Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Investigators: Face Scratches
a Clue to
Jun 29, 2022 10:10 AM CDT
Investigators: Face Scratches a Clue to
Rep says Mary Mara may have had accidental fall before drowning
Investigators believe actress Mary Mara may have suffered an accident before drowning in upstate New York on Sunday. That's according to rep Craig Dorfman, who tells TMZ that investigators found abrasions on Mara's face. Based on those abrasions, they think she may have fallen and hit her...
Carnival Cruise Ship Brawl
Ends in Coast Guard Escort
Jun 29, 2022 9:50 AM CDT
Carnival Cruise Ship Brawl Ends in Coast Guard Escort
Up to 60 people were reportedly fighting on ship's dance floor
- Up to 60 people were involved in a brawl on a Carnival cruise ship, which ultimately required a Coast Guard escort back to New York on Tuesday. The fight erupted on a dance floor on the Carnival Magic around 5:20am Tuesday just before the ship was scheduled to wrap...
At This Eatery, a Grubhub
Order Stopped Workers Cold
in case you missed it
Jun 26, 2022 3:55 PM CDT
At This Eatery, a Grubhub Order Stopped Workers Cold
Cops say hostage was rescued after writing on her order: 'Please call the police'
- Usually in the "additional instructions" field on Grubhub orders, customers specify food allergies or ask for extra condiments. Cops say for one New York City-area woman, that section on the app became a place to plead for help, and helped lead to her rescue. ABC7 reports that an order...
Supreme Court Gives Big Win
to Gun Rights Advocates
Jun 23, 2022 10:18 AM CDT
Supreme Court Gives Big Win to Gun Rights Advocates
Justices strike down New York law restricting who can carry concealed weapons
- The Supreme Court handed advocates for gun rights a major victory on Thursday with a ruling expected to make it easier for people to carry concealed handguns:
The court struck down a New York law requiring that people who want to carry concealed weapons must show a "proper
She Hit the Wrong Pedal,
but a Teen Saved Her Life
Jun 16, 2022 10:20 AM CDT
She Hit the Wrong Pedal, but a Teen Saved Her Life
Anthony Zhongor, 17, rescued Mia Samolinski, 18, from Long Island's Patchogue Bay
- A scary moment led to a heroic one this week at Long Island's Patchogue Bay. A 17-year-old named Anthony Zhongor rescued 18-year-old Mia Samolinski after she hit the gas instead of the brake on her SUV and plunged into the bay from a parking lot, reports NBC News . The...
Punches Were Thrown
on the Ice—and Then Off
Jun 10, 2022 1:15 PM CDT
Punches Were Thrown on the Ice—and Then Off
New York Rangers fan facing assault charges after sucker punch caught on video
- Thursday's hockey game between the Tampa Bay Lightning and New York Rangers ended with punches on and off the ice. Shortly after players traded blows to mark the end of the Lightning's 3-1 victory over the Rangers at Madison Square Garden, which put the Lightning up 3-2 in...
to Take a Hit in This State
Jun 3, 2022 12:03 PM CDT
Cryptomining Poised to Take a Hit in This State
Landmark environmental measure slowing down operations passes New York state Legislature
- A milestone environmental measure designed to tap the brakes on the spread of cryptocurrency mining operations burning fossil fuels in New York has passed the state Legislature. The closely watched bill approved Friday by the state Senate would establish a two-year moratorium on new and renewed air permits for fossil...
NYPD: This Couple Tried to
Make Off With a Basquiat
May 26, 2022 11:13 AM CDT
NYPD: This Couple Tried to Make Off With a Basquiat
But police say they left gallery without the painting
- It was an audacious and nearly successful move: Police on Wednesday said a man and woman entered a Manhattan gallery on May 14, took a $45,000 painting by Jean-Michel Basquiat from the wall, and began to walk out. They were stopped before making it out of Taglialatella Galleries, however....
Bid Fond Farewell
May 25, 2022 11:18 AM CDT
New Yorkers Bid Fond Farewell to Once-Iconic Street Staple
City's last public pay phone is yanked from its perch on corner of 49th Street, 7th Avenue
- You can save those quarters for laundry—New York City's last freestanding public pay phone is no more. The Big Apple's "planned long goodbye" for these technological relics came to a close Monday, as the last unit was yanked from the ground at the corner of 49th...
Suspect in NYC Subway
Killing Gives Himself Up
May 24, 2022 2:45 PM CDT
Suspect in NYC Subway Killing Gives Himself Up
Andrew Abdullah, 25, surrendered on Tuesday
The man wanted in a seemingly unprovoked fatal shooting on a New York City subway turned himself in to police on Tuesday. WABC reports Andrew Abdullah, 25, surrendered to police at a Manhattan precinct after his Brooklyn-based pastor first went to the Fifth Precinct and "worked out the...
Man Fatally Shot on
NYC Subway in
May 23, 2022 12:57 AM CDT
Man Fatally Shot on NYC Subway in Unprovoked Attack
Sunday shooting appears to be random, police say
- As a 48-year-old man was seated in the last car of a subway en route from Brooklyn to Manhattan Sunday morning, he was fatally shot by another subway rider in what appears to have been a random attack. Witnesses told police that as the train crossed the Manhattan Bridge, the...
Monkeypox May Have Made
Its Way to 2nd US State
May 20, 2022 7:54 AM CDT
Monkeypox May Have Made Its Way to 2nd US State
Massachusetts had already reported a case of rare disease; now, a suspected case in New York City
- The UK , Portugal, and Spain have all recently reported a small number of confirmed or suspected cases of monkeypox, and on Wednesday, Massachusetts phoned in its own report , as officials tried to see if it was linked with the ones overseas. Now, a possible second case in another US city:...
'Payton, You're a Coward!'
May 19, 2022 11:00 AM CDT
'Payton, You're a Coward!'
Suspected Buffalo shooter makes court appearance, is jeered by relative of a victim
- The legal case against the accused gunman in Buffalo's mass shooting advanced on Thursday, but not before Payton Gendron got a message from a relative of one of the victims. "Payton, you're a coward!" shouted the family member as the 18-year-old was being led from a...
Idea Flops: 'I Hate You'
May 19, 2022 7:42 AM CDT
Grubhub's Free-Lunch Idea Flops: 'I Hate You'
Chaos ensues in NYC as restaurants are overwhelmed by thousands of orders
- Turns out "there's no such thing as a free lunch" is sadly accurate after all, at least for thousands of New Yorkers who recently tried to take advantage of a scrumptious-sounding Grubhub promotion. NPR reports that the food delivery service, after finding out via an internal survey that...
Buffalo Shooting Raises
Questions on Red-Flag Law
May 17, 2022 3:00 PM CDT
Buffalo Shooting Raises Questions on Red-Flag Law
Suspected gunman was able to buy a weapon despite writing threats at school
- New York has a "red-flag" law that prohibits a person who presents a threat to themselves or others from buying or possessing a gun. So how did the suspect in Saturday's mass shooting in Buffalo legally buy a semi-automatic rifle in the state less than a year after...
11-Year-Old Walking With
Her Family Shot in Bronx
May 17, 2022 9:34 AM CDT
11-Year-Old Walking With Her Family Shot in Bronx
Girl was shot as 2 people on a motorized scooter chased a man running down the sidewalk
- A "senseless" shooting has claimed the life of an 11-year-old girl in New York City after a stray bullet hit her during a chase among strangers. CBS New York reports on the Monday afternoon shooting, which took place in the Longwood neighborhood of the Bronx around 5pm as the...
Buffalo Shooting Puts
'Great Replacement' in Spotlight
May 16, 2022 10:35 AM CDT
Buffalo Shooting Puts 'Great Replacement' in Spotlight
There's really 2 versions of it floating around, one more extreme than the other
- The phrase "great replacement" has been in wide circulation in the media since Saturday's mass shooting in Buffalo because authorities say the suspected gunman embraced it in a 180-page racist screed posted online before the attack. Lots of outlets are providing primers:
One hard-core version has been
Official: Suspect Had Plans
'to Shoot More Black People'
May 16, 2022 9:45 AM CDT
Official: Suspect Had Plans 'to Shoot More Black People'
Possibly at 'another large superstore' in Buffalo, per the city's police commissioner
- As more details trickle out on the victims of Saturday's mass shooting in Buffalo, NY, more on the alleged gunman is also emerging, including a chilling glimpse at what he'd possibly planned to do if he hadn't been stopped. Joseph Gramaglia, the city's police commissioner, told...
What We Know About the
Buffalo Shooting Victims
May 16, 2022 1:01 AM CDT
What We Know About the Buffalo Shooting Victims
The 10 killed and 3 injured have been identified
- Aaron Salter was a beloved community member and security guard who knew the shoppers of Tops Friendly Market by name. When they came under attack from a gunman with a rifle, he sprang into action. The retired Buffalo police officer fired multiple times at the attacker, striking his armor-plated vest...
Police Took Shooting Suspect
for Evaluation Last Year
May 15, 2022 5:45 PM CDT
Police Took Shooting Suspect for Evaluation Last Year
Police say he made a threat about carrying out a shooting at his high school
- Police became aware of the suspect now being held in the mass shooting Saturday at a Buffalo supermarket last year, after they said he threatened an attack at his high school. State troopers were called to Susquehanna Valley High School in Conklin, New York, last June, the AP reports. They...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Deborrah Collier Bought Some Items Before Her Odd Death
Moans and Worse Heard Over Airline's PA System
Couple Saves Injured Baby Allegedly Abandoned by Dad
Chess Champ Finally Unloads Cheating Allegations
Court Doc: Texas AG Fled While Being Served Subpoena
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.