Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
MLB Teams Sign a Bunch
of Players' Family Members
Jan 16, 2023 8:41 AM CST
MLB Teams Sign a Bunch of Players' Family Members
Among them: Padres sign Ethan Salas, younger bro of top Marlins prospect Jose Salas, for $5.6M
- The San Diego Padres signed 16-year-old catcher Ethan Salas of Caracas, Venezuela, to a $5.6 million bonus on Sunday, the first day of the international signing period. Salas is the consensus top overall prospect in this year's class. The left-handed hitter is the younger brother of Jose Salas,...
Days After Giants
Dec 25, 2022 10:32 AM CST
Days After Giants Ditch Superstar's Deal, Another Team Balks
Now the Mets are hesitating at signing Carlos Correa, apparently over his ankle
- The New York Mets and the agent for baseball star Carlos Correa are having discussions over the infielder’s physical—days after similar concerns from the San Francisco Giants led to the surprise collapse of their agreement with the shortstop, per the AP . The Mets have not yet finalized a...
He Was a Spitball Master,
Only Got Caught Once
Dec 1, 2022 2:03 PM CST
He Was a Spitball Master, Only Got Caught Once
Hall of Fame pitcher Gaylord Perry dies at 84
- Baseball Hall of Famer and two-time Cy Young Award winner Gaylord Perry, a master of the spitball who wrote a book about using the pitch, died Thursday at age 84. Perry died at his home in Gaffney, South Carolina, of natural causes, said Cherokee County Coroner Dennis Fowler, per the...
Houston Astros Win First
World Series Since
Nov 5, 2022 10:48 PM CDT
Houston Astros Win First World Series Since Cheating Scandal
They beat the Philadelphia Phillies 4-1 in game 6
- Yordan Alvarez hit a towering go-ahead homer and the Houston Astros clinched their second World Series title in six seasons, snagging Dusty Baker his first crown as a manager with a 4-1 win over the Philadelphia Phillies in Game 6 on Saturday night, the AP reports. As Alvarez's 450-foot...
If the Astros Win It All, He'll
Win a Staggering Amount
Nov 2, 2022 8:12 AM CDT
If the Astros Win It All, He'll Win a Staggering Amount
Jim McIngvale could walk away with the largest payout on a single legal sports bet
- The Phillies are up 2-1 in the World Series, and there's probably one American who's hoping more than most that the tides change: a prolific Texas gambler with a knack for attention-getting bets, who stands to win nearly $75 million if the Houston Astros win the World Series....
We Have a New
World Series Matchup
Oct 24, 2022 12:05 AM CDT
We Have a New World Series Matchup
Houston and Philly will meet in baseball's big game
- Bryce Harper and Kyle Schwarber breaking the Bank in Philly. Yordan Alvarez launching moonshots in H-Town. Dusty Baker trying for a most elusive win. Justin Verlander, too. A fired-up Harper and All-Stars JT Realmuto and Zack Wheeler, stepping onto baseball's biggest platform for the first time. Yo! The Philadelphia...
'Bizarre' Moment in
MLB Playoff Game
Leads to Cries of 'Cheater!'
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Oct 15, 2022 6:30 AM CDT
'Bizarre' Moment in MLB Playoff Game Leads to Cries of 'Cheater!'
San Diego Padres pitcher gets his ears checked at Mets manager's request
- With a magnificent performance on a memorable night in Padres history, Joe Musgrove brought this one home for San Diego and really stuck it to the New York Mets. The big right-hander brushed off chants of “Cheater!” after a bizarre spot check by umpires on the mound, pitching...
Fan Who Caught Judge's
HR Ball Gets a Huge Offer
Oct 6, 2022 9:00 AM CDT
Fan Who Caught Judge's HR Ball Gets a Huge Offer
Calif. auction house owner says he's willing to pay Cory Youmans $2M for the record-setting ball
- The fan who caught the ball from Aaron Judge's 62nd home run of the season—a slam that propelled the 30-year-old slugger for the New York Yankees into the record books, breaking Roger Maris' number for most home runs in a season for the American League—has a big...
Family Sues Little League Over
Son's Fall: 'He's Not Doing Well'
Sep 21, 2022 6:25 PM CDT
Family Sues Little League Over Son's Fall: 'He's Not Doing Well'
Easton Oliverson of Utah suffered a serious head injury
- A Utah boy who suffered a serious head injury after falling from a bunk bed during last month's Little League World Series in Pennsylvania has returned home from the hospital, and his family is suing the league and the company that made the bed. Easton Oliverson, 12, of St....
Reporter's Big Slide
Does Not End Well
Aug 18, 2022 2:13 PM CDT
Reporter's Big Slide Does Not End Well
Dodgers' reporter David Vassegh breaks 2 bones and cracks 6 ribs in Milwaukee
- A reporter for Los Angeles Dodgers' telecasts is getting more attention than he anticipated after going down the famous big slide at the Milwaukee Brewers' home field. David Vassegh's trip down mascot Bernie Brewer's slide went a little haywire at the end, resulting in two broken bones in...
In Era of 'Adult Incivility,'
Look to Little Leaguers
Aug 15, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
In Era of 'Adult Incivility,' Look to Little Leaguers
Jason Gay of 'WSJ' reflects on viral moment
- The moment went viral earlier this month, so there's a decent chance you've seen video of the Little League batter comforting the distraught pitcher who inadvertently hit him in the head with a pitch. If you haven't, or even if you have, Jason Gay of the
Ball to the Head,
Aug 10, 2022 9:30 AM CDT
Batter Takes Ball to the Head, Hugs Pitcher Responsible
Tears shed during touching moment of sportsmanship in Little League championship
- A Little League batter took a pitch to the helmet, which went flying, before dropping to the ground on Tuesday. Thankfully, Oklahoma's Isaiah Jarvis, 12, was soon back on his feet and embracing the pitcher who'd hit him. It was a touching moment, "helping to remind us...
Key to Every MLB Game: Mud
Sourced From a Secret Spot
Jul 31, 2022 9:15 AM CDT
Key to Every MLB Game: Mud Sourced From a Secret Spot
Inside the fascinating story of Lena Blackburne Baseball Rubbing Mud
- Every single major league baseball you've ever seen pitched, hit, or caught has had "mystical mud" rubbed into it. An MLB memo sent to teams last month specifies the precise way in which each brand-new ball should be mudded to make it grippable. And for decades, just a...
This Year's All-Star Game
Features a Rare Pairing
Jul 12, 2022 1:46 PM CDT
This Year's All-Star Game Features a Rare Pairing
2 brothers, the Contrerases, will start for the National League
- When Major League Baseball plays its annual All-Star Game on July 19, the National League's starting roster will feature a rare thing: two brothers. Willson Contreras of the Chicago Cubs is the catcher, while younger brother William Contreras of the Atlanta Braves is the team's designated hitter, reports...
'Something So Simple' Earns
Cheers for High School Athlete
Jun 16, 2022 7:31 AM CDT
'Something So Simple' Earns Cheers for High School Athlete
After a heartbreaking loss, this Va. baseball catcher's handshake with ump went viral
- Ask catcher Eric Fila and he'll shrug off his post-loss handshake with the umpire as no big deal. But a video of his gesture now has nearly a million views and is earning the high school baseball player from Virginia pats on the back for his sportsmanship in the...
Mets Fan Makes Truly Wild
Jun 1, 2022 1:20 PM CDT
Mets Fan Makes Truly Wild One-Handed Catch
Alan Alcantara had his toddler in his other hand
- To catch a home-run ball barehanded is impressive enough, but try holding a small child at the same time. A New York Mets fan managed that feat, leading Fox Sports to dub it the "catch of the year, no question about it." Queens resident Alan Alcantara was in...
Takes a Stand
May 28, 2022 8:30 AM CDT
SF Giants Manager Takes a Stand After Uvalde
Gabe Kapler: I won't come out for national anthem till 'I feel ... better about the direction of our country'
- In the wake of the Uvalde mass shooting , the sports world is weighing in. Now joining Golden State Warriors coach Steve Kerr , the Miami Heat , and the New York Yankees and Tampa Bay Rays in speaking out is San Francisco Giants manager Gabe Kapler, who says he's not going...
During MLB Matchup, a
Most Unusual Twitter Stream
May 27, 2022 10:20 AM CDT
During MLB Matchup, a Most Unusual Twitter Stream
During Thursday's game between Yankees, Rays, teams live-tweeted stats on gun violence
- MLB fans looking to keep up with the game Thursday night between the New York Yankees and Tampa Bay Rays got quite the surprise when they logged on to Twitter. Instead of stats and play-by-plays, the two teams instead used their accounts to tweet out facts on gun violence. In...
After Viral On-Field
Confrontation, 2 Suspensions
in case you missed it
Apr 24, 2022 12:35 PM CDT
After Viral On-Field Confrontation, 2 Suspensions
Owen Woodward of Texas' Weatherford College tackled Josh Phillips after home run
A college pitcher has been suspended four games for acting more like a football player than a baseball player during a game. Owen Woodward of Weatherford College in Texas tackled an opposing player on the base path after the player hit a home run off him, reports Yahoo Sports...
Has Never Seen
Mar 25, 2022 4:35 PM CDT
Pro Baseball Has Never Seen Another Like Alexis Hopkins
Team picks a female catcher in the Atlantic League draft
- In what the Atlantic League is promoting as "the best story in sports," the Kentucky Wild Health Genomes made history Wednesday by drafting catcher Alexis "Scrappy" Hopkins with the eighth overall pick in the league's annual draft. CNN notes that the Atlantic is a partner league...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
China Responds to Balloon Hit, but Its Options Are Limited
Missing Missouri Children Found in Florida Supermarket
Hashtag 'Died Suddenly' Is Up 740% in 2 Months
Watch Fighter Jet Take Down China's Balloon
Women Are Suffering Unnecessarily From Menopause
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.