Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Lawsuit: Feinstein Is Victim
of 'Financial Elder Abuse'
Aug 16, 2023 7:25 PM CDT
Lawsuit: Feinstein Is Victim of 'Financial Elder Abuse'
Suit was filed by daughter on behalf of 90-year-old senator
- As the senior senator for California, Sen. Dianne Feinstein is one of the most powerful women in the US—but the 90-year-old is also a victim of "financial elder abuse," according to a lawsuit filed by daughter Katherine Feinsten. The suit filed by the Democratic senator's daughter,...
a 'Minor Fall'
Aug 9, 2023 10:24 AM CDT
Feinstein Takes a 'Minor Fall'
Senate's oldest member visited hospital, is recovering at home
- The hits—or really, the falls and senior moments—just keep coming for a couple of the United States Senate's most venerable and aged members, Dianne Feinstein and Mitch McConnell , both of whom are facing calls from members of their own parties to step down. As CBS News reports,...
Power of Attorney
Aug 4, 2023 12:08 PM CDT
Daughter Has Power of Attorney Over Congress' Oldest Member
Questions arise at revelation over control of Democratic Sen. Dianne Feinstein's legal affairs
- Dianne Feinstein turned 90 last month, but the Democratic senator is still punching in for duty on Capitol Hill, despite not-so-subtle whispers about her cognitive abilities and overall health . Now, a new revelation has emerged via the
New York Times
, which reports that Feinstein's only child, 66-year-old daughter Katherine...
a Confused Feinstein
Jul 27, 2023 4:10 PM CDT
Colleague Prompts a Confused Feinstein
Senator started to give a speech in a hearing when she'd been called on to vote
- Sen. Dianne Feinstein became confused during a committee hearing on Thursday and had to be told to cast a vote by another senator. California's senior senator, who returned to the Capitol in May after missing more than two months with health issues , tried to give a speech during an...
Big Name Pops
Up as Possible
May 25, 2023 9:25 AM CDT
Big Name Pops Up as Possible Feinstein Replacement
'Floated in California circle' as debate continues on whether 89-year-old senator should resign: Oprah
- From a recent "concerning" exchange with a journalist, to the odd revelation that Nancy Pelosi's daughter is serving as her aide, Sen. Dianne Feinstein continues to spur questions on whether she should step down after a debilitating bout of shingles and related conditions . One person on the side...
Feinstein's Health Issues
Went Beyond Shingles
May 18, 2023 7:45 PM CDT
Feinstein's Health Issues Went Beyond Shingles
Senator endured encephalitis and facial paralysis but won't talk about resigning
- Sen. Dianne Feinstein's return to Capitol Hill after more than two months has not put a stop to questions about whether she's healthy enough to continue in office—they've only increased as the California Democrat struggles to perform her duties. The extent of Feinstein's battle with...
A Key Feinstein Helper:
Nancy Pelosi's Daughter
May 18, 2023 12:41 PM CDT
A Key Feinstein Helper: Nancy Pelosi's Daughter
Some see a political strategy behind it
- After 89-year-old Dianne Feinstein returned to the Senate earlier this month, the
San Francisco Chronicle
was the first to note that Nancy Pelosi's oldest daughter has been a regular presence by her side. Feinstein and Pelosi are longtime friends, and the appearance of Nancy Corinne Prowda, Pelosi's daughter,...
Exchange With Journo
May 17, 2023 6:41 AM CDT
Dianne Feinstein Has 'Concerning' Exchange With Journo
Senator insists she hasn't 'been gone' from Congress
- In an exchange being called "bizarre" and "concerning," Dianne Feinstein appeared to insist she'd never actually been absent from the Senate, though the senator was away from Washington, DC, for months while recovering from shingles. Slate reporter Jim Newell says that as Feinstein exited an elevator...
Feinstein Returns to Senate,
Plans to Keep Lighter Schedule
May 10, 2023 7:50 PM CDT
Feinstein Returns to Senate, Plans to Keep Lighter Schedule
Democrat cast her first vote since February
- For the first time since Feb. 16, California Sen. Dianne Feinstein cast a vote in the Senate. Feinstein, who has been absent because of health issues, returned to the Capitol on Wednesday afternoon, greeted at her car outside by Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, NBC News reports. She did not...
Feinstein Is Returning
May 9, 2023 7:53 PM CDT
Feinstein Is Returning to Washington
89-year-old's monthslong absence led to calls for resignation
- Sen. Dianne Feinstein is returning to Washington after a long absence that led to increasingly strong calls for her resignation in recent weeks. At 89, the California Democrat is the oldest senator. She was hospitalized with shingles in February and has been absent for more than two months. Her office...
Editorial Board Has
'Painful' Words for Feinstein
May 5, 2023 12:09 PM CDT
Editorial Board Has 'Painful' Words for Feinstein
Board suggests she resign, urges Schumer to act if she doesn't
- Sen. Dianne Feinstein says she will return to the Senate. The editorial board of the
New York Times
suggests she reconsider. And if the 89-year-old doesn't reconsider, the editorial board urges Majority Leader Chuck Schumer to increase pressure on her to step down. The editors laud Feinstein's legacy...
Feinstein Says She'll
Be Back in Congress,
Doesn't Say When
May 5, 2023 1:00 AM CDT
Feinstein Says She'll Be Back in Congress, Doesn't Say When
There have been calls for senator to resign amid extended medical absence
- There have been calls for Dianne Feinstein to resign amid the 89-year-old senator's extended medical absence from Congress, but she doesn't seem to have any interest in heeding them. Feinstein, who is recovering from shingles , released a statement Thursday in response to complaints that her absence is making...
75 Must Be
May 1, 2023 7:00 PM CDT
Nikki Haley: Leaders Over 75 Must Be Tested
GOP candidate calls out Dianne Feinstein and President Biden in particular
- Last week, GOP candidate Nikki Haley made headlines by suggesting it's unlikely a reelected President Biden "would make it" through a second term, notes NBC News . In an op-ed at Fox News , Haley continues the age theme with a renewed call for mandatory competency tests for politicians 75...
That's a No
Apr 18, 2023 11:56 AM CDT
Senate GOP on Feinstein Replacement: That's a No
Republicans 'of all stripes' line up against replacing the absent California Democrat
- Sens. Mitch McConnell and John Fetterman got back to work on Monday after lengthy medical leaves, but Dianne Feinstein did not—and the question of whether Senate Republicans would allow a temporary replacement for her on the Judiciary Committee was quickly answered. As the Hill reports, "GOP senators of...
2 Senators Go Back to Work
Apr 17, 2023 9:55 AM CDT
2 Senators Go Back to Work
Mitch McConnell, John Fetterman return to the Capitol after lengthy absences
- The Senate is a little more full on Monday, but just as red and blue: Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell and Pennsylvania Democrat John Fetterman will be back at work in the US Capitol on Monday, reports the AP . McConnell's return comes almost six weeks after a fall at...
Feinstein Asks to Be Replaced
on Senate Judiciary Committee
Apr 13, 2023 8:14 AM CDT
Feinstein Asks to Be Replaced on Senate Judiciary Committee
She says move would be temporary
- Sen. Dianne Feinstein has asked to be temporarily replaced on the Senate Judiciary Committee amid growing concern among Democrats that the 89-year-old will remain absent indefinitely without resigning. Feinstein, the oldest sitting US senator, was hospitalized with shingles in early March and her absence from the powerful committee has made...
Report: Dems Fear Feinstein
Won't Return to Senate
Apr 12, 2023 6:07 PM CDT
Report: Dems Fear Feinstein Won't Return to Senate
She hasn't been back since shingles diagnosis last month
- Sen. Dianne Feinstein hasn't returned to the Senate since she was hospitalized for shingles early last month and sources tell Politico that Democrats are starting to worry that the 89-year-old senator from California won't come back at all. Feinstein, the oldest sitting US senator, has been undergoing treatment...
Oldest Sitting Senator
Won't Run for Reelection
Feb 14, 2023 1:30 PM CST
Oldest Sitting Senator Won't Run for Reelection
Dianne Feinstein, 89, confirms the rumors
- Longtime Sen. Dianne Feinstein confirmed Tuesday what all of Washington already assumed—she won't be running for reelection, reports the
Los Angeles Times
. "I am announcing today I will not run for reelection in 2024, but intend to accomplish as much for California as I can through the...
Another Big Name Joins
Race for Feinstein's Seat
Jan 26, 2023 10:30 AM CST
Another Big Name Joins Race for Feinstein's Seat
Rep. Adam Schiff launches bid ahead of senator's expected retirement
- For the record, Dianne Feinstein has yet to announce that she won't run for reelection to the Senate. But that apparent technicality isn't stopping big Democratic political names in California from launching their bids for her seat. First came Rep. Katie Porter . Now fellow member of Congress Adam...
As Feinstein Ponders Future,
First Challenger Emerges
Jan 10, 2023 3:23 PM CST
As Feinstein Ponders Future, First Challenger Emerges
Rep. Katie Porter says she's running for the senator's seat in 2024
- Sen. Dianne Feinstein is widely expected to announce soon that she will not seek re-election to her California seat at age 89. Rep. Katie Porter is not waiting for that happen. On Tuesday, the progressive Democrat announced she is running for Feinstein's seat in 2024, reports CNN . "California...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Surfer Hit the Water, Heard 'Crunch, Crunch, Crunch'
'Like Living in a Horror Film' After Minks Escape From Farm
One Republican Comes to Garland's Defense in Hearing
Boston College Suspends Swimming, Diving Teams
Man Allegedly Killed Neighbor's Son Over Tree Trimming
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.