Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Top US Intelligence Official:
Putin Ready to Outlast Us All
May 11, 2022 9:35 AM CDT
Top US Intelligence Official: Putin Ready to Outlast Us All
Avril Haines sees him as 'preparing for a prolonged conflict'
- The country's top intelligence official spoke at a Senate hearing Tuesday, and the updates she provided on the Ukraine invasion weren't encouraging. US Director of National Intelligence Avril Haines painted Vladimir Putin as digging in his heels and "preparing for a prolonged conflict," suspecting he'll...
Putin's Big Speech Notable
for What He Didn't Say
May 9, 2022 6:45 AM CDT
Putin's Big Speech Notable for What He Didn't Say
In 'Victory Day' address, Russian leader doesn't declare victory or escalate war plans
- Monday is the annual Victory Day in Russia, and the world paid close attention to Vladimir Putin's address to his nation. But coverage is emphasizing what the Russian leader
say in regard to his invasion of Ukraine, rather than what he did:
Putin did not "announce
Pope: I'll Meet
May 3, 2022 8:13 AM CDT
Pope: I'll Meet With Putin
Francis says he hasn't heard back yet from Russian leader on meeting to talk about Ukraine conflict
- Pope Francis has told an Italian newspaper that he has offered to travel to Moscow to meet with President Vladimir Putin to try to end Russia's war in Ukraine, but that he hasn't yet heard back. Francis said he made the offer about three weeks into Russia's...
Russia's 'Secret First Lady'
Still Avoiding Sanctions
Apr 26, 2022 10:50 AM CDT
Russia's 'Secret First Lady' Still Avoiding Sanctions
Critic says Putin's alleged lover, Alina Kabaeva, is 'the big propaganda boss'
- Alina Kabaeva, the alleged mistress of Russian President Vladimir Putin, with whom she's believed to have at least three children, is a potential target for US sanctions, the Biden administration said Monday in response to questions about why Kabaeva had been left out of sanctions targeting Putin and two...
Starting at 7, Russians
to Learn 'Patriotic History'
Apr 20, 2022 4:09 PM CDT
Starting at 7, Russians to Learn 'Patriotic History'
Students will be taught their country didn't mistreat Ukraine
- After being accused of committing atrocities in Ukraine , and facing global opposition for its invasion, Russia is taking a step to control the narrative among its people early. The Education Ministry has announced the starting age for compulsory history lessons in its schools will be 7, down from 10. It'...
Putin Rewards the
'Butchers of Bucha'
Apr 19, 2022 4:35 PM CDT
Putin Rewards the 'Butchers of Bucha'
Russian president gives the 64th Motor Rifle Brigade an honorary title
- The Russian infantry unit suspected in the mass killings that filled mass graves in Bucha, Ukraine have now been hailed by Putin for their "mass heroism and valor," per the
The Russian president awarded the honorary title of "Guards" to the 64th Motor Rifle Brigade for...
Apr 14, 2022 12:59 AM CDT
It's Looking More Likely That Finland, Sweden Will Join NATO
Finland's decision is expected 'within weeks'
- Russian President Vladimir Putin has warned Finland and Sweden not to join NATO , but both countries are edging closer to the military alliance even so. Finnish Prime Minister Sanna Marin said a decision on whether to apply is expected "within weeks," the BBC reports, and if Finland decides...
Apr 13, 2022 12:35 AM CDT
Ukraine: Fugitive Putin Ally Has Been Arrested
Viktor Medvedchuk reportedly in custody
- Ukrainian officials say fugitive Ukrainian oligarch Viktor Medvedchuk, who is both the former leader of a pro-Russian opposition party and a close associate of Russian leader Vladimir Putin, has been detained in a special operation carried out by the country’s SBU secret service. In his nightly video address to...
Fiona Hill's Comments
Don't Sit Well With Trump
Apr 12, 2022 11:44 AM CDT
Fiona Hill's Comments Don't Sit Well With Trump
Former adviser accused him of 'pulling a Putin' on Jan. 6
- In an interview with the
New York Times Magazine
, Fiona Hill —a specialist on Russia and Vladimir Putin who advised presidents George W. Bush, Barack Obama, Donald Trump—offered critiques of all three former leaders. For example, she remembers that she "winced" when Obama defied advice and publicly...
Putin to West: 'We Don't
Intend to Be Isolated'
Apr 12, 2022 6:31 AM CDT
Putin to West: 'We Don't Intend to Be Isolated'
He also says there is 'no doubt' the nation's mission in Ukraine will succeed
- Vladimir Putin used the anniversary of a Soviet space milestone to strike a defiant tone about his war in Ukraine on Tuesday. The Russian leader traveled to a space facility 61 years to the day after Yuri Gagarin became the first man in space, reports Reuters . "The sanctions were...
Russians Begin Turning
Each Other In Over
Criticism of War
Apr 10, 2022 12:25 PM CDT
Russians Begin Turning Each Other In Over Criticism of War
There will be 'a cleansing,' politician says
- In his war against Ukraine, Russian President Vladimir Putin isn't neglecting the homefront. Russians have begun to report each other for being critical of the war, encouraged by leaders, as the government rekindles the fear of the Soviet era. Teachers are being reported by students and parents, and neighbors...
US Sanctions Putin's
2 Adult Daughters
Apr 6, 2022 10:05 AM CDT
US Sanctions Putin's 2 Adult Daughters
As well as some other big names
- The US on Wednesday announced sanctions targeting Vladimir Putin's two adult daughters and said it was toughening penalties against Russian banks in retaliation for "war crimes" in Ukraine. Mariya Putina and Katerina Tikhonova are daughters Putin had with former Aeroflot flight attendant Lyudmila Putina, reports the
Biden on Putin's Tactics:
'I Think It Is a War Crime'
Apr 4, 2022 10:25 AM CDT
Biden on Putin's Tactics: 'I Think It Is a War Crime'
'What's happening in Bucha is outrageous,' he says
- President Biden is again escalating his public condemnation of Vladimir Putin. As evidence emerges of mass atrocities against civilians in areas around Kyiv, Biden on Monday doubled down on his branding of Putin as a "war criminal" and said the US is gathering information about alleged war crimes, reports...
Orban, a Putin
Apr 3, 2022 5:10 PM CDT
Orban, a Putin Ally, Declares 'Huge Victory'
Prime minister says vote is a message to Europe
- Prime Minister Viktor Orban declared victory in Sunday's national elections, claiming a mandate for a fourth term as a partial vote count predicted a strong lead for his right-wing party. In a 10-minute speech to Fidesz party officials and supporters at an election night event in Budapest, Orban addressed...
Putin's Voice Says a Lot
About His Mental State
Apr 3, 2022 2:40 PM CDT
Putin's Voice Says a Lot About His Mental State
'We can conjecture that he was in a state of psychological instability,' say analysts
- Vladimir Putin's mind is the subject of much speculation and analysis. As one
New York Daily News
columnist notes, "the words
unhinged, delusional, unbalanced, sociopathic,
appear regularly" in coverage of his words and deeds. His televised speech on Feb. 24, the opening day of the invasion,...
Kremlin Fires Back After
Depardieu Slams 'Crazy' Putin
Apr 1, 2022 11:20 AM CDT
Kremlin Fires Back After Depardieu Slams 'Crazy' Putin
French actor has praised Russian leader in the past
- The friendship between Gerard Depardieu and Vladimir Putin has become yet another victim of Russia's invasion of Ukraine. The French actor, who has praised Putin in the past and received a Russian passport and a hug from the leader in 2013, has strongly denounced the invasion. "The Russian...
White House Blasts
Trump's Request to Putin
Mar 31, 2022 2:00 AM CDT
White House Blasts Trump's Request to Putin
Former POTUS asked for dirt on Hunter Biden
The White House on Wednesday expressed skepticism and disgust following Donald Trump's Tuesday interview regarding Hunter Biden. "What kind of American, let alone an ex-president, thinks that this is the right time to enter into a scheme with Vladimir Putin and brag about his connections to Vladimir...
US Intelligence Suggests Putin
Isn't Getting the Full Story
Mar 30, 2022 4:44 PM CDT
US Intelligence Suggests Putin Isn't Getting the Full Story
Aides are misinforming Russian president about invasion, officials say
- Russian President Vladimir Putin isn't aware of the true state of his invasion of Ukraine because aides aren't telling him, US intelligence officials have concluded. The disconnect is straining relations between Putin and his advisers, the
New York Times
reports. Asked Wednesday about the situation, Secretary of State...
Biden: Putin Line
Was an Expression
of 'Moral Outrage'
Mar 28, 2022 3:42 PM CDT
Biden: Putin Line Was an Expression of 'Moral Outrage'
President says 'nobody believes' he was calling for ousting Russia's president
- Two days after causing concern around the world by saying Russian President Vladimir Putin should not remain in office, President Biden said his outburst was a personal moral assessment, not a declaration of US policy. Nor was it a slipup, the president told reporters, per the
New York Times
Investigation Links Kremlin
Hit Squad to Notorious Murder
Mar 28, 2022 8:02 AM CDT
Investigation Links Kremlin Hit Squad to Notorious Murder
Putin critic Boris Nemtsov was tailed for a year before being killed in 2015
- His 2015 murder was jarring: Boris Nemtsov , a fierce critic of Vladimir Putin, was gunned down near the Kremlin a few days before he was to lead an opposition protest. Five Chechen men were eventually jailed for the killing, but the BBC notes that the larger question of who ordered...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Conway Spills on George, Kushner, Trump in New Book
She Was the City's Only Doctor. Russians Put a Bag Over Her Head
Cyclist Accused of Killing Fellow Rider Is at Large
Russian Diplomat: I'm 'So Ashamed'
Destructive Jumping Worms Are Now in California
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.