Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
After Volcano Burst,
'Most Extreme Concentration
of Lightning' Ever
Jan 10, 2023 10:15 AM CST
After Volcano Burst, 'Most Extreme Concentration of Lightning' Ever
Eruption of Tonga's Hunga volcano spurred 400K lightning events in 6 hours
- Showers of ash, giant waves, and massive explosions weren't the the only things locals had to worry about when Tonga's Hunga Tonga-Hunga Ha'apai volcano erupted last January in the South Pacific. Lightning also made an appearance, and a whole lot of it—so much, in fact, that...
A Sleeping Giant Awakes,
With Plenty of Spectators
Dec 1, 2022 6:48 AM CST
A Sleeping Giant Awakes, With Plenty of Spectators
Lava is flowing from Hawaii's Mauna Loa volcano, now erupting after a 38-year sleep
- The world's largest volcano oozed rivers of glowing lava Wednesday, drawing thousands of awestruck viewers who jammed a Hawaii highway that could soon be covered by the flow. Mauna Loa awoke from its 38-year slumber Sunday, causing volcanic ash and debris to drift down from the sky. A main...
World's Largest Active Volcano
Erupts for First Time Since '84
Nov 28, 2022 8:23 AM CST
World's Largest Active Volcano Erupts for First Time Since '84
Hawaii's Mauna Loa breaks its silence
- Hawaii's Mauna Loa volcano has erupted for the first time in nearly four decades, reports NBC News . The eruption at the world's largest active volcano—the first one since 1984—began about about 11:30pm Sunday, according to the US Geological Survey. So far, the eruption is contained...
Living Near Volcano
Should Prepare 'Go Bag'
Oct 28, 2022 11:38 AM CDT
Hawaii: People Living Near Volcano Should Prepare 'Go Bag'
There are ominous signs at Mauna Loa
- Hawaii officials are warning residents of the Big Island that the world’s largest active volcano, Mauna Loa, is sending signals that it may erupt. Scientists say an eruption isn’t imminent, but they are on alert because of a recent spike in earthquakes at the volcano’s summit. Experts...
Watch These Slackliners Set
a Heart-Stopping Record
Sep 28, 2022 1:27 PM CDT
Watch These Slackliners Set a Heart-Stopping Record
Daredevils Rafael Bridi, Alexander Schulz made longest walk over active volcano in early pandemic
- If walking over an active volcano via slackline is on your bucket list, you might look to Brazilian daredevil Rafael Bridi for guidance. Per UPI, Bridi and fellow slacklining enthusiast Alexander Schulz of Germany set a Guinness World Record for "longest slackline walk over an active volcano," which...
The World Has
a New Island
Sep 25, 2022 6:06 AM CDT
The World Has a New Island
Latest addition to Tonga islands after volcanic eruption might be short-lived
- The world's land area is a tiny bit bigger than it was a month ago thanks to an eruption in the southwest Pacific Ocean. NASA's Earth Observatory says an island rose above the surface of the water around 12 hours after an eruption began Sept. 10 on a...
12 Climbers Went Up
the Volcano. Then 5 Fell
Sep 6, 2022 12:37 PM CDT
12 Climbers Went Up the Volcano. Then 5 Fell
Only a few survivors were evacuated from Russia's Klyuchevskaya Sopka, Eurasia's tallest volcano
- A dozen climbers went up a Siberian volcano last week, but only a few have come back down. According to the Russian state agency Ria Novosti, the group of 12 began ascending Klyuchevskaya Sopka, Eurasia's tallest volcano, located on the Kamchatka Peninsula in Russia's far northeast, on Aug....
Scientists Say Tonga Eruption
Deserves 'Ultra' Designation
Jan 25, 2022 2:41 PM CST
Scientists Say Tonga Eruption Deserves 'Ultra' Designation
It was many times more powerful than the atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima
- Scientists are continuing to paint a picture of just how strong the undersea volcanic eruption that happened Jan. 15 near the island nation of Tonga was. In short, many, many,
multiples of the nuclear bomb dropped on Hiroshima. NBC News has a statement from NASA that puts the preliminary...
After Tonga's Massive
Eruption, 'Very Good News'
Jan 18, 2022 8:07 AM CST
After Tonga's Massive Eruption, 'Very Good News'
'Catastrophic' disaster was apparently averted, though at least 2 have died and ash is everywhere
- The blast from the volcano could be heard in Alaska, and the waves crossed the ocean to cause an oil spill and two drownings in Peru. The startling satellite images resembled a massive nuclear explosion. And yet, despite sitting almost on top of the volcano that erupted so violently on...
First, a 'Violent'
Eruption. Then, 'Darkness
Blanketing the Sky'
Jan 15, 2022 6:00 AM CST
First, a 'Violent' Eruption. Then, 'Darkness Blanketing the Sky'
Undersea volcano erupts near Tonga, waves crash to shore amid tsunami warning
- An undersea volcano erupted in spectacular fashion near the Pacific nation of Tonga on Saturday, sending large waves crashing across the shore and people rushing to higher ground. There were no immediate reports of injuries or the extent of the damage as communications with the small nation, home to about...
Man Dies After Fall
Into Hawaii Volcano
Jan 4, 2022 7:03 PM CST
Man Dies After Fall Into Hawaii Volcano
75-year-old was in closed-off area, NPS says
- The National Park Service says it is investigating the death of a Hawaii man who apparently fell into an active volcano at Hawaii Volcanoes National Park Sunday night. The NPS said in a statement that relatives reported the man missing from inside the park around 12:15am Monday, Hawaii News...
After Eruption, Search
Continues for Survivors
Dec 6, 2021 7:00 AM CST
After Eruption, Search Continues for Survivors
Death toll from Mt. Semeru in Indonesia rises to 15, but more are missing
- It's one of the most active volcanoes in a nation known for them, and the eruption that began Saturday on Mt. Semeru in Indonesia isn't over yet. Details:
The death toll in East Java province rose to 15 on Monday, but at least 27 are missing, reports CNN
Java Volcano Has Now Killed
At Least 13
Dec 5, 2021 8:00 AM CST
Java Volcano Has Now Killed At Least 13
Indonesian officials say others still missing
- The death toll following the eruption of the highest volcano on Indonesia’s most densely populated island of Java has risen to 13, with seven people still missing, officials said Sunday as smoldering debris and thick mud hampered search efforts. Mount Semeru in Lumajang district in East Java province spewed...
Eruption in Indonesia
Dec 4, 2021 3:05 PM CST
Eruption in Indonesia Burns Villagers
One man is killed, dozens of people are hospitalized
- The highest volcano on Indonesia's most densely populated island of Java spewed thick columns of ash, searing gas and lava down its slopes in a sudden eruption triggered by heavy rains on Saturday. At least one villager died of burns, and dozens were hospitalized, the AP reports. Mount Semeru'...
Alaska Issues Alert on
Cloud of 109-Year-Old Ash
Nov 18, 2021 7:03 AM CST
Alaska Issues Alert on Cloud of 109-Year-Old Ash
Wind has whipped up deposits from Novarupta
- Volcano scientists issued an alert Wednesday, warning that a cloud of ash—from an eruption more than century ago—was headed toward Alaska’s Kodiak Island. The ash is from the powerful 1912 eruption of Novarupta, a volcano on the Alaska Peninsula that dropped volcanic ash that is still visible...
of La Palma Dogs
Is a Head-Scratcher
Oct 23, 2021 6:00 AM CDT
Mystery Rescue of La Palma Dogs Is a Head-Scratcher
'The dogs are fine,' said sign left behind by 'A Team,' ahead of drone meant to save them
- A drone operation was set to rescue several dogs from the Spanish island of La Palma, where they've been stranded in a yard surrounded by lava after a volcano eruption that's been going on for more than a month. There'd even been a test run that went...
Island, a Last-Ditch Rescue
Oct 20, 2021 6:33 AM CDT
On Lava-Covered Island, a Last-Ditch Rescue
Drone will swoop in to try to save several dogs trapped in yard on La Palma
- It's a precarious mission in Spain's Canary Islands, one that will require "calm and concentration," but the drone is ready. So says Aerocamaras, the company that will try to rescue several dogs trapped in a yard by lava on La Palma, where a volcano eruption that...
Drones Bring Food, Water
to Dogs Trapped by Volcano
Oct 13, 2021 4:37 PM CDT
Drones Bring Food, Water to Dogs Trapped by Volcano
They were stranded by La Palma eruption
- Several dogs stranded by the ongoing eruption of a volcano in the Canary Islands have been saved from starvation by drone deliveries. Video from La Palma shows the dogs, trapped in a yard in a mountainous area cut off by lava, opening packages of food and water, reports Reuters . Authorities...
Starts New Lava Stream
Oct 10, 2021 10:40 AM CDT
Partial Collapse Starts New Lava Stream
Canary Islands residents lug their belongings from homes
- A new river of lava belched Saturday from the La Palma volcano, spreading more destruction on the Atlantic Ocean island where over 1,000 buildings have already been engulfed or badly damaged by streams of molten rock. The partial collapse of the volcanic cone gave birth to a new lava...
Canary Islands Volcano
Turns 'More Aggressive'
Oct 1, 2021 2:06 PM CDT
Canary Islands Volcano Turns 'More Aggressive'
Two more fissures reported on La Palma, where lava began flowing weeks ago
- An erupting volcano on one of the Canary Islands blew open two more fissures on its cone Friday that belched forth lava, with authorities reporting “intense” activity in the area, per the AP . The new fissures, about 50 feet apart, sent streaks of fiery red and orange molten rock...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Teen Admits Horrific Murder of Classmate, 13
Vendor Serves Up Another 'Insensitive' School Lunch
Musk Is Worried About Himself. So Is His Mom
Western New York Jolted Awake: 'Felt Like a Car Hit My House
Chris Brown Didn't Take His Grammy Loss Well
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.