Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Illegal Guns, Fake FBI Badges
Found in Deputy Mayor's Home
Sep 9, 2021 5:01 AM CDT
Illegal Guns, Fake FBI Badges Found in Deputy Mayor's Home
Brian Downey of Airmont, NY, faces more than 30 state, federal charges
- Brian Downey is the deputy mayor of Airmont, NY. He is not, however, an FBI agent, a DEA agent, or a US marshal, and authorities are trying to figure out why he had a stash of fake credentials for those roles. The bogus federal IDs were found along with 17...
Covers Guns in Legos
Jul 14, 2021 8:23 AM CDT
Company's 'Block19' Covers Guns in Legos
Culper Precision's kit is generating plenty of controversy
- A company in Utah is facing backlash after bringing a "childhood [dream] ... to life." That dream, per Culper Precision: a kit that allows handgun aficionados to encase their Glocks in red, yellow, and blue Legos. "We have been building guns out of blocks for the last 30...
AR-15 to Swiss Army
Knife in Assault
Jun 5, 2021 5:30 AM CDT
Judge Compares AR-15 to Swiss Army Knife in Assault Weapons Ruling
US District Judge Roger Benitez overturns Calif.'s 30-year-old assault weapons ban
- A federal judge Friday overturned California's three-decade-old ban on assault weapons, ruling that it violates the constitutional right to bear arms. US District Judge Roger Benitez of San Diego ruled that the state's definition of illegal military-style rifles unlawfully deprives law-abiding Californians of weapons commonly allowed in most...
As Judge Reads Verdict,
Convict Kills Himself
May 18, 2021 6:36 AM CDT
As Judge Reads Verdict, Convict Kills Himself
Jeffrey Sahl Ferris slit his throat in Fargo courtroom
- Upon learning that he would face a minimum of seven years in prison, a convicted man stood in federal court and slit his throat from ear to ear with a letter opener while the judge looked on, according to reports. The suicide occurred as a partial guilty verdict was being...
He Taught His Son About Guns.
Then the Boy Shot Himself
Apr 3, 2021 2:25 PM CDT
He Taught His Son About Guns. Then the Boy Shot Himself
An 11-year-old's death, and the subject of safe storage legislation
- The night on which 11-year-old Tyler Paxton died in 2014 began in an unremarkable way. He had Taco Bell for dinner and watched YouTube videos, sharing one involving an otter with his mom. He told his parents he was going to watch cartoons in their room. Then came the gunshot....
Man With 5 Guns, Body Armor
Arrested at Grocery Store
Mar 25, 2021 6:51 AM CDT
Man With 5 Guns, Body Armor Arrested at Grocery Store
Atlanta cops say suspect's intentions are unclear
- An alert customer at an Atlanta grocery store may have helped stop a copycat mass shooting two days after the Boulder shooting. Police say a man was arrested after walking into a Publix supermarket Wednesday afternoon with at least five guns and body armor, the
reports. Instacart shopper...
Over Bullet's Path
in case you missed it
Dec 20, 2020 1:21 PM CST
Hunter Charged Over Bullet's Path
Minnesota's William Desmet charged with recklessly discharging a firearm
- A Minnesota man's reckless shot while deer hunting could earn him prison time. William Desmet, 40, was hunting on property in central South Dakota with his uncle and another person on Nov. 14 when he allegedly shot through a shed and into a homeowner's bedroom, per the
2020 Has Seen a Slew
of Gun-Related Records
Nov 3, 2020 1:16 PM CST
2020 Has Seen a Slew of Gun-Related Records
FBI has run more background checks in 2020 than in any other year
- As the election neared and the pandemic remained, Americans moved to buy—or stockpile—firearms in record numbers. The FBI conducted more than 1.7 million background checks for gun purchases last month, and Small Arms Analytics and Forecasting estimated that guns sales jumped 65% from October 2019, to 1....
Oct 30, 2020 4:30 PM CDT
Walmart Puts Guns Back on Display
Walmart backtracks on earlier decision, saying civil unrest is isolated
- Walmart has reversed its decision to remove firearms and ammunition from store displays. The company had said Thursday that the change was prompted by civil unrest . "As the current incidents have remained geographically isolated, we have made the decision to begin returning these products to the sales floor today,...
Citing Unrest, Chain Takes
Firearms Off Display
Oct 29, 2020 7:05 PM CDT
Citing Unrest, Chain Takes Firearms Off Display
Walmart will still sell guns and ammunition
- Walmart says it has removed ammunition and firearms from displays at its US stores, citing "civil unrest" in some areas.The nation's largest retailer, based in Bentonville, Arkansas, sells firearms in about half of its 4,700 stores, the AP reports. "We have seen some isolated civil...
Tipster: Militia Members Went
to Kenosha to 'Pick People Off'
Sep 5, 2020 8:00 AM CDT
Tipster: Militia Members Went to Kenosha to 'Pick People Off'
FBI arrests Missouri men Michael Karmo, Cody Smith, finds stash of weapons and ammo
- Out-of-staters converging on Kenosha, Wis., to confront protesters has already resulted in one death, at the hands of Kyle Rittenhouse , an armed 17-year-old from Illinois who considered himself to be protecting the city. Now, two men from Missouri with ties to a militia are in custody on weapons charges after...
NY Jets Player Arrested
With Gun at Airport
Mar 6, 2020 4:26 AM CST
NY Jets Player Arrested With Gun at Airport
Quinnen Williams didn't have NY permit for pistol
- New York Jets defensive lineman Quinnen Williams was arrested for criminal possession of a weapon Thursday night when he attempted to board a plane, police said in a statement. New York/New Jersey Port Authority Police said Williams, the team's first-round draft pick last season, was arrested at LaGuardia Airport...
TSA Confiscated a Record
Number of Guns Last Year
Jan 21, 2020 6:58 PM CST
TSA Confiscated a Record Number of Guns Last Year
But what does it really mean?
- TSA found 4,432 firearms in passengers' carry-on baggage last year—its highest number ever. As Fox News points out, that's a dozen firearms per day, and 87% of those firearms were loaded. Thirty-four percent of them actually had rounds in the chamber. The total number confiscated is a...
Sheriff Says Teen Used
'Ghost Gun' in School Shooting
Nov 22, 2019 6:30 AM CST
Sheriff Says Teen Used 'Ghost Gun' in School Shooting
California teen's father had guns confiscated
- The weapon used in last week's school shooting in California was an unregistered "ghost gun" assembled from a kit, authorities say. While it's not clear who assembled it, police say the parts can be bought online or at gun shows without a background check and instructions can...
Dick's Sporting Goods Turned
Assault Rifles Into Scrap Metal
Oct 8, 2019 2:23 AM CDT
Dick's Sporting Goods Turned Assault Rifles Into Scrap Metal
Chain halted sales after Florida school shooting
- Dick's Sporting Goods stopped selling assault-style rifles after the school shooting in Parkland, Fla.—and the chain didn't try to offload its unsold inventory to other retailers. CEO Ed Stack revealed in a CBS interview Sunday that the chain turned the $5 million worth of assault rifles...
Colt Suspends Production
of AR-15 Rifles for Civilians
Sep 20, 2019 1:52 AM CDT
Colt Suspends Production of AR-15 Rifles for Civilians
Market is already saturated, company says
- Gun-maker Colt is suspending its production of rifles for the civilian market including the popular AR-15, the company said Thursday in a shift it attributed to changes in consumer demand and a market already saturated with similar weapons. The company said it will focus instead on fulfilling contracts with military...
Kroger Makes a
Big Change on Guns
Sep 4, 2019 10:24 AM CDT
Kroger Makes a Big Change on Guns
Grocery chain doesn't want customers openly carrying in its stores anymore
- On the same day Walmart made its big change regarding guns , Kroger made its own move: The grocery store chain no longer wants to be a place where "open carry" is OK. "Kroger is respectfully asking that customers no longer openly carry firearms into our stores, other than...
Terrified Woman Arrested
After Taking Husband's Guns
Jun 23, 2019 1:35 PM CDT
Terrified Woman Arrested After Taking Husband's Guns
Courtney Irby tried to turn them in to police
- A Florida woman who apparently feared for her life was arrested last weekend after turning in her husband's handguns, WFTV reports. Courtney Irby, 32, took her husband Joseph's weapons to Lakeland police on June 15, telling officers that Joseph had been arrested the day before "for trying...
Has Murky Ties
to Gun-Filled Mansion
May 10, 2019 7:54 AM CDT
Getty Family Has Murky Ties to Gun-Filled Mansion
It took law enforcement 12 hours to pull all the guns out of the home
- An estate located near the Playboy Mansion remains the focal point for a Southern California mystery, complete with a posh address, a chaotic interior, and a link to the Getty family. It was also what authorities are calling a "hoarder's paradise." The home that authorities raided Wednesday...
Huge Cache of Guns Seized
in One of LA's Ritziest Areas
May 9, 2019 6:41 AM CDT
Huge Cache of Guns Seized in One of LA's Ritziest Areas
More than 1K firearms found in Holmby Hills mansion
- LAPD officers and ATF agents seized enough guns to equip a small nation's military after raiding a home in one of Los Angeles' ritziest neighborhoods early Wednesday. LAPD spokesman Mike Lopez says a man was arrested after the raid in Holmby Hills, which took place after officials received a...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Husband, Mom of Woman Killed on Wedding Night in Ugly Legal Fight
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
Texas Woman Whose Baby Won't Survive Goes to Court
Kevin McCarthy to Exit the House at Month's End
A 65-Year-Old Christmas Classic Finally Hits No. 1
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.