Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Climate Change May Be
Affecting Baseball Games
Apr 9, 2023 4:50 PM CDT
Climate Change May Be Affecting Baseball Games
Researchers suggest warmer weather is leading to more home runs
- Climate change is making major league sluggers into even hotter hitters, sending an extra 50 or so home runs a year over the fences, a new study found. Per the AP , hotter, thinner air that allows balls to fly farther contributed a tiny bit to a surge in home runs...
Was Quite a Marriage
Proposal on the Baseball Field
Mar 31, 2023 12:00 PM CDT
Was Quite a Marriage Proposal on the Baseball Field
Ricardo Juarez gets tackled by security during romantic gesture at Dodger Stadium
- A Los Angeles Dodgers fan tried to propose to his girlfriend at a baseball game, but ended up getting tackled like he was at a football game. TMZ Sports reports that it all went down during Thursday night's matchup at Dodger Stadium against the Arizona Diamondbacks, when a man...
to See That'
Mar 22, 2023 8:12 AM CDT
'I Think Every Baseball Fan Wanted to See That'
World Baseball Classic comes to showdown between Ohtani, Trout, as Japan wins
- Shohei Ohtani and Mike Trout had dreamed of this moment, along with millions of fans throughout Japan and the United States: the two biggest stars on the planet, longtime teammates, facing each other at 60 feet, 6 inches, the world title at stake. Of course, the count went full. And...
Someone Celebrated His
Baseball Win a Little Too Hard
Mar 16, 2023 10:23 AM CDT
Someone Celebrated His Baseball Win a Little Too Hard
Mets closer Edwin Diaz may be out for season after hurting knee in World Baseball Classic celebration
- New York Mets closer Edwin Diaz suffered a possibly season-ending injury Wednesday at a World Baseball Classic game, but it wasn't during the game itself. The
Wall Street Journal
reports that Diaz, 28, finished off the ninth inning during the international tournament in Miami for Puerto Rico's 5-2...
Ex-Phillies Got Brain Cancer
After Playing on Artificial Turf
Mar 7, 2023 1:53 PM CST
Ex-Phillies Got Brain Cancer After Playing on Artificial Turf
'Philadelphia Inquirer' digs into the cluster of rare glioblastoma cases
is out with a jarring story about that city's baseball team: The newspaper reports that six former members of the Philadelphia Phillies died of the rare brain cancer glioblastoma, and one thing they had in common is that they played on artificial turf at the since-demolished...
Baseball Loses a Familiar
Face, and Voice
Feb 16, 2023 2:01 PM CST
Baseball Loses a Familiar Face, and Voice
Player and broadcaster Tim McCarver dies at 81
- Tim McCarver, the All-Star catcher and Hall of Fame broadcaster who during 60 years in baseball won two World Series titles with the St. Louis Cardinals and had a long run as the one of the country's most recognized television commentators, died Thursday at age 81, per the AP...
Feb 14, 2023 1:55 PM CST
Baseball's Ghost Runner Is Staying
MLB makes permanent a rule designed to shorten extra-inning games
- Baseball has been experimenting with a pretty big change to the rules, and the change is now permanent. From now on, every time a game goes into extra innings, a "ghost runner" will start each inning on second base, reports ESPN . The idea is to make it easier to...
MLB Teams Sign a Bunch
of Players' Family Members
Jan 16, 2023 8:41 AM CST
MLB Teams Sign a Bunch of Players' Family Members
Among them: Padres sign Ethan Salas, younger bro of top Marlins prospect Jose Salas, for $5.6M
- The San Diego Padres signed 16-year-old catcher Ethan Salas of Caracas, Venezuela, to a $5.6 million bonus on Sunday, the first day of the international signing period. Salas is the consensus top overall prospect in this year's class. The left-handed hitter is the younger brother of Jose Salas,...
Days After Giants
Dec 25, 2022 10:32 AM CST
Days After Giants Ditch Superstar's Deal, Another Team Balks
Now the Mets are hesitating at signing Carlos Correa, apparently over his ankle
- The New York Mets and the agent for baseball star Carlos Correa are having discussions over the infielder’s physical—days after similar concerns from the San Francisco Giants led to the surprise collapse of their agreement with the shortstop, per the AP . The Mets have not yet finalized a...
He Was a Spitball Master,
Only Got Caught Once
Dec 1, 2022 2:03 PM CST
He Was a Spitball Master, Only Got Caught Once
Hall of Fame pitcher Gaylord Perry dies at 84
- Baseball Hall of Famer and two-time Cy Young Award winner Gaylord Perry, a master of the spitball who wrote a book about using the pitch, died Thursday at age 84. Perry died at his home in Gaffney, South Carolina, of natural causes, said Cherokee County Coroner Dennis Fowler, per the...
Houston Astros Win First
World Series Since
Nov 5, 2022 10:48 PM CDT
Houston Astros Win First World Series Since Cheating Scandal
They beat the Philadelphia Phillies 4-1 in game 6
- Yordan Alvarez hit a towering go-ahead homer and the Houston Astros clinched their second World Series title in six seasons, snagging Dusty Baker his first crown as a manager with a 4-1 win over the Philadelphia Phillies in Game 6 on Saturday night, the AP reports. As Alvarez's 450-foot...
If the Astros Win It All, He'll
Win a Staggering Amount
Nov 2, 2022 8:12 AM CDT
If the Astros Win It All, He'll Win a Staggering Amount
Jim McIngvale could walk away with the largest payout on a single legal sports bet
- The Phillies are up 2-1 in the World Series, and there's probably one American who's hoping more than most that the tides change: a prolific Texas gambler with a knack for attention-getting bets, who stands to win nearly $75 million if the Houston Astros win the World Series....
We Have a New
World Series Matchup
Oct 24, 2022 12:05 AM CDT
We Have a New World Series Matchup
Houston and Philly will meet in baseball's big game
- Bryce Harper and Kyle Schwarber breaking the Bank in Philly. Yordan Alvarez launching moonshots in H-Town. Dusty Baker trying for a most elusive win. Justin Verlander, too. A fired-up Harper and All-Stars JT Realmuto and Zack Wheeler, stepping onto baseball's biggest platform for the first time. Yo! The Philadelphia...
'Bizarre' Moment in
MLB Playoff Game
Leads to Cries of 'Cheater!'
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Oct 15, 2022 6:30 AM CDT
'Bizarre' Moment in MLB Playoff Game Leads to Cries of 'Cheater!'
San Diego Padres pitcher gets his ears checked at Mets manager's request
- With a magnificent performance on a memorable night in Padres history, Joe Musgrove brought this one home for San Diego and really stuck it to the New York Mets. The big right-hander brushed off chants of “Cheater!” after a bizarre spot check by umpires on the mound, pitching...
Fan Who Caught Judge's
HR Ball Gets a Huge Offer
Oct 6, 2022 9:00 AM CDT
Fan Who Caught Judge's HR Ball Gets a Huge Offer
Calif. auction house owner says he's willing to pay Cory Youmans $2M for the record-setting ball
- The fan who caught the ball from Aaron Judge's 62nd home run of the season—a slam that propelled the 30-year-old slugger for the New York Yankees into the record books, breaking Roger Maris' number for most home runs in a season for the American League—has a big...
Family Sues Little League Over
Son's Fall: 'He's Not Doing Well'
Sep 21, 2022 6:25 PM CDT
Family Sues Little League Over Son's Fall: 'He's Not Doing Well'
Easton Oliverson of Utah suffered a serious head injury
- A Utah boy who suffered a serious head injury after falling from a bunk bed during last month's Little League World Series in Pennsylvania has returned home from the hospital, and his family is suing the league and the company that made the bed. Easton Oliverson, 12, of St....
Reporter's Big Slide
Does Not End Well
Aug 18, 2022 2:13 PM CDT
Reporter's Big Slide Does Not End Well
Dodgers' reporter David Vassegh breaks 2 bones and cracks 6 ribs in Milwaukee
- A reporter for Los Angeles Dodgers' telecasts is getting more attention than he anticipated after going down the famous big slide at the Milwaukee Brewers' home field. David Vassegh's trip down mascot Bernie Brewer's slide went a little haywire at the end, resulting in two broken bones in...
In Era of 'Adult Incivility,'
Look to Little Leaguers
Aug 15, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
In Era of 'Adult Incivility,' Look to Little Leaguers
Jason Gay of 'WSJ' reflects on viral moment
- The moment went viral earlier this month, so there's a decent chance you've seen video of the Little League batter comforting the distraught pitcher who inadvertently hit him in the head with a pitch. If you haven't, or even if you have, Jason Gay of the
Ball to the Head,
Aug 10, 2022 9:30 AM CDT
Batter Takes Ball to the Head, Hugs Pitcher Responsible
Tears shed during touching moment of sportsmanship in Little League championship
- A Little League batter took a pitch to the helmet, which went flying, before dropping to the ground on Tuesday. Thankfully, Oklahoma's Isaiah Jarvis, 12, was soon back on his feet and embracing the pitcher who'd hit him. It was a touching moment, "helping to remind us...
Key to Every MLB Game: Mud
Sourced From a Secret Spot
Jul 31, 2022 9:15 AM CDT
Key to Every MLB Game: Mud Sourced From a Secret Spot
Inside the fascinating story of Lena Blackburne Baseball Rubbing Mud
- Every single major league baseball you've ever seen pitched, hit, or caught has had "mystical mud" rubbed into it. An MLB memo sent to teams last month specifies the precise way in which each brand-new ball should be mudded to make it grippable. And for decades, just a...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
UNLV Shooter Was a 67-Year-Old Professor: Sources
Celebs' Jilted Exes Are Now Dating Each Other
This Could Be Behind 'Mystery' Dog Illnesses
Deputy Killed in Police Chase of Senator's Son
Trump Sets in Motion Fight That May Go to Supreme Court
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.