Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Holdout Turkey Approves
Finland Joining NATO
Mar 30, 2023 6:35 PM CDT
Holdout Turkey Approves Finland Joining NATO
Sweden, which applied at the same time, is still waiting
- Turkey on Thursday endorsed Finland's pending membership in NATO on a parliamentary vote, removing the last obstacle to the security alliance's expansion. President Recep Tayyip Erdogan had come out in support of the move, but he has not yet said Sweden—which applied to NATO on the same...
They Want to Join NATO
Together. One May Go Solo
Feb 18, 2023 10:45 AM CST
They Want to Join NATO Together. One May Go Solo
Finnish defense minister says his nation may join alone if Turkey keeps holding up Sweden
- Finland's defense minister said Saturday that his country will join NATO without waiting for Sweden if its Nordic neighbor's accession is held up by the Turkish government. Mikko Savola told the AP on Saturday that Finland would prefer that the two countries join the alliance together, but it...
Update on Soccer
Feb 18, 2023 5:30 AM CST
Heartbreaking Update on Soccer Player Caught in Quake
Body of Christian Atsu, 31, found in Antakya, Turkey, after initially being reported as rescued
- Christian Atsu, the Ghana international forward who played for Premier League clubs Chelsea and Newcastle, has died in the earthquake in Turkey. He was 31. Search teams recovered Atsu's body in the ruins of a luxury 12-story building where he'd been living in the city of Antakya, Hatay...
200 Hours After the Quake,
the Improbable: Survivors
Feb 14, 2023 3:05 PM CST
200 Hours After the Quake, the Improbable: Survivors
Yet the combined death toll stands at nearly 40K
New York Times
puts the count of "improbable rescues" at nine: people finally freed from the rubble roughly 200 hours after devastating earthquakes struck Turkey and Syria. One of those rescues involved two brothers who survived on protein powder and by drinking their own urine; the men, ages...
Toll of 24K,
Feb 11, 2023 5:30 AM CST
Amid Death Toll of 24K, 'Shimmers of Joy'
Five days after Turkey-Syria quake, teen boy, family of 5 pulled alive from rubble
- Rescue teams in Turkey on Saturday pulled to safety a family of five who survived inside their collapsed home for five days following a major earthquake in a sprawling border region of Turkey and Syria, per the AP . They first extricated mother and daughter Havva and Fatmagul Aslan from a...
'Miracle' Boy Pulled From
Rubble a Day After Quake
Feb 7, 2023 12:00 AM CST
'Miracle' Boy Pulled From Rubble a Day After Quake
Death toll in Turkey-Syria quake is now above 4.3K
- More than a day after the devastating Turkey-Syria earthquake , what observers called a "miracle": A 14-year-old boy was pulled from the rubble in the Turkish city of Kahramanmaras, CNN reports. He was seen being carried by rescuers on a stretcher to an ambulance, which transported him to a hospital;...
Feb 6, 2023 10:35 AM CST
Quake Devastates Historic Castle in Turkey
Gaziantep Castle, built 2K years ago, is heavily damaged
- The death toll from the earthquake that rocked Turkey and Syria early Monday has now surpassed 2,300 and continues to rise quickly, reports the AP . While thousands of buildings have been damaged or destroyed in the two countries, one in particular is of note: The 7.8 magnitude quake...
Was Felt in 4 Countries
Feb 6, 2023 6:38 AM CST
Devastating Earthquake Was Felt in 4 Countries
Death toll in Turkey and Syria is 1.3K and rising quickly
- The news after a powerful earthquake near the border of Turkey and Syria early Monday seems to be getting worse by the hour as rescuers in both countries look for survivors and assess the damage:
The toll was at more than 1,300 Monday morning, with more than
At Least 568 Killed
in 'Disastrous' 7.8
Feb 6, 2023 1:37 AM CST
At Least 568 Killed in 'Disastrous' 7.8 Earthquake
Buildings topple, death toll expected to rise further in Turkey and Syria
- A powerful 7.8 magnitude earthquake hit southern Turkey and northern Syria early Monday, toppling buildings and killing at least 568 people. With hundreds injured, the toll was expected to rise as rescue workers searched the rubble in cities and towns across the area, the AP reports. On both sides...
To US Diplomats, It's 'Turkiye'
Jan 5, 2023 6:20 PM CST
To US Diplomats, It's 'Turkiye'
State Department agrees to change while standing firm on Burma
- The State Department said Thursday it has adopted Turkey's preferred spelling for the name of the country, Turkiye , acceding to a request from the NATO ally after several months of hesitation. The department has instructed that new official documents refer to Turkiye instead of Turkey, though the pronunciation will...
Jail Sentence Is
Nov 18, 2022 8:55 AM CST
Televangelist's Jail Sentence Is Jaw-Dropping
Turkish cult leader Adnan Oktar gets 8,658 years behind bars
- It doesn't look like Adnan Oktar is getting out of prison anytime soon. The 66-year-old Turkish televangelist—notorious for his rants against evolution and the "British deep state," and for surrounding himself with young women he called "kittens"—found out his fate Wednesday in an...
Istanbul Blast Kills 6, Wounds 53
Nov 13, 2022 10:15 AM CST
Istanbul Blast Kills 6, Wounds 53
Bomb sends people fleeing from crowded shopping, dining district
- A bomb exploded on a popular pedestrian street in Istanbul on Sunday, killing six people, wounding dozens, and sending people fleeing as flames rose. Footage posted online showed ambulances, fire trucks, and police at the scene on Istiklal Avenue, a typically crowded thoroughfare popular with tourists and locals and lined...
Under a Turkish Church, an
'Extremely Important Discovery'
Oct 19, 2022 11:18 AM CDT
Under a Turkish Church, an 'Extremely Important Discovery'
Tomb of St. Nicholas has reportedly been found in Demre
- Santa Claus' last stop was southwest Turkey in the age of the Roman Empire. According to archaeologists in the region, the burial spot of St. Nicholas, the Christian saint whose generosity spawned the Father Christmas legend, has been found in the remains of a church in the town of Demre,...
Coal Mine Blast Kills 41,
Union Calls It a 'Massacre'
Oct 15, 2022 9:00 AM CDT
Coal Mine Blast Kills 41, Union Calls It a 'Massacre'
'A frightful scene' in Amasra, Turkey, after Friday explosion
- Funerals for miners killed in a coal mine explosion in northern Turkey began Saturday as officials raised the death toll to at least 41 people. Desperate relatives had waited all night in the cold outside the state-owned Turkish Hard Coal Enterprise's (TTK) mine in the town of Amasra, in...
'Sewer Rat' Insult Does Not
Sit Well With Turkish Leader
Sep 30, 2022 8:53 AM CDT
'Sewer Rat' Insult Does Not Sit Well With Turkish Leader
Recep Tayyip Erdogan sues German lawmaker over insult
- Turkey's President Recep Tayyip Erdogan is suing a senior German lawmaker who called him a "sewer rat," his lawyer said Friday. Mustafa Kaplan confirmed a report by German weekly
that he had filed a criminal complaint for slander and libel against lawmaker Wolfgang Kubicki on...
'Mad Honey' Blamed for
Bear Cub's Woozy State
Aug 12, 2022 6:32 AM CDT
'Mad Honey' Blamed for Bear Cub's Woozy State
Luckily, bear rescued in Turkey is going to be OK after ingesting hallucinogenic neurotoxin
- Only a few places in the world host native rhododendrons that produce grayanotoxin, a powerful neurotoxin. The honey created by bees who consume the plant's nectar is known as "mad honey" and can cause intoxication. One of those locales is Turkey's Kaçkar Mountains, where a brown...
This Is the Angriest
Country on Earth
Aug 7, 2022 3:25 PM CDT
This Is the Angriest Country on Earth
Lebanon needs to seek out more joy, according to Gallup's latest 'Global Emotions' report
- If you're been seeing red lately, you're still likely not as PO'ed as folks in other parts of the world. Middle East Monitor reports on this year's angriest countries, compiled via data from Gallup's annual "Global Emotions" report . The analytics company's research, which...
WH Issues a Warning on
Putin's Dealings With Iran
Jul 12, 2022 7:43 AM CDT
WH Issues a Warning on Putin's Dealings With Iran
Russian leader, who'll visit Tehran next week, is said to be turning to Iran for 'hundreds' of drones
- Russian President Vladimir Putin will visit Iran next week, the Kremlin said Tuesday, a day after the US warned that Tehran could provide Moscow with drones for its actions in Ukraine. During a trip to Tehran next Tuesday, Putin will attend a trilateral meeting with the leaders of Iran and...
Turkey Drops Objection to
Finland, Sweden Joining NATO
Jun 28, 2022 9:28 PM CDT
Turkey Drops Objection to Finland, Sweden Joining NATO
Alliance leader hails 'historic decision'
: Turkey agreed Tuesday to lift its opposition to Sweden and Finland joining NATO, ending an impasse that had clouded a leaders’ summit opening in Madrid amid Europe’s worst security crisis in decades, triggered by the war in Ukraine. After urgent top-level talks with leaders of the three countries,...
Turkey's New Name
at the UN Has an Umlaut
Jun 2, 2022 9:39 AM CDT
Turkey's New Name at the UN Has an Umlaut
Country is now officially called Türkiye at international body
- Turkey is joining Eswatini, North Macedonia, and the Netherlands in the club of countries that have officially changed their names. The United Nations has granted the country's request to change its name to "Türkiye" at the UN and other international organizations are expected to follow suit , al-Jazeera...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
She Ditched Broadway Dreams, Became Flo From Progressive
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
Pentagon: US Ships Were Attacked in Red Sea
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
Your Walking Speed Affects Health Benefits
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.