Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Police Chief Balks
Sep 9, 2023 9:00 AM CDT
Albuquerque Police Chief Balks at Governor's Emergency Order
After shootings, New Mexico's Michelle Lujan Grisham suspends open, concealed carry in city
- New Mexico Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham on Friday issued an emergency order suspending the right to carry firearms in public across Albuquerque and the surrounding county for at least 30 days after a spate of gun violence. The Democratic governor said she expects legal challenges but was compelled to act...
SCOTUS Rarely Takes On
2A Cases, but One's Coming Up
Jul 1, 2023 7:45 AM CDT
SCOTUS Rarely Takes On 2A Cases, but One's Coming Up
Justices agree to review whether government can bar domestic abusers from having guns
- The Supreme Court wrapped up its latest term this week with high-profile rulings involving affirmative action , LGBTQ+ and religious rights , and student loan debt , and now it's looking ahead to its next roster of cases, including one that's sure to draw the attention of both gun safety and...
Sources: Bank Attacker Wrote
He Wanted to Make a Point
Apr 21, 2023 2:30 PM CDT
Sources: Bank Attacker Wrote He Wanted to Make a Point
Family tries to keep the gun from being used again
- The man who opened fire at a Louisville bank, killing five people and wounding eight, left behind notes saying he wanted to demonstrate how easily a person with a serious mental illness can obtain an assault-style weapon, CNN reports by way of law enforcement sources. One note was found on...
Mom Charged After Another
Child Brings Gun to Va. School
Feb 18, 2023 9:30 AM CST
Mom Charged After Another Child Brings Gun to Va. School
This time, 6-year-old was at Norfolk's Little Creek Elementary, month after teacher was shot
- Last month, an elementary school teacher in Newport News, Virginia, was shot and seriously injured by one of her students—a 6-year-old boy. Now, the mother of another 6-year-old in Virginia has been charged after her child brought a handgun to school. Per a release from the City of Norfolk,...
Child Homicide Stats
Dec 20, 2022 8:08 AM CST
Child Homicide Stats Are Staggering
Child murder rate rose 28% in 2020, with Black children disproportionately affected
- Homicide is now "the leading cause of death among American children, making the United States an outlier among similarly developed nations," the
New York Times
reports. Homicides of children were up 28% in the first year of the pandemic as 2,058 children aged 17 and under were...
TSA Stops Record Number
of Guns at Airport Checkpoints
Dec 19, 2022 11:39 AM CST
TSA Stops Record Number of Guns at Airport Checkpoints
More than 6.3K firearms have been seized already, and the year's not even done
- Firearms aren't permitted in plane cabins during flights, even if passengers have a concealed-weapons permit. That didn't stop a whole lot of people from packing guns in their carry-ons this year—either forgetting they were there, not realizing they weren't allowed to pack them (or not realizing...
FBI Report Casts Doubt
on Baldwin's Trigger Claim
Aug 15, 2022 11:35 AM CDT
FBI Report Casts Doubt on Baldwin's Trigger Claim
Actor says he never pulled it in cinematographer's death, but tests suggest that's impossible
- The investigation into exactly what transpired before Alec Baldwin accidentally killed a cinematographer on set is ongoing, but a new FBI report casts doubt on one element of Baldwin's account. The actor told ABC News definitively last year that he never pulled the trigger of what he was told...
Hangs Up Gun Deal
Jun 17, 2022 11:03 AM CDT
'Boyfriend Loophole' Hangs Up Gun Deal
Senate negotiators at impasse on defining who should be barred from owning a gun
- A group of senators is trying to hammer out the final details of legislation on gun safety , and one particular issue has emerged as a major snag: It revolves around the definition of the term "boyfriend". Coverage:
Under current federal law, anyone convicted of domestic violence against
Teachers in This
State Can Now
Carry Guns With
24 Hours' Training
Jun 14, 2022 10:25 AM CDT
Teachers in This State Can Now Carry Guns With 24 Hours' Training
Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine signs bill into law; school districts still need to sign off on staffers with firearms
- Local school boards in Ohio have been able to give the OK for years for teachers and other school employees to carry firearms at work. But a new law signed by Gov. Mike DeWine on Monday just made a significant change on training requirements to do so, knocking down the...
Baltimore Sues Manufacturer
of Untraceable 'Tools of Death'
Jun 2, 2022 7:55 AM CDT
Baltimore Sues Manufacturer of Untraceable 'Tools of Death'
City alleges Polymer80 'profit[s] from destroying our communities'
- The city of Baltimore has joined Los Angeles and Washington, DC, in suing one of the nation's largest manufacturers of untraceable ghost guns , labeling the weapons without serial numbers a "devastating menace" to residents and Americans at large. Baltimore Mayor Brandon Scott announced the lawsuit against Polymer80, Inc....
Eye on Ukraine,
Make a Move
Jun 2, 2022 7:27 AM CDT
Eye on Ukraine, Taiwanese Make a Move
Citizens who've never handled firearms are increasingly taking lessons in handling airsoft guns
- China has scoffed at comparisons of itself and Taiwan to the Russian invasion of Ukraine . But that hasn't eased the fears of Taiwanese residents, who are now taking a step many never expected: getting firearms training. Although gun ownership is strongly regulated in Taiwan, people who've never picked...
Trump Piles On Abbott, Other
No-Shows at NRA Meeting
May 28, 2022 7:45 AM CDT
Trump Piles On Abbott, Other No-Shows at NRA Meeting
'Unlike some, I did not disappoint you,' Trump told crowd gathered in Houston on Friday
- The NRA's Houston convention went on as planned Friday, despite protests due to the deadly mass shooting on Tuesday across the state in Uvalde. And although some big names pulled out of the gun rights advocacy group's annual meeting in the 11th hour, former President Donald Trump wasn'...
'They Saw Something,
May 26, 2022 7:36 AM CDT
Near 2nd Texas School, 'They Saw Something, Said Something'
Day after Uvalde mass shooting, police say they found gun in vehicle of high schooler in Richardson
- A Texas high school student was arrested after police say they found a firearm in his car in a nearby parking lot, just one day after a school shooting six hours away in Uvalde that left 21 dead. Per a Facebook post by the Richardson Police Department, a call came...
Judge: America 'Would Not
Exist' Without Armed Teens
May 12, 2022 4:01 AM CDT
Judge: America 'Would Not Exist' Without Armed Teens
But ruling on under-21 gun ban was not a total victory for gun rights advocates
- A US appeals court ruled Wednesday that California’s ban on the sale of semiautomatic weapons to adults under 21 is unconstitutional. The 2-1 ruling by a panel of the 9th US Circuit Court of Appeals said Wednesday the law violates the Second Amendment right to bear arms and a...
CDC Report on Gun Homicides
Is a 'Heartbreaking' One
May 11, 2022 8:45 AM CDT
CDC Report on Gun Homicides Is a 'Heartbreaking' One
First year of pandemic saw a 35% rise in firearm murders from the previous year, per new report
- The pandemic has wreaked havoc on a variety of fronts, and gun violence hasn't escaped its path. According to a new report from the CDC, the firearm homicide rate in 2020 reached its highest rate since 1994, increasing nearly 35% from the previous year, reports Axios . "That's...
Sheriff: Dad of
Bought Gun on
Dec 1, 2021 10:29 AM CST
Sheriff: Dad of Oxford Suspect Bought Gun on Black Friday
Official says he wasn't aware of threats of violence before Tuesday's attack at school north of Detroit
- The 15-year-old suspect who fatally shot three students and injured seven others and a teacher at Oxford High School north of Detroit on Tuesday used a gun purchased by his father on Black Friday, according to the local sheriff. The sophomore was in possession of the 9mm Sig Sauer SP2022...
He Admits to a
Dozen Museum Heists,
Gets Day in Jail
Nov 24, 2021 1:35 PM CST
He Admits to a Dozen Museum Heists, Gets Day in Jail
Pennsylvania's Thomas Gavin helped trace stolen firearms after confession
- A Pennsylvania man will spend exactly one day in jail after admitting to stealing historic artifacts from more than a dozen museums in at least four states. Montgomery County's Thomas Gavin busted into museums along the US East Coast in the 1960s and '70s, taking mostly antique firearms,...
Baldwin Has a Solution
for Weapons on Sets
Nov 8, 2021 2:31 PM CST
Baldwin Has a Solution for Weapons on Sets
Actor posted tweet calling for cops to monitor guns
- Alec Baldwin thinks cops are the answer. The actor posted a screenshot of a tweet to his Instagram page that reads, "Every film/TV set that uses guns, fake or otherwise, should have a police officer on set, hired by the production, to specifically monitor weapons safety." Baldwin didn’...
Among First-Time Gun
Buyers, a Gender Shift
Sep 16, 2021 7:15 PM CDT
Among First-Time Gun Buyers, a Gender Shift
Since 2019, roughly half have been women
- Social unrest and the pandemic appear to have achieved what decades of marketing campaigns from gun companies failed to do. A new study has found that almost half of all first-time gun buyers since the start of 2019 are women, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. Gun sales soared during the...
Illegal Guns, Fake FBI Badges
Found in Deputy Mayor's Home
Sep 9, 2021 5:01 AM CDT
Illegal Guns, Fake FBI Badges Found in Deputy Mayor's Home
Brian Downey of Airmont, NY, faces more than 30 state, federal charges
- Brian Downey is the deputy mayor of Airmont, NY. He is not, however, an FBI agent, a DEA agent, or a US marshal, and authorities are trying to figure out why he had a stash of fake credentials for those roles. The bogus federal IDs were found along with 17...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
UCLA Pauses Dorm Project Over 'Worrisome' Room Size
Biden Makes Big Announcement on UAW Strike
Missing Star Wars Relic Turns Up in a Garage
She Has Learned What a Fatal Overdose Sounds Like
Dallas Mayor Switches Parties
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.