Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
SC Woman Killed by
Umbrella on Beach Outing
Aug 12, 2022 7:44 AM CDT
SC Woman Killed by Umbrella on Beach Outing
Tammy Perreault, 63, died Wednesday in South Carolina
- A midweek beach outing turned tragic for a South Carolina woman after an umbrella blew over and fatally impaled her. WMBF reports that 63-year-old Tammy Perreault of Horry County was struck in the chest Wednesday around 12:40pm by the umbrella. It had toppled with the wind on the shore...
Murdaugh: I Want to Be Tried
by 'God and My Country'
Jul 20, 2022 12:15 PM CDT
Murdaugh: I Want to Be Tried by 'God and My Country'
He pleads not guilty to killing wife, son
- Alex Murdaugh, the disbarred South Carolina lawyer charged with murdering his wife and son last year, appeared in court Wednesday and pleaded not guilty. In answer to a prosecutor's question on how he wanted to be tried, he said, "By God and my country," the
Alex Murdaugh Indicted
in Murder of Wife, Son
Jul 14, 2022 11:22 AM CDT
Alex Murdaugh Indicted in Murder of Wife, Son
South Carolina attorney is charged in double-homicide
This summary has been updated with Thursday's indictment.
A grand jury in South Carolina has indicted attorney Alex Murdaugh in the high-profile murders of his wife and son last year, reports the AP . The indictments are for two counts of murder and two counts of possession of a...
Workplace Discovery Solves
Missing Man's Disappearance
Jul 10, 2022 8:15 AM CDT
Workplace Discovery Solves Missing Man's Disappearance
Alex Gordon fell into industrial shredder at South Carolina plant weeks ago
- A 20-year-old employee at a recycling plant in South Carolina seemed to vanish without a trace in May. Now, the coroner in Spartanburg County has solved the mystery: Alex Gordon fell into a giant plastic shredder at the Industrial Recycling and Recovery plant in Greer, reports the
. The revelation...
'Tragic, Freak Accident' in
SC Pond Also a Rare One
Jun 27, 2022 10:20 AM CDT
'Tragic, Freak Accident' in SC Pond Also a Rare One
Officials say alligator yanked victim into retention pond, killed him in Myrtle Beach
- There have been only three recorded human deaths due to alligator attacks in South Carolina, but on Friday, a fourth fatality was added to that list. In a Friday Facebook post , the Horry County Police Department reported that shortly before noon that day, a call came in to local firefighters...
Lottery Winner Credits
TV Show for His Luck
Jun 27, 2022 6:39 AM CDT
Lottery Winner Credits TV Show for His Luck
South Carolina winner uses strategy from TLC program
- Odds are that most people who try this strategy are going to lose about $300. A South Carolina man, however, got lucky and won a $100,000 prize. And as CNN reports, the unidentified man credits the strategy he picked up while watching TLC's show
The Lottery Changed My
SC Candidate, 40, Seeks
Age Limit for Politicians
Jun 23, 2022 5:05 AM CDT
SC Candidate, 40, Seeks Age Limit for Politicians
Joe Cunningham says country is being run by 'geriatric oligarchy'
- Democratic gubernatorial nominee Joe Cunningham is proposing an age limit for South Carolina politicians—a cap that would cut off the 75-year-old incumbent Gov. Henry McMaster—and making a veiled argument that even fellow Democrats like President Biden are staying "in office way past their prime." "Our...
Republicans Who Criticized
Trump Face Tough Primaries
Jun 14, 2022 6:54 PM CDT
Republicans Who Criticized Trump Face Tough Primaries
In South Carolina, Rice has 6 challengers
- Two Republican US House incumbents in South Carolina who have drawn the ire of former President Donald Trump now find themselves facing tough primary challenges on Tuesday from candidates he has endorsed. Reps. Nancy Mace and Tom Rice criticized Trump after the Jan. 6 insurrection, with Rice among the 10...
Deputy's Crash Brings
Reckless Homicide Charges
Jun 8, 2022 4:45 PM CDT
Deputy's Crash Brings Reckless Homicide Charges
Cruiser hit car carrying a woman and 2 daughters
- A South Carolina sheriff's deputy has been charged with reckless homicide, a month after officials said she ran a stop sign and slammed into a car carrying three people. Deputy Emily Pelletier's car did not have the blue lights or the siren on at the time, said Charleston...
Boy Dies on Vacation in SC
in 'Senseless, Senseless Act'
Jun 2, 2022 10:25 AM CDT
Boy Dies on Vacation in SC in 'Senseless, Senseless Act'
Quarius Naqua Dunham of NH was fatally shot by man who allegedly was firing randomly at cars
- A family vacation in South Carolina turned tragic after an 8-year-old boy was fatally shot by a man who was randomly firing at cars, according to local police. NBC News reports on the incident near Florence, where third-grader Quarius Naqua Dunham of New Hampshire was driving with his family around...
Deputy Sentenced to 18 Years
in Drowning of 2 Detainees
May 20, 2022 4:02 AM CDT
Deputy Sentenced to 18 Years in Drowning of 2 Detainees
Women were trapped in back of van after Stephen Flood tried to drive through water
- A former deputy in South Carolina who ignored supervisors' suggestions of alternate routes and tried to drive through floodwaters has been found guilty on all charges in the deaths of two women trapped in the back of a sheriff's department van. Stephen Flood, 70, was sentenced to 18 years...
Arrest Made in
2009 Myrtle Beach
May 16, 2022 5:31 PM CDT
Arrest Made in 2009 Myrtle Beach Disappearance
Brittanee Drexel, 17, vanished during spring break
- A full 13 years after Brittanee Drexel disappeared while on spring break in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina authorities said Monday that a suspect has been charged in her death. Raymond Moody, 62, is in custody, officials said, and has been charged with rape, murder, and kidnapping, WCIV reports. The 17-year-old'...
Sheriff: Man Killed
Girlfriend, Died While
Burying Her Body
May 11, 2022 9:10 AM CDT
Sheriff: Man Killed Girlfriend, Died While Burying Her Body
Joseph McKinnon's body was found first outside South Carolina home
- Joseph McKinnon would be a good candidate for a Darwin award if the details surrounding his demise weren't so grim. Officials say the South Carolina man died of a heart attack during the process of burying his girlfriend, whom he'd strangled to death. The Edgefield County Sheriff's...
on SC Interstate
Caused By ... Pony
Apr 26, 2022 5:41 AM CDT
7-Car Crash on SC Interstate Caused By ... Pony
It's not clear how the animal got there
- A seven-car crash on a South Carolina interstate was caused by a pony, authorities say. The small pony was captured on video prancing through traffic in Spartanburg County on Saturday morning, WYFF-4 reports, and police say it caused a chain reaction of crashes. One person was hospitalized with minor injuries,...
Cops: Frightened Patron Shot
Haunted House Performer
Apr 21, 2022 4:40 PM CDT
Cops: Frightened Patron Shot Haunted House Performer
Keal Latrell Brown told police he thought gun was a prop
- A haunted house performer in South Carolina was shot Saturday for doing his job: scaring people, police say. The performer at the Zombie Experience at the Hollywood Wax Museum Haunted House in Myrtle Beach had scared a group of visitors before he was struck with a bullet to the shoulder,...
Police Identify 2 More Suspects
in South Carolina Mall Shooting
Apr 19, 2022 1:06 AM CDT
Police Identify 2 More Suspects in South Carolina Mall Shooting
One of them has already been arrested
- Authorities on Monday announced the arrest of a second man in connection with Saturday's shootout inside a busy shopping mall in South Carolina's capital, one of two mass shootings that rocked the state over the Easter holiday weekend. Marquise Love Robinson, 20, was taken into custody overnight and...
9 Shot at
Apr 18, 2022 1:00 AM CDT
9 Shot at South Carolina Nightclub
It was the state's second mass shooting of the holiday weekend
- Authorities in South Carolina are investigating a shooting at a nightclub early Sunday that wounded at least nine people. It was the second mass shooting in the state and the third in the nation during the Easter holiday weekend, the AP reports. No one was reported killed in the violence...
SC Mall Shooting Suspect
Was Defending Himself: Lawyer
Apr 18, 2022 12:01 AM CDT
SC Mall Shooting Suspect Was Defending Himself: Lawyer
Jewayne M. Price was shot at, returned fire, his lawyer says
- Jewayne M. Price, a suspect in the South Carolina mall shooting that injured 14 people Saturday, acted in self-defense, his lawyer says. Price, 22, also turned himself in immediately following the shooting, per attorney Todd Rutherford. "He simply defended himself,” Rutherford said at a bond hearing Sunday. “...
Arrest Made in Nation's
Latest Mall Shooting
Apr 17, 2022 6:00 AM CDT
Arrest Made in Nation's Latest Mall Shooting
14 people injured, including nine gunshot victims, ages 15 to 73
- Police have arrested a suspect in connection with a shooting at a busy shopping mall in South Carolina’s capital on Saturday that left 14 people injured. Columbia Police Chief WH “Skip” Holbrook said 22-year-old Jewayne M. Price, who was one of three people initially detained by law enforcement...
Forced to Choose, Inmate
Opts for Firing Squad
Apr 15, 2022 11:49 AM CDT
Forced to Choose, Inmate Opts for Firing Squad
But Richard Moore is still fighting to avoid execution in South Carolina this month
- A South Carolina prisoner has decided to die by firing squad rather than in the electric chair later this month, according to court documents filed Friday. Richard Bernard Moore, 57, is the first state prisoner to face the choice of execution methods after a law went into effect last year...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Agent on Rushdie: 'The News Is Not Good'
They Were Enjoying Happy Hour. Then, 'Pure Panic'
Sinema Received $1M Haul, Then Killed Tax Hike on Rich Investors
Tons of Dead Fish in River: 'Most Likely Dealing With a Crime'
After Guilty Verdict, Defendant Downs Drink in Court and Dies
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.