Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Legal Fight Rages Over
Unsolved $17M Gold Heist
Nov 21, 2023 3:00 AM CST
Legal Fight Rages Over Unsolved $17M Gold Heist
Brink's, Air Canada each blame the other
- More than seven months after a brazen heist at Toronto's Pearson International Airport , the thieves still have not been caught. A legal battle, however, is raging. Thieves used a counterfeit waybill to claim a cargo container holding nearly $17 million worth of gold bars and cash from an airport...
The Phony Will Worked—
Until His Ex Got Suspicious
Nov 19, 2023 12:50 PM CST
The Phony Will Worked— Until His Ex Got Suspicious
'Toronto Life' unravels story of ex-cop, his mistress, and the money they stole from a dead man
- In one sense, the story by Katherine Laidlaw in
recounts a straightforward, depressing crime: When an elderly man with dementia died without a will and seemingly without relatives, a couple successfully schemed to illegally obtain his estate of more than $800,000. They pulled it off because Adellene...
Driver, 79, Faces Murder
Charge After Vehicle Hits 3
Nov 16, 2023 4:25 PM CST
Driver, 79, Faces Murder Charge After Vehicle Hits 3
Officials say man at the wheel knew them
- A 79-year-old man who Toronto police said drove into three people, killing one of them, on purpose has been charged with first-degree murder. A woman in her 60s died at a hospital after being hit by a vehicle driven by Ciro Garofano in a parking lot on the northeast section...
'They Were Among
Aug 27, 2023 9:01 AM CDT
'They Were Among the Wealthiest Murder Victims in History'
'Bloomberg Businessweek' revisits the case of Barry and Honey Sherman
- "They were among the wealthiest murder victims in history." And nearly six years later, the December 2017 murders of Barry and Honey Sherman have yet to be solved. No suspects have been named, but as Matthew Campbell and Ari Altstedter write for
, police and the private...
Zoo Cracks Down on
Gorilla's Screen Time
Jul 12, 2023 11:20 AM CDT
Zoo Cracks Down on Gorilla's Screen Time
It seems they really like visitors' cellphones
- If you've ever had a kid, spouse, or decidedly boring date you couldn't drag away from their phone, the Toronto Zoo can commiserate. The
reports that visitors have for some reason felt the urge to show Nassir the gorilla videos on their cellphones. "Nassir is...
This Is the
Most Livable City
in the World
in case you missed it
Jun 25, 2023 12:10 PM CDT
This Is the Most Livable City in the World
Vienna is No. 1 in rankings of 170+ cities worldwide; no US cities make the top 10
- Looking to pull up roots and try to make it in an exciting new city? Head to Vienna, deemed the most livable city, or to Canada, where three cities are among the top picks on the Economist Intelligence Unit's Global Liveability Index . The EIU based its rankings of more...
This Is the Friendliest
City in the World
Jun 12, 2023 11:19 AM CDT
This Is the Friendliest City in the World
Toronto takes the top spot in Preply's rankings; 2 US cities also make the top 10
- Looking forward to a summer vacation, or even a relocation? Preply is out with its Community Spirit Index , which ranks more than 50 cities around the world in terms of how friendly they are to non-natives. The language learning app examined six main metrics to gather a sense of how...
City's Mayoral Race Certainly
Has Interesting Candidates
May 16, 2023 9:10 AM CDT
City's Mayoral Race Certainly Has Interesting Candidates
Molly the rescue pup, comedian, former police chief, high school senior all vying for Toronto title
- Over the weekend,
columnist Edward Keenan made his picks for the six top contenders to be the next mayor of Ontario's capital, after Friday's deadline for submitting candidacy papers came and went. Most notable in this year's mayoral race, Keenan wrote: the "whopping" 102...
Holding $15M Worth
of Gold, Valuables
Stolen in Heist
in case you missed it
Apr 23, 2023 7:30 AM CDT
Aircraft Container Holding $15M Worth of Gold, Valuables Stolen in Heist
No suspects yet arrested in Toronto incident
- Authorities say $15 million worth of gold and other valuables were stolen Monday in a heist at Toronto Pearson International Airport. The airport is often used to ship gold mined in Ontario, the BBC reports. A "high-value" aircraft container arrived on a plane that night and was unloaded and...
You Don't Want to Know What
This Plane's Parking Fee Is
Apr 18, 2023 10:00 AM CDT
You Don't Want to Know What This Plane's Parking Fee Is
Russian aircraft stranded at Toronto airport for more than a year has racked up $330K bill so far
- Toronto Pearson International Airport spells out pretty clearly how much patrons might owe for both short- and long-term parking there, but the venue is now contending with one situation that isn't covered on its rates sheet. There are just over two dozen Antonov AN-124 cargo planes that exist on...
Cops Name Man Who
8 Girls Allegedly Swarmed
Jan 10, 2023 5:39 PM CST
Cops Name Man Who 8 Girls Allegedly Swarmed
Toronto residents charged with second-degree murder of man outside homeless shelter
- The man who was stabbed to death in December in what police have called a "swarming" attack was on Tuesday identified as Ken Lee; he had previously been described as a 59-year-old who was residing in Toronto's homeless shelters. The
reports Lee was attacked near the main...
Daughters Say Condo Gunman
Was Controlling, Abusive
Dec 21, 2022 1:52 PM CST
Daughters Say Condo Gunman Was Controlling, Abusive
5 victims of Toronto-area shooting identified as board members, partners
- The three daughters of the gunman who killed five people in a Toronto-area condo building Sunday night say they cut their ties with him years ago and they "are in absolute shock and utter devastation at the events that have transpired." In a statement to the
Condo Shooting Happened
Night Before Eviction Hearing
Dec 20, 2022 3:05 PM CST
Condo Shooting Happened Night Before Eviction Hearing
Lawyers for Toronto-area building said Francesco Villi was 'ungovernable'
- A suburban Toronto man who was killed by police after authorities say he fatally shot five people in his condominium building, including three members of the condo board , had a court hearing scheduled for the next day to determine if the building's management could evict him. Francesco Villi, 73,...
Toronto Suspect Had Yearslong
Dispute With Condo Board
Dec 20, 2022 12:11 AM CST
Toronto Suspect Had Yearslong Dispute With Condo Board
3 members of board among the dead in Toronto-area shooting
- Police have not yet identified the five victims killed in a rare mass shooting in the Toronto area Sunday night, but they said Monday that all of them were residents of Bellaria Residences, the condo building in Vaughan where the shootings took place, and that three of them were members...
Cops: Condo Gunman in
Toronto Was 73 Years Old
Dec 19, 2022 11:13 AM CST
Cops: Condo Gunman in Toronto Was 73 Years Old
Five victims were killed before police killed the shooter
- A few more details have emerged about a mass shooting in the Toronto area Sunday night, the most notable of which is that police say the gunman was 73 years old, reports the AP . Authorities say the unidentified man killed five in a condominium building in Vaughan before police killed...
Reward Tripled in
Dec 13, 2022 2:43 AM CST
Reward Tripled in Billionaire Couple's Baffling Murders
No suspect has yet been named in murders of Barry and Honey Sherman
- The mysterious murders of a billionaire Canadian couple remain unsolved almost five years later, and now the son of Barry and Honey Sherman is increasing a reward for information that helps arrest and convict the killer . The reward is now nearly $26 million dollars, more than triple the original amount,...
He Signed $400K Deal
for Home, Was Told
to Pay Another $100K
Oct 23, 2022 2:10 PM CDT
He Signed $400K Deal for Home, Was Told to Pay Another $100K
'Toronto Life' explores the chaotic world of Ontario real estate
- Toronto is certainly not the only city in recent years to experience a building boom and soaring home prices. Nor is it the only place whose construction industry was upended by pandemic-related supply and labor crunches. But the greater Toronto area had a shortage of affordable housing long before the...
Uber Eats Launches Its
First Pot Delivery Service
Oct 17, 2022 5:20 PM CDT
Uber Eats Launches Its First Pot Delivery Service
Toronto program is a world first, company says
- Pot smokers in Canada's biggest city might now be calling Uber Eats long before they get the munchies. In what the company says is a world first, it is partnering with cannabis marketplace Leafly for home cannabis delivery in Toronto, Engadget reports. "This is the first time cannabis...
Toronto Spa Killer
Pleads Guilty, Says
He Was 'Born' an Incel
Sep 15, 2022 12:30 AM CDT
Toronto Spa Killer Pleads Guilty, Says He Was 'Born' an Incel
Toronto teen killed woman, injured 2 others in 2020 stabbings
The now-20-year-old who went on a stabbing spree at a Toronto massage parlor when he was 17, killing one woman and injuring another woman and a man, pleaded guilty Wednesday to charges of murder and attempted murder. He still faces terror charges not covered by the plea. The killer,...
Toronto Cop Killed
in 'Ambush Attack'
Sep 13, 2022 12:26 AM CDT
Toronto Cop Killed in 'Ambush Attack'
Gunman then killed another person, injured 3 others before being killed by police
- A man shot and killed a Toronto traffic police officer while he was on lunch break, killed another person, and injured three others Monday before police tracked the suspect down and killed him in a cemetery, officials said. Authorities issued an emergency alert to phones saying they were investigating an...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Couple's NC Wyeth Windfall Collapses
NFL Star Charged With Assaulting Pregnant Girlfriend
Morgan Names Royals Who Made Alleged Racist Comments
McCarthy-Trump Relationship Is Back in the Headlines
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.