Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Jul 14, 2023 12:19 PM CDT
House OKs Defense Bill With Eyebrow- Raising Extras
Add-ons in annual legislation include restrictions on abortion, transgender health care, diversity training
- The US House on Friday approved a sweeping annual defense bill that provides an expected 5.2% pay raise for service members but strays from traditional military policy with political add-ons from Republicans to block abortion coverage, diversity initiatives at the Pentagon, and transgender issues that deeply divided the chamber....
Abortion Will Soon Be
Essentially Banned in Iowa
Jul 12, 2023 1:30 AM CDT
Abortion Will Soon Be Essentially Banned in Iowa
Republicans pass 'heartbeat' bill governor has promised to sign
- Iowa's Republican-led Legislature passed a bill banning most abortions after roughly six weeks of pregnancy during a marathon special session Tuesday that continued late into the night. Gov. Kim Reynolds immediately said in a statement she would sign the bill on Friday, the AP reports. The bill passed with...
In Ohio, a 'Huge Step Forward'
for Abortion Access
Jul 6, 2023 12:32 PM CDT
In Ohio, a 'Huge Step Forward' for Abortion Access
Abortion rights advocates submit nearly double the number of signatures needed to get on ballot
- Groups hoping to enshrine abortion rights in Ohio's Constitution delivered nearly double the number of signatures needed to place an amendment on the statewide ballot this fall, aiming to signal sweeping widespread support for an issue that still faces the threat of needing a significantly increased victory margin. Ohioans...
Man Who Raped, Impregnated
Ohio 10-Year-Old Sentenced
Jul 5, 2023 5:35 PM CDT
Man Who Raped, Impregnated Ohio 10-Year-Old Sentenced
Gerson Fuentes' victim had to travel to Indiana for abortion
- An Ohio man who raped his girlfriend's young daughter, causing the 10-year-old to seek an abortion in Indiana in a case that made national headlines, has been sentenced to life in prison with the possibility of parole after 25 years. Gerson Fuentes, a 28-year-old Guatemalan national, pleaded guilty to...
on College Campuses
Now Offer Plan B
Jul 3, 2023 8:13 AM CDT
Vending Machines on College Campuses Now Offer Plan B
They're a push post-Roe to ensure college students have access to affordable, discreet contraception
- Need Plan B? Tap your credit card and enter "B6." Since last November, a library at the University of Washington has featured a different kind of vending machine, one that's become more popular on campuses around the country since the US Supreme Court ended constitutional protections for...
Google Got $10M for
'Deceptive' Abortion Ads
Jun 15, 2023 8:19 AM CDT
Google Got $10M for 'Deceptive' Abortion Ads
Ads directed searchers to centers that 'shame those seeking abortions,' per report
- People who use Google to search for "abortion pill" and "abortion clinic near me" are instead shown advertisements for crisis pregnancy centers whose goal is to dissuade individuals from accessing abortion. Over two years, Google accepted $10.2 million from anti-abortion groups to post such advertisements alongside legitimate...
May 26, 2023 1:00 PM CDT
South Carolina Judge Halts 6-Week Abortion Ban
Ban reverts back to 20 weeks until state Supreme Court can review law, per Judge Clifton Newman
- A judge on Friday put a temporary halt to South Carolina's new law banning most abortions around six weeks of pregnancy until the state Supreme Court can review the measure. The ruling by Judge Clifton Newman came just about 24 hours after Gov. Henry McMaster signed the bill. The...
Board Votes to Reprimand
10-Year-Old's Abortion Doctor
May 26, 2023 9:17 AM CDT
Board Votes to Reprimand 10-Year-Old's Abortion Doctor
But Indiana board won't suspend Caitlin Bernard's license to practice medicine
- Indiana's Medical Licensing Board has ruled that a doctor who performed an abortion on a 10-year-old Ohio girl can continue practicing medicine—but she will be reprimanded for what the board decided was a breach of privacy law. Dr. Caitlin Bernard will be fined $3,000, but the board...
College Prof Fired After
Confrontation With Journalists
May 24, 2023 3:07 PM CDT
College Prof Fired After Confrontation With Journalists
Hunter College's Shellyne Rodriguez chased after 'New York Post' reporter, photog with machete
- Hunter College adjunct professor Shellyne Rodriguez was initially embroiled in controversy over a viral video showing her cursing at anti-abortion students. But all that was overshadowed Tuesday when the 45-year-old was captured in another video chasing journalists with a machete. A reporter and photographer from the
New York Post
GOP 'Sister Senators' of SC
Vote Against Abortion Ban
May 24, 2023 1:30 AM CDT
GOP 'Sister Senators' of SC Vote Against Abortion Ban
But South Carolina Senate passes 6-week abortion ban all the same
- Abortion is currently legal in South Carolina until 22 weeks of pregnancy, but that window is set to sharply narrow. The state's Republican-led Senate passed a bill on Tuesday that would ban abortions at the earliest sign of cardiac activity, which typically happens around six weeks; most people are...
Appeals Court Looks Poised
to Block Abortion Pill Access
May 18, 2023 8:25 AM CDT
Appeals Court Looks Poised to Block Abortion Pill Access
Three-judge panel appears sympathetic to arguments from challengers of mifepristone
- Federal judges to rule on nationwide access to abortion pill mifepristone seem poised to "side with a lower court decision to block access to the drug," CNN reports. The judges of the 5th US Circuit Court of Appeals in Louisiana heard arguments from the Justice Department and drugmaker...
DeSantis, Trump Disagree
on Florida Abortion Ban
May 17, 2023 2:30 AM CDT
DeSantis, Trump Disagree on Florida Abortion Ban
Trump says even pro-lifers think it's 'harsh,' DeSantis hits back
- Ron DeSantis and Donald Trump are publicly disagreeing once again. In an interview with digital news startup The Messenger published Monday, Trump said Florida's six-week abortion ban, which has not yet taken effect, may have gone too far even for some on the right. "If you look at...
Cops: Man Gunned Down
Girlfriend Over Abortion
May 13, 2023 5:30 AM CDT
Cops: Man Gunned Down Girlfriend Over Abortion
Dallas police say Harold Thompson was angry that Gabriella Gonzalez had procedure in Colorado
- A man who didn't want his girlfriend to get an abortion fatally shot her during a confrontation in a Dallas parking lot, police said. He was jailed on a murder charge as of Friday. Gabriella Gonzalez, 26, was with her boyfriend, 22-year-old Harold Thompson, on Wednesday when he tried...
Deflected Abortion Question
May 11, 2023 8:44 AM CDT
Trump Repeatedly Deflected Abortion Question
Former president was proud of overturning Roe v. Wade, but wouldn't answer on federal abortion ban
- Former President Trump said he was the mastermind behind overturning Roe v. Wade during CNN's town hall Wednesday while refusing to say whether he would institute a federal abortion ban if he returns to the presidency. Five separate times , moderator Kaitlan Collins asked him directly if he would sign...
GOP Pol Slams Own
Leader for 'Taking Us
Off a Cliff' on Abortion
Apr 29, 2023 8:30 AM CDT
GOP Pol Slams Own Leader for 'Taking Us Off a Cliff' on Abortion
Abortion bans in red states of South Carolina, Nebraska fall short in votes
- Abortion bans in Nebraska and South Carolina fell short of advancing in close votes amid heated debates among Republicans, confounding conservatives who've dominated both legislatures and further exposing the chasm on the issue of abortion within the GOP. In Nebraska, where abortion is banned after 20 weeks of pregnancy,...
Supreme Court Keeps
Apr 21, 2023 5:58 PM CDT
Supreme Court Keeps Mifepristone Available
Thomas, Alito dissent on blocking ruling against abortion pill during appeal
- The Supreme Court on Friday preserved for now women's access to a drug used in the most common method of abortion, rejecting lower-court restrictions while the legal battle continues. The justices granted emergency requests from the Biden administration and Danco Laboratories, maker of mifepristone, the AP reports. They are...
DOJ Appeals Abortion Pill
Ruling to Supreme Court
Apr 13, 2023 1:38 PM CDT
DOJ Appeals Abortion Pill Ruling to Supreme Court
Garland announces request for emergency relief restoring full access to mifepristone
- The Justice Department has announced it will not settle for the limited access to the abortion drug mifepristone that was restored late Wednesday by a federal appeals court. Attorney General Merrick Garland said the Justice Department "strongly disagrees" with the ruling, per ABC News , in announcing Thursday that the...
Abortion Pill Fight at SCOTUS
May Be 'Boundary Testing'
Apr 11, 2023 9:55 AM CDT
Abortion Pill Fight at SCOTUS May Be 'Boundary Testing'
Legal experts say even conservative judges will see reason to pause
- An attorney for abortion pill distributor Danco Laboratories says the company will appeal to the Supreme Court if the US 5th Circuit Court of Appeals doesn't block a Texas judge's decision to reverse FDA approval of mifepristone. It's an "unprecedented judicial assault on a careful regulatory...
Fate Uncertain as
Judges Face Off
Apr 8, 2023 5:30 AM CDT
Abortion Pill's Fate Uncertain as Judges Face Off
Texas' Kacsmaryk orders hold on mifepristone access, Washington's Rice orders the opposite
- Access to the most commonly used method of abortion in the US plunged into uncertainty Friday following conflicting court rulings over the legality of the abortion medication mifepristone that has been widely available for more than 20 years. For now, the drug that the Food and Drug Administration approved in...
Idaho Governor Signs
'Abortion Trafficking' Bill
Apr 6, 2023 12:51 PM CDT
Idaho Governor Signs 'Abortion Trafficking' Bill
First-of-its-kind law bans adults from helping minors get abortions without parents' consent
- Idaho Gov. Brad Little signed a bill into law Wednesday that makes it illegal for an adult to help a minor get an abortion without parental consent. The law is the first of its kind in the US and creates a new crime of "abortion trafficking," barring adults...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
Leaning Tower Shuttered Last Month Now on 'High Alert'
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
Bad News Part II for Trump on Legal Front
Doritos Has Solved the Issue of Crunching
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.