Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Family Doctor's Big Secret:
$9K a Week Pushing Fentanyl
Apr 4, 2021 7:01 AM CDT
Family Doctor's Big Secret: $9K a Week Pushing Fentanyl
'Toronto Life' recounts the case of George Otto
- About a decade ago, the province of Ontario, Canada, set up a monitoring system to prevent bogus opioid prescriptions, a system designed to flag shady doctors or pharmacists. "But what happens when a bad doctor meets a bad pharmacist?" writes Brett Popplewell in
. "The system wasn’...
Surge During Lockdown
Mar 8, 2021 11:58 AM CST
Raccoon Attacks Surge During Lockdown
'It’s really just people being foolish'
- In Toronto, which emerges from a strict monthslong lockdown next week, the pandemic has brought residents closer to their local wildlife—and the interactions have not always gone well. Public health authorities say there has been a 62% increase in reports of people being scratched or bitten by raccoons, the...
Man Guilty in
Deadly Van Attack
'Fueled by Misogyny'
Mar 3, 2021 11:38 AM CST
Man Guilty in Deadly Van Attack 'Fueled by Misogyny'
Alek Minassian claimed he was not criminally responsible owing to autism diagnosis
- A Canadian man who plowed a van into pedestrians in Toronto in 2018 has been found guilty of all 26 counts against him. Alek Minassian was convicted of 10 counts of murder and 16 counts of attempted murder Wednesday in Ontario Superior Court; he faces an automatic life sentence. Justice...
Cops: Restaurant Owner
Went to Extremes to
Nov 27, 2020 8:16 AM CST
Cops: Restaurant Owner Went to Extremes to Violate Lockdown
Owner of Adamson Barbecue in Toronto facing 13 charges
- With COVID-19 cases spiking, Canada's largest city entered a four-week lockdown on Monday. Among other restrictions, Toronto restaurants are prohibited from offering indoor dining—a rule police say Adam Skelly willfully violated. The owner of Adamson Barbecue in the suburb of Etobicoke is facing 13 charges for continuing to...
3 Years Later, News
in Double-Murder Probe
Nov 25, 2020 7:06 PM CST
3 Years Later, News in Double-Murder Probe
Barry and Honey Sherman were killed in their Toronto home in December 2017
- Toronto police said Wednesday that they have identified a person of interest in the killing of Canadian drug company billionaire Barry Sherman and his wife nearly three years ago, the AP reports. Police Constable Jenifferjit Sidhu confirmed a report by the
that a person of interest had been...
550 People Who Went to
Strip Club Got Some Bad News
Aug 17, 2020 8:11 AM CDT
550 People Who Went to Strip Club Got Some Bad News
Worker tests positive for COVID at Toronto's Brass Rail Tavern, dinged for flouting safety protocols
- A worker at a Toronto strip club has tested positive for COVID-19, but that isn't the only problem the venue has. Per the
, health officials in the Canadian city say that up to 550 additional people may have been exposed to the virus at the Brass Rail Tavern,...
Buffalo Blue Jays
Jul 24, 2020 4:40 PM CDT
Pandemic Creates Buffalo Blue Jays
Team has been homeless since Canada prohibited games in Toronto
- After a couple of rejections, the Toronto Blues Jays have found a place to play their home games this season. Their search ended not all that far away. "We are extremely grateful to have a home in Buffalo this season," the team's president said. Sahlen Field usually...
Woman Who Threw Chair From
Balcony, Went Viral Learns Fate
Jul 22, 2020 12:07 AM CDT
Woman Who Threw Chair From Balcony, Went Viral Learns Fate
Marcella Zoia, aka 'Chair Girl,' avoids jail
- The woman who filmed herself throwing a chair from a high-rise balcony near a busy sidewalk and expressway—a video that ended up going viral on social media—has avoided jail time for the stunt. Marcella Zoia, now 20, of Toronto posted the video last year on Snapchat. She was...
Canada Gives Jays
the Ol' Heave Ho
Jul 18, 2020 2:30 PM CDT
Canada Gives Jays the Ol' Heave Ho
It's not safe for them to play in Toronto, the government says
- The Blue Jays have been denied approval by the Canadian government to play in Toronto amid the coronavirus pandemic, the AP reports. Immigration Minister Marco Mendicino announced in a statement Saturday the federal government had denied the request, confirming what an official familiar with the matter had told the AP...
Plane Packed With 500 Puppies
Lands, With 38 of Them Dead
Jun 21, 2020 11:30 AM CDT
Plane Packed With 500 Puppies Lands, With 38 of Them Dead
Witness calls Toronto arrival of plane from Ukraine a 'horror show'
- A Canadian agency is investigating after a plane filled with 500 puppies landed in Toronto, and 38 of them were found dead. Others were ill—dehydrated, vomiting and weak, the
reports. "It was a nightmare," a witness said. The Ukraine International Airlines plane landed June 13 Pearson...
May 30, 2020 9:45 AM CDT
Explorer Finds 'Evidence' in Murdered Billionaire's House
The urban explorer says 'there was stuff everywhere' in Barry and Honey Sherman's home
- A so-called "urban explorer" crept into the house of a murdered billionaire couple last year and saw a lot more than he bargained for, the
reports. The explorer, who remains unidentified, slipped into Barry and Honey Sherman's home in Toronto just before it was demolished last...
'It Is a Big Loss': Google
Scraps Plan for Futuristic City
May 9, 2020 2:00 PM CDT
'It Is a Big Loss': Google Scraps Plan for Futuristic City
Sidewalk Labs abandons 'Quayside Project' in Toronto
- Self-driving cars. Heated sidewalks. Timber buildings. Sidewalk Labs touted them all in its dream of a futuristic Toronto neighborhood—but that dream died Thursday when Google's sibling company pulled the plug,
reports. "It is with great personal sadness and disappointment that Sidewalk Labs will no longer pursue...
Major Stadium Is All Quiet
—Except for 10K Meals a Day
Apr 25, 2020 3:30 PM CDT
Major Stadium Is All Quiet —Except for 10K Meals a Day
Scotiabank Arena is working hard to feed the people
- The stadium where Kawhi Leonard shot his chilling buzzer-beater last May has an entirely new purpose: feeding Toronto. The owner of Scotiabank Arena and its partners are having up to 10,000 meals prepared daily to feed front-line health workers and the needy at shelters and agencies, the
She Was Shot
in the Chest.
Thing Saved Her
Apr 21, 2020 9:35 AM CDT
She Was Shot in the Chest. A Surprising Thing Saved Her
Bullet traveled through both of a woman's breast implants in rare case
- A Canadian woman can credibly say that her breast implants saved her life. The unnamed 30-year-old had been walking in Toronto in 2018 when she felt pain on the left side of her chest, looked down, and saw blood, per Gizmodo . She went to the emergency room, where she learned...
NHL Player Dies After
Being Rushed to Hospital
Apr 12, 2020 4:00 PM CDT
NHL Player Dies After Being Rushed to Hospital
Colby Cave suffered a brain bleed
- An Edmonton Oilers player has died at age 25 after suffering a brain bleed, Fox News reports. Colby Cave was hospitalized Tuesday in Toronto, per
, then placed in a medically induced coma after surgery to ease pressure on his brain. Now his wife Emily is mourning his Saturday passing:...
After Gamer's Shocking
Confession, 4 Bodies Found
Feb 27, 2020 3:33 PM CST
After Gamer's Shocking Confession, 4 Bodies Found
'Toronto Life' pieces together the story of a young man's alleged massacre of his family
- His fellow gamers thought he was joking. “I killed mom and granny so far, waiting for sister in 5 minutes and dad in 1 hour,” wrote 23-year-old Menhaz Zaman on the Discord app last year. Later, came, "I’ve just slaughtered my entire family," followed by...
Cops: Private Investigation of
Billionaire Murders Has Ended
Dec 17, 2019 2:31 AM CST
Cops: Private Investigation of Billionaire Murders Has Ended
$10M reward still offered in Sherman murders
- Police in Toronto on Monday said the private investigation into the murders of Canadian drug company billionaire businessman Barry Sherman and his wife, Honey, is over but the police investigation remains active. Toronto police homicide Insp. Hank Idsinga said the case is now solely in the hands of police. Idsinga...
Toronto Van Attack Suspect:
'I Accomplished My Mission'
Sep 27, 2019 12:34 AM CDT
Toronto Van Attack Suspect: 'I Accomplished My Mission'
He said he was in contact with Elliot Rodger
- A newly released video shows a man who allegedly used a van to kill 10 pedestrians in Toronto telling police that he's part of an online group of sexually frustrated men who plot attacks against people who have sex. Alek Minassian, 26, is accused of driving a rental van...
Chief Killed on
Jul 19, 2019 7:44 AM CDT
Special Effects Chief Killed on
Warren Appleby was hit with debris from car
- A special effects "wizard" is dead following an accident on the set of DC Universe's
. Warren Appleby, the special effects coordinator for the show, was hit by metal debris that broke off from a car without warning at a special effects facility in Toronto on Thursday, reports...
Gunfire Erupts at Raptors Rally
Jun 17, 2019 4:45 PM CDT
Gunfire Erupts at Raptors Rally
4 people were injured in the shooting
- Shots rang out Monday at a massive rally celebrating the Toronto Raptors' NBA championship victory, the
reports. In a crowd outside Toronto's city hall—where team members spoke from a stage—police say four people suffered non-life-threatening injuries, three were arrested, and two firearms were recovered. Many...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Here's What People Are Saying After Biden's State of the Union
Elian Gonzalez Is Making Headlines Again
Romney Had It Out With George Santos at SOTU
After Tyre Nichols' Beating, a Pic Began Making the Rounds
As Quake Toll Surges, More Questions About 1999 Tax
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.