Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
US Intelligence Suggests Putin
Isn't Getting the Full Story
Mar 30, 2022 4:44 PM CDT
US Intelligence Suggests Putin Isn't Getting the Full Story
Aides are misinforming Russian president about invasion, officials say
- Russian President Vladimir Putin isn't aware of the true state of his invasion of Ukraine because aides aren't telling him, US intelligence officials have concluded. The disconnect is straining relations between Putin and his advisers, the
New York Times
reports. Asked Wednesday about the situation, Secretary of State...
Biden: Putin Line
Was an Expression
of 'Moral Outrage'
Mar 28, 2022 3:42 PM CDT
Biden: Putin Line Was an Expression of 'Moral Outrage'
President says 'nobody believes' he was calling for ousting Russia's president
- Two days after causing concern around the world by saying Russian President Vladimir Putin should not remain in office, President Biden said his outburst was a personal moral assessment, not a declaration of US policy. Nor was it a slipup, the president told reporters, per the
New York Times
Investigation Links Kremlin
Hit Squad to Notorious Murder
Mar 28, 2022 8:02 AM CDT
Investigation Links Kremlin Hit Squad to Notorious Murder
Putin critic Boris Nemtsov was tailed for a year before being killed in 2015
- His 2015 murder was jarring: Boris Nemtsov , a fierce critic of Vladimir Putin, was gunned down near the Kremlin a few days before he was to lead an opposition protest. Five Chechen men were eventually jailed for the killing, but the BBC notes that the larger question of who ordered...
Mar 27, 2022 7:04 AM CDT
Biden's Big Line on Putin Wasn't Planned
US continues to insist White House isn't advocating regime change in Russia
- The fallout continues over President Biden's bombshell of a line about Vladimir Putin on Saturday: “For God’s sake, this man cannot remain in power.” Biden delivered the line at the end of a speech in Poland, and both Politico and the
say the president...
Biden Denounces Putin, Saying
He 'Cannot Remain in Power'
Mar 26, 2022 3:00 PM CDT
Biden Denounces Putin, Saying He 'Cannot Remain in Power'
Kremlin says that's Russia's decision, and White House aide says it wasn't a call for a regime change
- President Biden denounced Russian President Vladimir Putin in his strongest terms yet on Saturday, calling him "a butcher" after meeting with Ukrainian refugees and saying he "cannot remain in power" in a forceful speech in Warsaw. Biden's declaration came at the end of an address intended to...
Putin Drags JK Rowling
Into Latest 'Bizarre Rant'
Mar 25, 2022 12:12 PM CDT
Putin Drags JK Rowling Into Latest 'Bizarre Rant'
Leader says both Russia, 'Harry Potter' author have been 'canceled'—Rowling for her trans views
- It's not terribly surprising that Vladimir Putin might try to control the narrative on his country's invasion of Ukraine by painting Russia as some kind of victim. And he did just that during a Friday address on state TV, touching on the concept of "cancel culture" and...
Banned Chess Grandmaster:
'I Regret Nothing'
Mar 22, 2022 5:46 PM CDT
Banned Chess Grandmaster: 'I Regret Nothing'
Sergey Karjakin was suspended for supporting invasion of Ukraine
- A chess grandmaster who publicly supported Russia's invasion of Ukraine has been taken off the board for at least six months. The International Chess Federation says Sergey Karjakin has been banned from competition for bringing the game into disrepute, AFP reports. The ruling noted that the 32-year-old grandmaster posted...
After Receiving Sentence
Mar 22, 2022 8:55 AM CDT
After Receiving Sentence
Putin critic gets 9 years after fraud conviction
A Russian court sentenced Kremlin critic Alexei Navalny to nine years in a maximum security prison Tuesday after convicting him of fraud, reports the AP . It wasn't clear whether it would be concurrent with the shorter sentence he's already serving. Navalny's Twitter account responded with a...
Mar 22, 2022 7:45 AM CDT
Putin Already Changed the Nukes Game
'This war might prove the greatest stimulus to nuclear proliferation in history'
- Russia's invasion of Ukraine seems to have rewritten the world's nuclear playbook. While Vladimir Putin has not deployed such a weapon, he has explicitly raised the threat , and that alone may change things going forward. A look at some of the assessments and coverage:
Zelensky: Peace Talks, or
Russia Will Suffer 'Huge' Losses
Mar 19, 2022 8:29 AM CDT
Zelensky: Peace Talks, or Russia Will Suffer 'Huge' Losses
'Several generations will not be enough to rebound,' Ukrainian president warns
- Vladimir Putin may have rallied a crowd in Russia on Friday to seemingly support his invasion of Ukraine, but Volodymyr Zelensky was not impressed. In fact, in an overnight video , the Ukrainian president accused Russia of spurring a "humanitarian catastrophe" and once more implored the Russian leader to sit...
Defense of War
Mar 18, 2022 1:57 PM CDT
Russian Crowd Cheers Putin's Defense of War
Speech includes praise for troops that invaded Ukraine
- Vladimir Putin appeared at a huge flag-waving rally at a Moscow stadium Friday and lavished praise on his troops fighting in Ukraine, three weeks into the invasion that has led to heavier-than-expected Russian losses on the battlefield and increasingly authoritarian rule at home. "Shoulder to shoulder, they help and...
Mar 18, 2022 12:18 PM CDT
Putin's 'Chilling' Language Raises Alarms
Russian leader's rhetoric draws comparisons to Stalin
- Vladimir Putin's military is pressing its advance on Ukraine, and Putin himself is ramping up his related rhetoric. A number of stories are parsing his language:
New York Times
analysis, Anton Troianovski digs into why Putin keeps saying he must "de-Nazify" Ukraine and keeps invoking
Russian General Killed
After Using Unsecured Phone
Mar 18, 2022 7:22 AM CDT
Russian General Killed After Using Unsecured Phone
Four have reportedly died since fighting began; the latest death was reported Tuesday
- NATO officials have confirmed three Russian generals are among the estimated 7,000 Russian military members to die in Ukraine—"a shocking number," former US ambassador to Russia Michael McFaul tells the
New York Times
. And Ukrainian officials reported the death of a fourth general on Wednesday. Maj....
Putin Sets Out
for Peace Deal
Mar 18, 2022 5:39 AM CDT
Putin Sets Out 'Precise Demands' for Peace Deal
Officials say he laid out position in call to Turkish leader
- Russian President Vladimir Putin spoke to Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan Thursday and set out "precise demands" for a peace deal, according to an Erdogan spokesman. Ibrahim Kalin, the Turkish leader's chief adviser, told the BBC 's John Simpson that the first four demands would be "...
Biden Calls Putin
a War Criminal for
the First Time
Mar 16, 2022 4:25 PM CDT
Biden Calls Putin a War Criminal for the First Time
Kremlin calls remark 'unforgivable rhetoric'
- President Biden publicly called his Russian counterpart a war criminal for the first time Wednesday. Biden, when asked by a reporter at a White House event if he considered Vladimir Putin a war criminal, initially responded "No," CNN reports. Video from C-SPAN shows that he returned to the...
Trump: Putin Is
'Very Much Changed'
Mar 16, 2022 7:56 AM CDT
Trump: Putin Is 'Very Much Changed'
Former president says invasion of Ukraine came as a 'surprise'
- Even with Russian forces amassed on Ukraine's border, former President Trump didn't expect an invasion. He was "surprised" when Russian President Vladimir Putin ordered military action because "I thought he was negotiating when he sent his troops to the border," Trump told the
Mar 14, 2022 12:12 PM CDT
Elon Musk Challenges Putin to a Fight
The winner of said challenge gets ... Ukraine, according to Musk
- We didn't think we'd be entering the workweek taking bets on who would win in a hand-to-hand fight between Elon Musk and Vladimir Putin, but here we are. That battle actually happening seems unlikely, but the challenge has been issued, with the Tesla and SpaceX CEO daring the...
Starting Monday, No
More Instagram in Russia
Mar 12, 2022 8:15 AM CST
Starting Monday, No More Instagram in Russia
After same move on FB, nation bans social media site due to 'calls for violence' against Russians
- Earlier this month, Russia blocked access to Facebook. Now citizens are about to lose access to Instagram, a widening of the net that's "squeezing the free flow of information online for Russians," per NPR . Insider reports that Roskomnadzor, Russia's media overseer, announced Thursday that starting Monday,...
Bringing in 'Volunteer'
Fighters From Syria
Mar 11, 2022 11:22 AM CST
Putin Approves Bringing in 'Volunteer' Fighters From Syria
US officials say Russia is recruiting fighters trained in urban combat from Middle East
- Last week, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky announced that an "international legion" of 16,000 volunteers had offered to come to his nation to help fight off invading Russian forces. Now, Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Shoigu is claiming that an equal number of volunteers from the Middle East are stepping...
'Putin Must Pay a Price':
Biden Unveils New Penalties
Mar 11, 2022 10:38 AM CST
'Putin Must Pay a Price': Biden Unveils New Penalties
West moves to downgrade Russia's trading status; caviar and vodka banned from the US
- The US and the West continue to turn the screws on Russia financially, and one tangible effect of Friday's moves is that Russian vodka and caviar will no longer be allowed into the US, reports CNN . The bans are part of newly announced penalties announced by President Biden. At...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Miner's Surprise Find: 'She's Perfect and She's Beautiful'
Garland Warns States About Abortion Pills
Missing at Sea for 11 Days, Va. Couple Emerges
Drought Ruins Crops, Shuts Off Milan's Fountains
Collins on Roe Ruling: 'I Feel Misled'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.