King Asks Harry, Meghan to Vacate UK Property

Queen had let the couple live in Frogmore Cottage before the move to California
By Bob Cronin,  Newser Staff
Posted Mar 1, 2023 4:58 PM CST
King Asks Harry, Meghan to Vacate UK Property
Frogmore Cottage in January 2020.   (Steve Parsons/PA via AP, file)

Britain's King Charles wants his house back. His son, Prince Harry, and his wife, Meghan, have been asked to vacate Frogmore Cottage, the BBC reports. Buckingham Palace issued no comment, but a spokesperson for Harry and Meghan confirmed the eviction. The late Queen Elizabeth II, Harry's grandmother, gave the couple the right to live in the house, which is owned by the Crown Estate and controlled by the monarch. The 10-bedroom house is on the grounds of Windsor Castle. It was their only residence in the UK; the couple now live in California.

Charles has other plans for Frogmore, per the Sun, which reported that the king wants his younger brother, Prince Andrew, to live in it. Andrew doesn't like the idea of being evicted from the much grander Royal Lodge, where he lives with his ex-wife, Sarah Ferguson, and the late queen's corgis, per the tabloid. Harry and Meghan spent $3.2 million in public money to refurbish Frogmore, then paid the money back. The eviction notice reportedly was delivered days after Harry's book critical of his family was released in January. The queen removed Andrew's titles while he was facing sexual assault allegations, and Charles took away his Buckingham Palace office in December. (More Prince Harry stories.)

Get the news faster.
Tap to install our app.
Install the Newser News app
in two easy steps:
1. Tap in your navigation bar.
2. Tap to Add to Home Screen.