Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
California Voters Say
No to Sports Betting
Nov 9, 2022 2:21 PM CST
California Voters Say No to Sports Betting
Propositions 26, 27 promised tens or hundreds of millions in state revenue
- The most expensive ballot proposition gamble in US history went bust Tuesday as California voters overwhelmingly rejected sports betting, shooting down initiatives to legalize sports gambling at tribal casinos and horse tracks or through mobile and online wagering. Native American tribes and the gaming industry raised nearly $460 million (see...
Mobile Gambling Takes Away
a Problem Gambler's Tell
Sep 10, 2022 7:50 AM CDT
Mobile Gambling Takes Away a Problem Gambler's Tell
There's no longer the need to explain absences caused by trips to a casino
- It's getting increasingly easier to gamble on your phone. In a piece for Vice , Maxwell Strachan looks at how the gambling scene has changed of late and the impact that's having, particularly on young men. He zeroes in on Illinois and New York, which have now legalized online...
Man Who Accidentally Got All
of Town's COVID Cash: It's Gone
May 19, 2022 9:20 AM CDT
Man Who Accidentally Got All of Town's COVID Cash: It's Gone
The 24-year-old Japanese man was arrested on fraud charge
- What the Japanese town of Abu knew was this: The $770 each COVID relief payments that were supposed to go to 463 low-income households last month mistakenly ended up in a 24-year-old villager's account . The mistake occurred April 8 and was identified that same day, but for weeks Sho...
In March, US Casinos
Raked in a Record Sum
May 11, 2022 5:40 PM CDT
In March, US Casinos Raked in a Record Sum
$5.3B was the highest single-month total ever, American Gaming Association says
- Inflation may be soaring, supply chains remain snarled, and the coronavirus just won't go away, but America's casinos are humming right along, recording the best month in their history in March. The American Gaming Association, the gambling industry's national trade group, said Wednesday that US commercial casinos...
for Betting on
Mar 8, 2022 3:00 AM CST
Falcons Player Suspended for Betting on NFL Games
Calvin Ridley defends himself on Twitter
- For endangering the integrity of the sport by betting on games, Atlanta Falcons wide receiver Calvin Ridley has been suspended by the NFL for at least the next season, the AP reports. Ridley won’t play in 2022 and there is no guarantee for the NFL future of the player...
Out of Crypto, a 'Particularly
Feb 16, 2022 7:36 AM CST
Out of Crypto, a 'Particularly Dangerous' Addiction
Investors are increasingly seeking out therapists, who say crypto addicts are akin to gambling addicts
- If you follow the roller-coaster ride that is Bitcoin, Ethereum, and other forms of cryptocurrency, you're familiar with the feelings that go along with that habit, especially if you're an investor. And they're not always pleasant feelings, according to mental health experts who say they're seeing...
Gambling Group Predicts
Record-Breaking Super Bowl
Feb 8, 2022 5:42 PM CST
Gambling Group Predicts Record-Breaking Super Bowl
Group says 31.5M expected to place bets
- A record 31.5 million Americans plan to bet on this year's Super Bowl, according to estimates released Tuesday by the gambling industry's national trade group. The American Gaming Association forecasted that over $7.6 billion will be wagered on pro football's championship game set for Sunday....
Gambling Nun to Serve Year
Behind Bars: 'I Have Sinned'
Feb 8, 2022 10:00 AM CST
Gambling Nun to Serve Year Behind Bars: 'I Have Sinned'
'I have no excuses,' says Sister Mary Margaret Kreuper, who stole $835K from Catholic school
A California nun and retired principal who embezzled $835,000 in donations, tuition, and fees from a Catholic elementary school will now have to pay it all back and serve a year behind bars. "I have sinned, I've broken the law, and I have no excuses,"...
Woman Stole $680K, Blew It on
Gambling App With No Payout
Nov 23, 2021 7:41 AM CST
Woman Stole $680K, Blew It on Gambling App With No Payout
Heart of Vegas doesn't pay out real money
- You've heard variations of this one before: A person steals money to fuel a gambling addiction. What's unusual in the case of Rachel Naomi Perri is that she blew the hundreds of thousands of dollars she admitted to stealing from her employer on a gambling app that doesn'...
NHL Player's Wife Accuses
Him of Throwing Games
Aug 1, 2021 2:00 PM CDT
NHL Player's Wife Accuses Him of Throwing Games
Evander Kane is a gambling addict, Anna Kane wrote on social media
- The wife of a star NHL player has lodged bombshell accusations against her husband on social media, accusing him of betting on his own games and even throwing them, reports the
San Jose Mercury News
. Anna Kane made the accusations against Evander Kane of the San Jose Sharks in a...
The Greediest, Angriest, Most
Jealous States in America
Feb 15, 2021 10:15 AM CST
The Greediest, Angriest, Most Jealous States in America
WalletHub takes note of our sins and ranks us
- The first day of Lent is Wednesday, and for Christians who follow the observance, it's often a time to give up a bad habit for the six weeks that follow. That may be harder for people in some parts of the country, per WalletHub , which has ranked US states...
They Bet on a Trump Win.
Now They Want Their Money
Dec 18, 2020 12:33 PM CST
They Bet on a Trump Win. Now They Want Their Money
Gamblers threaten legal action against betting sites, saying race shouldn't have been called for Biden
- President Trump continues to push his claims of election fraud, and last week, he tried to support that narrative with a tweet tied to gambling, per Casino.org . "At 10:00 P.M. on Election Evening, we were at 97% win with the so-called 'bookies,'" he...
'King of Gambling'
Is Dead at 98
May 26, 2020 11:18 AM CDT
'King of Gambling' Is Dead at 98
Though Macau tycoon Stanley Ho didn't gamble himself
- Casino tycoon Stanley Ho, who made the enclave of Macau into a gambling hub even bigger than Las Vegas, has died in Hong Kong at age 98. Considered the father of modern gambling in China, Ho's long and eventful life tracked the ebb and flow of southern China's...
Vegas, Dead? Not if
Little Darlings Has a Say
Mar 19, 2020 2:29 PM CDT
Vegas, Dead? Not if Little Darlings Has a Say
And online bettors try to survive as sports gambling dies off
- Want to place a bet on tomorrow's weather in Indianapolis? How about Paris or Toronto? Well, BetOnline.ag is ready to give you odds. With most major US sports leagues shut down, online bettors are getting creative—and, let's face it, desperate—enough to take bets on the...
Vegas Casinos to Close
for First Time Since 1963
Mar 18, 2020 3:25 AM CDT
Vegas Casinos to Close for First Time Since 1963
Nevada governor shuts down gambling for a month
- Gambling is grinding to a halt in casino-mecca Las Vegas after the governor of Nevada issued a sweeping statewide order to stop the spread of the new coronavirus. Democrat Steve Sisolak ordered a monthlong freeze on gambling, shutting down everything from the famous casino resorts to slot machines found in...
Cause du Jour:
Feb 9, 2020 8:53 AM CST
Trump's New Cause du Jour: Pete Rose
President wants disgraced MLB slugger reinstated, let into the baseball Hall of Fame
- Fresh off the "hell" that was his impeachment trial , President Trump is apparently taking up the cause of another man he feels was unjustly persecuted: disgraced baseball great Pete Rose, currently barred from the Hall of Fame because of a lifetime ban that's been in place since 1989....
2 Sets of
Feb 5, 2020 4:15 PM CST
Pete Rose: Baseball Clearly Has 2 Sets of Rules
The baseball giant makes his case for reinstatement to MLB
- Houston Astros players go unpunished, and I'm still on the outs? Come on. That's pretty much Pete Rose's argument in a 19-page letter submitted by his lawyers Wednesday to MLB commissioner Rob Manfred, ESPN reports. The lawyers call Rose's punishment "vastly disproportionate" to that of...
Angry Gambler Does This
Oct 26, 2019 10:05 AM CDT
Angry Gambler Does This
She had been kicked out of the Cannery casino
- Police say a woman who was angered when she was kicked out of a Las Vegas-area casino intentionally drove her motorhome into the building, injuring a custodian, the AP reports. North Las Vegas Police spokesman Eric Leavitt says the 50-year-old woman was ejected from the Cannery casino Friday morning and...
4 Shot Dead in Illegal
Oct 12, 2019 11:30 AM CDT
4 Shot Dead in Illegal Gambling House
Gun violence rocks the Crown Heights neighborhood of Brooklyn
- Four people were killed and three others were wounded in an early Saturday shooting at an illegal gambling club in New York City, police said. The six men and one woman were shot just before 7am inside a building in the Crown Heights neighborhood of Brooklyn, the AP reports. Chief...
Jan 10, 2019 8:24 AM CST
Anti-LGBT Pastor Resigns Amid Prostitute Allegations
Donnie Romero, who called Pulse Orlando victims 'scum,' allegedly paid for sex, used drugs
- The website for Fort Worth's Stedfast Baptist Church describes it as an "old-fashioned" institution that goes in "hard against sin" and "stands for the old paths and zero compromise preaching." Its notorious founder, however, who railed against the Pulse nightclub victims as "perverts" and...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
New Jersey Lawmaker Murdered Near Her Home
Zoo Director Allegedly Cooked Zoo Animals for Party
House GOP Ousts Democrat Omar From Major Committee
Robert Kraft Has One Last Request of Tom Brady
Forecasters Warn of Generational Cold
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.