Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
A Day Into Military Assault,
Victory Is Declared
Sep 20, 2023 10:05 AM CDT
A Day Into Military Assault, Victory Is Declared
Ethnic Armenians in Nagorno-Karabakh agree to ceasefire after Azerbaijan's major gains: report
- One day into its military assault on the disputed region of Nagorno-Karabakh, Azerbaijan has declared victory. The region's ethnic Armenian leadership agreed to a ceasefire early Wednesday after Azerbaijani forces "made major advances" in the region whose estimated 100,000 Armenian residents have long maintained autonomy from Azerbaijan,...
Rescued Caver Speaks Out
Sep 18, 2023 8:44 AM CDT
Rescued Caver Speaks Out
Mark Dickey is looking forward to getting back in a cave after harrowing ordeal in Turkey
- The American cave researcher rescued after becoming seriously ill while deep, deep underground is out of the hospital and hoping to return to caving soon, he tells NPR . "It's great to be above ground and mobile," 40-year-old Mark Dickey said in an interview from Ankara, Turkey. Doctors...
Quest to Join EU
May Be Ending
Sep 16, 2023 11:30 AM CDT
Turkey's 24-Year Quest to Join EU May Be Ending
Erdogan suggests nation may split with European Union after accusations of 'democratic backsliding'
- President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said Saturday that Turkey may part ways with the European Union, implying that the country is thinking about ending its bid to join the 27-nation bloc. "The EU is making efforts to sever ties with Turkey," he told reporters before departing for the 78th...
US Caver Is Safe
Sep 12, 2023 1:22 AM CDT
After Trickiest of Rescues, US Caver Is Safe
Mark Dickey is back above ground after getting sick in Turkey cave
- After what organizers say was one of the biggest and most complicated underground rescues of all time, US cave explorer Mark Dickey was brought back to the surface safely early Tuesday local time. Dickey, 40, fell ill while mapping unknown pathways in a cavern in Turkey more than a week...
Crypto Founder's Sentence:
11,196 Years in Prison
Sep 8, 2023 2:43 PM CDT
Crypto Founder's Sentence: 11,196 Years in Prison
Faruk Fatih Ozer receives a very, very long sentence in Turkey over collapsed exchange
- Cryptocurrency is often linked to some mind-boggling numbers . Here is one more: 11,196. That is how many years the founder of a failed cryptocurrency exchange has been sentenced to serve in a Turkish prison, reports the
Wall Street Journal
. Faruk Fatih Ozer received the 11-millenia term over the collapse...
Disaster Strikes for
US Cave Explorer
Sep 7, 2023 9:08 AM CDT
Disaster Strikes for US Cave Explorer
150 people work to free scientist Mark Dickey, who fell ill deep inside Turkey's Morca Cave
- Crews are desperately working to save an American cave explorer stuck some 4,000 feet underground in Turkey's third-deepest cavern. Mark Dickey, 40, a cave scientist and rescuer himself, was part of a team of 15 explorers who ventured into the Morca Cave in the remote Taurus mountain belt...
Bust in Massachusetts Museum
May Be a Stolen Antiquity
Sep 5, 2023 2:23 PM CDT
Bust in Massachusetts Museum May Be a Stolen Antiquity
2nd statue allegedly stolen from Turkey is seized by NY authorities
- A bronze bust believed to depict the daughter of an ancient Roman emperor has been seized from an art museum in Massachusetts by New York authorities investigating antiquities stolen from Turkey, per the AP . The seizure is the latest in an ongoing investigation into a smuggling network involving objects looted...
Putin: It's a No for Me
on Ukraine Grain Deal
Sep 4, 2023 11:45 AM CDT
Putin: It's a No for Me on Ukraine Grain Deal
After Turkey talks, Russian leader says he could commit to deal 'within days' if his demands are met
- Earlier Monday, Vladimir Putin had said he was "open to negotiations" on reviving an agreement that would allow Ukraine to export grain and other commodities through Black Sea ports. Those negotiations are now apparently over, at least for now, and the answer from the Russian leader is a no,...
Turkey Reverses Course,
Will Let Sweden Join NATO
Jul 10, 2023 3:04 PM CDT
Turkey Reverses Course, Will Let Sweden Join NATO
Turkish President Erdogan now wants his nation to be allowed to join the EU
- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has relented and agreed to allow Sweden join NATO. NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg made the announcement after talks with Erdogan and Swedish Prime Minister Ulf Kristersson on the eve of a NATO summit in Lithuania, per the AP . Sweden's NATO accession has been held...
NATO May Grow by One,
but Only if Turkey Budges
Jul 6, 2023 6:35 PM CDT
NATO May Grow by One, but Only if Turkey Budges
Nation continues to oppose the addition of Sweden
- Finland became the 31st member of NATO earlier this year. Neighbor Sweden's hopes of becoming the 32nd this month continue to run into a wall of opposition otherwise known as Turkey. All members of the alliance must agree to any new members, explains the
Wall Street Journal
, and Sweden'...
Jun 3, 2023 3:15 PM CDT
Erdogan Decrees 'Turkish Century'
Beginning another term, leader promises new constitution
- Turkey's longtime leader, Recep Tayyip Erdogan, took the oath of office on Saturday, ushering in his third presidential term that followed three stints as prime minister. Erdogan, 69, won a new five-year term in a runoff presidential race last week that could stretch his 20-year rule in the key...
May 28, 2023 1:25 PM CDT
Erdogan Claims Victory
President thanks Turkey for five more years
- President Recep Tayyip Erdogan declared victory Sunday in Turkey's runoff election , extending his increasingly authoritarian rule into a third decade. With nearly 99% of ballot boxes opened, unofficial results from competing news agencies showed Erdogan with 52% of the vote, compared with 48% for his challenger, Kemal Kilicdaroglu. In...
May 28, 2023 8:00 AM CDT
Turkey Tries Again to Elect a Leader
Erdogan favored to stay in office after high-stakes runoff Sunday
- Voters in Turkey returned to the polls Sunday to decide whether the country’s longtime leader stretches his increasingly authoritarian rule into a third decade, or is unseated by a challenger who has promised to restore a more democratic society, per AP . President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, who has been at...
Turkey's High-Stakes Election
Is Still Undecided
May 15, 2023 6:01 AM CDT
Turkey's High-Stakes Election Is Still Undecided
Runoff looks likely between President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and Kemal Kilicdaroglu
- It looks like citizens of Turkey are going to have to return to the polls in two weeks. With 99.4% of votes counted Monday, neither President President Recep Tayyip Erdogan nor challenger Kemal Kilicdaroglu had the necessary 50% to avert a May 28 runoff, reports the AP . Erdogan had...
May 13, 2023 1:00 PM CDT
Erdogan Says He'll Honor Election Result
Rival candidates address democracy in Turkey in final pitches
- Turkish politicians held their final rallies in the last hours of campaigning before Saturday, the eve of pivotal presidential and parliamentary elections that could significantly shape the NATO member's future, before a so-called propaganda ban went into effect. President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, who is facing the toughest challenge in...
Long-Ruling Erdogan Faces
Biggest Test in 20 Years
May 12, 2023 10:43 AM CDT
Long-Ruling Erdogan Faces Biggest Test in 20 Years
Domestic issues could bring down leader with global ambitions
- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has parlayed his country's NATO membership and location straddling Europe and the Middle East into international influence during two decades in power. But like other world leaders with global ambitions, he finds his tenure imperiled by matters closer to home, the AP reports. Turkey'...
at Turkey Summit
May 5, 2023 10:32 AM CDT
Ukrainian, Russian Delegates Scuffle at Turkey Summit
'Paws off Ukraine!' one delegate said after attacking Russian delegate who snatched his flag
- A summit of Black Sea nations took place this week in the Turkish capital of Ankara, a few hundred miles away from Ukraine, but the distance didn't stop tensions from the Russian invasion there from bubbling over into the hallways of Turkey's parliament building. The AP reports that...
Holdout Turkey Approves
Finland Joining NATO
Mar 30, 2023 6:35 PM CDT
Holdout Turkey Approves Finland Joining NATO
Sweden, which applied at the same time, is still waiting
- Turkey on Thursday endorsed Finland's pending membership in NATO on a parliamentary vote, removing the last obstacle to the security alliance's expansion. President Recep Tayyip Erdogan had come out in support of the move, but he has not yet said Sweden—which applied to NATO on the same...
They Want to Join NATO
Together. One May Go Solo
Feb 18, 2023 10:45 AM CST
They Want to Join NATO Together. One May Go Solo
Finnish defense minister says his nation may join alone if Turkey keeps holding up Sweden
- Finland's defense minister said Saturday that his country will join NATO without waiting for Sweden if its Nordic neighbor's accession is held up by the Turkish government. Mikko Savola told the AP on Saturday that Finland would prefer that the two countries join the alliance together, but it...
Update on Soccer
Feb 18, 2023 5:30 AM CST
Heartbreaking Update on Soccer Player Caught in Quake
Body of Christian Atsu, 31, found in Antakya, Turkey, after initially being reported as rescued
- Christian Atsu, the Ghana international forward who played for Premier League clubs Chelsea and Newcastle, has died in the earthquake in Turkey. He was 31. Search teams recovered Atsu's body in the ruins of a luxury 12-story building where he'd been living in the city of Antakya, Hatay...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
26-Year-Old Tech CEO Found Dead in Baltimore
Judge Rules Trump Committed Fraud
3 Boys 'Paid the Ultimate Price' for Mom's Addiction
Young Baltimore Tech CEO Allegedly Killed by Violent Repeat Offender
We Have a Date for Mass Extinction of Mammals
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.