Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Java Volcano Has Now Killed
At Least 13
Dec 5, 2021 8:00 AM CST
Java Volcano Has Now Killed At Least 13
Indonesian officials say others still missing
- The death toll following the eruption of the highest volcano on Indonesia’s most densely populated island of Java has risen to 13, with seven people still missing, officials said Sunday as smoldering debris and thick mud hampered search efforts. Mount Semeru in Lumajang district in East Java province spewed...
Eruption in Indonesia
Dec 4, 2021 3:05 PM CST
Eruption in Indonesia Burns Villagers
One man is killed, dozens of people are hospitalized
- The highest volcano on Indonesia's most densely populated island of Java spewed thick columns of ash, searing gas and lava down its slopes in a sudden eruption triggered by heavy rains on Saturday. At least one villager died of burns, and dozens were hospitalized, the AP reports. Mount Semeru'...
Alaska Issues Alert on
Cloud of 109-Year-Old Ash
Nov 18, 2021 7:03 AM CST
Alaska Issues Alert on Cloud of 109-Year-Old Ash
Wind has whipped up deposits from Novarupta
- Volcano scientists issued an alert Wednesday, warning that a cloud of ash—from an eruption more than century ago—was headed toward Alaska’s Kodiak Island. The ash is from the powerful 1912 eruption of Novarupta, a volcano on the Alaska Peninsula that dropped volcanic ash that is still visible...
of La Palma Dogs
Is a Head-Scratcher
Oct 23, 2021 6:00 AM CDT
Mystery Rescue of La Palma Dogs Is a Head-Scratcher
'The dogs are fine,' said sign left behind by 'A Team,' ahead of drone meant to save them
- A drone operation was set to rescue several dogs from the Spanish island of La Palma, where they've been stranded in a yard surrounded by lava after a volcano eruption that's been going on for more than a month. There'd even been a test run that went...
Island, a Last-Ditch Rescue
Oct 20, 2021 6:33 AM CDT
On Lava-Covered Island, a Last-Ditch Rescue
Drone will swoop in to try to save several dogs trapped in yard on La Palma
- It's a precarious mission in Spain's Canary Islands, one that will require "calm and concentration," but the drone is ready. So says Aerocamaras, the company that will try to rescue several dogs trapped in a yard by lava on La Palma, where a volcano eruption that...
Drones Bring Food, Water
to Dogs Trapped by Volcano
Oct 13, 2021 4:37 PM CDT
Drones Bring Food, Water to Dogs Trapped by Volcano
They were stranded by La Palma eruption
- Several dogs stranded by the ongoing eruption of a volcano in the Canary Islands have been saved from starvation by drone deliveries. Video from La Palma shows the dogs, trapped in a yard in a mountainous area cut off by lava, opening packages of food and water, reports Reuters . Authorities...
Starts New Lava Stream
Oct 10, 2021 10:40 AM CDT
Partial Collapse Starts New Lava Stream
Canary Islands residents lug their belongings from homes
- A new river of lava belched Saturday from the La Palma volcano, spreading more destruction on the Atlantic Ocean island where over 1,000 buildings have already been engulfed or badly damaged by streams of molten rock. The partial collapse of the volcanic cone gave birth to a new lava...
Canary Islands Volcano
Turns 'More Aggressive'
Oct 1, 2021 2:06 PM CDT
Canary Islands Volcano Turns 'More Aggressive'
Two more fissures reported on La Palma, where lava began flowing weeks ago
- An erupting volcano on one of the Canary Islands blew open two more fissures on its cone Friday that belched forth lava, with authorities reporting “intense” activity in the area, per the AP . The new fissures, about 50 feet apart, sent streaks of fiery red and orange molten rock...
On Hawaii's Big Island,
a 'Pretty Unreal' Sight
Sep 30, 2021 7:58 AM CDT
On Hawaii's Big Island, a 'Pretty Unreal' Sight
Eruption of Kilauea volcano is in 'full swing,' per USGS
- As an ongoing volcano eruption on the Spanish island of La Palma continues to wreak havoc , the US Geological Survey says another eruption halfway around the world is in "full swing," reports Reuters . Although local media noted that, as of Wednesday night, there was no immediate danger to...
Lava on La Palma Reaches
Ocean, Creates Pyramid
Sep 29, 2021 2:35 PM CDT
Lava on La Palma Reaches Ocean, Creates Pyramid
Authorities warn of possible toxic gaes
- It may be of little solace to La Palma residents whose homes and livelihoods have been destroyed by the ongoing volcanic eruption, but their island is getting bigger. Lava from an eruption that began on the Spanish island 10 days ago has now reached the Atlantic Ocean, creating a pyramid...
That Withstood a
Sep 29, 2021 12:10 PM CDT
'Miracle Home' That Withstood a Volcano's Flow Succumbs
The owners are 'devastated,' but hope to rebuild
Relief has turned to devastation for the owners of a "miracle home" that initially escaped the lava flow that has destroyed more than 600 other homes in the Canary Islands. The home on La Palma owned by retired Danish couple Inge Bergedorf and Ranier Cocq has now been...
Thousands Homeless, Flights
Canceled as Ash Spews
Sep 25, 2021 5:30 AM CDT
Thousands Homeless, Flights Canceled as Ash Spews
'Evolution of the volcanic emergency' continues on Spanish island of La Palma
- Flights to and from the Spanish island of La Palma were canceled Saturday because of an ash cloud spewing out of a volcano that has been erupting for a week . La Palma Airport operator Aena said on Twitter that plane traffic was suspended "due to the accumulation of ash"...
Lava Moving 400 Feet an Hour
as It Makes Way to the Sea
Sep 22, 2021 10:30 AM CDT
Lava Moving 400 Feet an Hour as It Makes Way to the Sea
Lava is still spewing from Sunday’s eruption in the Canary Islands
- A wall of lava up to 40 feet high bore down on a Spanish village Wednesday as islanders scrambled to save what they could before the molten rock swallowed up their homes following a volcanic eruption. The lava still spewing from Sunday's eruption in the Canary Islands off northwest...
Lava From Volcano
'Will Destroy Everything
Sep 20, 2021 8:12 AM CDT
Lava From Volcano 'Will Destroy Everything It Encounters'
But officials say eruption on La Palma, in Spain's Canary Islands, likely won't kill anyone
- Lava continued to flow slowly from a volcano that erupted in Spain's Canary Islands off northwest Africa, but the head of the regional government said Monday he expects no injuries to people in the area after some 5,000 were evacuated. The AP reports that lava was flowing on...
Europe's Tallest Volcano
Is Growing—and Fast
Aug 13, 2021 11:51 AM CDT
Europe's Tallest Volcano Is Growing—and Fast
Mount Etna at its tallest recorded height following 50 eruptions in 6 months
- Europe's tallest and most active volcano has grown 100 feet in just six months, owing to some 50 eruptions, reaching its tallest height in recorded history, according to a new analysis. For the past 40 years, Mount Etna's tallest peak has been its northeastern crater. But the southeastern...
'Volcano Caught Us With
Our Pants Down, and
It's Very Devastating'
Apr 13, 2021 4:52 PM CDT
'Volcano Caught Us With Our Pants Down, and It's Very Devastating'
After eruption, St. Vincent is running out of water
- Leaders of volcano-wracked St. Vincent said Tuesday that water is running short as heavy ash contaminates supplies, and they estimated that the eastern Caribbean island will need hundreds of millions of dollars to recover from the eruption of La Soufriere. Between 16,000 to 20,000 people have been evacuated...
Caribbean Island Residents
Uprooted by Volcano
Apr 10, 2021 10:40 AM CDT
Caribbean Island Residents Uprooted by Volcano
La Soufriere erupts on St. Vincent, and the explosions may not be over
- Heavy ashfall rained down on parts of the eastern Caribbean island of St. Vincent on Saturday and a strong sulfur smell enveloped communities a day after a powerful explosion at La Soufriere volcano . Caribbean nations including Antigua and Guyana have offered help by either shipping emergency supplies or temporarily opening...
Within Hours of
Volcano Opens Up
Apr 9, 2021 9:45 AM CDT
Within Hours of Evacuation Order, Volcano Opens Up
La Soufriere volcano erupts in St. Vincent
- A volcano on the Caribbean island of St. Vincent erupted Friday, just hours after the government ordered the mandatory evacuation of an estimated 16,000 people. Erouscilla Joseph, director of the University of the West Indies Seismic Center (UWI-SRC), described a 6-mile high column of ash extending from La Soufriere...
Hikers Have to Vamoose
as Volcano Speaks Up
Apr 5, 2021 12:56 PM CDT
Hikers Have to Vamoose as Volcano Speaks Up
Iceland's latest eruption suggests a shift is underway
- As volcanic eruptions go, the latest one in Iceland has been a relatively tame affair. Gentle lava flows have allowed hikers in Geldinga Valley to get up close and personal—and even roast hot dogs, as photos rounded up in the
show. Things changed Monday, however, when a new...
Incredible Drone Footage
Mar 23, 2021 3:11 AM CDT
Incredible Drone Footage Captures Iceland Volcano Eruption
Filmmaker says drone did not even appear damaged by its adventure
- "Whoa" is really the only word to describe the footage captured by a drone of a volcanic eruption in Iceland. Fagradalsfjall erupted over the weekend for the first time in more than 800 years, CNET reports. Filmmaker Bjorn Steinbekk sent the drone over the 1,263-foot volcano, Newsweek reports....
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Pence: Errant Comma in Book Affects Meaning of Trump Line
Matthew Perry's Famous Stepdad Breaks His Silence
Researchers May Have Cracked a Cancer Enigma
Woman Dies After Falling Into Home's Hidden Well Shaft
Cause of Death Released for Former Child Star
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.