Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
2 Senators Go Back to Work
Apr 17, 2023 9:55 AM CDT
2 Senators Go Back to Work
Mitch McConnell, John Fetterman return to the Capitol after lengthy absences
- The Senate is a little more full on Monday, but just as red and blue: Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell and Pennsylvania Democrat John Fetterman will be back at work in the US Capitol on Monday, reports the AP . McConnell's return comes almost six weeks after a fall at...
Feinstein Asks to Be Replaced
on Senate Judiciary Committee
Apr 13, 2023 8:14 AM CDT
Feinstein Asks to Be Replaced on Senate Judiciary Committee
She says move would be temporary
- Sen. Dianne Feinstein has asked to be temporarily replaced on the Senate Judiciary Committee amid growing concern among Democrats that the 89-year-old will remain absent indefinitely without resigning. Feinstein, the oldest sitting US senator, was hospitalized with shingles in early March and her absence from the powerful committee has made...
Report: Dems Fear Feinstein
Won't Return to Senate
Apr 12, 2023 6:07 PM CDT
Report: Dems Fear Feinstein Won't Return to Senate
She hasn't been back since shingles diagnosis last month
- Sen. Dianne Feinstein hasn't returned to the Senate since she was hospitalized for shingles early last month and sources tell Politico that Democrats are starting to worry that the 89-year-old senator from California won't come back at all. Feinstein, the oldest sitting US senator, has been undergoing treatment...
Oldest Sitting Senator
Won't Run for Reelection
Feb 14, 2023 1:30 PM CST
Oldest Sitting Senator Won't Run for Reelection
Dianne Feinstein, 89, confirms the rumors
- Longtime Sen. Dianne Feinstein confirmed Tuesday what all of Washington already assumed—she won't be running for reelection, reports the
Los Angeles Times
. "I am announcing today I will not run for reelection in 2024, but intend to accomplish as much for California as I can through the...
Another Big Name Joins
Race for Feinstein's Seat
Jan 26, 2023 10:30 AM CST
Another Big Name Joins Race for Feinstein's Seat
Rep. Adam Schiff launches bid ahead of senator's expected retirement
- For the record, Dianne Feinstein has yet to announce that she won't run for reelection to the Senate. But that apparent technicality isn't stopping big Democratic political names in California from launching their bids for her seat. First came Rep. Katie Porter . Now fellow member of Congress Adam...
As Feinstein Ponders Future,
First Challenger Emerges
Jan 10, 2023 3:23 PM CST
As Feinstein Ponders Future, First Challenger Emerges
Rep. Katie Porter says she's running for the senator's seat in 2024
- Sen. Dianne Feinstein is widely expected to announce soon that she will not seek re-election to her California seat at age 89. Rep. Katie Porter is not waiting for that happen. On Tuesday, the progressive Democrat announced she is running for Feinstein's seat in 2024, reports CNN . "California...
Feinstein Reports Showcase
the System's Lack of Options
Apr 16, 2022 2:35 PM CDT
Feinstein Reports Showcase the System's Lack of Options
Ruth Marcus writes that the senator's staff may not be doing the nation a service
- Anecdotes about Sen. Dianne Feinstein's memory issues ring true to Ruth Marcus , based on her own reporting. An article in the
San Francisco Chronicle
detailed the experiences of colleagues and aides with what they said seem to be the 88-year-old senator's fading mental acuity. Writing in the
Cite Concerns on
Apr 15, 2022 12:57 PM CDT
Lawmakers Cite Concerns on Feinstein's Memory, She Balks
'I'm rather puzzled,' 88-year-old Dem senator says of 'Chronicle' report on her mental acuity
- Dianne Feinstein is pushing back on a report that her memory is fading and she may be mentally unfit to continue serving in the US Senate—concerns voiced even by fellow Democrats. On Thursday, the
San Francisco Chronicle
published those concerns from ex-staffers, four senators (three of them Democrats), and...
COVID Rules May
Tighten in Time
for Holiday Travel
Sep 30, 2021 5:26 PM CDT
COVID Rules May Tighten in Time for Holiday Travel
Senate bill would require vaccination or negative test results
- Holiday travelers could face new pandemic rules this season. "We can't allow upcoming holiday air travel to contribute to another surge in COVID cases," Democratic Sen. Diane Feinstein tweeted . "Today, I introduced legislation requiring passengers on domestic flights to be vaccinated, test negative or be fully...
Off California Coast,
a Vast Chemical Graveyard
Apr 27, 2021 7:08 AM CDT
Off California Coast, a Vast Chemical Graveyard
Survey shows dumping site is bigger than the city of San Francisco, shocks scientists
- Scientists who set out to map an underwater dumping ground for industrial waste off the California coast last month say they were stunned by what they found: endless waste barrels spread across a site larger than the city of San Francisco, some 3,000 feet under the sea. After a...
Lincoln, or Feinstein
on City's Schools
Jan 28, 2021 3:33 AM CST
No Washington, Lincoln, or Feinstein on City's Schools
Mayor would prefer the board work on a reopening plan
- Gone are a slew of historical figures, including Washington, Jefferson, and Lincoln—as well as the much more recent Dianne Feinstein. The San Francisco Board of Education has voted to take those names and others off 44 of its schools. The board has for years debated whether to rename buildings...
Woman Allegedly Used
Senator's Name in Aid Scam
Dec 18, 2020 3:37 AM CST
Woman Allegedly Used Senator's Name in Aid Scam
California claim was submitted in name of Sen. Dianne Feinstein
- A former unemployment agency employee in California is accused of using her inside knowledge to scam the system using multiple names—including that of Sen. Dianne Feinstein. Federal prosecutors say former Employment Development Department employee Andrea Gervais filed scores of claims using stolen information and received around $216,000 from...
in case you missed it
Dec 13, 2020 1:56 PM CST
For Feinstein, a Painful 'Groundhog Day' Over Age
Jane Mayer reports on concerns about cognitive decline of 87-year-old senator
- Jane Mayer of the
is out with a new story that will make for uncomfortable reading for supporters of Democratic Sen. Dianne Feinstein. Citing anonymous sources familiar with the 87-year-old California senator, the story asserts that Feinstein's memory and overall cognitive ability have dropped sharply. The issue...
Under Fire From Progressives,
Feinstein Makes a Change
Nov 24, 2020 3:36 AM CST
Under Fire From Progressives, Feinstein Makes a Change
She'll give up her role as top Democrat on Senate Judiciary Committee
- Dianne Feinstein has been taking a lot of flak from her fellow Democrats, particularly progressives in the party, and now comes news that the 87-year-old senator will give up her role as the top Dem on the Judiciary Committee. Politico reports that criticism of Feinstein has largely centered around her...
As Confirmation Hearings
Wrap, Outcry Over a Hug
Oct 16, 2020 12:16 PM CDT
As Confirmation Hearings Wrap, Outcry Over a Hug
Dianne Feinstein's embrace of Lindsey Graham doesn't go over well on the left
- A hug between Senate colleagues is getting a lot of attention. As Thursday's Supreme Court confirmation hearing wrapped up, Sen. Dianne Feinstein—the top Democrat on the Senate judiciary panel—took time to thank GOP chair Lindsey Graham. "This has been one of the best set of hearings...
Feinstein: I Talked to FBI
About Stock Deals
May 14, 2020 5:08 PM CDT
Feinstein: I Talked to FBI About Stock Deals
Senator volunteered, spokesman says
- Sen. Dianne Feinstein has answered FBI questions about her husband's stock trades and turned over documents. The California Democrat volunteered to be interviewed, a spokesman said. Also, Politico reports, she "provided additional documents to show she had no involvement in her husband's transactions," the spokesman said....
Senator Clashes With Kids:
'I Know What I'm Doing'
Feb 23, 2019 1:00 PM CST
Senator Clashes With Kids: 'I Know What I'm Doing'
Sen. Dianne Feinstein resists pressure to back the Green New Deal
- Sen. Dianne Feinstein disagreed with a group of schoolchildren over climate change Friday and saw a video of the tense exchange hit the Internet, CNN reports. "I've been doing this for 30 years. I know what I'm doing," Feinstein tells the dozen-or-so children and several adults...
'Lock Her Up'
Finds a New
Oct 10, 2018 7:46 AM CDT
'Lock Her Up' Finds a New Target at Trump Rally
The crowd reacted when Sen. Dianne Feinstein's name was mentioned
- Chants of "Lock her up!" rang once again through an Iowa arena as President Trump rallied supporters Tuesday. But this time, the staple of Trump's 2016 campaign against Hillary Clinton had a new target: California Sen. Dianne Feinstein. Trump, in the state boosting GOP candidates ahead of...
Prosecutor to Ford:
'I'm Very Sorry'
Sep 27, 2018 12:04 PM CDT
Prosecutor to Ford: 'I'm Very Sorry'
Brett Kavanaugh's Supreme Court nomination hangs in the balance in Senate testimony
- She's positive it happened. That's one big theme emerging from Christine Blasey Ford's highly anticipated testimony Thursday before the Senate Judiciary Committee. Ford told senators she has no doubt that it was Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh who accosted her on a bed at a party in...
Stormy Daniels' Lawyer Says
He Has Kavanaugh Evidence
Sep 24, 2018 6:36 AM CDT
Stormy Daniels' Lawyer Says He Has Kavanaugh Evidence
Feinstein says hearing should be delayed
- Stormy Daniels' lawyer is now involved in the battle over Brett Kavanaugh's Supreme Court nomination—and he says he has a client with "credible information" to support some shocking allegations. In an email to the Senate Judiciary Committee , Michael Avenatti said he was aware "of significant evidence"...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Pence: Errant Comma in Book Affects Meaning of Trump Line
Former WWE Star Sentenced to 17 Years After Fatal DUI Crash
Google Maps: We're Going to Scrap That Desert Detour
Awards Season Kicks Off With De Niro Going Off-Script
Nikki Haley Just Scored a Major Endorsement
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.