Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Queen Elizabeth II
Stories 1 - 20 |
On Anniversary of Death, King
Shares Unreleased Queen Pic
Sep 8, 2023 10:59 AM CDT
On Anniversary of Death, King Shares Unreleased Queen Pic
Charles III, Queen Camilla also held prayer service for Elizabeth II near Balmoral
- Friday marks one year since the death of Queen Elizabeth II , and the royal family has circulated a never-before-released portrait of the late monarch in commemoration. "We recall with great affection her long life, devoted service, and all she meant to so many of us," King Charles III...
Well, the World Now
Has a $23M Coin
Sep 5, 2023 1:00 PM CDT
Well, the World Now Has a $23M Coin
The East India Company pays a very glitzy tribute to the late Queen Elizabeth II
- If you're Abraham Lincoln, Thomas Jefferson, Franklin D. Roosevelt, George Washington, John F. Kennedy, and Sacagawea, the United States of America will put your faces on coins worth a grand total of $1.91 for your role in the country's history. The US' former British overlords do things...
Corgis Lead Tribute to Queen
Sep 3, 2023 10:40 AM CDT
Corgis Lead Tribute to Queen
Elizabeth owned about 30 in her lifetime
- Royal fans and their pet corgis gathered outside Buckingham Palace on Sunday to remember Britain's Queen Elizabeth II, a year after her death. Around 20 corgi enthusiasts dressed up their pets in crowns, tiaras, and royal outfits and paraded them outside the palace in central London to pay tribute...
Plot to Kill Queen
Jul 6, 2023 7:54 AM CDT
Prosecutor: Intruder's Plot to Kill Queen Inspired by
'My name is Darth Jones,' Jaswant Singh Chail says in video shown in court
- A man that police say tried to break into Windsor Castle in 2021 to kill Queen Elizabeth II got the idea in part from the
franchise, and was subsequently egged on in his plan by a chatbot, a UK court heard this week. At a sentencing hearing Wednesday...
FBI Releases Files on
Threat to Assassinate Queen
May 26, 2023 7:11 AM CDT
FBI Releases Files on Threat to Assassinate Queen
San Francisco man allegedly wanted revenge for daughter's death in Northern Ireland
- The FBI has released some of its files on Queen Elizabeth II's travels to the US—including details of an alleged assassination plot during her 1983 visit. The files state that the FBI received a call from a man who said someone he knew from an Irish club frequented...
King Asks Harry, Meghan
to Vacate UK Property
Mar 1, 2023 4:58 PM CST
King Asks Harry, Meghan to Vacate UK Property
Queen had let the couple live in Frogmore Cottage before the move to California
- Britain's King Charles wants his house back. His son, Prince Harry, and his wife, Meghan, have been asked to vacate Frogmore Cottage, the BBC reports. Buckingham Palace issued no comment, but a spokesperson for Harry and Meghan confirmed the eviction. The late Queen Elizabeth II, Harry's grandmother, gave...
Camilla Won't Wear
Feb 15, 2023 7:15 PM CST
Camilla Won't Wear Controversial Crown at Coronation
The Kohinoor will stay out of the spotlight
- A potential diplomatic row has been avoided. The BBC reports Camilla, queen consort, will not wear the crown containing the Kohinoor (or Koh-i-Noor) diamond—which India has argued it should have ownership of—when she is crowned alongside King Charles III in May. That diamond is part of the crown...
Harry: William Screaming
at Me Was 'Terrifying'
Dec 15, 2022 6:40 AM CST
Harry: William Screaming at Me Was 'Terrifying'
And Meghan describes being 'fed to the wolves,' in final 3 episodes of Netflix's 'Harry & Meghan'
- If there were any hopes that Netflix's
Harry & Meghan
would somehow reconcile Prince Harry and Prince William, those hopes were further dashed Thursday with the release of the final three installments of the six-episode series. Per CNBC , the fifth episode delves into what's described as an "...
These 2 Photos Were
Taken Only 7 Weeks Apart
Oct 25, 2022 10:35 AM CDT
These 2 Photos Were Taken Only 7 Weeks Apart
A lot has happened in Britain in the interim
- They're two photos taken exactly seven weeks apart, capturing the traditional and ceremonial rites of the monarch meeting the British prime minister-in-waiting to ask them to form a new government. They're also bookends, per the AP . Between the taking of the first and of the second, much elapsed,...
Cause of Death
Sep 29, 2022 12:33 PM CDT
Queen's 2-Word Cause of Death Is Released
You can probably guess it
- A final footnote on the death of Queen Elizabeth: The 96-year-old monarch's official cause of death has been revealed to be "old age," reports
. Her occupation, as listed on the death certificate released by the National Record of Scotland, is "Her Majesty the Queen,"...
After Queen's Funeral,
Another Queen Has COVID
Sep 21, 2022 2:10 PM CDT
After Queen's Funeral, Another Queen Has COVID
Denmark's Queen Margrethe tested positive the day after London funeral
- Denmark's Queen Margrethe II tested positive for COVID-19 the day after she attended Queen Elizabeth II's state funeral in London, the palace says. The 82-year-old, who became Europe's longest-serving monarch after the death of the British queen, was one of around 2,000 guests at the Westminster...
Hong Kong Arrests
'Seditious' Harmonica Player
Sep 20, 2022 3:06 PM CDT
Hong Kong Arrests 'Seditious' Harmonica Player
He played British national anthem, protest song to crowd gathered to mourn queen
- As Hong Kongers gathered outside the British consulate Monday night to pay their respects to Queen Elizabeth II, a man was arrested for allegedly seditious harmonica playing. The man played songs including the British national anthem and the unofficial protest anthem Glory to Hong Kong to the crowd as the...
Queen Laid to Rest
Next to Husband
Sep 19, 2022 7:40 PM CDT
Queen Laid to Rest Next to Husband
'Deeply personal family occasion' caps Britain's 10 days of mourning
- After the pomp and pageantry of a grand state funeral , Queen Elizabeth II was laid to rest in an intimate ceremony away from prying cameras in Windsor, where she was reunited with her husband and her parents. King Charles III and senior royal family members gathered late Monday for the...
Some of the Weirder
Stories From the Royal Funeral
Sep 19, 2022 2:47 PM CDT
Some of the Weirder Stories From the Royal Funeral
A spider and a dropped piece of paper went big on the internet
- The queen's funeral on Monday drew all kinds of somber and serious coverage. And there there were stories that were anything but:
A bishop dropped a small piece of paper near the queen's coffin in Westminster Abbey and Twitter all but erupted with the possibilities (and
UK Channel Showed Terrible
Film Instead of Queen's Funeral
Sep 19, 2022 11:43 AM CDT
UK Channel Showed Terrible Film Instead of Queen's Funeral
Channel 5 decided abysmally rated 'Emoji Movie' would be a good substitute for royal coverage
- Although it was expected that almost every channel in the UK would air some kind of coverage about Queen Elizabeth II on Monday, offering a look at her funeral or her life in general, EW.com notes it also "makes sense" that Channel 5 decided to opt out of...
Charles Leaves Note
Atop Queen's Coffin
Sep 19, 2022 6:25 AM CDT
Charles Leaves Note Atop Queen's Coffin
London pauses for funeral of Elizabeth II
- Britain and the world said a final goodbye to Queen Elizabeth II at a state funeral Monday that drew presidents and kings, princes, and prime ministers—and crowds who massed along the streets of London to honor a monarch whose 70-year reign defined an age, per the AP .
In London, Biden
Praises the Queen
Sep 18, 2022 5:15 PM CDT
In London, Biden Praises the Queen
Elizabeth was 'all about service,' president says before event for world leaders
- Queen Elizabeth II "was the same in person as her image: decent, honorable and all about service," President Biden told reporters in London after signing a condolence book Sunday evening. "Our hearts go out to the royal family, King Charles and all of the family," he...
In Hong Kong, Mourning
Queen Doubles as Dissent
Sep 18, 2022 12:30 PM CDT
In Hong Kong, Mourning Queen Doubles as Dissent
People have been lining up for hours to pay their respects to 'boss lady'
- Hundreds of Hong Kong residents are lining up in front of the British Consulate General for hours each day to pay their respects to Queen Elizabeth II, leaving piles of flowers and handwritten notes. The collective outpouring of grief after her death on Sept. 8 is perhaps the most ardent...
Street Drains Being Sealed
Ahead of Queen's Funeral
Sep 18, 2022 7:01 AM CDT
Street Drains Being Sealed Ahead of Queen's Funeral
It's just one of many security measures being taken
- The funeral of the only monarch most Britons have known involves the biggest security operation London has ever seen. Mayor Sadiq Khan says Monday’s state funeral for Queen Elizabeth II is an “unprecedented" security challenge, with hundreds of thousands of people packing central London and a funeral guest...
All 8 Grandchildren Keep Vigil
Sep 17, 2022 5:10 PM CDT
All 8 Grandchildren Keep Vigil
Prince William leads family procession in honor of Queen Elizabeth
- Queen Elizabeth's grandchildren came together Saturday for a vigil at the side of their grandmother's coffin at Westminster Hall in London. The eight cousins and siblings entered in a procession led by Prince William,
reports. They took places around the coffin, with William at its head and...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
16-Year-Old Arrested After Felling of Iconic Tree
Trump's Comment Sparks Steps by Milley
Dianne Feinstein Is Dead at 90
House Approves Amendment to Make Defense Secretary's Salary $1
27 Years After Tupac Shakur Killing, a Murder Charge
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.