Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Company Email: Strippers
Are No Longer Free
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Nov 11, 2018 11:35 AM CST
Company Email: Strippers Are No Longer Free
Under Armour adapts to the #MeToo world
- Note to Under Armour employees: Your strip-club bills will no longer be reimbursed. That's among the changes at the Baltimore-based sports apparel company amid reports of top execs' chauvinistic behavior—including parties with go-go dancers and strip-club outings with athletes and co-workers, the
Wall Street Journal
Has 2 Years
to Get Buff
Oct 18, 2018 11:28 AM CDT
Mob Figure 'Skinny Joey' Has 2 Years to Get Buff
Merlino will spend them in prison after pleading guilty to illegal gambling
- Reputed Philadelphia mob boss "Skinny Joey" Merlino says he plans to spend the next two years working out. Granted he won't have much else to do in federal prison. Merlino—who previously spent 12 years behind bars for racketeering, conspiracy, and assault (and was twice acquitted of murder)—...
NYPD: Prostitution Ring
Eluded Us for Simple Reason
Sep 14, 2018 7:37 AM CDT
NYPD: Prostitution Ring Eluded Us for Simple Reason
Dirty NYPD cops helped run it, tipped off owner to raids, say prosecutors
- The brothels seemed to have an uncanny ability to sidestep trouble in undercover stings, and a slew of arrests in New York City might explain why. Prosecutors say a former vice detective familiar with the department's ways ran the operation, reports the
New York Post
. But more than that,...
'Gambling Mecca' Is About to
Become Richest Place on Earth
Aug 10, 2018 7:08 AM CDT
'Gambling Mecca' Is About to Become Richest Place on Earth
Macau is set to surpass Qatar, per a new IMF ranking
- A "gambling mecca" is set to oust Qatar as the richest place on Earth, per the International Monetary Fund's newest stats. Bloomberg reports that the IMF's World Economic Outlook database has pegged Macau as the planet's wealthiest place, with its economy on track to reach the...
Dallas Mayor Pro Tem
Pleads Guilty to ... a Lot
Aug 9, 2018 6:02 PM CDT
Dallas Mayor Pro Tem Pleads Guilty to ... a Lot
Dwaine Caraway pleaded guilty to two federal charges
- Dallas Mayor Pro Tem Dwaine Caraway accepted more than $450,000 in kickbacks and bribes, in part through a phony consulting agreement, gambling money, and trips to Las Vegas and elsewhere, federal prosecutors said Thursday. Caraway, the second highest-ranking elected official in Dallas, pleaded guilty to two federal charges in...
Supreme Court Says All States
Can Now Allow Sports Betting
May 14, 2018 11:00 AM CDT
Supreme Court Says All States Can Now Allow Sports Betting
A 1992 law had banned states from allowing it
- Sports betting—legally—is about to get a lot easier after a Supreme Court decision Monday. Since 1992, a federal law has required states other than Nevada to ban gambling on sports; Nevada was grandfathered in at the time and has since had a monopoly on legal sports betting. But...
The Secretive Gambling 'Nerd'
Whose Algorithm Won $1B
May 4, 2018 2:42 PM CDT
The Secretive Gambling 'Nerd' Whose Algorithm Won $1B
So says Kit Chellel in his fascinating piece on horse-racing wiz Bill Benter
- Nearly 15% of the people in Hong Kong placed wagers on a huge horse-racing competition on Nov. 6, 2001—but it was American Bill Benter, who'd put in more than 51,000 bets with an associate, who won the Triple Trio by predicting the top three horses in three...
10 Best, Worst States
on Gambling Problems
Apr 24, 2018 11:27 AM CDT
10 Best, Worst States on Gambling Problems
From Nevada to Nebraska
- One state stands alone when it comes to residents with gambling problems—and yes, it's Nevada. It's the only state to crack 60 out of a total score of 100 in a new ranking by WalletHub of "gambling-addicted states," though three others did surpass 50. Essentially,...
Aide Lost Job Over
Mar 16, 2018 1:00 AM CDT
Report: Trump Aide Lost Job Over Gambling Habit
John McEntee bet tens of thousands at a time, sources say
- One of President Trump's longest-serving aides was fired and escorted off the White House grounds so quickly Tuesday that he didn't have time to get his jacket. Sources tell the
Wall Street Journal
that John McEntee, 27, was fired after being denied a security...
Anti-Gambling Activist Takes
Heat for Big Sweepstakes Win
Dec 28, 2017 4:30 PM CST
Anti-Gambling Activist Takes Heat for Big Sweepstakes Win
Some call her a hypocrite, but Kathy Gilroy says sweepstakes differ because they're free to enter
- For decades, Kathy Gilroy has crusaded against gambling, saying it can lead to addiction, bankruptcy, crime, and suicide and that it "erodes society's values and work ethic," per the
. But the suburban Chicago woman recently won $25,000 by playing a sweepstakes game at a...
Mystery Gambler Won $14M
Betting on World Series
Nov 2, 2017 1:33 PM CDT
Mystery Gambler Won $14M Betting on World Series
'Let It Ride' bettor picked winners of 1st 6 games; sat out Game 7
- Much like with the World Series itself, the end of a ludicrously gutsy run of World Series betting was a bit of a let down.
reports an unknown gambler had successfully picked the winner of the first six games of the World Series, re-betting his winnings every time....
Won't Get $10.2M
After Court Rules
Oct 25, 2017 1:24 PM CDT
Top Gambler Won't Get $10.2M After Court Rules He Cheated
Phil Ivey has been fighting for the money since 2012
- Professional poker champ Phil Ivey won't be getting the $10.2 million he thought he won from a London casino, the
reports. The 40-year-old, whom the BBC calls "the Tiger Woods of poker," was found to have cheated in order to win the money while playing...
This We Know About Vegas
Gunman: He Loved to Gamble
Oct 2, 2017 2:40 PM CDT
This We Know About Vegas Gunman: He Loved to Gamble
Stephen Paddock often played for big stakes, says his brother
- As the world struggles to understand why Stephen Paddock unleashed the deadliest mass shooting in US history on his Las Vegas victims, one fact is becoming clear: The 64-year-old loved to gamble, and for big stakes. Whether that has anything to do with the shooting, however, remains very much unclear....
Cops: Teacher Blew Student
Activity Cash on Penny Slots
Sep 22, 2017 10:45 AM CDT
Cops: Teacher Blew Student Activity Cash on Penny Slots
Michigan's Lydia Johnson accused of lifting $31K from dance, trip funds
- Last year, Lydia Johnson is said to have blown $90,000 at the MGM Grand Detroit casino, which would be a lot of your own money to lose, let alone someone else's. And a chunk of it was allegedly someone else's. Macomb County authorities say the 29-year-old Dakota...
No Easy Fix for
That Scams Casinos
Feb 7, 2017 2:54 PM CST
No Easy Fix for Russian Hack That Scams Casinos
'Wired' dives into how St. Petersburg group figured out slot machine patterns
- An iPhone and a few well-timed button pushes by a mysterious patron was all that was needed to make a Missouri casino's slot machine pay out lots of cash. But this wasn't just a random scammer who'd figured out how to play the machine: It was part...
A Slot Machine's
Deception, a Man's
in case you missed it
Nov 20, 2016 5:30 PM CST
A Slot Machine's Deception, a Man's Tragic Death
Scott Stevens killed himself after a 6-year gambling addiction—were the machines to blame?
- About 1% of the US population (around 3.2 million Americans ) has a gambling disorder, per the National Center for Responsible Gaming —and the
tells the tragic story of one of those addicts and how a lawsuit took the entire industry to task for his death. Scott...
Woman 'Wins' $43M on Slots;
Casino Says Not So Fast
Oct 30, 2016 10:45 AM CDT
Woman 'Wins' $43M on Slots; Casino Says Not So Fast
The slot machine giveth huge payout, the slot machine 'malfunction' taketh it away
- There are mechanical malfunctions on the order of you losing out on some pocket change and a bag of Fritos, and there are mechanical malfunctions on the order of the one Katrina Bookman faced in August, which amounts to a loss of $43 million and a steak dinner. As ABC7...
How One Man Made $2.5M
Betting on the World Series
Oct 23, 2016 4:55 PM CDT
How One Man Made $2.5M Betting on the World Series
'Vegas Dave' and his history of long-shot sports bets
- "Vegas" Dave Oancea started his career as a professional gambler by taking out a $10,000 student loan, going straight to Vegas, and putting it all on red. Telling his story to Mel Magazine , Dave says: "It hit, and I turned the 10 grand into 20. That started...
$2M Theft, NYC's
Felled by Pizza
May 25, 2016 1:03 AM CDT
Accused in $2M Theft, NYC's 'Hottest Vegan' Felled by Pizza
She's now in Riker's, accused of stealing millions from her own restaurant
- It's a dizzying downfall: Sarma Melngailis went from the Ivy League and French Culinary Institute to near-instant fame and success in the Big Apple when she opened the vegan restaurant Pure Food and Wine, frequented by the likes of Alec Baldwin. Hailed as the city's "hottest vegan"...
$100 Bet on
Could Pay $100K
Mar 28, 2016 7:49 AM CDT
$100 Bet on Syracuse Win Could Pay $100K
Wager was placed when no one thought the Orange had a chance
- In an incredible run that SB Nation says "doesn't make sense" and
labels "improbable," Syracuse beat No. 1 seed Virginia 68-62 on Sunday, the AP reports—making the Orange the first No. 10 seed to make it to the Final Four. And one bettor...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Deborrah Collier Bought Some Items Before Her Odd Death
Moans and Worse Heard Over Airline's PA System
Couple Saves Injured Baby Allegedly Abandoned by Dad
Chess Champ Finally Unloads Cheating Allegations
Court Doc: Texas AG Fled While Being Served Subpoena
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.