Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Standing Between Sarah Palin
and Congress: Santa Claus
Apr 27, 2022 11:05 AM CDT
Standing Between Sarah Palin and Congress: Santa Claus
Bernie Sanders supporter from North Pole, Alaska, wants to 'legislate for greater good'
- If Sarah Palin wants a seat in Congress , she'll first have to get past Santa Claus. That's the legal name of a city council member in—where else?—North Pole, Alaska, who's one of almost 50 people battling Palin for the state's only congressional seat. As...
Bishop's Diocese Apologizes
After He Freaks Out Kids
Dec 11, 2021 11:15 AM CST
Bishop's Diocese Apologizes After He Freaks Out Kids
Parents were horrified when he told children Santa doesn't exist
- A Roman Catholic diocese in Sicily publicly apologized to outraged parents after its bishop told a group of children that Santa Claus doesn’t exist. In a Facebook post and subsequent comments Friday, the diocese of Noto insisted that Bishop Antonio Stagliano didn’t mean to dash the dreams of...
'Black Pete' at Holiday Event
Nov 13, 2021 9:15 AM CST
Protesters Confront 'Black Pete' at Holiday Event
Demonstrations have gone on for a decade against controversial Dutch sidekick to Santa
- About 100 anti-racism protesters chanted "Kick out Black Pete!" on Saturday at an event where children could meet the Dutch version of Santa Claus and his controversial sidekick. The "Black Pete" character, often played by adults wearing blackface makeup, has sparked a decade of demonstrations and counterdemonstrations...
27 Dead After 'Completely
Irresponsible' Santa Visit
Jan 1, 2021 1:00 PM CST
27 Dead After 'Completely Irresponsible' Santa Visit
Residents at Belgian nursing home were seen in pics not wearing masks during holiday event
- Authorities in Belgium say a 27th elderly person has died in an outbreak at a nursing home from a superspreading St. Nick party last month, but they hope the situation is now under control. The Hemelrijck home in the northern Belgium city of Mol had organized an early December visit...
'Santa' Gets Stuck
in Power Lines
Dec 21, 2020 4:39 PM CST
'Santa' Gets Stuck in Power Lines
Firefighters say he was rescued 'full of good cheer'
- Santa found himself a little more tied up than usual this time of year. A northern California man impersonating Santa Claus and flying on a powered parachute was rescued Sunday after he became entangled in power lines, authorities said. The incident happened shortly after the man took off near a...
Dec 15, 2020 12:29 PM CST
Bad News: The 'Clauses' Have COVID
Santa at Georgia parade and his 'wife' tested positive, may have exposed dozens of kids
- You might want to leave some Purell out with the milk and cookies and go to bed wearing your mask on Christmas Eve, because Santa's got COVID. Well, not the real Santa, but the actor who played him at two holiday events in Ludowici, Ga., as well as the...
Mall Santa Allegedly
Exposes Himself to
Teen in Breakroom
Dec 10, 2020 12:01 AM CST
Mall Santa Allegedly Exposes Himself to Teen in Breakroom
In another incident, a Santa refused a boy's Nerf gun request.
- Police in Milford, Conn., arrested a mall Santa on Monday for allegedly exposing himself to a teenaged co-worker. Prince Carter, 45, faces charges of fourth-degree sexual assault and risk of injury to a minor, per the
. Carter is said to have grabbed and hugged the teen during the...
Ireland Declares Santa
an Essential Worker
Nov 26, 2020 12:00 PM CST
Ireland Declares Santa an Essential Worker
But to maintain social distance, children shouldn't stay up waiting for him
- With 29 days to go until Christmas, Ireland has reassured worried children that COVID restrictions won't stop Santa Claus. Simon Coveny, the country's minister for foreign affairs, confirmed Thursday that Santa's travels will be classed as "essential travel for essential purpose," the
Feds Scrap Plan for
Santa to Promote Vaccine
Oct 26, 2020 12:00 PM CDT
Feds Scrap Plan for Santa to Promote Vaccine
Santas, helpers would have received vaccine early
- Santa and his helpers will no longer be among the first in line for a coronavirus vaccine. The Department of Health and Human Services has scrapped a plan to have Santa Clauses in dozens of cities promote the benefits of vaccination in return for early access to a vaccine, the...
Cold War Concern
for Santa Included
in JFK Exhibit
Dec 25, 2019 9:31 AM CST
Cold War Concern for Santa Included in JFK Exhibit
Russian bombing threat worried president and an 8-year-old girl
- In the throes of the Cold War, the Soviet Union was planning to test a massive nuclear bomb in the Arctic Circle. But in a letter to then-President John F. Kennedy, a young Michigan girl was most concerned about the North Pole's most famous resident. "Please stop the...
Want to Stalk Santa? Here's
Where He's at Right Now
Dec 24, 2019 7:25 AM CST
Want to Stalk Santa? Here's Where He's at Right Now
Fire up NORAD's Santa Tracker to keep tabs on the bearded one
- "He's on his way" can sound ominous without context, but for millions of kids around the world on Christmas Eve, those words are gold. CNN reports that the North American Aerospace Defense Command's Santa Tracker is officially up and running, keeping tabs on where jolly old St....
Sue Over Walmart's
Cocaine Santa Sweater
Dec 12, 2019 7:35 AM CST
Colombia May Sue Over Walmart's Cocaine Santa Sweater
Government agency wants monetary damages for affront
- A Colombian government agency is demanding money and an apology from Walmart after it offered a Christmas sweater appearing to show Santa with three lines of "Colombian" cocaine. "Santa really likes to savor the moment when he gets his hands on some quality, grade A, Colombian snow,"...
Walmart's 'Ugly' Xmas Sweaters
Just Took It to the Next Level
Dec 9, 2019 8:21 AM CST
Walmart's 'Ugly' Xmas Sweaters Just Took It to the Next Level
Attire showing Santa doing blow, getting whipped by Mrs. Claus have been taken off site
- If a sweater showing Santa doing lines of coke or getting whipped by Mrs. Claus was on your Christmas wish list, they just got a little harder to find. Walmart Canada is on Santa's naughty list after it posted several "ugly" Christmas sweaters for sale on its website,...
'Out of Her Mind'
With Christmas List
Nov 20, 2019 11:10 AM CST
Dad: 10-Year-Old 'Out of Her Mind' With Christmas List
She wants $4K, plus a lot of other stuff
- One 10-year-old girl's Christmas list is being labeled " most extravagant ," " lavish ," and " one of the strangest gift lists any child has ever assembled," among other slightly less benevolent descriptors . The list went viral after the kid's father shared it on Twitter last...
Irate Patrons: Harrods Is 'the
Grinch Who Stole Christmas'
Nov 12, 2019 9:35 AM CST
Irate Patrons: Harrods Is 'the Grinch Who Stole Christmas'
Customers are miffed that only big spenders can visit the store's Christmas Grotto
- Starting on Friday, Harrod's department store in London will open the doors to its Christmas Grotto, a "snow-covered woodland filled with sparkling surprises that will leave little ones mesmerized" through Christmas Eve, including a visit with Father Christmas himself. But those little ones will need caretakers with fat...
For Kid Trump
Talked to, Santa
Is Not 'Marginal'
Dec 26, 2018 5:21 AM CST
For Kid Trump Talked to, Santa Is Not 'Marginal'
7-year-old Collman Lloyd didn't know what 'marginal' meant, left cookies and milk for Santa
- A 7-year-old girl who talked to President Trump on Christmas Eve still left out milk and cookies for Santa despite the president telling her it was "marginal" for a child of her age to still believe. Then again, Collman Lloyd of Lexington, SC, says she had never heard the...
Trump Tells Kid Believing
in Santa at 7 Is 'Marginal'
Dec 25, 2018 6:06 AM CST
Trump Tells Kid Believing in Santa at 7 Is 'Marginal'
And he's right, notes the 'New York Times'
- President Trump and first lady Melania Trump took calls from children anxious to find out where Santa is on his gift-giving journey, reports the AP . In one conversation, Trump asked a 7-year-old named Collman, "Are you still a believer in Santa?" He listened for a moment before adding, "...
JFK to Girl Afraid for Santa:
'I Talked With Him... He is Fine'
Dec 24, 2018 4:15 PM CST
JFK to Girl Afraid for Santa: 'I Talked With Him... He is Fine'
The former president told a girl during the Cold War that Russian nukes won't harm St. Nick
- A little girl who feared for the safety of Santa Claus amid reports of Russian nuclear testing in the North Pole voiced her concern all the way to President Kennedy in 1961 and, astonishingly, got a personal response that would make her a viral sensation of her day. Per The...
Shutdown Won't Stop
NORAD Santa Tracker
Dec 24, 2018 6:59 AM CST
Shutdown Won't Stop NORAD Santa Tracker
Tradition started with a typo in 1955
- It would take more than a partial government shutdown to stop the North American Aerospace Defense Command delivering its updates on Santa's progress on Christmas Eve. The military says the NORAD Tracks Santa operation from the joint US-Canadian command will proceed as normal this year because it is run...
Ho Ho No: Santa Claus
Flips Out at Group of Kids
Dec 13, 2018 7:18 PM CST
Ho Ho No: Santa Claus Flips Out at Group of Kids
Jolly old St. Nick lost it when fire alarm went off, evacuating his 'grotto'
- "Santa Claus" went on a decidedly un-merry rant in England on Sunday, yelling and cursing at children at a local nonprofit group's event. The event, billed as a chance for kids to meet Santa, took place in the same building as an unrelated family-friendly rave, the
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Longtime ESPN Journalist Comes Out as Transgender
Illinois Has a New Name for 'Delicious' Invasive Species
Her Photo Was Used for Story About 'Fat' Women. Now She's Suing
Cops Can't Find Mom, Kids Who Were Staying With Flash Star
They Were Barred From Guarding Chauvin, Just Got $1.5M
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.