Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Chicago's Top Cop Resigns
After Lightfoot's Loss
Mar 2, 2023 7:47 AM CST
Chicago's Top Cop Resigns After Lightfoot's Loss
David Brown has faced an uphill battle since he became Chicago's top cop in April 2020
- Lori Lightfoot will not be continuing as Chicago's mayor, and now, her police superintendent is right behind her out the exit door. Per WGN-TV , David Brown, who was picked by Lightfoot in April 2020 to head up the Chicago Police Department, submitted his resignation on Wednesday, less than a...
No One Knows How Attacker
Got So Deep in Cop Compound
Jan 31, 2023 12:03 AM CST
No One Knows How Attacker Got So Deep in Cop Compound
Death toll in suicide bombing at mosque in Peshawar, Pakistan, rises to 83
- A Pakistani hospital spokesman says the death toll from Monday's suicide bombing at a mosque in the northwestern city of Peshawar has risen to 83, the AP reports. Mohammad Asim, the spokesman, says more bodies were retrieved from the rubble of the mosque overnight and early on Tuesday, and...
Memphis Cop 'Relieved of
Duty' Over Nichols Beating
Jan 30, 2023 11:29 AM CST
Memphis Cop 'Relieved of Duty' Over Nichols Beating
Preston Hemphill is 6th Memphis police officer to be disciplined over the brutal arrest
- A sixth Memphis Police Department officer has been disciplined for his involvement in the brutal beating and arrest of Tyre Nichols, a department spokeswoman said Monday. Officer Preston Hemphill was relieved of duty shortly after the Jan. 7 arrest of Nichols, who died three days later at a hospital, said...
Jan 28, 2023 5:40 PM CST
Memphis Police Shut Down Scorpion Unit
Chief reverses after pleas from Tyre Nichols' family, community activists
- The Memphis Police Department announced Saturday that it's disbanding the force's Scorpion unit after five of its officers took part in the fatal beating of Tyre Nichols. Chief Cerelyn Davis said she made the decision after consulting Nichols' family, community leaders, and other officers in the special unit,...
Jury Finds Mostly in Favor
of Police Sued by Soldier
Jan 17, 2023 6:02 PM CST
Jury Finds Mostly in Favor of Police Sued by Soldier
Lt. Caron Nazario was beaten, pepper sprayed during traffic stop in Virginia
- A federal jury in Virginia on Tuesday found mostly in favor of two police officers who were sued by a US Army lieutenant after he was pepper sprayed, struck, and handcuffed during a traffic stop. Video of the 2020 incident in the small town of Windsor got millions of views...
'They're Trying to
George Floyd Me!'
Jan 13, 2023 8:23 AM CST
'They're Trying to George Floyd Me!'
Keenan Anderson, cousin of BLM co-founder, dead after police tasing incident in Los Angeles
- The cousin of a Black Lives Matter co-founder is dead in Los Angeles after police tased him several times following a car crash. The
IDs the man as 31-year-old Keenan Anderson, a father and high school English teacher visiting from DC. The incident in LA's Venice neighborhood...
Cop Detains, Handcuffs
Reporter Outside Bank
Jan 5, 2023 5:55 PM CST
Cop Detains, Handcuffs
Reporter Outside Bank
Dion Rabouin was interviewing people outside bank branch in Phoenix
Wall Street Journal
says it is deeply concerned by the way one of its reporters was treated by police in Phoenix. New York-based reporter Dion Rabouin tells ABC15 he was working on a story about savings accounts and decided to do some man-on-the-street interviews outside a Chase Bank branch...
Pulls a 180 on
Killer Robots Plan
Dec 7, 2022 2:30 AM CST
San Francisco Pulls a 180 on Killer Robots Plan
Police had said robots would be deployed only to 'save or prevent further loss of innocent lives'
- San Francisco supervisors voted Tuesday to put the brakes on a controversial policy that would let police use robots for deadly force, the AP reports. The Board of Supervisors voted unanimously to explicitly ban the use of robots in such fashion for now. But they sent the issue back to...
San Francisco Debates
Use of Killer Robots
Nov 25, 2022 12:45 PM CST
San Francisco Debates Use of Killer Robots
Police want to keep the option open
- San Francisco has long been known as one of America's most liberal cities—but that doesn't mean its police force is opposed to using killer robots. The San Francisco Police Department has proposed authorizing robots to use deadly force in certain situations, the Verge reports. According to a...
Cops: Florida Man Planned
to 'Start a War' With Deputies
Oct 19, 2022 2:13 PM CDT
Cops: Florida Man Planned to 'Start a War' With Deputies
An officer spotted him approaching, armed with four firearms
- A heavily armed man in northeast Florida planned to "start a war" with police, but deputies managed to take him into custody, police say. The Putnam County Sheriff's Office says it received a call around 3:30am Sunday about Interlachen resident Glen Ressler, WTSP reports. The 42-year-old allegedly...
Grim Trend Continues:
Ambushes of Police Officers
Oct 16, 2022 9:45 AM CDT
Grim Trend Continues: Ambushes of Police Officers
Such attacks account for at least two dozen fatalities so far this year
- The shooting deaths of two Connecticut officers and wounding of a third punctuated an especially violent week for police across the US and fit into a grim pattern: Even as more officers left their jobs in the past two years, the number targeted and killed rose. According to organizations that...
4 Cops Charged After Video
of Man Beaten in Traffic Stop
Sep 1, 2022 9:19 AM CDT
4 Cops Charged After Video of Man Beaten in Traffic Stop
Michigan trooper Bram Schroeder accused of punching Vance Martin, while 3 others stood by
- Four police officers in Michigan have been charged after prosecutors say a man pulled over for suspected drunk driving was handcuffed, then assaulted by one of the officers, while the others did nothing to stop him. Per a release from Michigan's Department of Attorney General, Bram Schroeder and Zachary...
Aug 22, 2022 7:20 PM CDT
An Arrest Got Brutal. One Witness Started Recording
Justice Department launches civil rights investigation
This file has been updated with the announcement of a federal investigation.
Three law enforcement officers in Arkansas have been suspended and are at the center of federal and state investigations following accusations they severely beat a suspect outside a Crawford County eatery, an incident recorded by a witness...
Murder Retrial Nears Verdict in
Rule-Breaking Detective's Case
Aug 21, 2022 11:45 AM CDT
Murder Retrial Nears Verdict in Rule-Breaking Detective's Case
Another look at Louis Scarcella's work has resulted in overturned convictions
- In the bloody years when killings peaked in New York City, detective Louis Scarcella built a reputation for closing cases. A second-generation cop who ran marathons, worked a side job at a Coney Island amusement park and jokingly put "adventurer" on his business card, the now-retired sleuth has been...
Court Officer Suspended,
Accused of Ignoring Rape
Aug 12, 2022 5:10 PM CDT
Court Officer Suspended, Accused of Ignoring Rape
New Orleans police make clear it wasn't one of their officers involved
- New Orleans' police chief said it wasn't his officer who failed to intervene in a rape in the city's French Quarter. A witness had reported the crime on July 26, telling a 911 operator that a man was raping an unconscious woman while an officer about a block...
Woman Says She Gave
Cops 'White Privilege Card'
Jul 14, 2022 5:20 PM CDT
Woman Says She Gave Cops 'White Privilege Card'
Police in Anchorage are investigating
- The Anchorage Police Department says it's investigating a woman's claim that she was pulled over by police and didn't receive a ticket after she showed them a "White Privilege Card." In a now-deleted Facebook post, Mimi Israelah said she was pulled over for weaving on...
Cop Mistaken for Suspect,
Beaten Will Lead Boston Police
Jul 13, 2022 11:17 AM CDT
Cop Mistaken for Suspect, Beaten Will Lead Boston Police
Michael Cox was working undercover in 1995 when officers mistook him for suspect
- A former Boston police officer who was beaten more than 25 years ago by colleagues who mistook him for a suspect in a fatal shooting will be the new leader of the city's police department, Mayor Michelle Wu announced Wednesday. The commissioner post is a homecoming for Michael Cox,...
In This State, Filming of
Cops Is Now Restricted
Jul 9, 2022 8:30 AM CDT
In This State, Filming of Cops Is Now Restricted
It's now illegal in Arizona to knowingly record cop 8 feet away or closer without officer's OK
- Arizona's governor has signed a law that restricts how the public can video police at a time when there's growing pressure across the US for greater law-enforcement transparency. Civil rights and media groups opposed the measure that Republican Gov. Doug Ducey signed Thursday. The law makes it illegal...
for a Key
Jun 21, 2022 1:23 PM CDT
'He Waited for a Key That Was Never Needed'
Texas official denounces police response in Uvalde school shooting
- The police official in charge at Robb Elementary School while a gunman was killing students and teachers inside "decided to put the lives of officers ahead of the lives of children," the head of the Texas State Police said Tuesday. In testimony before a special state Senate committee...
Chief Who Displayed
Nazi Insignia Will
Get $1.5M Payout
Jun 12, 2022 8:03 AM CDT
Chief Who Displayed Nazi Insignia Will Get $1.5M Payout
Seattle-area city is paying him to resign
- A suburban Seattle city will pay more than $1.5 million to settle a dispute with a former assistant police chief who was disciplined for posting a Nazi rank insignia on his office door and joking about the Holocaust. Former Kent Assistant Police Chief Derek Kammerzell, who had been with...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
UNLV Shooter Was a 67-Year-Old Professor: Sources
Celebs' Jilted Exes Are Now Dating Each Other
This Could Be Behind 'Mystery' Dog Illnesses
Deputy Killed in Police Chase of Senator's Son
Trump Sets in Motion Fight That May Go to Supreme Court
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.