Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
6 Killed, One Injured
in Suspected Arson
Jul 3, 2023 10:45 AM CDT
6 Killed, One Injured in Suspected Arson
Ryan Lenard Manigo charged with attempted murder; more charges are pending
- A South Carolina man stands charged after six people were found dead in a house fire Sunday in Green Pond, with the lone survivor airlifted to a nearby hospital in critical condition. Ryan Lenard Manigo, 33, is charged with the attempted murder of the survivor, and CNN reports that further...
Trump Crowd Boos Graham
for Six Minutes
Jul 2, 2023 1:31 PM CDT
Trump Crowd Boos Graham for Six Minutes
This took place in South Carolina, the senator's home state
- Amost 75% of those voting in South Carolina's Pickens County backed then-President Donald Trump in the 2020 election, and it showed Saturday. As many as 50,000 supporters swarmed Main Street in Pickens, the county seat, on a hot and muggy day to hear the candidate speak at the...
Lawsuit: SC Fire Chief Chased
Teens, Held Them at Gunpoint
Jun 23, 2023 9:39 AM CDT
Lawsuit: SC Fire Chief Chased Teens, Held Them at Gunpoint
They were pursued after using chief's driveway to turn around
- A fire chief in South Carolina is being sued over what the mothers of two teenagers say was conduct "utterly intolerable in a civilized community." According to the lawsuit, Townville Fire Chief Billy McAdams and his son chased two 17-year-olds at high speeds and held them at gunpoint...
Commute Goes Viral
Jun 16, 2023 10:26 AM CDT
College Intern's Grueling 1.2K-Mile Commute Goes Viral
Sophia Celentano actually saves money by flying from SC to gig in NJ every Wednesday
- College student Sophia Celentano gets up around 3am every Wednesday to get ready for her summer internship—not because her gig starts very early (it's a traditional 9-to-5), but because she's a "super commuter," flying 600 miles one way from her home in Charleston, South Carolina,...
Get Ready to
Jun 14, 2023 11:08 AM CDT
Deep South, Get Ready to Get Walloped
Severe thunderstorms, winds, tornadoes, hail blowing through on Wednesday
- Americans in the Deep South might want to find a nice Yankee cousin to visit for a couple of days, because the weather is looking to be, shall we say, unpleasant? As Weather.com reports, a strong jet stream is ripping through the region starting Wednesday, bringing with it severe...
Cops: Woman Mouths 'Help Me'
at Police Stop, Is Rescued
in case you missed it
Jun 11, 2023 4:10 PM CDT
Cops: Woman Mouths 'Help Me' at Police Stop, Is Rescued
Passenger allegedly forced her at gunpoint to drive him away from a shooting
- Thanks to a traffic stop made by an observant officer, police say a South Carolina woman is safe and her passenger, a suspect in an attempted murder, is under arrest. Citing a Facebook post from the Myrtle Beach Police Department,
reports that officer Kayla Wallace pulled over a...
Cops: Alleged Robber Used
'Gun' Many Will Recognize
Jun 3, 2023 9:30 AM CDT
Cops: Alleged Robber Used 'Gun' Many Will Recognize
Officials say David Joseph Dalesandro held up convenience store with Nintendo 'Duck Hunt' pistol
- An armed robbery this week at a South Carolina convenience store apparently wasn't as "armed" as the clerk thought. CNN reports on the Tuesday incident at a Kwik Stop in the small town of Sharon, where a man donning a hoodie, wig, and mask entered the store around...
Cops: Store Owner Shot
14-Year-Old as He Ran Away
May 30, 2023 7:43 PM CDT
Cops: Store Owner Shot 14-Year-Old as He Ran Away
Rick Chow wrongly thought Cyrus Carmack-Belton had been shoplifting, sheriff says
- A 14-year-old boy was fatally shot Sunday by the owner of a gas station and convenience store in South Carolina who wrongly believed he had been shoplifting, authorities say. Rick Chow, 58, has been charged with murder in death of Cyrus Carmack-Belton, NBC reports. Police say Chow chased the teen...
School Bus, Tanker Truck
Collide, Injuring 17 Kids
May 27, 2023 9:30 AM CDT
School Bus, Tanker Truck Collide, Injuring 17 Kids
Driver also hospitalized in crash in South Carolina's Lexington County
- All 18 people, mostly children, hurt this week in a crash involving a South Carolina school bus and tanker truck are now back home recuperating. NBC News has video of the Thursday collision, which took place around 4pm ET at an intersection in Lexington County, the South Carolina Highway Patrol...
May 26, 2023 1:00 PM CDT
South Carolina Judge Halts 6-Week Abortion Ban
Ban reverts back to 20 weeks until state Supreme Court can review law, per Judge Clifton Newman
- A judge on Friday put a temporary halt to South Carolina's new law banning most abortions around six weeks of pregnancy until the state Supreme Court can review the measure. The ruling by Judge Clifton Newman came just about 24 hours after Gov. Henry McMaster signed the bill. The...
School Shooter Who Killed
6-Year-Old Pleads for Mercy
May 24, 2023 8:46 AM CDT
School Shooter Who Killed 6-Year-Old Pleads for Mercy
SC's Jesse Osborne, now 21, killed Jacob Hall in 2016 and now seeks to be released in his 60s
- A 21-year-old man serving two life sentences plus 30 years for murdering his father and subsequently carrying out a deadly school shooting is asking a judge for mercy so that he might eventually get out of prison. On Sept. 28, 2016, Jesse Osborne killed his father as he slept in...
GOP 'Sister Senators' of SC
Vote Against Abortion Ban
May 24, 2023 1:30 AM CDT
GOP 'Sister Senators' of SC Vote Against Abortion Ban
But South Carolina Senate passes 6-week abortion ban all the same
- Abortion is currently legal in South Carolina until 22 weeks of pregnancy, but that window is set to sharply narrow. The state's Republican-led Senate passed a bill on Tuesday that would ban abortions at the earliest sign of cardiac activity, which typically happens around six weeks; most people are...
Cops: She Was Drowning
2nd Child When 3rd Intervened
May 23, 2023 10:15 AM CDT
Cops: She Was Drowning 2nd Child When 3rd Intervened
SC's Jamie Bradley-Brun charged with murder of 6-year-old, attempted murder of 8-year-old
- A 16-year-old girl who awoke to the sound of her 8-year-old sister screaming managed to save the sibling from an attempted drowning by her own mother, according to South Carolina police. Sadly, another sister, 6-year-old Mackaya Bradley-Brun, could not be saved. She's presumed to have drowned. Police have arrested...
Notorious SC Killer Cleans Up
Her Act—With Eye on Parole
May 23, 2023 8:56 AM CDT
Notorious SC Killer Cleans Up Her Act—With Eye on Parole
Susan Smith, who drowned 2 sons in 1994, will face a parole board in November 2024
- Susan Smith was in her early 20s when she told police that a Black man had stolen her car, with her two young sons inside. Actually, she'd let her car roll into a lake, drowning the boys still strapped in their car seats. She was sentenced to life in...
Just Got More
May 19, 2023 10:55 AM CDT
The 2024 GOP Race Just Got More Interesting
Sen. Tim Scott of South Carolina officially files the paperwork to run in 2024
- He's in. GOP Sen. Tim Scott of South Carolina filed the paperwork Friday to run for president in 2024 with the Federal Election Commission, reports CNN . Scott, the only Black Republican senator, is expected to have a traditional campaign launch on Monday. The paperwork isn't the only Scott...
Man Sues After Bride
Was Killed on Wedding Night
May 19, 2023 12:43 AM CDT
Man Sues After Bride Was Killed on Wedding Night
Aric Hutchinson says woman accused of killing his wife should not have been served alcohol
- Samantha Miller was killed on her wedding night in South Carolina when an allegedly drunk driver crashed into the golf cart Miller was riding on with her new husband. Now, the newly widowed man is suing over the tragedy, CBS News reports. Aric Hutchinson is suing the woman accused of...
Woman Accused of Killing Bride
Had Sky-High BAC: Report
May 13, 2023 9:30 AM CDT
Woman Accused of Killing Bride Had Sky-High BAC: Report
Toxicology report found Jamie Komoroski's blood alcohol content was 3 times legal limit before crash
- A woman accused of ramming her car at high speed into a golf cart last month—killing bride Samantha Hutchinson, who'd just gotten married—had a blood alcohol content that was more than triple the legal limit, per a South Carolina Law Enforcement Division toxicology report seen by CNN...
GOP Pol Slams Own
Leader for 'Taking Us
Off a Cliff' on Abortion
Apr 29, 2023 8:30 AM CDT
GOP Pol Slams Own Leader for 'Taking Us Off a Cliff' on Abortion
Abortion bans in red states of South Carolina, Nebraska fall short in votes
- Abortion bans in Nebraska and South Carolina fell short of advancing in close votes amid heated debates among Republicans, confounding conservatives who've dominated both legislatures and further exposing the chasm on the issue of abortion within the GOP. In Nebraska, where abortion is banned after 20 weeks of pregnancy,...
Family of Woman
Killed by Alligator
Blames Pond Builder
Apr 21, 2023 1:05 PM CDT
Family of Woman Killed by Alligator Blames Pond Builder
SC retirement community, developer named in wrongful death suit
- The family of an elderly South Carolina woman killed by an alligator in August is blaming her retirement community. Sun City Hilton Head failed to take steps to prevent alligators from making a home in the "manmade ponds and ponding basins" into which Nancy Becker fell while trimming shrubs...
12 of America's First Heroes to
Be Reburied in South Carolina
Apr 15, 2023 8:40 AM CDT
12 of America's First Heroes to Be Reburied in South Carolina
The Revolutionary War soldiers lost their lives at the Battle of Camden
- The 12 US soldiers died in a pine forest in South Carolina in 1780, their bodies hastily buried beneath a thin layer of soil as their comrades fled from the British who appeared ready to put a quick and brutal end to the American Experiment. But later this month, the...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
The Opioid Crisis Is Crossing Over to Something Darker
Dolly Parton's Sister Has a NSFW Message for Critics
Mother of Burlington Suspect: He Thinks 'World Is a Mess'
Former WWE Star Sentenced to 17 Years After Fatal DUI Crash
Sandy Hook Families Give Alex Jones Options for Paying
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.