Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Jan 21, 2023 6:30 AM CST
Women Buying Abortion Pills Online Have Another Worry
ProPublica finds that pharmacies are sharing data that could wind up in hands of prosecutors
- Third-party trackers are a common nuisance for anyone who buys something online. But a ProPublica investigation has found that women who buy abortion pills on the internet face the possibility of more than a nuisance—they might get prosecuted. The outlet discovered that at least nine online pharmacies that sell...
State's AG Wants to Go After
Women Who Take Abortion Pills
Jan 11, 2023 8:51 AM CST
State's AG Wants to Go After Women Who Take Abortion Pills
Despite an Alabama law protecting them, thanks to an older law on chemical endangerment of kids
- Last week, the Food and Drug Administration shifted its rules to allow pharmacies to dispense both mifepristone and misoprostol, drugs used for medication abortions. In theory, women who take advantage of this change and use the drugs for an abortion wouldn't have to fear prosecution under Alabama's new...
On the Same Day,
2 Big Abortion Decisions
Jan 6, 2023 1:10 AM CST
On the Same Day, 2 Big Abortion Decisions
In South Carolina, a win for abortion rights supporters; in Idaho, a loss
- The South Carolina Supreme Court on Thursday struck down a ban on abortion after six weeks, ruling the restriction enacted by the Deep South state violates a state constitutional right to privacy, the AP reports. The decision marked a significant victory for abortion rights' advocates suddenly forced to find safeguards...
For Those Seeking Abortion,
This Is a 'Game Changer'
Jan 4, 2023 7:41 AM CST
For Those Seeking Abortion, This Is a 'Game Changer'
FDA finalizes rule change allowing certified pharmacies to dispense abortion pill mifepristone
- The FDA on Tuesday approved a rule change allowing retail pharmacies to dispense the abortion pill mifepristone—providing more options for residents of states where abortion pills are allowed and for those able to travel out of states where abortion is restricted. The Biden administration broadened access to the drug...
Planned Parenthood Makes
Big Abortion Move in Kansas
Dec 21, 2022 5:47 AM CST
Planned Parenthood Makes Big Abortion Move in Kansas
Patients are now offered telemedicine abortions out of Wichita clinic, with plans to expand
- A Planned Parenthood affiliate announced Tuesday that it has started teleconferences with off-site doctors for patients seeking medication abortions at one of its Kansas clinics, a small step toward potentially much broader access in a state that has become a destination for the procedure after an August vote affirming abortion...
Dec 18, 2022 10:15 AM CST
Vatican Defrocks American Priest
Frank Pavone once placed an aborted fetus on the altar
- The Vatican has defrocked an anti-abortion US priest, Frank Pavone, for what it said were “blasphemous communications on social media” as well as “persistent disobedience” of his bishop, per the AP . A letter to US bishops from the Vatican ambassador to the US said that the decision against...
Seeks to Punish
Child Rape Victim's
Dec 1, 2022 9:40 AM CST
Indiana AG Seeks to Punish Child Rape Victim's Abortion Doctor
Todd Rokita's office says Dr. Caitlin Bernard should have reported Ohio girl's case to authorities
- Indiana's Republican attorney general on Wednesday asked the state medical licensing board to discipline an Indianapolis doctor who has spoken publicly about providing an abortion to a 10-year-old rape victim who traveled from Ohio after its more-restrictive abortion law took effect. The complaint alleges Dr. Caitlin Bernard violated state...
Georgia's Abortion Ban, Found
to Be Invalid, Is Back in Place
Nov 24, 2022 7:25 AM CST
Georgia's Abortion Ban, Found to Be Invalid, Is Back in Place
State Supreme Court reinstates ban days after lower court ruling found law to be invalid
- The Georgia Supreme Court on Wednesday reinstated the state's ban on abortions after roughly six weeks of pregnancy, abruptly ending access to later abortions that had resumed days earlier . In a one-page order, the justices put a lower court ruling overturning the ban on hold while they consider an...
Herschel Walker Gets
Nov 23, 2022 7:11 AM CST
Herschel Walker Gets 'Erection' Trending
Georgia Senate candidate said 'erection' instead of 'election' as abortion allegations intensify
- Herschel Walker was talking about his upcoming runoff election on Fox News on Tuesday but the result was a whole bunch of "erection" jokes on Twitter. The word had slipped out of the Georgia Senate candidate's mouth and was soon trending on the social media site. "This...
Nov 9, 2022 9:20 AM CST
Kentucky Voters Reject Abortion Amendment
As 3 other states outright preserve the right to abortion
- The abortion debate figured in Tuesday's midterms in a general sense—Democrats hoped that voters angry about the overturning of Roe v. Wade would turn out in droves to support their candidates. But abortion also was on the ballot in a literal sense in five states. The outcomes, per...
Indiana AG Sued by Doctor Who
Helped Girl, 10, End Pregnancy
Nov 4, 2022 8:40 AM CDT
Indiana AG Sued by Doctor Who Helped Girl, 10, End Pregnancy
Todd Rokita accused of seeking patient records based on 'frivolous' consumer complaints
- An Indiana OB-GYN who provided an abortion to a 10-year-old rape victim from Ohio is suing Indiana Attorney General Todd Rokita, alleging that the Republican has been issuing subpoenas in a "fishing expedition" based on "meritless" and "frivolous" consumer complaints. Dr. Caitlin Bernard and her colleague Dr....
Gets a Scathing
Oct 27, 2022 9:15 AM CDT
Barrett's Book Gets a Scathing Literary Reaction
In open letter, literati blast publisher, SCOTUS justice over 'fundamental human right' of abortion
- Not everyone is thrilled about Amy Coney Barrett's upcoming book , including a couple hundred literary notables who've signed a scathing open letter to her publisher. The
reports on the letter —titled "We Dissent" and signed by close to 250 "members of the writing, publishing,...
Another Woman Says
Walker Paid for Her Abortion
Oct 26, 2022 7:05 PM CDT
Another Woman Says Walker Paid for Her Abortion
Senate candidate denies account, blames Democrats
- A woman came forward Wednesday to accuse Herschel Walker, the anti-abortion Republican running for US Senate in Georgia, of encouraging and paying for her 1993 abortion—an accusation that came just weeks after a former girlfriend said he did the same for her in 2009. Walker dismissed the newest allegation...
Oct 17, 2022 9:10 AM CDT
Herschel Walker: 'Yes, That's My Check'
But GOP Senate candidate still insists he didn't know money would go toward ex-partner's abortion
- The Herschel Walker abortion saga continues. The GOP candidate for the US Senate out of Georgia has consistently pushed back on allegations that he paid for an ex's abortion, though in a Sunday chat with NBC News , Walker conceded on at least part of the story. "Yes, that'...
Jewish Women Sue:
Abortion Laws Violate
Oct 11, 2022 1:30 AM CDT
Jewish Women Sue: Abortion Laws Violate Religious Freedom
It's the 3rd such lawsuit filed by Jewish organizations or individuals since the end of Roe
- Three Jewish women in Kentucky are suing over the state's abortion restrictions, arguing they violate the women's religious freedoms. Some members of religions including Judaism and Islam argue that they have a religious right to abortion , and the three women who filed the suit are indeed making the...
Oct 8, 2022 5:40 PM CDT
Herschel Walker Urged Another Abortion, Says Ex-Girlfriend
Campaign provides texts between the woman and the candidate's wife
- A woman who has said Georgia Senate candidate Herschel Walker paid for her abortion in 2009 has added that he wanted her to have another two years later, which she said she refused, ending their relationship. Walker's former girlfriend, who does not want to be identified publicly to protect...
Judges in Ariz.,
Oct 8, 2022 6:30 AM CDT
Judges in Ariz., Ohio Make Rulings on Abortion Bans
Procedure can once more take place in these 2 states, at least for now
- Abortions can take place again in Arizona, at least for now, after an appeals court on Friday blocked enforcement of a pre-statehood law that almost entirely criminalized the procedure. The three-judge panel of the Arizona Court of Appeals agreed with Planned Parenthood that a judge shouldn't have lifted the...
College Puts 'Stake in the
Ground' on Abortion Access
Oct 7, 2022 11:35 AM CDT
College Puts 'Stake in the Ground' on Abortion Access
Private women's college Barnard will offer abortion pills to students beginning Sept. 2023
- Barnard College says it will begin offering abortion pills to its students beginning in September 2023. The private women's college in Manhattan, which operates in partnership with Columbia University, made the announcement Thursday, saying it was preparing in case roadblocks were erected to abortion access in New York. "...
GOP Defense of
Oct 7, 2022 10:20 AM CDT
Reaction to GOP Defense of Herschel Walker: 'Um, What?'
Newt Gingrich's comments turned into punchlines
- That Georgia Senate candidate Herschel Walker reportedly encouraged and paid for an ex's abortion doesn't seem to matter to a party that's working to outlaw the procedure. Republicans have come out in defense of the first-time candidate also plagued by allegations of domestic violence and physical abuse,...
After Abortion Story,
Raises More Than $500K
Oct 6, 2022 1:15 AM CDT
After Abortion Story, Herschel Walker Raises More Than $500K
Meanwhile, 'Daily Beast' is out with more on the woman making the allegation
- After allegations that Herschel Walker paid for an ex-girlfriend's abortion made headlines, the former NFL player and current Republican Senate candidate in Georgia raised more than $500,000, according to a source who spoke to NBC News . The source says $50,000 of that came in during Walker's...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Woman, 29, Arrested After Enrolling at NJ High School
Five Fired Memphis Cops Are Charged With Murder
The Suspects in Calif. Shootings Are 'Particularly Stunning'
Popular Disney Ride Has Closed, and It's Getting 'Weird'
Lawsuit: Woman, 97, Froze to Death in View of Facility's Security Cameras
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.