Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Trump Organization Found Guilty of Tax Fraud
Stories 1 - 20 |
SF Police Can Now
Use Killer Robots
Nov 30, 2022 7:53 AM CST
SF Police Can Now Use Killer Robots
Police say robots will be deployed only to 'save or prevent further loss of innocent lives'
- Supervisors in San Francisco voted Tuesday to give city police the ability to use potentially lethal, remote-controlled robots in emergency situations—following an emotionally charged debate that reflected divisions on the politically liberal board over support for law enforcement. The vote was 8-3, with the majority agreeing to grant police...
San Francisco Debates
Use of Killer Robots
Nov 25, 2022 12:45 PM CST
San Francisco Debates Use of Killer Robots
Police want to keep the option open
- San Francisco has long been known as one of America's most liberal cities—but that doesn't mean its police force is opposed to using killer robots. The San Francisco Police Department has proposed authorizing robots to use deadly force in certain situations, the Verge reports. According to a...
Cops: Florida Man Planned
to 'Start a War' With Deputies
Oct 19, 2022 2:13 PM CDT
Cops: Florida Man Planned to 'Start a War' With Deputies
An officer spotted him approaching, armed with four firearms
- A heavily armed man in northeast Florida planned to "start a war" with police, but deputies managed to take him into custody, police say. The Putnam County Sheriff's Office says it received a call around 3:30am Sunday about Interlachen resident Glen Ressler, WTSP reports. The 42-year-old allegedly...
Grim Trend Continues:
Ambushes of Police Officers
Oct 16, 2022 9:45 AM CDT
Grim Trend Continues: Ambushes of Police Officers
Such attacks account for at least two dozen fatalities so far this year
- The shooting deaths of two Connecticut officers and wounding of a third punctuated an especially violent week for police across the US and fit into a grim pattern: Even as more officers left their jobs in the past two years, the number targeted and killed rose. According to organizations that...
4 Cops Charged After Video
of Man Beaten in Traffic Stop
Sep 1, 2022 9:19 AM CDT
4 Cops Charged After Video of Man Beaten in Traffic Stop
Michigan trooper Bram Schroeder accused of punching Vance Martin, while 3 others stood by
- Four police officers in Michigan have been charged after prosecutors say a man pulled over for suspected drunk driving was handcuffed, then assaulted by one of the officers, while the others did nothing to stop him. Per a release from Michigan's Department of Attorney General, Bram Schroeder and Zachary...
Aug 22, 2022 7:20 PM CDT
An Arrest Got Brutal. One Witness Started Recording
Justice Department launches civil rights investigation
This file has been updated with the announcement of a federal investigation.
Three law enforcement officers in Arkansas have been suspended and are at the center of federal and state investigations following accusations they severely beat a suspect outside a Crawford County eatery, an incident recorded by a witness...
Murder Retrial Nears Verdict in
Rule-Breaking Detective's Case
Aug 21, 2022 11:45 AM CDT
Murder Retrial Nears Verdict in Rule-Breaking Detective's Case
Another look at Louis Scarcella's work has resulted in overturned convictions
- In the bloody years when killings peaked in New York City, detective Louis Scarcella built a reputation for closing cases. A second-generation cop who ran marathons, worked a side job at a Coney Island amusement park and jokingly put "adventurer" on his business card, the now-retired sleuth has been...
Court Officer Suspended,
Accused of Ignoring Rape
Aug 12, 2022 5:10 PM CDT
Court Officer Suspended, Accused of Ignoring Rape
New Orleans police make clear it wasn't one of their officers involved
- New Orleans' police chief said it wasn't his officer who failed to intervene in a rape in the city's French Quarter. A witness had reported the crime on July 26, telling a 911 operator that a man was raping an unconscious woman while an officer about a block...
Woman Says She Gave
Cops 'White Privilege Card'
Jul 14, 2022 5:20 PM CDT
Woman Says She Gave Cops 'White Privilege Card'
Police in Anchorage are investigating
- The Anchorage Police Department says it's investigating a woman's claim that she was pulled over by police and didn't receive a ticket after she showed them a "White Privilege Card." In a now-deleted Facebook post, Mimi Israelah said she was pulled over for weaving on...
Cop Mistaken for Suspect,
Beaten Will Lead Boston Police
Jul 13, 2022 11:17 AM CDT
Cop Mistaken for Suspect, Beaten Will Lead Boston Police
Michael Cox was working undercover in 1995 when officers mistook him for suspect
- A former Boston police officer who was beaten more than 25 years ago by colleagues who mistook him for a suspect in a fatal shooting will be the new leader of the city's police department, Mayor Michelle Wu announced Wednesday. The commissioner post is a homecoming for Michael Cox,...
In This State, Filming of
Cops Is Now Restricted
Jul 9, 2022 8:30 AM CDT
In This State, Filming of Cops Is Now Restricted
It's now illegal in Arizona to knowingly record cop 8 feet away or closer without officer's OK
- Arizona's governor has signed a law that restricts how the public can video police at a time when there's growing pressure across the US for greater law-enforcement transparency. Civil rights and media groups opposed the measure that Republican Gov. Doug Ducey signed Thursday. The law makes it illegal...
for a Key
Jun 21, 2022 1:23 PM CDT
'He Waited for a Key That Was Never Needed'
Texas official denounces police response in Uvalde school shooting
- The police official in charge at Robb Elementary School while a gunman was killing students and teachers inside "decided to put the lives of officers ahead of the lives of children," the head of the Texas State Police said Tuesday. In testimony before a special state Senate committee...
Chief Who Displayed
Nazi Insignia Will
Get $1.5M Payout
Jun 12, 2022 8:03 AM CDT
Chief Who Displayed Nazi Insignia Will Get $1.5M Payout
Seattle-area city is paying him to resign
- A suburban Seattle city will pay more than $1.5 million to settle a dispute with a former assistant police chief who was disciplined for posting a Nazi rank insignia on his office door and joking about the Holocaust. Former Kent Assistant Police Chief Derek Kammerzell, who had been with...
Union Defends Officers
That Watched Man Drown
Jun 9, 2022 10:15 AM CDT
Union Defends Officers That Watched Man Drown
They weren't trained in water rescues, Tempe union says
- Police officers in Tempe, Ariz., who refused to rescue a drowning man were following their training, which doesn't include water rescues, their union says. "Attempting such a high-risk rescue could easily result in the death of the person in the water and the officer, who could be pulled...
At Uvalde City Council
Meeting, a Big No-Show
Jun 8, 2022 6:17 AM CDT
At Uvalde City Council Meeting, a Big No-Show
Embattled school police chief Pete Arredondo, newly elected to council, bailed on his first meeting
- The Texas school district police chief who's been accused of waiting too long to order law enforcement to confront the gunman at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde has said that he'd "eventually" answer questions about the mass shooting that killed 19 students and two teachers last month....
Texas Official: Police Made
'Wrong Decision' at Shooting
May 27, 2022 12:39 PM CDT
Texas Official: Police Made 'Wrong Decision' at Shooting
On-site commander at Uvalde shooting faulted for decision to wait before moving in
- A top Texas law enforcement official said Friday what angry parents have said all along about the delayed police response to the mass shooting in Uvalde: "It was the wrong decision. Period," said Texas Department of Public Safety Director Steven McCraw, reports the
. At a news...
Israel Begins Investigation
of Police Actions at Funeral
May 14, 2022 12:40 PM CDT
Israel Begins Investigation of Police Actions at Funeral
Officers beat mourners during procession for Al Jazeera journalist
: Israeli police announced Saturday they're investigating the actions of officers during a journalist's funeral that became violent. International criticism of the officers, who attacked pallbearers trying to reach a church in Jerusalem, has been widespread since the confrontation Friday, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. President Biden is...
Idaho Officer's Accusation:
Police Chief Broke My Neck
Apr 27, 2022 1:52 PM CDT
Idaho Officer's Accusation: Police Chief Broke My Neck
Sgt. Kirk Rush files tort claim alleging harm at the hands of Boise Police Chief Ryan Lee
- An Idaho police officer alleges his department's chief broke his neck while demonstrating an unusual neck restraint last October. CBS News explains that state law requires a person who intends to sue a government agency to first file a tort claim, which that agency can then respond to. Sgt....
After 2-Year Probe, a 'Scathing'
Report on Minneapolis PD
Apr 27, 2022 12:06 PM CDT
After 2-Year Probe, a 'Scathing' Report on Minneapolis PD
Investigation finds pattern of racial discrimination
- A state investigation launched after George Floyd’s killing in the custody of four Minneapolis police officers has determined that the department engages in a pattern of race discrimination. The state launched its investigation barely a week after Floyd's death on May 25, 2020, and Minnesota's Department of...
A Divisive Reaction to Video of
Syracuse Cops and 8-Year-Old
in case you missed it
Apr 23, 2022 5:20 PM CDT
A Divisive Reaction to Video of Syracuse Cops and 8-Year-Old
Boy was accused of stealing a bag of chips
- If not for Kenneth Jackson, Anthony Weah wouldn't know the full story. Weah was running errands Sunday in Syracuse, New York, when police called to say his sons allegedly stole chips from a store, and could he return home. Weah tells Syracuse.com that he came upon a calm...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
The 'Iconic' Kirstie Alley Is Dead at 71
What We Know About the Power Station Sabotage in NC
Here's How Things Look Ahead of Georgia's Runoff
You Can Keep Procrastinating on That Real ID
Trump Hid a Big Loan While President: Forbes
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.