up to 6 miles beneath the waves. Days before researchers came across the presumed wreckage of the USS Johnston,...
A 'Stunning Revelation'
About Wrecked Slave Ship
Dec 22, 2021 12:26 PM CST
A 'Stunning Revelation' About Wrecked Slave Ship
Clotilda has been buried for decades in a section of river that hasn't been dredged
- Researchers studying the wreckage of the last US slave ship , buried in mud on the Alabama coast since it was scuttled in 1860, have made the surprising discovery that most of the wooden schooner remains intact, including the pen that was used to imprison African captives during the brutal journey...
Belonged to One of
the First Christians
Dec 22, 2021 10:10 AM CST
Shipwreck Ring Belonged to One of the First Christians
Ring inscribed with 'Good Shepherd' among Roman-era treasures found off Israel
- A gold ring belonging to one of the first Christians is among the treasures pulled from a Roman-era shipwreck off Israel, researchers say. Also discovered in the wreck off the ancient port of Caesarea is a bronze eagle figurine, bells meant to keep evil spirits at bay, various pottery, and...
2 Years Later, a
Task Is Complete
Oct 27, 2021 11:06 AM CDT
2 Years Later, a Most 'Complicated' Task Is Complete
Coast Guard dragged away final section of Golden Ray cargo ship following 2019 capsizing
What they thought might take months actually took years—more than two, to be exact—but the Golden Ray cargo ship's last section was on Monday yanked out of St. Simons Sound, where it overturned off the coast of Georgia in September 2019. "We have completed the...
Wreck of One of America's
Most Storied Ships Found
Oct 25, 2021 7:50 PM CDT
Wreck of One of America's Most Storied Ships Found
US Revenue Cutter Bear served in Alaskan waters for decades
- The wreckage of one of the most storied vessels in American history has been found in Canadian waters northeast of Boston, almost 60 years after it sank while being towed to Philadelphia. The US Revenue Cutter
, built as a sealing ship in Scotland in 1874, was bought by the...
Divers to Return to Site of
Ferry That 852 People Died On
Sep 8, 2021 2:52 PM CDT
Divers to Return to Site of Ferry That 852 People Died On
The M/S Estonia went down in 1994
- A privately-funded expedition, commissioned by relatives of the victims of the M/S Estonia ferry that sank in the Baltic Sea nearly 27 years ago, will dive into the vessel’s wreckage this month. It's the latest attempt to gain more insight into one of Europe’s worst peacetime maritime...
Massive Alaska Quake
May Have Caused
Sunken Ship's Leak
Aug 17, 2021 7:44 PM CDT
Massive Alaska Quake May Have Caused Sunken Ship's Leak
Fuel is spilling from 1989 shipwreck
- A ship that sank off Kodiak Island decades ago has started to leak diesel fuel, and a state official suspects ground shaking from last month’s massive magnitude 8.2 earthquake might be the reason. The vessel sank in 1989 in Womens Bay, "and it’s been resting there...
Bones of Legendary
Pirate May Have Been Found
in case you missed it
Feb 14, 2021 6:30 AM CST
Bones of Legendary Pirate May Have Been Found
Experts hope to identify the 'Robin Hood of the Sea'
- Experts may be close to identifying the remains of a legendary pirate whose treasure-filled ship went down off the coast of Cape Cod 300 years ago. At least six skeletons were pulled recently from the
and are now being examined by the man who in 1984 discovered the...
Feds Sued Over Titanic Plan.
It's COVID That Could Stop It
Jan 13, 2021 8:53 AM CST
Feds Sued Over Titanic Plan. It's COVID That Could Stop It
RMS Titanic Inc. planned to retrieve the ship's radio, says it has money issues
- Fallout from the coronavirus pandemic is threatening a company’s controversial plans to retrieve and exhibit the radio that had broadcast distress calls from the sinking Titanic, according to a court filing made by the firm. RMS Titanic Inc. said Monday that its revenues plummeted after coronavirus restrictions closed its...
Treasure Hunter Has Been in
Prison 5 Years for Contempt
Dec 14, 2020 2:34 PM CST
Treasure Hunter Has Been in Prison 5 Years for Contempt
Tommy Thompson still won't say where shipwreck gold is
- A former deep-sea treasure hunter is about to mark his fifth year in prison for refusing to disclose the whereabouts of 500 missing gold coins found in a historic shipwreck. Research scientist Tommy Thompson isn't incarcerated at a a federal prison in Milan, Michigan, for breaking the law. Instead,...
$125K Will Now
Get You to the Titanic
Nov 6, 2020 9:45 AM CST
$125K Will Now Get You to the Titanic
Expeditions open to tourists to launch in May
- A few dozen wealthy and adventurous tourists will be among the first in 15 years to set eyes on the world's most famous shipwreck. OceanGate Expeditions will be ferrying tourists to the wreck of the Titanic annually between May and September beginning next year—at a cost. For $125,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Roberts: The Court Didn't Need to Do This
In His Roe Opinion, Thomas Flags Same-Sex Marriage
Supreme Court Overturns Roe v. Wade
Rittenhouse to Pay for Lawsuits With Shooter Video Game
Cops: Vince Carter's Wife, Kids Hid During Burglary
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.